From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

The Boxing Thread

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Lenny's overseas mission to zap Mexican

IT'S a sweaty 35C inside and tattered boxing posters line the walls of the backyard garage that doubles as the training gym for one of Australia's brightest fighting talents.

Lenny Zappavigna is used to modest surroundings but there are signs of a golden future emerging from this makeshift training HQ, with the western Sydney boxer set to fly to the US today for a March 12 IBF lightweight title showdown with Mexico's Miguel Vasquez.

Too many times the "next big thing" tag is tossed around in boxing. But many good judges use the term to describe this 23-year-old slugger of Italian heritage.

Zappavigna has built an imposing 25-0 record and turned heads when he demolished Korean Ji Hoon Kim in the IBF title eliminator at Homebush last October. Somewhat understandably, his stoush was overshadowed by the appearance of glamorous former water ski champ Lauryn Eagle on the undercard.

Zappavigna took the publicity snub on the chin. His trainer Tommy Mercuri believes Zappavigna doesn't need any gimmicks - adamant that the young man's ability will make him a star.

After his last bout, an excited Mercuri said: "A lot of people in the US told us we were silly for taking the last fight, that the Korean was too good - but I'll tell you now, no lightweight in the world will beat Lenny. He will unify every lightweight division there is."

And so the first real big step will be taken by Zappavigna in the coming weeks. He knows only a victory will earn him the proper recognition he deserves."I believe once I win this title and win it well, I think it will open up a lot of doors and people's eyes," Zappavigna said.

"Since I beat the Korean a lot of doors have opened up. For boxers it can be hard. If you're not on TV much it can be really hard. At the end of the day you need world title belts to get recognised."

One of three kids, Zappavigna won bronze at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne before he turned professional.

Now he's ready for his chance at glory. "I will give this my all - he's a real boxer and might be difficult to get to. But I believe if I can catch him early I will hurt him. If I don't, he's in for a brutal 12 rounds."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6006580263

I know we dont have a boxing thread other than Mundine but there is a bit more to boxing than him.

Lenny Z is a talent , this guy can box.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Re: The Boxing Thread

Post by Millsy »

The farce that is Australian boxing

To borrow a line from former Australian Prime Minister, Paul Keating, “It’s the loss Australian Boxing has to have. Garth Wood must defeat Anthony Mundine next Wednesday night, and end the farce, that Australian Boxing has become.”

The circus has gone on too long and it has to stop, with the ringleaders, Mundine and Danny Green.

For so long they have been the bright sparks of the sport in this country, but now simply doing the sport more harm, than good.

For Mundine, it’s been a decade-long charade of “wanting the best”, and yet giving the Australian public nothing but mismatch after mismatch.

Mundine calls himself a “three-time multi-division World Champion”, yet he has never won anything more than an interim title.

When reigning WBA Super Middleweight Champion, he vacated the title rather than take on Mikkel Kessler, a fighter who beat Mundine comfortably in their previous encounter.

After the controversial win for Mundine over Daniel Geale, the IBO demanded a rematch between the two, only for Mundine to again vacate the title than honour their request.

And what is not known to many is that word is Mundine allegedly also pulled out of guaranteed World Title fights against both Hassan N’Dam N’Jikam and Gennady Golovkin in the past twelve months.

So it poses the question, what exactly does he fight for?

The simple answer is money. Team Mundine has done very well for themselves, off the Australian public’s back, offering mismatches and chasing “world titles” that the general public unknowingly swallow up each time.

Whilst he may attack Team Mundine over this approach, Danny Green is no better.

Just this week, he has announced he will be fighting, Antonio Tarver, for the IBO World Title in July, in Sydney.

Tarver is 42 years old and has fought once in the last three years.

It’s a common trend that seems to be emanating out of the Green Camp in recent fights.

His most recent fight was against BJ Flores, a fighter who at the time was undefeated, but also a fighter who had also been inactive for 18 months.

Whilst a big step-up for Green given his previous fights, Green won comfortably and filled many of the boxing public with renewed optimism, only to again this week roll-out Tarver.

Before Flores, it was Manny Siaca.

A man again, who hadn’t fought for a year and who in that last fight, fought as a middleweight. He came up against Green, as a “Cruiserweight”, a four weight division increase.

Before Siaca, it was Paul Briggs. A fighter who had been retired for three years, and who retired for medical reasons.

We all saw how that one turned out.

But the farce doesn’t end there.

Danny Green credits himself as the IBO “Cruiserweight” champion of the world, yet he has never fought at the 200 lbs. Cruiserweight limit.

Each fight Green has had since winning the title has been contracted to be fought at an agreed catch-weight under the cruiserweight limit, and closer to Green’s more comfortable weight near the Light-Heavyweight division.

In fact, in Green’s last fight against Flores, financial incentives were included in the contract for Flores to come in lighter still.

This is something that the “great” Manny Pacquiao does as well.

There is a simple factor that both Mundine and Green have used to make themselves very rich, and that is the naivety of the Australian public.

Boxing is all about, minimal risk for maximum return.

