The Motorsport Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by bonehead »

Coastalraider wrote:
bonehead wrote: January 25, 2021, 6:13 pm enjoyed today's "Race Tasmania" should be some good racing in those ARG classes as they get into their seasons

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
This got me a little excited...

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/01/31/vi ... e-raceway/
definitely, S5000 are looking really cool. I love the Trans Am and TCM and understand the allure of TCR.

Edrick The Entertainer
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

That looks like a cracking track! Love the S5000’s, they will be great then the grid sizes swell a bit.

ARG have put together a bunch of really cool categories. For mine their headliner, TCR is the worst of the lot but still enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Some big news overnight. Roland Danes stepping down as Triple 8 Team Principal end of the year. Whincup will retire end of the year and replace Dane

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/02/03/wh ... ight-boss/
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

completely agree

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Remy Gardner with a career best ride takes a stranglehold on moto2 championship

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Fastest times ever in the Top 10 shootout at Bathurst. 2.03373 is amazing.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:Fastest times ever in the Top 10 shootout at Bathurst. 2.03373 is amazing.
Erebus boys dq'd out of top10 for under weight doors

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Mostert and Holdsworth in a very fast car and both drove well boney. When they lost 48 seconds due to the tyre tread being damaged I thought it might have been over for them. However they still had 50 plus laps to go of the 161 and they just put the rest of the field behind them. Holden wins.

I'm glad the Echidna was not hurt and found a gap in the concrete crash barrier. Not sure which car took evasive action but well done to that driver.
Last edited by RedRaider on December 5, 2021, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

yep bathurst always throws something different.
Mostert and Holdsworth were on the money right out of the truck and deserved that win.
Nice not seeing T8 or djr on the podium, 2 BJR cars in the 10.

Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Gee Skaife is such a punish to listen to as a commentator, he's like the Brandy of supercars but worse

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The last time we will ever see Holden racing at Bathurst and they finish 1 and 2. Van Gisbergen and Tander drove exceptionally well to win in those conditions. Mostert and Coulthard also very good to finish 2nd.

Zane Goddard came up with one of the most reckless acts I've seen in motor sport. Apart from taking out 2 other race cars he is lucky no one was seriously injured. Other drivers were in similar positions during the day but did not shoot across the track as he did. He is only 22 but I reckon we will hear a lot more before the mud dries on this one.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RIP Ken Block, incredible legacy for a guy who went from middling rally driver to international superstar in non competition driving whilst apppearing to stay humble, a tragic loss for his young family

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Daniel Ricciardo returning to F1 at the Hungarian GP in 10 days time. Replacing Nyck De Vries at Alpha Tauri.

Red Bull will be getting a decent look at how both he and Perez perform for the remainder of the year before making any big calls on that seat for next year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I think it’s more so to see where Tsunoda is at. Either the car is a dud and he’s outperforming it and showing Nick up, or Nick was that bad and bringing the team down.

Alpha Tauri is going to go through a restructure next season, basically doing the Haas approach and copying Red Bull as much as they legally can. I can picture Danny will be used as a barometer for Red Bull juniors. I reckon if Yuki proves himself, he’ll replace Checo next year, and Liam Lawson will take the 2nd AT seat.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I would've thought it would make more sense to put Liam Lawson in the seat if he's the heir apparent

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Motorsport Thread

That’s true, but if you wait till next year, you can compare Lawson against Ricciardo, which gives you a good barometer to compare how he’d go against Max.

Chuck Lawson in now against Yuki and your main comparisons are against Yuki, De Vries and Gasly

Nickman's love of NSW
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Kostecki winning the Top 10 shootout by half a second after the error during the first turn was just sensational. Great speed over the top of Mt Panorama.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-07/ ... /102947874
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Kiwi's van Gisbergen and Stanaway win the Bathurst 1000. They did not have the fastest car in the race but they didn't break it like those such as Feeney had the misfortune of doing. Kostecki still leads the Drivers championship but van Gisbergen is now much closer in 2nd spot. The Chev Camaro proving to be superior to the Ford Mustang.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Their race pace was quickest by far. But of a shame the Mustangs were unable to match their pace down the straight.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Was a terrible race to watch

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

boring category dishes up boring race, supercars is dead

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Supercars is dead.

