The Soccer/Football Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: The Soccer/Football Thread

Post by PNGRaider37 »

Umm.. yeah. Thats exactly what he did. When the VAR calls go your way it's alll good. Shoes on the other foot now🙃 spursy🤡
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

PNGRaider37 wrote: December 30, 2023, 4:22 pm Umm.. yeah. Thats exactly what he did. When the VAR calls go your way it's alll good. Shoes on the other foot now🙃 spursy🤡
I don't get your point, unless you think studs up direct contact with a player should not be a red card offence. Spurs have had Romero sent off after first making contact with the ball and then the top of his boot making contact with an opposition player. No complaint from Ange as contact had been made. Studs first contact should be a red card imo regardless of the team committing the contact.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

As I posted first up. He said after the LFC game when a VAR error/decision favoured his team "we should respect the officials and get on with it." Now when it goes against him - he changes his tone 👀 spursy🤡
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

PNGRaider37 wrote: December 30, 2023, 9:21 pm As I posted first up. He said after the LFC game when a VAR error/decision favoured his team "we should respect the officials and get on with it." Now when it goes against him - he changes his tone 👀 spursy🤡
Wasn't that a close off side ruling against Liverpool?? This is about a foul committed which has the possibility of severely damaging an ankle or leg. Two very different things. You don't seem able to answer if studs first contact should be a red card.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

u brought up the studs. I'm just talkin bout his post match comments 🤷🏾‍♂️ Well.. the hypocrisy of them. Spursy🤡
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

PNGRaider37 wrote: December 31, 2023, 6:36 am u brought up the studs. I'm just talkin bout his post match comments 🤷🏾‍♂️ Well.. the hypocrisy of them. Spursy🤡
But the studs contact was what Ange's comments were about. Nothing at all about off side rulings which every side gets. The comment from Ange was directly about the tackle which was studs up and direct contact with a player and not the ball. I've included the link again which shows the tackle in case you missed it first time around. That tackle happening to any player, the offender should be shown a red card.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... d9c68046da
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RedRaider wrote: December 31, 2023, 3:59 pm
PNGRaider37 wrote: December 31, 2023, 6:36 am u brought up the studs. I'm just talkin bout his post match comments 🤷🏾‍♂️ Well.. the hypocrisy of them. Spursy🤡
But the studs contact was what Ange's comments were about. Nothing at all about off side rulings which every side gets. The comment from Ange was directly about the tackle which was studs up and direct contact with a player and not the ball. I've included the link again which shows the tackle in case you missed it first time around. That tackle happening to any player, the offender should be shown a red card.

Good lord 🙄 Let it go. I get it - he's an Aussie. Dont have to just go along with all he says. He's learned quick how things can change in the EPL. criticized VAR a couple months after saying we should "accept" that theyll get it wrong and move on (I know I am from this 😂 ). Hypocrite spursy🤡
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

PNGRaider37 wrote: December 31, 2023, 6:36 pm

Good lord 🙄 Let it go. I get it - he's an Aussie. Dont have to just go along with all he says. He's learned quick how things can change in the EPL. criticized VAR a couple months after saying we should "accept" that theyll get it wrong and move on (I know I am from this 😂 ). Hypocrite spursy🤡
Still nothing from you about studs up contact being a red card. Simple question, difficult answer it seems.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Spurs welcome in the Australian New Year with a 3-1 victory over Bournemouth. In a surprise, Bentancur returns from injury earlier than expected. Ange changes from his usual set up of 4-2-3-1, to 4-3-3 for this match. Goals to Sarr, Son and Richarlison for Spurs before Bournemouth get one back. African Cup of Nations will mean Sarr and Bissouma are unavailable for the rest of January and depending on results into February. Also Son will play Asia Cup and also be unavailable until February.

Spurs have released former Captain and goal keeper Hugo Lloris to Los Angeles FC. A fine player who had more than 400 matches for Spurs. Vicario has over taken him as goal keeper this season. I wish him well in the USA.

Spurs next match is FA Cup 3rd round against Burnley this Saturday, before playing Manchester United on 15 January in Premier League.

In an unexpected result Fulham have beaten Arsenal 2-1. Two more matches in this round to play, Liverpool v Newcastle tomorrow and then West Ham v Brighton on Wednesday.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Wild the games Arsenal are dropping.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

RedRaider wrote:
PNGRaider37 wrote: December 31, 2023, 6:36 am u brought up the studs. I'm just talkin bout his post match comments Image Well.. the hypocrisy of them. SpursyImage

Good lord Image Let it go. I get it - he's an Aussie. Dont have to just go along with all he says. He's learned quick how things can change in the EPL. criticized VAR a couple months after saying we should "accept" that theyll get it wrong and move on (I know I am from this Image ). Hypocrite spursyImage
Still nothing from you about studs up contact being a red card. Simple question, difficult answer it seems.
Don’t pay them much attention Red. They’re stirring the pot.

