The phone thread

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

The phone thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

This is mainly to get advice from you guys.
My contract is expiring and in July I can get a new phone.

I had an Xperia Arc, that was a mistake. It forgot it was a phone and one day decided to become a paperweight. So I sold it and got my gfs iPhone 4 when she upgraded to the iPhone 5.

Now I'm torn between 3 phones that should be released when I can get a new phone. All the online reviews say they're similar, so it's up to you guys.

iPhone 5 upgraded
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nokia Lumia 920

Discuss
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

The phone thread

Post by Please »

iPhone
Well, at least Jack got paid.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Re: The phone thread

Post by Captain Punish »

the 5
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Ive got an Iphone 5

But a few mates have the Samsung , and rave about but I wont change as I have Ipads , Ipods and Iphones with a million dollars worth of apps and music

Not really that much but too much to throw away
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Just got the S4, it was released last week. Extraordinary phone and leaves the iPhone for dead.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I like the android stuff simply because of the usabiliy
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I think it's great that we actually kept this thread on topic for so long.

Hey Fui, have you tried the Nickman Greyhound System yet??
waldo1961
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Fergo, Fenno, Joel Edwards

Post by waldo1961 »

Till it was spoilt! I've got a smartphone, at least it makes and receives calls.
Gold Member 7819
Bay 52
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Depends what you want it for. To be "Just a phone", whichever you can get for less money.
Music, Iphone is good if you get your music prodominantly from iTunes, if you acquire it via other methods, Samsung is better IMO.
To watch video clips, and play games, they're both pretty similar... The thing that seals it for me is that galaxy has a replacable battery, can use a micro sd to expand memory and has great battery life. Takes wicked photo's too.
I found a moon rock in my nose....
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

ive got a HTC something or rather, which was a big upgrade on my HTC something else... Both good phones, i like HTC. I used to use Nokia's exclusively, but when my N95 died i had to venture into the smart phone world, not a huge apple fan so went with the (then) new boys HTC. Will probably stick with them until some other crazy new phone comes out at a time when HTC arent in it.

Had Nokia had a decent touch screen smart phone out at the time i upgraded the N95, i'd probably never moved from them.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The new HTC One is also a very good phone
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

Fui go the 5.

If not for any other reason then I said so.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Worm wrote:Fui go the 5.

If not for any other reason then I said so.
Then it is settled.

Im thinking regardless, I have to buy new gear, since Apple went and changed it's chargers etc. I've heard good things about the 5, and I had a play with the Lumia and liked what I saw, plus the fact the 920 has a wireless charger sounded appealing. Plus I can use all my iPhone apps on my iPod, so winning there.
Then I heard the Galaxy has an awesome battery life, while my iPhone is dying and uses up 70% in a day, so that appeals as well.
The Nickman wrote:I think it's great that we actually kept this thread on topic for so long.

Hey Fui, have you tried the Nickman Greyhound System yet??
Haven't had a chance to mate, don't have the internet at home, and I keep forgetting to download the Bet365 and Sportsbet apps on my phone
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Galaxy (S4) has wireless charging as well, but you have to buy it separately.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

The phone thread

Post by The Nickman »

FYI you can't do the Nickman System on an app. Needs to be a computer
tragic
Brett Mullins

The phone thread

Post by tragic »

Why is that nickman? PM me if you don't wanna keep dragging this off topic.

An I vote iPhone. Expensive but easy to use and integrates well
Raiders member no# 2278.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

iPhone 5.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

The phone thread

Post by The Nickman »

tragic wrote:Why is that nickman? PM me if you don't wanna keep dragging this off topic.

