The GH NFL Championship 2013 Season

Chat about the tipping and other competitions

Moderator: GH Moderators

Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

The GH NFL Championship 2013 Season

Post by Nick »

Welcome to the season thread gents. This is place for all discussion and banter, we've increased the league to 10 so the comp should be even harder than it was last year!

Ill kick things off with my thoughts on each side.

Seattle Lynch Mob:
Positives: Balanced side here, it's relatively strong across the board, they have one of the top TE's in a shallow pool and look very reliable at WR thanks to Marshall and Cruz. I like Bradshaw and Bell to be decent spot starters at RB and Michael Floyd could be a real late round steal for the Mob.
Negatives:A bit thin at RB for me. The lack of a sure fire 2nd QB will put him at a disadvantage to those who nabbed two elite QBs. Not a lot to dislike about the team, they should be pretty consistent but the lack of a genuine X-Factor could cost them. Rodgers will need a big year to get to the big show
Predictions:I think they'll run middle of the table, but you'll have to put up a decent score to beat them. They'll be consistent scorers every week. They will end the year with a solid 8-6 but im not seeing a play off run for them

The Easybeats:
Positives: Another really solid team. At QB he's particularly good, Manning and Luck will be a very good duo for Worm. I love the Doug Martin pick too, that guy is a real star but he's a 2nd year guy so it's a risk. Danny Woodhead is an interesting pick and could be a big time mover in PPR. Solid across the park.
Negatives:Chris Johnson is really close to being a bust already, it's a make or break year for him and im picking break! I also question their depth at WR, not sold on their back ups there, though they do have big time potential
Predictions:I like this squad a lot, it's pretty solid and i expect the Easybeats to have a pretty solid year. They could go as high as 10-4 but i think 8-6 is more likely

Team Delaney:
Positives: Adrian Peterson fell to #3 and thats a huge result for GD. Brady is a fantasy star and whilst there are concerns about him, he's had stellar years with less than he's got this year. I like the depth picks here. Hopkins, Mendenhall, Bryce Brown and Kenny Britt are all capable of putting up very good numbers for their draft positions. Gronkowski is risky but good value
Negatives:WR is a big concern. Percy Harvin could be a MASSIVE star but he's also hit and miss. Dont like the Steven Jackson pick, i think Atlanta are a pass first offense and S-Jax is aging. I think the Law Firm loses his spot to Bernard before training camp ends too.
Predictions:Peterson and Brady can carry this team to a good year but GD has taken some chances here and will need two or three of them to pay off to make a mark. I think a 6-8 year coming up for him, but has potential to be a 10 win team

Cairns Colts:
Positives: Arian Foster is hard not to like. I really dig (and i hate to say it) teaming Bryant with Romo. Both good value players who might not show up when Dallas need them in real life but they are Fantasy stars. Mike Wallace, Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates are nice value picks who will be contributors
Negatives:Forte is risky and Fitzgerald has still got trash throwing to him. Lamar Miller could go either way in the back field. Big Ben as a #2 QB is a concern, he's not going to have many weapons this year, so expecting him to contribute in the Offensive Utility position will be a a stretch
Predictions:I think Sublime has assembled a team that will need some luck. Forte staying healthy, Miller being a stud and David Wilson hitting it big in year 2. For me, not enough quality depth at WR and QB to be there at the business end. Predicting a 6-8 year

Ron Mexicos:
Positives: Best name in the league. Calvin Johnson is a stud and will win games on his own and Rusty Wilson could be the next Drew Brees. Given the problems with New Englands receiving options, Steven Ridley is an inspired pick and will produce like a RB1 for the drafting cost of a #3 RB
Negatives:Amendola, MJD and Garcon are all injury concerns, and big ones at that. TE Vernon Davis is as good a TE as there is, but he is asked to do a lot of blocking and Kaepernick struggled to find a way to get him in the game.
Predictions:Could be a horrible 4-9 season or a 9-4, so much rides on the health of some mid round stars. If he stays healthy, and Rusty Wilson avoids the sophomore slump, they could be contenders. I think they'll go middle of the road, predicting a 7-6

Big Doggs:
Positives: Really strong team, hate to say it, but they are one of the favourites early on i think. Very good draft. Strong starting line up. Good RB's, quality QB's and the WRs are big time potential. Randolph, Matthews and Jones could be late round gems. Alfred Morris is a really good value pick
Negatives:A few risks here. Welker is in a crowded WR corp and could see a drop in production. Darren McFadden is almost a write off and DeSean Jackson is a boom or bust candidate in Philly. There is potential for some of those guys i really like to not produce.
Predictions:A really strong year ahead for the Doggs i think. If McFadden stays healthy and Jackson turns into the beast he could be in Chip Kelly's system they could be very hard to beat. Predicting a 11-3 season.

