The Religion Thread

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Folau in the Canberra Raiders' sights?

Post by The Nickman »

Schifty wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2018, 8:24 pm Maybe people can just focus on the issue... not the person? It is a classic example of focusing on the person... not the issue.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
True, but the issue is people in positions where they have more influence using a platform to spread hate.

He is currently the self proclaimed CEO, President and Junior Vice President of this club.
Not to mention Admins on particular Internet forums
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:
T_R wrote:He's an attention seeking knob.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Maybe just focus on the issue, not the person
Focus on the knob?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

reptar wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
T_R wrote:He's an attention seeking knob.

Maybe just focus on the issue, not the person
Focus on the knob?
No! You're not listening at all!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

I didn't think Israel would like that at all, T_R, so I had to clarify!
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

why is there a need to focus on the person or issue here?
They are intrinsically linked. You cant discuss Folau as a potential target without considering the views he has now expressed publicly a number of times, views that do not fit the values of 2018 and do not fit the values of this club's core community.

The ISSUES are the person. This is what i allude to with regards to over moderation. We're all adults here, or at least 13+, this is a fair and reasonable discussion to have...

Folau, as talented as he is... is a 29 year old, ball running fullback, 5 odd years out of the code, with prehistoric views on the LGBTI+ community a good fit for this code and club?

How much should his objectively awful attitudes toward minorities matter to a club like ours?

Do the dubby's of our Raiders world offset the Reptars of our Raiders world? What's the net gain/loss? This actually matters in relation to this potential signing.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote: May 8, 2018, 7:52 pm Where have the daily reminders been Reptar?? You got slack and now Folau is back to being a complete **** on Social Media.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... y28zsr6qiq

I posted this in the politics thread as I didn’t want to restart this **** storm but should’ve known I could count on you :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

It takes all types and if I thought he'd bring us a premiership I'd probably happily separate his stupidity from that. After it's his opinion and he had to live with it. I couldn't give two **** what he thought of me or if I was going to eternal hell. In fact I feel sorry for him that he believes such ridiculous things, and he should really look into himself and question whether blindly following religious doctrine makes him a better person
Big hint: it probably doesn't.

This doesn't matter though, because he's not going to bring us a premiership. Just like he hasn't brought the Wallabies many Bledisloe Cup series wins. He could absolutely be part of a premiership team, but the amount we'd have to pay would prevent it from happening.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote: May 8, 2018, 8:05 pm

Other way round. The media is attention seeking, and using him as click bait.

It's his own personal Twitter account. He's not hurting anyone. He's sharing his beliefs, whether you agree with them or not is not the point.
As you know being a mod social media is not “personal”, especially when you’re a well paid celebrity who has contractual obligations to represent your employer.

Whether you agree with him or not he’s breaking his contract and showing no regard for his employer, sponsors or fans.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

reptar wrote: May 8, 2018, 8:44 pm I didn't think Israel would like that at all, T_R, so I had to clarify!
I think he secretly would, there’s a bit of research that supports the idea the strongest homophobes secretly crave it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:
reptar wrote: May 8, 2018, 8:44 pm I didn't think Israel would like that at all, T_R, so I had to clarify!
I think he secretly would, there’s a bit of research that supports the idea the strongest homophobes secretly crave it.
Absolutely makes sense from what I’ve seen on this forum, been saying it for years too
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Manbush wrote:
Research, or wishful thinking on some people's behalf?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Scientific American is a pretty reputable site.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... mosexuals/

Would also explain why a lot of American Evangelicals and preachers get caught after preaching against them.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

reptar wrote: May 8, 2018, 9:10 pm
Manbush wrote:
Does anecdotal evidence of the big anti-gay republicans getting caught in airport bathrooms count?
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Schifty wrote:
reptar wrote: May 8, 2018, 9:10 pm
Manbush wrote:
Does anecdotal evidence of the big anti-gay republicans getting caught in airport bathrooms count?
No, because no-one wants to see that video evidence. Ever.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

He doth protest too much
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'll be honest here.

I always had difficulty subscribing to the eternal punishment thing. I subscribed to the annhialisation theory: no eternal punishment, you just cease to exist.

Since this whole subject came up again and I was confronted by Nickman about what I believed.....I realised I needed to find out once and for all.

So I've started doing some reading.

And it's confronting. I'll save that for the religion thread.

Look it's not purely homosexuals who go to hell......there are gay people who love Christ and live a Christian life. They go to heaven.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:I'll be honest here.

I always had difficulty subscribing to the eternal punishment thing. I subscribed to the annhialisation theory: no eternal punishment, you just cease to exist.

Since this whole subject came up again and I was confronted by Nickman about what I believed.....I realised I needed to find out once and for all.

Look it's not purely homosexuals who go to hell......there are gay people who love Christ and live a Christian life. They go to heaven.
Which means going to hell has absolutely nothing to do with being homosexual, right?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Folau in the Canberra Raiders' sights?

Post by gangrenous »

If hell is ceasing to exist, then chalk me up as thinking we’re all going to hell
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote: May 9, 2018, 8:13 am If hell is ceasing to exist, then chalk me up as thinking we’re all going to hell Image
Here I was thinking it was a place where we were kept as pets by giant cats.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If the choice is go to Heaven and live out eternity with Israel Folau and his ilk, i'll take my chances in Hell with Nickman and his merry band of clique ****.

The great Billy Joel summed this up years ago.... "I’d rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun."
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Pigman wrote: May 9, 2018, 8:18 am If the choice is go to Heaven and live out eternity with Israel Folau and his ilk, i'll take my chances in Hell with Nickman and his merry band of clique ****.

