The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: May 30, 2022, 8:44 pm This whole series is being billed as the rematch of the century, so I think we WILL see them fight again, and Obi Wan win again
One of us is definitely right
And it ain’t me! Haha
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Obi Wan Ep 3 Spoilers

So yeah, definitely wrong about Vader and Obi dueling, since they dueled in this ep, and are now very obviously going to duel again

Very awesome ep, when Vader's sabre lite up out of no where, i audibly gasped.

My only real gripes is how did the Third Sister get ahead of Leia to the pilot without passing her, and how did the other chick go back, come out right where Kenobi and Vader were, and also not come across the third sister. But that's just mild criticism

After some thought im ok with how that duel went and Obi Wan escaping for now, i think the duel showed how washed up Obi Wan is and how easily Vader could have defeated him, but Vader doesn't just want to kill him, as he said, his suffering has only just begun, he very much wants to play with his food here so whilst in the moment i was a bit "oh come on! Vader cant just walk through that fire and grab him?!" now with some reflection i think it makes sense. He wants to torture Obi Wan, not just kill him.

It's going to be a tough scene here to see Vader not realise his own daughter is in his captivity, in the same way its WILD that Vader is standing right next to Leia in a new hope and doesnt feel it! (which we know was because at the time, George Lucus didnt plan Luke and Leia being siblings or Vader being their father)

Im still confused about the grand inquisitor situation as he's in Rebels as the main protagonist and that time line is sets years after when this is supposed to be, i guess they can always wrap up this show and then have the grand inquisitor show up having fully recovered in the bacta tank or something, but they're going to have to do something unless they're just de-canonising Rebels, which is not likely given Ashoka looks to be a direct continuation of that story... im sure by the end of the series it will be wrapped some way

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So ing good
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Also in the TV thread

We Own This City is absolutely incredible. I cant fathom the guy from the Punisher putting in this performance, but it is truly special. Great show.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:Also in the TV thread

We Own This City is absolutely incredible. I cant fathom the guy from the Punisher putting in this performance, but it is truly special. Great show.
I’m dying to watch this show. It’s on Paramount yeah? I’d watch Berenthal in anything.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I watched it via Binge
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Nice. We’re getting Binge for a month so we can watch Our Flag Means Death. So I’ll make sure to smash it in at the same time.

Big weekend for me. Aiming to finish Moon Knight, catch up on Obi-Wan and start The Boys. Ambitious, but I’m set.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Nice. We’re getting Binge for a month so we can watch Our Flag Means Death. So I’ll make sure to smash it in at the same time.

Big weekend for me. Aiming to finish Moon Knight, catch up on Obi-Wan and start The Boys. Ambitious, but I’m set.
It's great to see people set themselves lofty goals and reaching for the stars!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Anyone else been watching Stranger Things S4? I was expecting ST to be a downhill slide but this series has been cracking so far IMO. I have 2 episodes to go, episode 4 has been my favourite so far.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I just finished ep 4 and agree, it was awesome. I thought S3 was a bit of a letdown and was really debating whether to watch this one, but it’s been really good.

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just watched Ep 1 of Kenobi, and yeah I’m enjoying what I’m seeing. It could have done without the chase scene in the forest. 3 dudes being out manoeuvred by a 10 year old who can barely run was a bit 90s kids movie, but that was my only fault.

I’m intrigued what they’re going to do with the “Help me Obi-Wan” message in terms of continuity. If she knows Obi-Wan before A New Hope, then there’s going to be a continuity issue. Why only mention that he served her father during the clone wars, and not “Hey, remember when you rescued me?”

Nickman's love of NSW
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: June 2, 2022, 9:59 pm Also in the TV thread

Very keen for this. Anything even remotely attached to David Simon and Ed Burns is at the top of my list.

I've got to finish a Tokyo Vice (very, very good thus far) and The Offer first, then jumping on this.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

@Botman 3rd sister has seen the jedi writing and knows straight away that tunnel has to go to the port so just goes straight there from the town.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: June 5, 2022, 3:40 pm @Botman 3rd sister has seen the jedi writing and knows straight away that tunnel has to go to the port so just goes straight there from the town.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Yeah i guess that could work. But she did walk into the tunnel, i guess we never see her take off and run down it
Im willing to swallow that because the show is so damn good that ill let it cut a lot of corners... so yeah, that'll work, nice one Bonehead!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'm loving Kenobi so much, it really is a damned shame the next episode is dropping the same night as Origin I!

Ah well, hopefully I'll be able to avoid spoilers and catch a replay of the Origin match somewhere.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Television Thread

I’ve caught up with Kenobi, and I’m liking what I’ve seen. There will for sure be another duel. It’s 2-1 in Vaders favour, that ledger has to balance doesn’t it? I did find the whole “Hey whack on this hat and trench coat and stuff the kid under there. No one will expect a thing” move a touch on the ‘Come on now’ side, but it’s just a minor critique. Well, that and she was just chilling in security chatting to Ben surrounded by other officers and not an eyelid was raised.

Also finished Moon Knight. I was a bit meh about it. It started off so strong, but then I felt it kind of petered out at the end. I don’t know what I wanted out of that show, but I wanted more than what I got.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I quite enjoyed Moon Knight in the moment, like the show itself was IMO, well written and a good self contained story and i liked how the handled a lot of it... but i agree it's fairly meh/forgettable once you're out of it. Hawke and Issac were fantastic in it, the scenes with those guys just talking were electric.