Belgrade Green Flares:
Positives: Jimmy Graham is so much better than the other TEs, he is a huge weekly advantage. Thomas and Ryan are locks to be top 5 at their position and CJ Spiller is a very safe weekly scorer. He's got the base of a very strong team
Negatives:Iffy at QB, i like Culter this year but he's disappointed before and could do so again. The depth is concerning, there is plenty of upside in it but it maybe a year early for this roster. Stacy, Sanu and Ball could be big time players but maybe not this year
Predictions:A slightly disappointing year, i think. The Flares will have some really good weeks but i think they might suffer from a bit of inconsistent scoring, they can beat anyone on their day though, a good week and this team can light it up. Overall record will be around 5-9

Wagamamas Brahs:
Positives: Julio Jones is a beast, and he's paired with Jackson and Nicks. But the real strength in this side lies at RB. This is a PPR master class of RBs. McCoy, Sproles and Bush are top 10 PPR options. They waited on TE and i think they got some really reliable options in a poor class. The team is incredible good everywhere but one spot...
Negatives:QB is the problem, Eli and Freeman present great upside but they've been disappointing for fantasy owners for years. Could they finally get it together? Sure. Are they likely too? not so sure. It's such a big area of this fantasy comp that his failure to address QB early could cost him in the play offs
Predictions:Really strong team in most places but there is no escaping the failures at QB. If the Eli can put in a great year, and Freeman does OK, this is one of the teams to beat. If not, they will be cannon fodder for the top sides. But 14-0 is how they'll end up... ok maybe 8-6

Team Luff:
Positives: Brees and AJ Green are really great picks. They can be top players at their position. Myers is an inspired pick in a weak TE field. Loved that bold move. DeMarco Murray is top 10 potential for the cost of a 6th round pick. I think Andy Dalton is a nice pick too. Pretty neat looking WR crew.
Negatives:I cained Luffto last year and he won the league. Ill be more reserved in my critics this time. The RBs are a potential problem. Murray is injury prone. Gore is on his way out and im not a big Vereen fan
Predictions:I cant really do much but say this team will somehow find a way to compete with the big boys, Luffto's work is dubious but it gets results. He'll sneak into the play offs with this side and from there, who knows. 7-7

Logan Chargers:
Positives: Really strong RB crew. And i love the Stafford, Kaepernick pairing at QB. Tavon Austin is a weapon and if he gets chances could be a rookie star. Franklin is a really fantastic last round pick. As for WR, it wont come more solid than White and Cobb this year. Very well rounded team.
Negatives:Not a lot to dislike about this side, i think they are probably one of the top 3 teams in the league. Hillman and Smith arent really contributors for me and unless Bennett's career changes he's in big trouble at TE. Lacy does nothing for me either but he soften the blow with the Franklin pick
Predictions:Really good team with few faults. Just a really good, safe FF side and the results should come. Will be there at the fighting end of the year and every chance at the title. Predicting a 9-5 season.

Top 4:
Bigg Doggs (Posos)
Wagamama Brahs (Posos)
Logan Chargers (Negos)
The Easybeats (Negos)
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Re: The GH NFL Championship 2013 Season

Post by LP Raider »

Nice write up Nick, I agree with my team I'm a little thin on RB's and Rivers being my 2nd QB is of concern.
WorkChoice
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Very harsh assessment of the Mexico's there Nick.
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Please »

Good read, but I don't get upset at your assessment of my team.
Well, at least Jack got paid.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

I'm fairly confident of a 12-2 season tbh.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Thanks for the effort in writing that up Nicko... good read.

You didn't hate to say that either.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Shezza wrote:Thanks for the effort in writing that up Nicko... good read.

You didn't hate to say that either.
You'll probably win comfortably in week one, red rocket like nobody's business, and finish the season 1-13.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

That's certainly my M.O.!
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

**** me!

Colston out for atleast a couple - starting on the PUP and Pitta gone for the whole season..

Owen Daniels gets a call up already.. Now to recruit a new WR..
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Jeremy Maclin owners need to find a new Wide out too.

This is money now lads, most sides going into camp, already a couple of season enders, no doubt others will follow
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

Percy Harvin is out now for most of season. Hip surgery.