The great Billy Joel summed this up years ago.... "I’d rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun."
Even if it meant spending eternity with me mate? :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No chance, ol mate.
if John God is as vengeful, smitey and as big a **** as i suspect he is, he's got a spot for you carved out in a VIP room in the clouds with Dubby, Pell and Izzy
BOLWE
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Haha cheers mate but I’ll say no to going to the celestial North Korea, much more fun things to do than sit around and stroke the ego of an insecure childlike being. Mind you that would be my hell so if god had a sense of humor that would be fitting punishment.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: May 9, 2018, 7:36 am I'll be honest here.

Also dubs, looking forward to seeing some of the more "confronting" stuff in the Religion thread when you get around to it. I'm always interested in this sort of stuff.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Pigman wrote:If the choice is go to Heaven and live out eternity with Israel Folau and his ilk, i'll take my chances in Hell with Nickman and his merry band of clique ****.

I better be part of the Cachè.

Hell hath no fury like a Punish scorned.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha I'm not going to hell! I'll be sipping red wine and watching Raiders games from the early 90s with Fergus up in heaven!

You clowns can rot in hell with Izzy, dubs and CP.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

The Nickman wrote:Hahaha I'm not going to hell! I'll be sipping red wine and watching Raiders games from the early 90s with Fergus up in heaven!

You clowns can rot in hell with Izzy, dubs and CP.
You ain't going to heaven mate. Neeeegzy says you are bad, bad man. Your ticket in hell has been punched.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote: May 9, 2018, 8:04 am

Which means going to hell has absolutely nothing to do with being homosexual, right?
Correct.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Pigman wrote: May 9, 2018, 8:18 am If the choice is go to Heaven and live out eternity with Israel Folau and his ilk, i'll take my chances in Hell with Nickman and his merry band of clique ****.

Do you get WiFi and twitter down there?

Asking for a friend.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: May 9, 2018, 10:29 am
The Nickman wrote: May 9, 2018, 8:04 am

Correct.
So why did you even use the words "so it's not purely homosexuals" when you actually mean "so it has nothing at all to do with being homosexual". Seems a big difference to me.

And you're basically saying Israel Folau is wrong. And admitting that you should have supported gay marriage, seeing as you got it wrong all along. Glad we had this chat.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

It's the act of homosexuality. Of which, in a gay marriage is likely to occur!

Let's not go over that again.... It's done and dusted.

Israel said gays are going to hell. That's a very glib statement.

There are gay Christians, living a celibate life, loving God and being obedient to the gospels. Are they going to hell? I don't think so!

I just thought it was careless to say "gays are going to hell"..... He's making a blanket statement (which I've done and lived to regret) on a social media platform.... the worst place to discuss sensitive issues like this.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: It's the act of homosexuality. Of which, in a gay marriage is likely to occur!

Let's not go over that again.... It's done and dusted.

Israel said gays are going to hell. That's a very glib statement.

There are gay Christians, living a celibate life, loving God and being obedient to the gospels. Are they going to hell? I don't think so!

I just thought it was careless to say "gays are going to hell"..... He's making a blanket statement (which I've done and lived to regret) on a social media platform.... the worst place to discuss sensitive issues like this.
Ok, so bringing this over from the wrong thread (which dubby said he'd do, but never actually did), are you serious here?? So you're saying provided they don't have sexual intercourse homosexual couples will be fine, but if they have sex they're going to hell??

Where the hell do you get off with this stuff?? Do you realise how deeply offensive it is?
dubby
Don Furner

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by dubby »

Nickman, read the bible. It's there.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: May 9, 2018, 12:14 pm Nickman, read the bible. It's there.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
So is a bunch of other crazy ****, like:

OLD TESTAMENT:

Kings 6:29 - cannibalism
Judges 11:29-40 - human sacrifice
Leviticus 25:44 - slavery
Deuteronomy 13:12-15 - genocide
Leviticus 10:6 - you will die if you rip your clothes
Leviticus 19:19 - breeding cattle is illegal
Leviticus 21 - some bat crazy rules for priests, do not **** young boys should be somewhere there....
Leviticus 20:10 - killing of adulterers
Leviticus 20:13 - killing of gays
Leviticus 20:9 - killing children who dishonor mother or father
Leviticus 24:16 - stoning people if they say God's name
Deuteronomy 28:53 - more cannibalism
Genesis 19:8 - prostituting your virgin daughters
Leviticus 19:19 - not mixing two kinds of material for clothing :-)
Deuteronomy 22:20-21 - more stoning for not being a virgin
Exodus 31:14-15 - killing of people who work on Sabbath
Deuteronomy 25:11-12 - cutting off hands
Deuteronomy 23:1 - you'll not go to heaven if your testicles are damaged
Leviticus 19:27 - no haircuts of any kind
Leviticus 19:28 - no tattoos, or else
Leviticus 11:7-8 - eating pork is forbidden

NEW TESTAMENT (written thousands of years after the OLD testament):

Matthew 5:29 - plucking out eyes
Matthew 5:30 - cutting off hands
Matthew 10:34 - waging wars by a sword
Corinthians 14:34-35 - women should be quiet and obey
Mark 10:11-12 - only marry once otherwise check Leviticus 20:10 for remedy
Luke 19:26-2 - genocide
Romans 1:20-32 - killing sinners
Revelation 2:5 - more killing
Revelation 2:23 - killing children
Psalm 137:9 - killing babies

You can't just pick and choose bits to justify your bigoted beliefs and then ignore all of the stuff I just mentioned (and so much more). You just can't, and I fail to believe that you're not intelligent enough to know that.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

For this reason God gave them [Gentiles] up to degrading passions. Their women exchanged natural intercourse for unnatural, and in the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.