But it didnt progress anything in the universe and maybe not every story has to be about that, and maybe that'll be the way Marvel balances the fatigue factor with content demand, by making some of this stuff not essential to the overall arc of the story, so you dont HAVE to watch everything (i think Ms Marvel is heading this route too, even though i quite liked that first ep too)

But yeah, i wanted more
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah, I think for me it was the opposite of Batman, I wanted more of the suit. The last ep where you see Steven and Mark working together was really well done. I think a 2nd season will give me what I’m after.

Also, Oscar Isaacs has really won me over this year. Hadn’t really seen him in much, and until about 3 months ago I thought he was the same guy from Numbers and 10 Things I Hate About You. Really liked Poe and I liked his performance in Moon Knight.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FINALLY got around to watching the Wire, coming off We Own This City motivated me to finally do it
i've smashed through almost all of it over the last 2 weeks... got 4 eps to go and my goodness. What a show.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You hadn’t watched The Wire Botman?

S4 is the peak. Brilliant show.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah agree with Gangers. Wire used to be my train show back in the day.

Fun fact: When Idris Elba was on The Office, they wanted him to use his English accent and have Charles be this arrogant English character. Then The Wire happened and they changed the character to make him American.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: June 13, 2022, 9:50 pm You hadn’t watched The Wire Botman?

S4 is the peak. Brilliant show.
Never. I had tried it a couple of times but then it just feel off after 2-3 eps and i'd forget and then try again a year later. 2 of those times where when i was off on paternity leave with newborns, which was admitted a **** terrible time to try and immerse myself into something new :lol:

Finally just ripped through it, just finished the last ep this morning.
Season 4 was incredible... That little **** faced **** Kenard will long live as a hated TV character now :lol:
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The Wire is the highest quality television you’ll ever watch. I’ve watched it twice through. Good to see a lot of the actors littered through We Own This City. On a side note, I was actually in Baltimore last week.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

the bone wrote:The Wire is the highest quality television you’ll ever watch. I’ve watched it twice through. Good to see a lot of the actors littered through We Own This City. On a side note, I was actually in Baltimore last week.
The Wire is very very good, but any knowledgeable TV fan must admit that it doesn’t have the acting chops of what we saw in Channel 7s The Matty Johns show from a decade ago.

You can’t honestly tell me that The Wire wouldn’t have been ten times better if they’d written in Reg Reagan and Trent the flight attendant as key characters.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: June 14, 2022, 12:31 pm The Wire is the highest quality television you’ll ever watch. I’ve watched it twice through. Good to see a lot of the actors littered through We Own This City. On a side note, I was actually in Baltimore last week.
I think it's probably right there for me with Breaking Bad as the best TV series i've watched.
Really exceptional writing and acting, and thematically just delivers on it's message so clearly and forcefully
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I really enjoyed the beginning of the wire but didn't like the season focused on the Dock workers, and never got past that season - was it S3?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: June 14, 2022, 8:11 pm I really enjoyed the beginning of the wire but didn't like the season focused on the Dock workers, and never got past that season - was it S3?
S2... and i dont know if it was just that heaps of people told me it was terrible, so i adjusted my expectations but i actually liked S2.
Season 5 was awesome but i was more invested in the dock worker stuff than the Baltimore Sun newspaper angle in S5
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think that’s right. If you’re not expecting it the sudden shift of S2 away from what you’ve come to enjoy from S1 is jarring. But if you push through then you get the tie backs and pay off.

If you’re told S2 sucks I imagine that prepares you and the shift isn’t as jarring.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I enjoyed S5 too but I think it generally gets ranked lower because it pushed the believability envelope a bit far. But from a story perspective, very enjoyable still.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: June 14, 2022, 9:01 pm I think that’s right. If you’re not expecting it the sudden shift of S2 away from what you’ve come to enjoy from S1 is jarring. But if you push through then you get the tie backs and pay off.

If you’re told S2 sucks I imagine that prepares you and the shift isn’t as jarring.
I also really liked the character arc Ziggy and Frank
Like all the good characters on the show, they werent inheritently good or bad, just two guys trying to get by. Frank just wanted to keep the docks busy and keep his poeple employed and earning, by any means and the slippery slope led his son down a path he was not eqippped to deal with... i liked that they took some time to show that the broken system effected everyone.

Edit: This is so self indulgent because every one else has seen this a long time ago, but im fresh all i want to do is talk about it :lol:
But i wonder if the S5 newspaper theme didnt land with me because we've already lived through that and seen it play out in real time to such an extent that its not that interesting and print media like papers just doesnt resonate with me now, i wonder how that would have hit at the time.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Interesting, I was going to watch The Wire at the start of this year, had heard good things about it but never watched an episode. Only thing that put me off is that I didn’t think the TV series would hold up today being 2 decades old, but it sounds like it does.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Any Peaky Blinders fans in the group? I’m excited about the new season that’s dropped. Torn between binging that and The Boys next

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: June 15, 2022, 7:21 am Interesting, I was going to watch The Wire at the start of this year, had heard good things about it but never watched an episode. Only thing that put me off is that I didn’t think the TV series would hold up today being 2 decades old, but it sounds like it does.
It definitely holds up
and it being available on Binge was great too, because the picture quality was HD where as previous i had... acquired... it by other means and it was the picture quality of how it was when it aired, which took me out of it a bit
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

latest Kenobi ep took a tough turn for me
A lot of story and character arc choices that i dont think made a ton of sense.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There’s a new series of Love Island UK on Nine Now! There’s a new villa!