The metal thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Re: The metal thread

Post by Rodman »

Exodus are one of the greatest metal bands that ever existed. You should also get Fabulous Disaster before moving on to their other albums.
#BoneMcCrone
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Lui_Bon wrote:Well Rod for the last few weeks I've been listening on and off to Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka - to be honest it's hard going. Kind of funny but I'd really prefer something with a bit of awareness of the existence of melody beyond copying Holst... and yes it is technical, but there's not a lot of purpose to that technicality. It does get more groovy as it goes on, and I realise that as a first album it may not necessarily be at all represntative. I think I've seen Those Whom the Gods Detest though, so maybe a leap of albums is the go. Also there are copies of Icthyphallous or whatever that album is called is... opinion perhaps?

I bought the second Murderdolls album a few days ago... apart from one track it is depressingly ugly and stupid - I don't like paying twenty bucks for a song, but "Nowhere" is refreshlingly punk/silly... goes well in the car.
It can be extremely tough going. They are not usually a band I'd even consider recommending unless it were to a death metal head - in which case they'd already know them anyway.

And the Murderdolls suck dude... If you want awesome horror/schlocky punk get some old Misfits.

And get some Candlemass into ya!!!
#BoneMcCrone
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Rodman wrote: It can be extremely tough going. They are not usually a band I'd even consider recommending unless it were to a death metal head - in which case they'd already know them anyway.
That second part is a non sequiteur... I like to do things chronologically, but I think that maybe there's merit in going for the fully-rounded stuff first (or emblematic stuff? symptomatic perhaps?). If I can find the two albums you recommended I will certainly be giving them another go though, that first album is growing on me. Slowly.
Rodman wrote: And the Murderdolls suck dude... If you want awesome horror/schlocky punk get some old Misfits.
This is not a genre I'm the slightest bit interested in. And as I discovered to my slight cost, you are right, the Murderdolls do suck almost 100%. However, the one song on their album that doesn't is actually pretty cool, and has no horror overtones. I just need to record it onto something else...

And all the Candlemass bins are empty...

Still, according to the terror there's a novelty metal Sinatra covers album. Rather dubious but does include Devin Townsend doing New York New York. I hope he produces it himself... though that might be another twenty bucks for one song effort.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

That's why they invented the internet, dude - so we would no longer feel the pain of throwing money away on an Arch Enemy album just because we saw the singer and thought she was well hot for a metal chick, with a nasty growl to boot.

In regards to your comment regarding which albums to buy when you first getting into a band - I always make an effort to seek out whatever is considered by the majority of the metal/punk/whatever world to be their definitive album. I just think that you can't really judge a band until you've familiarised yourself with whatever album/s define both their sound and their legacy. Often these albums don't come to be what I would consider the band's 'best' album, but they are almost never discarded if I end up liking them.

If you're interested in that type of music I actually like the album 'The Negation' by Decapitated exponentially more than anything by Nile.
#BoneMcCrone
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Rodman wrote:That's why they invented the internet, dude - so we would no longer feel the pain of throwing money away on an Arch Enemy album just because we saw the singer and thought she was well hot for a metal chick, with a nasty growl to boot.
Ah now I get it... I thought the internet was for banking... hang on, did I spell that wrong?

Actually saw some Arch Enemy clip and thought, jeez, that would be mundane without the singer...

You are probably right about picking the so-called definitive album, but after so many years (so many, many years) of hunting for records, I can't help but think that it's cheating to purchase without taking the physical product to the counter, hence buying only what you can find. I think it's cos my wife is the one with the debit card... or it's an artificial way or reducing my spending... Still, I like to know where an artiste came from as well as what they are doing at their peak... part of the nerd collector in me I guess. I wonder how many Hawkwind compilations there are?
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Lui_Bon wrote:Ah now I get it... I thought the internet was for banking... hang on, did I spell that wrong?
Champagne comedy, sir.
Raiders Lime Milk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Malcolm Norman Meninga

Post by Raiders Lime Milk »

Rodman wrote:This thread desperately needs RLM.
:lol: It's good to be required.