Saw Kewell is leaving Celtic to take up the Yokohama gig. Will be seeing how he goes. He had mixed success in League 2, had the deck stacked against him in Notts.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

zim wrote: January 1, 2024, 3:11 am Wild the games Arsenal are dropping.
Bottling it again
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RedRaider wrote: January 1, 2024, 2:19 am

still carryin on 😂 ange will be studded out of the EPL next season, matter of time. Spursy🤡
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

PNGRaider37 wrote: January 1, 2024, 9:48 am

still carryin on 😂 ange will be studded out of the EPL next season, matter of time. Spursy🤡
Still no answers to a very simple question. Ho Hum.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Liverpool being held to nil all at half time have put on an attacking clinic to beat Newcastle 4-2. This puts Liverpool clearly on top of the League and they will take some catching from this point.

1. Liverpool - 45
2. Aston Villa - 42
3. Manchester City - 40 (they also have a deferred game to play)
4. Arsenal - 40
5. Tottenham - 39
6. West Ham - 33
7. Manchester United - 31
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RedRaider wrote: January 2, 2024, 8:10 am Liverpool being held to nil all at half time have put on an attacking clinic to beat Newcastle 4-2. This puts Liverpool clearly on top of the League and they will take some catching from this point.

1. Liverpool - 45
2. Aston Villa - 42
4. Arsenal - 40
5. Tottenham - 39
6. West Ham - 33
Not confident at all in this LFC team. Not clinical and concede easily on the break. City still everyones favourites. Salah out for a month will be difficult to deal with.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RedRaider wrote: January 2, 2024, 8:01 am
PNGRaider37 wrote: January 1, 2024, 9:48 am

Still no answers to a very simple question. Ho Hum.
Nah mate, u just cant let it go .. new year new us. I'll leave it there. Peace 🙏🏾
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

PNGRaider37 wrote: January 2, 2024, 10:26 am
RedRaider wrote: January 2, 2024, 8:10 am Liverpool being held to nil all at half time have put on an attacking clinic to beat Newcastle 4-2. This puts Liverpool clearly on top of the League and they will take some catching from this point.

1. Liverpool - 45
2. Aston Villa - 42
4. Arsenal - 40
5. Tottenham - 39
6. West Ham - 33
Not confident at all in this LFC team. Not clinical and concede easily on the break. City still everyones favourites. Salah out for a month will be difficult to deal with.
Liverpool only have one more Premier League match in January against Bournemouth on 22/1/24. Even without Salah, I reckon Liverpool have more than enough strike power to defeat the 12th placed Bournemouth.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RedRaider wrote: January 2, 2024, 11:51 pm
PNGRaider37 wrote: January 2, 2024, 10:26 am

1. Liverpool - 45
2. Aston Villa - 42
4. Arsenal - 40
5. Tottenham - 39
6. West Ham - 33
Liverpool only have one more Premier League match in January against Bournemouth on 22/1/24. Even without Salah, I reckon Liverpool have more than enough strike power to defeat the 12th placed Bournemouth.
Egypt are one of the stronger AFCON teams. In all likelihood they make the semis so he's out till at least early Feb. So he could miss the Chelsea and Arsenal game also.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Spurs defeat Burnley 1-0 in the 3rd round FA Cup match this morning. A cracking goal from right back Pedro Porro who is outside the penalty area when he hits a fine dipping shot into the top left of the goal. Fair to say Spurs missed the likes of Son and Sarr who are away representing their countries in the Asia Cup and Africa Cup of Nations. Good to see Sessegnon get some minutes in his first game back from injury since last season. Although he did not get any minutes, also good to see Van de ven on the bench. He has trained with the side so must be getting close to a return. He has been sorely missed. Also unclear when Maddison will return.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Wolves and Brentford played a 1 all draw following a send off for a studs up challenge. I reckon straight red cards are needed to reduce this blight on the game.

"Ten-man Wolves rescued a 1-1 draw at Brentford thanks to Tommy Doyle’s stunning strike.

Wolves midfielder Joao Gomes was sent off after just nine minutes for an ugly studs-up challenge on Christian Norgaard."
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

LFC surprised me this morning when I switched on my phone. Expected a draw at best. A fighting performance from an understrength team against a wasteful Arsenal. Klopp showing why he's in a different class with that win.

More tests to come in the next month but a good start to life without (temporarily) Salah and Endo.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

PNGRaider37 wrote: January 8, 2024, 1:04 pm LFC surprised me this morning when I switched on my phone. Expected a draw at best. A fighting performance from an understrength team against a wasteful Arsenal. Klopp showing why he's in a different class with that win.