That’s why fights against Roy Jones and Antonio Tarver are more attractive than those against Marco Huck or Steve Cunningham.

Many, like myself, that have a keen interest in the boxing scene, knew Roy Jones was washed up long before he came to these shores to take on Danny Green last year (I even wrote a Roar article about it).

However, Roy Jones offered marketability. He was a name fighter that the common man knew, and with the right sales pitch, it could do big numbers financially. And he did.

The much-trumpeted line given after Green’s demolition of Jones, “If you beat a legend, you become one” is almost as farcical as me challenging Muhammad Ali to a fight today, and when defeating him, calling myself “the greatest fighter of all time”.

Green’s win over Jones gave him recognition on a global scale, but rather than chase big fights and world titles, Green decided to offer us the garbage that he has.

Again, it shows what he is fighting for.

So that is why a Garth Wood victory, next Wednesday night, may see one part of this “circus” come to an end.

It is time to usher in a new era of Australian Boxing, and highlight the next batch of superstars continually overshadowed by Green and Mundine.

What happened to the days of Jeff Fenech and Kosta Tzsyu, fighting anybody and everybody, with a desire to be seen as the best in the world?

It’s time the Australian public, learnt the names of the next generation such as Michael Katsidis, who next week fights for the WBA/WBO interim lightweight world titles against Roberto Guerrero.

Daniel Geale is another. Geale fights for the IBF Middleweight Title against Sebastian Sylvester next month and Vic Darchinyan who also next month fights for the IBO Bantamweight Title against Yonhy Perez.

Other names to include on this list are Lenny Zappavinga, Billy Dib, Will Tomlinson, among others.

The Australian media don’t want to offend their “golden geese” but telling it how it is, and I have had many an article I have written returned to me, for straying from the Green/Mundine narrative.

But as a lover of the sport, I have seen this farce go on for too long.

Garth Wood has his work cut out for him in defeating Anthony Mundine for a second time later this month, but a Wood victory will give the Australian boxing landscape a massive shakeup, something that is long overdue.

http://onehd.com.au/onehd/theroar/Comba ... boxing.htm
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

This article sums up Green and Mundine very well indeed, both are a complete farce, fight blokes at their best or do us all a favor and **** off.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Yeah good article, pretty spot on about why Australian boxing is in the state it is at the moment
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Its a shame about Green , he got dragged into the Mundine circus ( albiet chasing the money ) which has seen his career go down the path it has.

I agree this has dragged down the status of boxing in Australia , but there is talent there. I dont think Geale is that great of a talent though

Lenny Z lost his title shot fight
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8223282
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

how about that Mayweather Ortiz fight?
Crazy knock-out after Ortiz was apologising for a blatant headbutt, Mayweather slammed him with a left hook then a right as Ortiz was still trying to apologise and had his gloves down.
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

the reff stuffed up huge...couldnt control the fight...they touched gloves and the ref didnt call a break...but..

first rule i learnt in boxing is always, always, no matter what, always, defend yourself. mayweather saw a chance and took it.

fair game id say
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Raidersrawesome wrote:Its a shame about Green , he got dragged into the Mundine circus ( albiet chasing the money ) which has seen his career go down the path it has.

I agree this has dragged down the status of boxing in Australia , but there is talent there. I dont think Geale is that great of a talent though

Lenny Z lost his title shot fight
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8223282
If it wasn't for Green spending years calling Mundine out and riding on his coat tails you never would of heard of him.

Hack fighter with zero credibility and the instigator of one of the most disgraceful episodes in Aus sport when his bikie mates pelted Mundine with bottles in Perth.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

i'm with you boppa, I loved the sequence of events.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Boxer's life support expected to be switched off

Australian world middleweight boxing champion Shannon Taylor is on life support after suffering a drug overdose.

Doctors are monitoring Taylor's condition but the Daily Telegraph is reporting the life support machine is expected to be switched off tomorrow.

A spokeswoman for Wollongong Hospital told ninemsn the 39-year-old remained in a critical condition after being admitted this morning — despite premature rumours of Taylor's demise.

Anthony Mundine, who fought and beat Taylor at the Wollongong Entertainment Centre in 2009, at one point paid tribute to his opponent on Twitter: "I just heard about Shannon Taylor!!! DRUGS is killing a lot of people...rest in peace my man! He was a good guy!"

But then he corrected himself: "So Shannon is still kicking! Good news!!!"

Taylor, known as the "Bulli Blaster", became WBF champ just last month after defeating Thailand's Sintung Kietbusaba in Wollongong.

He admitted to having a drug problem early last decade but got his career back on track after three devastating losses in 2001.

But his most famous fight was a loss to "Sugar" Shane Mosely for the WBC welterweight title in 2001 at Caesars Palace, Las Vegas.

He has a 52-10 record, including 37 knockouts

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/838 ... g-overdose

Looks Shannan Taylor time has come to an end, with an alledged Drug overdose.

You have feel for the kids losing there father.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Yeah the kids are the ones that suffer.