Just checking back in after a three-month GH sabbatical.
Raiders Lime Milk
Brett Mullins

Jake wrote:Soundwave was pretty epic. Rob Zombie put on easily the best live show I've ever seen (I only saw his sideshow, didn't watch him at the festival). Played a huge set with a few rarities. John 5 is just incredible. Monster Magnet were cool, Murderdolls I do not care for.

It was pretty cool seeing Slayer again. The pit was insane, I got out of there very quickly, considering I'm not bald and tattooed.

Rod, after seeing Gary Holt playing for Slayer, I've decided to get into Exodus. After getting "Bonded By Blood", I have to say I don't know why it's taken me so long to get into them!
Yeah, Monster Magnet was cool at Soundwave but jeez it's sad to see Dave Wyndorf now the size of a house. I feel kinda sorry for him. For a guy whose whole image was skinny, leather pants, cod piece etc, to see him now wearing denim on stage and huffing and puffing is unfortunate. Sadly, this is what clean living does to some of these guys after years of abuse. Still rocked though and that is most important.

High on Fire were also epic. So heavy.
Raiders Lime Milk
Brett Mullins

Rodman wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote:Well Rod for the last few weeks I've been listening on and off to Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka - to be honest it's hard going. Kind of funny but I'd really prefer something with a bit of awareness of the existence of melody beyond copying Holst... and yes it is technical, but there's not a lot of purpose to that technicality. It does get more groovy as it goes on, and I realise that as a first album it may not necessarily be at all represntative. I think I've seen Those Whom the Gods Detest though, so maybe a leap of albums is the go. Also there are copies of Icthyphallous or whatever that album is called is... opinion perhaps?

I bought the second Murderdolls album a few days ago... apart from one track it is depressingly ugly and stupid - I don't like paying twenty bucks for a song, but "Nowhere" is refreshlingly punk/silly... goes well in the car.
It can be extremely tough going. They are not usually a band I'd even consider recommending unless it were to a death metal head - in which case they'd already know them anyway.

And the Murderdolls suck dude... If you want awesome horror/schlocky punk get some old Misfits.

And get some Candlemass into ya!!!
I have really tried to like Nile, but it was just too much for me as well. I find the really brutal, technical death metal and/or grind too derivative for the most part. I like what Nile is about but I don't really enjoy listening to it too much. I prefer my out-and-out death metal to have some melody and groove (like Bolt thrower and Obituary), and generally prefer Swedish melodic death metal when I want it heavy.
Raiders Lime Milk
Brett Mullins

Rock concert causes mass blackout

Heavy rock band Manowar caused a massive blackout in Cleveland, Ohio on Friday when a pre-gig sound check blew one of the city's power grids.

The band took to the stage at the city's Agora venue on Friday afternoon to rehearse ahead of a planned show that evening, but the instruments caused an overload and left a whole block in darkness.

Workers at the local electricity company took 24 hours to get the grid back online, and the band had to use emergency generators to power the show, according to Blabbermouth.net.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... 1bvhg.html

:lol: Well, they do claim to be the loudest band in the world so it seems fitting. Horrible music, but.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Any Periphery fans out there? Their new cover of Metallica's One is one of the best metal covers I've heard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAWxBo1qfrg
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Raiders Lime Milk wrote:Rock concert causes mass blackout

Heavy rock band Manowar caused a massive blackout in Cleveland, Ohio on Friday when a pre-gig sound check blew one of the city's power grids.

The band took to the stage at the city's Agora venue on Friday afternoon to rehearse ahead of a planned show that evening, but the instruments caused an overload and left a whole block in darkness.