Until they sort out the aerodynamic advantages given to the Camaro, Ford will likely go ahead and withdraw.

Well done to the idiots in control for years of hindering one brand in favour of another
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:Supercars is dead.

Until they sort out the aerodynamic advantages given to the Camaro, Ford will likely go ahead and withdraw.

Well done to the idiots in control for years of hindering one brand in favour of another
Until they add some variety I can't watch it, the best racing we had with supercars was early in its introduction with 3 different tyre suppliers and bugger all aero despite the big wings of 93/94.
These things are just control cars, every nut bolt and washer are control parts so nobody has any advantage in different parts of the track or different tracks suiting different teams it's just the same old same old no passing without hitting and penalty after penalty.

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's the same with F1, cost control has made racing boring

I got into V8s as a kid around the time it moved from Group A to V8SC. The racing was exciting, Bathurst had 50+ car grids, plenty of action and crashes it was great

Now it's just stale, yesterday was one of the most boring races I've seen. 3 safety cars (1 of which could have been retracted after Moffat binned it but got going again), no real battles and SVG winning by 20+ seconds which is the biggest margin in 2 decades

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I literally watched paint dry instead, my driveway was due

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ford will get a parity review after meeting the lap time discrepancy threshold

They honestly should have pushed this back a year, they've royally **** it up

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah Ford looks to be cooling off on their commitment

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/10/09/fo ... ommitment/

Nickman's love of NSW
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thanks for that Fui. The Mustangs will need Ford behind them to catch up to the Chev Camaro. Both sides will need to look at different aspects of their racing. Camaro had gear box issues, steering issues. The frustration with the gear box overcame Feeney when he was forced out.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

ABC Reporting the 2023 crowd was the third largest ever. Interesting to see the crowd numbers next year. Kostecki clear leader in the drivers championship and Mustangs not competitive this year. In the Top 10 shootout Kostecki was 7/10s faster than van gisbergen so had the faster car but the Kiwis protected their car better over 161 laps. Good luck to them. No van Gisbergen racing next year because he will be in the USA. Opens an opportunity for others.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Adelaide 500 SuperCars won by Mustang which picked up the first four places in the race. 21 year old Kiwi Matt Payne behind the wheel and wins the race.

In the drivers Championship Brodie Kostecki takes the title. Van Gisbergen was taken out in the first lap meaning Kostecki only had to finish the race to take the Championship which he did. Congrats to Kostecki and team for a fine year.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Ferrari goes 1 and 2 in the Australian F1 Grand Prix. Aussie Oscar Piastri finishes in 4th after being told to come in behind his fellow McLaren driver team mate Norris. Best for the team but it would have been nice to see Piastri finish on the podium for his home Grand Prix.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Was not a big fan of the strategy given to Piastri. They pitted him way too early to start the race and then on his second set of tyres they pitted him way too late which was a huge factor in his wide run into the penultimate corner costing him 4 seconds.

To make this worse the team also gave away over a second to his teammate in the pits.

It was clear the team were looking at Norris for 3rd and ran an ultra conservative strategy for Piastri to make sure he was the car who finished behind him.

I wonder if it would have been the other way around if he had qualified about Norris.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Agreed Rick, the Constructors Championship is not affected by which McLaren finishes 3rd or 4th

https://blog.purestorage.com/perspectiv ... -champion/

There is so little between Piastri and Nixon in the Drivers Championship I don't know why they manufactured such a finish unless Piastri will not be with McLaren next year. We are only 3 races into this season so I am puzzled by the Nixon favoritism.

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.htm ... ivers.html
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Piastri is always giving that spot up because he's the number 2 driver in the number 2 car. Some teams like Ferrari "let em race" on occasion.
McLaren don't. All their top tier work goes into giving Lando Norris the best chance this season.
One of the most extreme driver 1 vs driver 2 examples happened this weekend when Alex Albon crashed his Williams and they gave him Sergeant's car, meaning Sergeant couldn't even take part in the race.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Zim, I reckon the 'let 'em race' practice is best. No question then of 'rigging' results, simply best driver and car wins.