Lance Armstrong admits to using performance-enhancing drugs

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Lance Armstrong admits to using performance-enhancing dr

Post by -PJ- »

you're right SB he confessed because he got caught, JUST LIKE ANDREW JOHNS.....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'd say that there is a difference between performance enhancing drugs, that is intentionally cheating, and party drugs. Its naive to think that Johns is the only high profile footballer in the past decade to be engaging in such activities.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Fair call GBits, was thinking the same.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Greenbits wrote:I'd say that there is a difference between performance enhancing drugs, that is intentionally cheating, and party drugs. Its naive to think that Johns is the only high profile footballer in the past decade to be engaging in such activities.
and yet he still only confessed when he got caught...
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Big difference from intentional systematic doping to throwing down a pill for fun on the weekend though. Big difference.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

green94 wrote:
Greenbits wrote:I'd say that there is a difference between performance enhancing drugs, that is intentionally cheating, and party drugs. Its naive to think that Johns is the only high profile footballer in the past decade to be engaging in such activities.
What is there to confess to? Forgive me sporting public, for I have sinned, I love getting on the dingers after a big win? Please...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Begbie wrote:Big difference from intentional systematic doping to throwing down a pill for fun on the weekend though. Big difference.
I'm not disagreeing with that mate, not at all.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

green94 wrote:
Begbie wrote:Big difference from intentional systematic doping to throwing down a pill for fun on the weekend though. Big difference.
I'm not disagreeing with that mate, not at all.
sorry mate, didn't read your post properly.
Stuat
Gary Belcher

Post by Stuat »

The confession is BS. It's his best option financially. Play the repentant sinner- beg for forgiveness etc. Just PR crap straight from the text book IMO
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Exactly - it's hard to buy contrition from someone who's been spending years perjuring himself and basically told everyone to go and suck a fat one e.g. the infamous 'just chilling at home in Austin' twitter pic.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

green94 wrote:
I'm sure you've **** up in your lifetime for which you've shown no regret until being caught? Surely?

Anyway, the only high profile sportsman in can think of who has confessed without being caught is Agassi.

Seems you're taking this somewhat to heart, g94, when it actually happens all the time and doesn't really affect you in anyway shape or form.

?
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Armstrong is only a side show to this affair.

The sport as a whole should be made accountable for allowing this to go on.

Heads must roll at the UCI.

The sport and world sport and in fact domestic sport, including the NRL AFL need to take note of organisations willing to take a win at all cost attitude.
WorkChoice
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Michael wrote:Exactly - it's hard to buy contrition from someone who's been spending years perjuring himself and basically told everyone to go and suck a fat one e.g. the infamous 'just chilling at home in Austin' twitter pic.
agreed'
i dont buy it for a second and the mug shouldnt be selling it
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

A fact is lost in all of this that he is not bigger than the sport, the sport in its own greed allowed this happen.

The guy admitted to taking drugs and had he not, we wouldn't be talking about cycling.

Cycling will move on from this and the publicity it has gained from the scandal will ensure its future success.

Reality of sport.
WorkChoice
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Begbie wrote:
Gerg wrote:
Begbie wrote:
Gerg wrote: Totally agreed LP - the worst one I think is Carl Lewis. He has the nerve to accuse Usain Bolt of being a drug cheat (which I actually believe) when he got busted himself, yet his offence was virtually swept under the carpet.
Interesting, why do you believe?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/08/12/ ... u-know-it/
Yes mate, this article has been doing the rounds and copped a ribbing from 99% of society.

Dan Berstein is a bitter and twisted American with absolutley no idea.You are accusing Usain Bolt as being a drug cheat without any evidence or proof. Why are you so sure?

It's a typical response to the the yanks being beat. Did we get another another similar article for Micahel Phelps phenominal effort it the pool and questioning his performance in the pool. .
I have no proof, but putting two and two together you have to be a bit sceptical when the scientist who was involved in systematic cheating in American sport and is now linked with the Jamaican track team is involved. It has taken 10 years to prove that Armstrong was cheating despite all his denials so its not too far fetched for me to believe that Bolt is also a drug cheat.

Just saw a bit of Armstrong's interview. Should be on his way to jail soon IMO. I don't understand how somebodies moral compass can be so broken and delusional.

As for recreational drugs - I don't see the separation like some others do. Ravers dance all night on pingers and then people say they are not performance enhancing. Generally people that do no other exercise except dancing. I am speaking from experience BTW, many years ago.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Never heard of him.
This place is woke.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Going to try watch this now.

Should be interesting.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Gerg wrote:
Begbie wrote:
Gerg wrote:
Begbie wrote:
Gerg wrote: Totally agreed LP - the worst one I think is Carl Lewis. He has the nerve to accuse Usain Bolt of being a drug cheat (which I actually believe) when he got busted himself, yet his offence was virtually swept under the carpet.
Interesting, why do you believe?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/08/12/ ... u-know-it/
Yes mate, this article has been doing the rounds and copped a ribbing from 99% of society.

Dan Berstein is a bitter and twisted American with absolutley no idea.You are accusing Usain Bolt as being a drug cheat without any evidence or proof. Why are you so sure?

It's a typical response to the the yanks being beat. Did we get another another similar article for Micahel Phelps phenominal effort it the pool and questioning his performance in the pool. .
I have no proof, but putting two and two together you have to be a bit sceptical when the scientist who was involved in systematic cheating in American sport and is now linked with the Jamaican track team is involved. It has taken 10 years to prove that Armstrong was cheating despite all his denials so its not too far fetched for me to believe that Bolt is also a drug cheat.
Bolt did a sub 20 time in the 200m as a 17 year old boy, he is a freak of nature. The Jamaican team train in a tin shed with 30 year old weights and share their training facility with a university pe class. Do you really think they have the funding to be implicated with the worlds most formost sporting drug lab in the world?