Workers at the local electricity company took 24 hours to get the grid back online, and the band had to use emergency generators to power the show, according to Blabbermouth.net.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... 1bvhg.html

:lol: Well, they do claim to be the loudest band in the world so it seems fitting. Horrible music, but.
Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
#BoneMcCrone
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Anyone here ever listen to the band Massacra? They were a French death-thrash band of the late 80's and early 90's and it's basically essential listening for anyone who likes Arise/Beneath the Remains era Sepultura, early Slayer, Morbid Angel the the like. Do yourself a favour and torrent the album Enjoy the Violence.
#BoneMcCrone
Paul Redeye
Noa Nadruku

Post by Paul Redeye »

Here's a good Metallica cover. Blackened by Between the buried and me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRNVhcQy1aM
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Paul Redeye wrote:Here's a good Metallica cover. Blackened by Between the buried and me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlNHYZo0Bgk
#BoneMcCrone
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

Rodman wrote:
Paul Redeye wrote:Here's a good Metallica cover. Blackened by Between the buried and me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlNHYZo0Bgk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvHKFEFX4Gw
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Wasn't really feeling that one, I guess for the same reasons that I love Destruction's cover of Whiplash.

Motorhead also do a great cover of Whiplash, and on the same tribute album that that song is found there a great version of Creeping Death (Metallica's best song) by the mighty Dark Angel.
#BoneMcCrone
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Get into Sahg, ladies. Thank me later.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Rodman, I stumbled over the 25th anniversary edition of Candlemass' Epicus Doomicus Metalicus. Obviously i bought it. It's not bad, I can see how at the time of release it would have been a breath of fresh (or cryptic) air... very sabbath. I don't reckon, however, tha it really cuts it - the bass isn't prominent enough ( I can't tell if it's a remastered version because my eyesight isn't god enough (or good enough) to read the small print. Accordig to Allmusic they had a new singer on their next two (at least) albums and that second album is the one to try. I'll gve it a go. Messiah Massimomurdocha or something. The drummer is pretty good though.

The two new Devin Townsend albums are awesome. Is there nothing this man can not do? - well, yes, he can't make yet another album as good as Addicted, but in their different ways Deconstruction and Ghost are both pretty impressive. Deconstructed is not perhaps quite as 'heavy" as for example SYL's The New Black (2005, which features my new favourite song, F>>>ers, a funky discofest of language, attitude and sinuous bass), but is kind of weirdly involving, and Ghost is the most interesting ambient noodling I've heard in yonks, it has figures which are so good that their mere repetition builds a sort of epic smoothness. Mellows me out in my car. More than Nevermore, anyway.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Lui_Bon wrote:Rodman, I stumbled over the 25th anniversary edition of Candlemass' Epicus Doomicus Metalicus. Obviously i bought it. It's not bad, I can see how at the time of release it would have been a breath of fresh (or cryptic) air... very sabbath. I don't reckon, however, tha it really cuts it - the bass isn't prominent enough ( I can't tell if it's a remastered version because my eyesight isn't god enough (or good enough) to read the small print. Accordig to Allmusic they had a new singer on their next two (at least) albums and that second album is the one to try. I'll gve it a go. Messiah Massimomurdocha or something. The drummer is pretty good though.
I probably overrate EDM slightly because it's the first doom album I ever got and I freaking love 'Solitude'. The next 3-4 albums are also great and Messiah is certainly amongst the most godly of metal vocalists. You should check out some of the choice cuts from the later albums, according to Allmusic, on youtube. While you are there check out 'Black Dwarf' and 'Born in a Tank' from the self-titled album from when they reformed relatively recently after a long break-up.
#BoneMcCrone
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Rodman wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote:Rodman, I stumbled over the 25th anniversary edition of Candlemass' Epicus Doomicus Metalicus. Obviously i bought it. It's not bad, I can see how at the time of release it would have been a breath of fresh (or cryptic) air... very sabbath. I don't reckon, however, tha it really cuts it - the bass isn't prominent enough ( I can't tell if it's a remastered version because my eyesight isn't god enough (or good enough) to read the small print. Accordig to Allmusic they had a new singer on their next two (at least) albums and that second album is the one to try. I'll gve it a go. Messiah Massimomurdocha or something. The drummer is pretty good though.
I probably overrate EDM slightly because it's the first doom album I ever got and I freaking love 'Solitude'. The next 3-4 albums are also great and Messiah is certainly amongst the most godly of metal vocalists. You should check out some of the choice cuts from the later albums, according to Allmusic, on youtube. While you are there check out 'Black Dwarf' and 'Born in a Tank' from the self-titled album from when they reformed relatively recently after a long break-up.
Yeah on hearing it, I thought you might. Personally I loved Deep Purple in Rock as a primary school kid... as well as the first 5 Sabbath albums. However, I will certainly try the 2nd candlemass album, because the first one is, to my ears, sort of almost there in the fantastic stakes without quite getting its "mix: right (though the production is really good...)