More tests to come in the next month but a good start to life without (temporarily) Salah and Endo.
Liverpool hit the woodwork as well. Plenty of strike in the team thanks to the way Klopp has them structured to play.

Spurs have acquired former Chelsea forward Timo Werner on a loan deal until the end of this season.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tottenham Hotspur have drawn Manchester City in Round 4 of the FA Cup. It will be a home game for Spurs.

Because there are 8 games to be replayed from Round 3, some of the matches in Rd 4 are still To Be Determined. The full list of Rd 4 matches as it stands are set out in the link below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fa+cup& ... p0;mt;fp;1;;;
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

One of the all time greats 'Kaiser' Franz Beckenbauer has passed away.

Not only did he Captain and play in a winning German World Cup side he also coached a winning German World Cup side. A remarkable player.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-09/ ... /103296866
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Spurs have signed Romanian International centre back Radu Dragusin from Genoa. A welcome defensive reinforcement following injury to Van de ven and Romero. Good news is Van de ven will be available against Man United on Monday.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Australia play India tonight in Qatar to open the Asia Cup campaign. Good luck to the Socceroos.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Australia have opened up the Asia Cup with a 2-0 win over India. The side looked very rusty in the first half and the score was nil all at half time. Long time favorite Goodwin was having a match to forget. Irvine scored early in the second half. Goodwin was then replaced by Bos and with his first touch he slotted home a cross from McGree. A game to get the rust out. Next up is Syria on Thursday at 10:30pm our time.

Current Asia Cup Champions Qatar had an impressive 3-0 victory over Lebanon.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I didn’t even know IND had a football team.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-PJ- wrote: January 14, 2024, 5:03 am I didn’t even know IND had a football team.
They are not a bad side, being very fast on both wings. They are fairly skillful but need a better coach. They play a packed defence and then try to counter attack via long balls but that makes them prone to losing possession. Australian defenders Souttar, Rowles and Behich kept picking the long ball off and then kept possession to set up another attack. The Australian finishing was not good in this game. 28 shots and only 6 on target for 2 goals. Australia looked far better once substitutes Riley McGree and Jordi Bos came on. McGree so good on the right and Bos on the left. 21 year old Bos is playing as a left back in Belgium but last nights game changed when he replaced Goodwin on the left wing. Very cool on the ball and creates opportunity for others with his passing.

After one game Australia lead Group B following Syria and Uzbekistan having a nil all draw.
Last edited by RedRaider on January 15, 2024, 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Spurs have played a 2 all draw away to Manchester United. Going behind in the 3rd minute, Richarlison equalised only to see Man U go ahead again to be 2-1 up at half time. One minute into the second half and Bentancur equalises for Spurs. Both sides had opportunity to break the deadlock but it was not to be. Incoming player Werner played 80 minutes on the left flank. He will be better for the run. New player center back Radu Dragusin only played the final 10 minutes and did so in the mid-field due to the number of players unavailable for Spurs because of injury and Asia Cup and AFCON commitments. Losing Kulusevski just before the match was unexpected. Romero returned from injury and played the full game.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Everton again and Nottingham Forrest have been charged under breaches of the Profit and Sustainability Rules.

https://www.espn.com.au/football/story/ ... l-breaches
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

De Bruyne is back. I see LFC dropping points between now and game v Man City at Anfield. Real test of their title credentials in between then. City likely to go on another one of those long winning runs. . we will wait and see.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RedRaider wrote: January 15, 2024, 4:41 am Spurs have played a 2 all draw away to Manchester United. Going behind in the 3rd minute, Richarlison equalised only to see Man U go ahead again to be 2-1 up at half time. One minute into the second half and Bentancur equalises for Spurs. Both sides had opportunity to break the deadlock but it was not to be. Incoming player Werner played 80 minutes on the left flank. He will be better for the run. New player center back Radu Dragusin only played the final 10 minutes and did so in the mid-field due to the number of players unavailable for Spurs because of injury and Asia Cup and AFCON commitments. Losing Kulusevski just before the match was unexpected. Romero returned from injury and played the full game.
Bout as much as you could expect from both sides this season. Concede goals (big chances) and lack killer instinct. Either One could end up getting UCL, Europa League or Conference League at seasons end - it's that volatile.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Second round of the Group games in the Asia Cup begin tonight with China v Lebanon. In the first round all of the favorites for each group winners with Qatar (the current title holders), Japan, South Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia all victorious. Jordan defeating Malaysia was not unexpected but the 4 nil score line was. Jordan play South Korea on Saturday night. Australia v Syria on Thursday night at 10:30pm live on free to air TV.