He's had his issues in the past with drugs , at one stage he had cleaned up his life.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Vic Darchinyan vs Moreno on 7mate Live tomorrow
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

The Boxing Thread

Post by Postman Pat »

Raidersrawesome wrote:Vic Darchinyan vs Moreno on 7mate Live tomorrow
well isn't that fantastic for the sport and Darchinyan himself. Deserves more recognition.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

3 Rds in and Vic is getting frustrated, he is looking for the KO and throwing bombs, if one connects is will be a different story, but at the moment, not looking good.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

Vic has now lost a point for throwing Moreno to the ground, I think their was some soccer diving involved though.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

Halfway point of the fight, I think Moreno is leading on points, Vic will need to KO him to win.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

Vic is getting scrappy and frustrated.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

Vic just got caught good, he is in trouble.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

Moreno is now landing the big punches, he is fighting smart.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

End of the 11th Rd, Moreno has dominated from the start and is ahead by a country mile, Vic needs a KO in the 12th.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

Score - 116-111, 117-110, 120-107.

Moreno did it easy.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

Moreno called Vic a stupid fighter, well in this fight he was real stupid going after him the whole time looking for a knock out.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Agree it wasnt smart fighting. He didnt change tactics although they werent working.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Former AFL star Barry Hall confirms he will pursue a career in heavyweight boxing

http://www.foxsports.com.au/other-sport ... 6219141129
-GD-
Don Furner

Post by -GD- »

I was watching Boarwalk Empire Season 2, the nation stopped when Jack Dempsey took on Georges Carpentier in the show, i googled Dempsey as i was interested in this match. I found the full fight on You Tube. This is great stuff and im shocked the footage has survived, i also found a lot of other Dempsey fights as well which i am going to try and work through. Link to the Dempsey/Carpentier fight is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4lIclazPYw
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Sonny Bill Williams knocks out Clarence Tillman in first round for New Zealand heavyweight title

http://www.foxsports.com.au/other-sport ... 6266124803
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

-GD- wrote:I was watching Boarwalk Empire Season 2, the nation stopped when Jack Dempsey took on Georges Carpentier in the show, i googled Dempsey as i was interested in this match. I found the full fight on You Tube. This is great stuff and im shocked the footage has survived, i also found a lot of other Dempsey fights as well which i am going to try and work through. Link to the Dempsey/Carpentier fight is below.

Have you seen Cinderella Man GD? Very underrated, however, painted Max Baer into a monster he wasn't
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Mundine stripped of interim WBA title
14:16 AEST Mon May 14 2012

The World Boxing Association has stripped Anthony Mundine of his interim super welterweight title after he failed to obey an order for a mandatory fight against title-holder American Austin Trout.

Mundine became the mandatory challenger with a decision win over Rigoberto Alvarez in October last year but turned down a world title fight against champion Trout. The WBA scheduled a purse bid at its Panama headquarters in early April but no-one from Mundine's camp appeared.

Mundine, who turns 37 next week, said he was seeking a three-fight deal that would lead him to the big names, including Miguel Cotto, Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.He described Trout as a "no-name".
Re the bolded - :roflmao
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

The Boxing Thread

More like he was too scared he'd get beat
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

Mundine is a total fkwit, he is in the U.S to fight a 41 year old Bronco McKart :roll:, the ***** wouldn't fight those three blokes, they would all beat him with both their hands tied behind their backs.

The one man out of the bunch of three who is scared is Manny Pacquiao - scared of Floyd Mayweather, have the drug test ya fairy and fight, Cotto didn't have a problem with it, he had balls to step in the ring with Floyd.

I watched the Mayweather/Cotto fight a few weeks ago, Mayweather toyed with him and won on points easy, his hands are so quick, and he can a few punches, he wouldn't have too much trouble with Pacquiao.
-GD-
Don Furner

The Boxing Thread

Post by -GD- »

Begbie wrote:
-GD- wrote:I was watching Boarwalk Empire Season 2, the nation stopped when Jack Dempsey took on Georges Carpentier in the show, i googled Dempsey as i was interested in this match. I found the full fight on You Tube. This is great stuff and im shocked the footage has survived, i also found a lot of other Dempsey fights as well which i am going to try and work through. Link to the Dempsey/Carpentier fight is below.

Have you seen Cinderella Man GD? Very underrated, however, painted Max Baer into a monster he wasn't
Not sure how i missed your question when you asked Begbie.

I havent seen it, its one ive wanted to see for a while but havent gotten around to it.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

A couple more league players pulling on the gloves tonight . Not sure who the 1st bloke is

Former Cronulla player Matt Ross takes on former Titan Brad Meyers in the Casino xmas boxing bash this Friday 6.30pm!

Jamie Myer Productions FB page
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Interesting exchange between Mundine and Paul Kent during a press conference today. Basically, Kent took him to task over his comments on being discriminated against in Rugby League. Kent spoke of both Daley and Beetson (Beetson being the chairman of selectors) being aboriginal, thus dismissing Mundine's claim as ridiculous.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Hopefully Geale beats the tripe out of him this week
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Schifty wrote:Hopefully Geale beats the tripe out of him this week