Inside it there was a promo for some other stff - a band called Hell (Human remains) sounds rather interestnig, as does While Heaven Wept. Ar hang on these were on a promo for the new Amorhis album which is alright. Can't help thinking that they are marking time a little bit... no track really stands out.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

'Tales from the Thousand Lakes' by Amorphis is a classic doom/death album, but I can't really vouch for any of their other stuff. They went all rocky rather quickly. Everything else I've heard from them sounds like a completely different band.

Looking at the tracklisting on 'Nightfall' (the 2nd Candlemass album) and that would probably be the one I'd recommend you check out next, though 'Ancient Dreams' is also great. The 4th album, 'Tales of Creation', is also very good but doesn't grab you as immediately as the two predecessors.

Where do you stand on the Dio Sabbath period? As I've gotten into bands like Candlemass I've found myself liking early Sabbath a lot more, but 'Heaven and Hell' was actually the first BS album I really liked.
#BoneMcCrone
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Rodman wrote:'Tales from the Thousand Lakes' by Amorphis is a classic doom/death album, but I can't really vouch for any of their other stuff. They went all rocky rather quickly. Everything else I've heard from them sounds like a completely different band.

Looking at the tracklisting on 'Nightfall' (the 2nd Candlemass album) and that would probably be the one I'd recommend you check out next, though 'Ancient Dreams' is also great. The 4th album, 'Tales of Creation', is also very good but doesn't grab you as immediately as the two predecessors.

Where do you stand on the Dio Sabbath period? As I've gotten into bands like Candlemass I've found myself liking early Sabbath a lot more, but 'Heaven and Hell' was actually the first BS album I really liked.
First, Chika, I say "and so he should..."

Sabbath eh? I fell inlove with that "I AM IRON MAN" voice thing when I was about 9 years old so I'd be a bit biased. I guess you could say that my love for Sabbath came at an early age, my brother was bringing home Sabotage when it was released. Later I had to be ashamed at loving the riff of Never say Die because I was supposed to be a punk. By the way, and I'm quoting now from the 1994 covers compilation Nativity In Black, Rob Zombie said "They wrote every single good riff... ever". I like to quote that. Now clearly it means that Dio era Sabbath didn't write any good riifs... I'm joking, the problem for me was that by the time Ronnie got on board I was a postpunk kind of person and more into your Roxy Music, Ultravox, Joy Division, the Cure type music. It took me many years to rediscover the glory of the riff... or grow up... or dumb down. Mind you, I have always found Black Sabbath with Ozzy to be the greatest aid to concentration/study ever, simply because I don't actually need to hear it, I KNOW it in my head. Though Stiff Little Fingers were a bit the same.

In short I never bought Heaven and Hell, or the later albums. Ian Gillan had a really funny story about a stricken dwarf behind the Stonehenge set (off Rock Family Trees, I'm sure Spinal Tap stole it) but I've really only heard the Dream Theater cover of Ted the mechanic.(?) Gvien time I will no doubt squander my family inheritance on the gaps. Must say though that Rainbow Rising is one of my alltime favourites, since about Year 8...