Who is this evil scientist implicated with the Jamaican Track team?
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

if lance armstrong was from mainland europe, the europeans wouldn't have hounded him anywhere near as much... they just hated the fact that an american had one the most titles...

it's great that people can be caught after all this time because that was definitely a bad era of drug taking in sport... but i can't help but feel disappointed that half of these people who supposedly feel so strongly about drug taking won't be using the same amount energy into targetting armstrong's rivals and competitors... just because the other guys didn't win, doesn't mean they didn't partake in illegal practices...

it's really just the seoul olympic final all over again... ben johnson is a disgrace to the sport, despite his rivals carl lewis, linford christie and dennis mitchell who all ran in that final all failing drug tests at one time or another...
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Apparently he can't confess to doping in the 09 and 10 tours as they are still inside the statute of limitations.

I think that tells you all you need to know about this carefully stage managed "confession". I feel sorry for the people he sued whos lives were destroyed because of this greedy prick.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

This bloke is a grub and he deserves everything that comes his way
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

^^ agree

Not only for the cheating side of it but also for denying it and taking court action against those who accused him.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

apparently those people can now sue him to get those settlements back as they were paid under false pretenses
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Question wrote:Never heard of him.
I love you
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Tim W wrote:apparently those people can now sue him to get those settlements back as they were paid under false pretenses
there would be something seriously wrong if they couldn't... he'll probably just file for bankruptcy though...
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Apparently he can't confess to doping in the 09 and 10 tours as they are still inside the statute of limitations.

I think that tells you all you need to know about this carefully stage managed "confession". I feel sorry for the people he sued whos lives were destroyed because of this greedy prick.
is from a world cycling standpoint? or from a US congress standpoint?
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I only read it in article but I trhink it relates to criminal prosecution, fraud, racketeering etc.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Pig of a man. Can we throw him in the slammer? Liar! Criminal!
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Shadow Boxer wrote:I only read it in article but I trhink it relates to criminal prosecution, fraud, racketeering etc.
interesting... i figure, they'll find a charge that they can stick him with...
Last edited by 86 invader on January 20, 2013, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Armstrong made a nothing sport in the US into a sport.

Once the dust settles, cycling will struggle to fill any pages in the sports sections.

I must admit I used to watch The Tour De France every year, its glory heights reach in 2005 when Lance last won, ever since my interest has dropped even with Cadel winning.

Cycling needed Armstrong as much as Armstrong needed cycling.
WorkChoice
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

LP Raider wrote:Armstrong made a nothing sport in the US into a sport.

Once the dust settles, cycling will struggle to fill any pages in the sports sections.

I must admit I used to watch The Tour De France every year, its glory heights reach in 2005 when Lance last won, ever since my interest has dropped even with Cadel winning.

cycling's life exists in europe... they see themselves as the purists and everyone else as blow ins...

i think now that he has been officially exposed, they can use it as a sort of re-birth of the sport (assuming they can stop the ongoing use of illegal tactics)... it might give them a couple of years of renewed interest... whether or not they can maintain it is another matter...
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

86 invader wrote:
LP Raider wrote:Armstrong made a nothing sport in the US into a sport.

cycling's life exists in europe... they see themselves as the purists and everyone else as blow ins...

i think now that he has been officially exposed, they can use it as a sort of re-birth of the sport (assuming they can stop the ongoing use of illegal tactics)... it might give them a couple of years of renewed interest... whether or not they can maintain it is another matter...
I'm talking about how the sport is viewed in the US, I doubt any other cyclist will have the same impact on the sport that Lance had...assuming clean.

As Federer said last night, Its a sad time for all sports atm.

Thats because all of them will be questioned whether they are clean, let alone cyclists.

Just because Armstrong has come out, doesn't give the supportive public any faith in this years race.
WorkChoice
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

To be honest I don't really care. Cycling is a minor sport in the scheme of things. I know, what it's like in Europe, I've lived there. But frankly, this whole thing is over the top. I don't really care if they cheat in tiddlywinks.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

what! how dare you GE, Tiddlywinks is a fantastic sport and untainted by drug allegations- I predict tiddlywinks will replace cycling at the Brazil Olympics.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I really feel sorry for the cycling sports supporters like commentator Phil Liggett (spelling) who defended Armstrong for years and believed in him. He often used to say that he had never been proved to be a drug cheat despite being tested many times. Every single organisation and individual involved with all that testing now has a cloud hanging over them and each will need to be investigated if the sport is to have a future. It will be interesting to see how many major sponsors pull away from cycling not just Armstrong. On a side note, what an egomaniac Armstrong is, he called his being banned from riding a push bike in competition a 'death sentence'. You ride a push bike Lance. You have proved only that you could beat the drug testing system that was in place. Now you don't get another opportunity to beat the drug testing system.

As for Americans being the worst performance enhancing drug cheats, well I remember the former East European nations efforts to corrupt many sports. Billy Birmingham summed it up well by parody by calling them 'Anna Bolic'. I remember female chinese swimmers with shoulders broader than an Angus stud bull. I don't remember too many of them fronting the media and owning up. The years that Armstrong stood on the podium as a 'winner' should not be awarded to anyone else imo. Each year should just have an asterix beside it as a reminder that the drug testing system was beaten.