Whoever owns him, needs to find a replacement..
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Worm wrote:Percy Harvin is out now for most of season. Hip surgery.

Whoever owns him, needs to find a replacement..
:cry:
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

:lol:
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

I've lost two already, and as Nick mentioned; the Maclin owner needs a replacement also..
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Bad luck GD, I read he'll be back November.
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Nick wrote:Jeremy Maclin owners need to find a new Wide out too.

This is money now lads, most sides going into camp, already a couple of season enders, no doubt others will follow
I think you picked him up Nick, Rnd 13.
WorkChoice
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Haha yea i did, just a general warning in case people are in other leagues. Ive got him in about 3 leagues and am reeling to find a replacement so early

Harvin has to have hip surgury. Gone for 3-4 months
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Players dropping like flies.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Yeah its been a pretty horrid pre season, and we havent even started real games yet!

Keep an eye out for your rosters guys
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

Brady down with knee "tweak".. MRI comes back negative to serious damage but the Clayborn/Solder hit has left NE playing with QB options from day to day apparently..

Not good.. Not the start I wanted from a fan point of view..
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

The Ron Mexico's holding firm so far.

Made of stern stuff, we are.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

the mighty Brahs have made some astute WW pick ups

Taking Daryl Richardson RB STL, who is emerging as the starter in St Louis and Jordan Cameron TE who is going to have a monster break out year in 2013.
Brahs continue to move onwards and up. Only position of need is #2 QB... and Nicko is ready to pounce once some situations clear themselves up further

Get around me boys, its going to be a good year
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Nick wrote:the mighty Brahs have made some astute WW pick ups

Taking Daryl Richardson RB STL, who is emerging as the starter in St Louis and Jordan Cameron TE who is going to have a monster break out year in 2013.
Brahs continue to move onwards and up. Only position of need is #2 QB... and Nicko is ready to pounce once some situations clear themselves up further

Get around me boys, its going to be a good year
Battler. Munching on the waiver wire fodder. If you didn't completely frig up your draft you wouldn't have to.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

We're not even past the pre-season and already Nicko's getting desperate. What a minnow.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Jared Cook was a bum who has never produced and Joquie Bell is nothing but a Reggie Bush handcuff... i've replaced them with 2 starters... that's how championships are won boys. (FYI Dadi, for next friday, do not sleep on Jordan Cameron at TE, if your without a tight end in the 8-9th round, take him, he's going to be huge this year)
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

I'll probably be so drunk by the 8th round of our draft I'll be taking Blaine Gabbert as my 5th QB or something.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

How are you guys doing the draft? Online or in person
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

In person - I mean, I think the draft might be entered online obviously, but we're all gathering round with a few cases of beer and doing it together.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Nice, that's the way to do it, ive only ever done one draft like that and it was tops
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

I was gonna draft Jordan Cameron but took another position instead. Then I was gonna pick him up at like 11 today but couldnt be bothered logging in :)
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

ive drafted him in a few leagues

In one league which is a 2x TE league ive got Jimmy Graham and him, i genuinely think i could be looking at two top 3 TE's
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Ive got another offline draft starting when the last 2 people sign up. Its with random Americans I met while I did e-wrestling like 10 years ago :lol:

I love how Yahoo has a complete history of our teams and the results. Ive been pretty average in it, with a couple of 4ths, then got 1st rank last year without really checking my team except to swap out bye players, then tried to overthink it and promptly lost in the semis and finished 3rd :lol:

I used to do heaps of random public ones, now I just do this one and that one.
SubLime Green
Ruben Wiki

Post by SubLime Green »

Any chance you'd be up for trading for RGIII Shezza?
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Here's how my other draft went..

10 Team, non PPR, 5th pick

C Newton
V Cruz
W Welker
L McCoy
R Bush
J Graham
J Tucker
Bengals

J Cutler
J Nelson
G Jennings
V Brown
A Dobson
A Bradshaw
M Ingram
R Hillman
J Cameron

I picked up Dobson in the last round cause the site we used to draft (Antsports) didn't have K Thompkins, but then someone signed Thompkins before I could log in and sign him :(

My K and DEF have byes in the 2nd half of the season so I'll worry about replacing them when the time comes.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

SubLime Green wrote:Any chance you'd be up for trading for RGIII Shezza?
You have Arian Foster right?

I can't log into the site due to a cookie problem. Let me download the app for my phone and I'll have a look at some options....
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP