The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Botman »

Man, i really dont know what to think of the finale.
I enjoyed the series and am looking forward to the next season but there is quite a bit going on there
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

The Television Thread

Post by The Nickman »

Has to be a Season 2 now to wrap up half the storyline and I’d suggest another season of Mando to wrap up/continue the other half.

Or maybe that’s where Rangers of the New Republic starring the only cop in the galaxy comes in?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I have to say I was disappointed with the finale. It sets up another series,but the finale was more like a filler to me.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

The Television Thread

Post by The Nickman »

I knew it would be largely unsatisfying simply based of the fact there were too many threads to close in 45 minutes, half a bottle of red and three pieces of hot and spicy
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think more than the unsatisfying ending where loose ends were not tied up, im actually most disappointed in the direction they took with Sabine and am disappointed generally with other decisions made about how characters went about things

But mostly i think i could have been at peace with it if not for the Sabine decision
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I’ll PM you about this, because it’s honestly way too early to post spoilers in this thread
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I reckon the Ahsoka finale was a bit like Josh McCrone's career with the Raiders. Good start with the promise of exciting things to happen but in the end meh.

In future series I'll be interested on where Baylan Skoll's character goes given the passing this year of the actor who played Baylon, Ray Stevenson. I guess animation can do wonders for what form he may take.

I know a lot of Star Wars story lines are based on Norse myths and legends and the the natural world. I wondered about the name of the planet Peridea: Peridea is a genus of moths of the family Notodontidae. The creatures living on Peridea, portrayed in the Ahsoka series were called Noti. That's my trivia for the day.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Nickman and i were talking about this last night
They're just going to have to recast Skoll's character. And it's such a shame because Ray Stevenson did such a phenomenal job with it. I think it's the character in the show i was most interested in.
Going to be a hard act to follow.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:Nickman and i were talking about this last night
They're just going to have to recast Skoll's character. And it's such a shame because Ray Stevenson did such a phenomenal job with it. I think it's the character in the show i was most interested in.
I’m confident they’ll be able to do it though. They’ve done a simply sensational job of casting Ezra and Hera, and a good job of Ahsoka and Sabine, so a recast of Skoll surely isn’t out of the question?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I read an article with speculated on a couple of people who could be good castings to replace Stevenson and two in particular struck me as quite good.

Iain Glen (Jorah GOT) and Sean Bean (Ned GOT, Boromir LOTR)
Both could do a good job of being that sort of big, brutish power sword wielder but both have shown to be effective in line delivery in the same way the Baylon Skoll's character needs.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

If they go with Sean Bean, you know he won’t be long in the world
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

There were a couple of references to the term 'Ronin' in the finale episode. Probably co-incidence but Sean Bean played a role in the movie of that name. I wonder if Sean Bean would play a good clean Bean or a mean Bean. Hard to predict which way they will write Baylon Skoll's future path. He played a real mean Bean very well, in movies like Golden Eye and Patriot Games.

Iain Glen probably has the more cultured voice.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Practice is one of my favourite TV shows of all time. The whole series is now on Disney Plus. I had originally missed the opening month of the first series and have finally caught up. Puts some characters in more context. Still holds up 25 years later. The spin off, Boston Legal also one of my all time favourite shows.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finished watching Season 1 of The Bear and then Season 2. It’s no doubt very well written, acted and produced television. Season 2 fairly different in character and probably better. But I can’t say I really liked the show much. So much screaming at each other all at once.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Nickman wrote: October 6, 2023, 7:55 am
I’m confident they’ll be able to do it though. They’ve done a simply sensational job of casting Ezra and Hera, and a good job of Ahsoka and Sabine, so a recast of Skoll surely isn’t out of the question?
There was that rock carving in the final episode which means they will likely go for a 'look alike' person for Baylon Skoll.

Some yet to be answered questions - How was it possible for Ezra and Thrawn to be on the same planet and Thrawn apparently not be aware Ezra was there? Then how did Ezra get off Thrawns ship without Thrawn knowing and not attempt to destroy him for being a Jedi and therefore a threat? If there is to be a series 2, I'd like to know the answers to these questions early in the series. Could Thrawn and Esra be in cahoots? Lots of other questions for another time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Finished watching Season 1 of The Bear and then Season 2. It’s no doubt very well written, acted and produced television. Season 2 fairly different in character and probably better. But I can’t say I really liked the show much. So much screaming at each other all at once.
You never worked in a kitchen, m8?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote:
There was that rock carving in the final episode which means they will likely go for a 'look alike' person for Baylon Skoll.

Some yet to be answered questions - How was it possible for Ezra and Thrawn to be on the same planet and Thrawn apparently not be aware Ezra was there? Then how did Ezra get off Thrawns ship without Thrawn knowing and not attempt to destroy him for being a Jedi and therefore a threat? If there is to be a series 2, I'd like to know the answers to these questions early in the series. Could Thrawn and Esra be in cahoots? Lots of other questions for another time.
That rock carving was the Father, it wasn’t Baylan.

And the answer to your other questions is the Force. The Force did it.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Nickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Finished watching Season 1 of The Bear and then Season 2. It’s no doubt very well written, acted and produced television. Season 2 fairly different in character and probably better. But I can’t say I really liked the show much. So much screaming at each other all at once.
You never worked in a kitchen, m8?
You should see how he talks to his own kitchen staff. Turns back food because his servant had a mole on his face.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dave Chang who is a HC of his resturant Momofuku in US has said he thinks the bear is the accurate protrayal of what it is like to set up and run a resturaant he's ever seen. Good enough for me.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Nickman wrote: October 23, 2023, 6:38 pm
RedRaider wrote:

Nickman, I reckon it is Baylan's link to Peridea and what he referred to as a higher purpose when talking to Shin Hati. Lots to be answered in a second series. How did Thrawn get the night sisters of Dathomir on side?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: October 23, 2023, 6:38 pm
RedRaider wrote:

Nickman, I reckon it is Baylan's link to Peridea and what he referred to as a higher purpose when talking to Shin Hati. Lots to be answered in a second series. How did Thrawn get the night sisters of Dathomir on side?
Because of The Force, Red.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Liev Schreiber is another one who could work as Baylen.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

hrundi89 wrote: October 30, 2023, 11:33 am Liev Schreiber is another one who could work as Baylen.
Yeah Ive seen that name thrown out as a suggestion and i dont hate it.
I just hope Disney dont let the character die with the actor as they did with T'Challa and Chadwick Boseman
And i get being respectful to the performance and granted there is a lot more story and lore to explore with T'Challa and it's a little different but where it's similar is that entire arc and his history is such an exciting thing for Star Wars to explore... so much that could be told through that character. And T'Challa was also such a pivotal role and axis to build the MCU around that i think it hurt them to write around Boseman's death to hand the mantle on to Shuri and would have made more sense to simply recast the character and continue to tell T'Challa stories.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

If you guys want to watch an excellent show, truly outstanding writing, watch Bodies on Netflix.

Honestly the best show we’ve watched this year.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We watched it what feels like a while ago now. I thought it was enjoyable enough but my wife absolutely loved it.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Is GE watching the latest version of Love Island Australia? A family friend is on it and I need updates without actually being subjected to watching it.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Of course. Who is it?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Of course. Who is it?
Tasia. Her old man has been the QLD government rep in Taiwan for just about forever. Really good guy.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: December 3, 2023, 6:01 pm
Tasia. Her old man has been the QLD government rep in Taiwan for just about forever. Really good guy.

Just got dumped. Arrived vey late, dumped very quickly. Didn’t make much impact. Shouldn’t have trusted Reid.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:

Just got dumped. Arrived vey late, dumped very quickly. Didn’t make much impact. Shouldn’t have trusted Reid.
I don't really understand any of that, but it sounds bad.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: December 3, 2023, 6:36 pm
greeneyed wrote:

I don't really understand any of that, but it sounds bad.

She was a bombshell but it wasn’t blast for her. She’s off the show.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

That all just sounds so horrible.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:That all just sounds so horrible.
I honestly don't know how anybody watches it, especially someone who clearly has exceptional taste in other ways / areas. Fine food and wine, holiday destinations, classic movies, love island....

I turned it on a few years ago and tried to understand GEs attraction to the show and it was dreadful. I'll never get those two minutes back.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gerg wrote: December 4, 2023, 10:08 am
The Nickman wrote:That all just sounds so horrible.
I honestly don't know how anybody watches it, especially someone who clearly has exceptional taste in other ways / areas. Fine food and wine, holiday destinations, classic movies, love island....

I turned it on a few years ago and tried to understand GEs attraction to the show and it was dreadful. I'll never get those two minutes back.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I hate all those shows, genuinely can't stand them at all. Each to their own, I s'pose, but Jesus Christ, we now have unlimited content at our fingertips, so why people choose to consume reality TV is beyond my level of comprehension.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Theres only two reality shows I have any time for.
1. Great British Bake-off - No prize money, so it shows off the best in humanity. Everyone’s nice and happy to help each other and have fun.

2. Moonshiners, Master Distillers - These four judges have figured out how to get paid to drink other people’s home made hooch. You can barely understand a word any of them say, and they’re competing for things like Copper or some tacky decanter.

Nickman's love of NSW