An I vote iPhone. Expensive but easy to use and integrates well
you can't determine which two totes are paying best as the race jumps on the app. Vitally important
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The S4 also has facial recognition unlock, and magic where you can use the force to turn pages, scroll up and down, flick through photos all without touching the screen. When you wave your hand over it (without touching it), it flashes your notifications. If your phone rings and you wave your hand over it, you accept the call on speaker phone. It follows your eyes when you are reading a webpage and scrolls up/down accordingly. If you are watching a video and look away it pauses. It also has a quad core processor and is lightening quick. The screen is the largest on the market, yet the phone itself is smaller than the S3. The resolution is higher than the iPhone 5 and the screen is just magic. But hey, its not Apple, so you know, be an iSheep.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Greenbits wrote:The new HTC One is also a very good phone
If you get one that's build quality isn't ****. Hardware and software wise its brilliant though, going to be hard to split the galaxy s4 and htc one in a few weeks when I'm up for a new phone
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

My last two phones have been HTCs and they've been great. But the S4 is ridiculous.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

The phone thread

Post by Captain Punish »

Greenbits wrote:The S4 also has facial recognition unlock, and magic where you can use the force to turn pages, scroll up and down, flick through photos all without touching the screen. When you wave your hand over it (without touching it), it flashes your notifications. If your phone rings and you wave your hand over it, you accept the call on speaker phone. It follows your eyes when you are reading a webpage and scrolls up/down accordingly. If you are watching a video and look away it pauses. It also has a quad core processor and is lightening quick. The screen is the largest on the market, yet the phone itself is smaller than the S3. The resolution is higher than the iPhone 5 and the screen is just magic. But hey, its not Apple, so you know, be an iSheep.
That would be all **** up if you had a wandering eye..
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Worm wrote:
Greenbits wrote:The S4 also has facial recognition unlock, and magic where you can use the force to turn pages, scroll up and down, flick through photos all without touching the screen. When you wave your hand over it (without touching it), it flashes your notifications. If your phone rings and you wave your hand over it, you accept the call on speaker phone. It follows your eyes when you are reading a webpage and scrolls up/down accordingly. If you are watching a video and look away it pauses. It also has a quad core processor and is lightening quick. The screen is the largest on the market, yet the phone itself is smaller than the S3. The resolution is higher than the iPhone 5 and the screen is just magic. But hey, its not Apple, so you know, be an iSheep.
That would be all **** up if you had a wandering eye..
It can perform laser surgery to correct the refraction error.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

iPhone 5 is the best phone ive owned
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Oh and I forgot, the S4 has a Near Field Chip which allows you to transfer data between devices, but will no doubt allow you to use it to pay for things 9like the touch credit cards). I'm pretty sure that feature is already in use in Europe.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The S2 4G had that.. its nothing special
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

that sounds pretty familiar, i think ive got that one
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Nick wrote:
that sounds pretty familiar, i think ive got that one
They've been a few HTC Ones xxx. Its a bit confusing. The new one has been out about a month
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Ive got the One XL according to the box... it's a pretty good phone i have to say.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

The phone thread

Post by Shezza »

Tim W wrote:iPhone 5 is the best phone ive owned
I'm pretty happy with it. No complaints so far.

I've fixed the battery issue.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

The phone thread

Post by The Nickman »

iSheep?? Ohhh, you're one of THOSE guys...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Shezza wrote:
Tim W wrote:iPhone 5 is the best phone ive owned
I'm pretty happy with it. No complaints so far.

I've fixed the battery issue.
How?

Some days it will last 8 hours some a day and a half, depends how much I use it really

I've had an Galaxy S, Iphone 4, S2 4g, Iphone 5

Both the galaxys had issues.. the s2 4g died completely just after the warranty lapsed, The S lagged and lagged

I fought Optus about it where I sent it away 3 times and they said nothing was wrong so I was able to get out of that contract for that reason plus it was never mentioned where I am is an Optus blackspot

I was lucky that if I upgraded from the $59 plan to $60 plan with Telstra i just had to pay the phone repayments which was $210
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
You mean someone who thinks people should buy something because it is a good product rather than because it is a brand despite obviously better other products. I guess I am.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

The phone thread

Post by The Nickman »

Jerk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Greenbits wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
You mean someone who thinks people should buy something because it is a good product rather than because it is a brand despite obviously better other products. I guess I am.
i don't buy that..

I worked in retail for 2 years and Samsung's were the second most faulty phone behind Huawei

Hand on heart i've never had a fault with either iPhone, not just saying that for the debate