On other matters, the new Trivium album is alright. Finally also found a copy of Devin Townsend's Terria which is awesome. And on a less metal note the second Bozzio-Levin-Stevens album called Situation Dangerous which is quite nice if you like Spanish guitar - I think maybe I prefer the two DreamTheater spinoff Liquid Tension Experiment albums.

Given time I'm starting to like Nile more too. Probably something about familiarity. And more earlier Anathema.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

The new Dream Theater album has leaked for those who are fans, just on the second track now but sounds really good.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Green_Hammock wrote:The new Dream Theater album has leaked for those who are fans, just on the second track now but sounds really good.

I dont mind there music but have they shortened their songs at all?

I have the greatest hits and the songs average around 8minutes
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Rodman wrote:'Tales from the Thousand Lakes' by Amorphis is a classic doom/death album, but I can't really vouch for any of their other stuff. They went all rocky rather quickly. Everything else I've heard from them sounds like a completely different band.

First, Chika, I say "and so he should..."

Sabbath eh? I fell inlove with that "I AM IRON MAN" voice thing when I was about 9 years old so I'd be a bit biased. I guess you could say that my love for Sabbath came at an early age, my brother was bringing home Sabotage when it was released. Later I had to be ashamed at loving the riff of Never say Die because I was supposed to be a punk. By the way, and I'm quoting now from the 1994 covers compilation Nativity In Black, Rob Zombie said "They wrote every single good riff... ever". I like to quote that. Now clearly it means that Dio era Sabbath didn't write any good riifs... I'm joking, the problem for me was that by the time Ronnie got on board I was a postpunk kind of person and more into your Roxy Music, Ultravox, Joy Division, the Cure type music. It took me many years to rediscover the glory of the riff... or grow up... or dumb down. Mind you, I have always found Black Sabbath with Ozzy to be the greatest aid to concentration/study ever, simply because I don't actually need to hear it, I KNOW it in my head. Though Stiff Little Fingers were a bit the same.
Punk was my first love. My two favourite bands have and always will be Bad Religion and The Misfits. I'm going through a big old school HC phase at the moment - I just got This is Boston, Not L.A. which features some awesome bands like Gang Green, The Freeze, Jerry's Kids...absolutely loving it. Also been listening to a lot of Circle Jerks, early Black Flag, MDC, Discharge of late. Me and my mates just started a band in this vein and we are probably going to be doing our first recording in a few weeks. Super-pumped.
#BoneMcCrone
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

Raidersrawesome wrote:
Green_Hammock wrote:The new Dream Theater album has leaked for those who are fans, just on the second track now but sounds really good.

No, much in the other direction there are 4 songs (out of 9) over 10 minutes on the new album. It is an amazing album though, possibly even my favourite by them but only time will tell, looking forward to seeing them for the 4th time hopefully next year they are the best live band I've ever seen.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Green_Hammock wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:

No, much in the other direction there are 4 songs (out of 9) over 10 minutes on the new album. It is an amazing album though, possibly even my favourite by them but only time will tell, looking forward to seeing them for the 4th time hopefully next year they are the best live band I've ever seen.

They would only fit 3 songs in a 90 minute show :lol:

I do like their music
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

I know you guys will probably piss me straight back out of this place, however, I'm a fan of Thin Lizzy! Any others? Just got a tshirt from their fan site. Well, Metallica did cover Whisky in the Jar...
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

dude, I love Thin Lizzy but wouldn't really call them metal. Have you seen this? a genius bit of mash-up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqOoVetljiw
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Mate- thanks for that- enjoyed it immensely - enough to have bookmarked it. Yeah, I knew it was a long stretch, however, i thought that if there were any Raiders/Thin Lizzy fans they would be in this Metal thread.....
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Chicka's shoe wrote:dude, I love Thin Lizzy but wouldn't really call them metal. Have you seen this? a genius bit of mash-up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqOoVetljiw
I'd say that Thin Lizzy have more respect within the metal world than Metallica.
#BoneMcCrone
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

clever buggers those mash-up types
bringing it back to metal-related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XeI9H2_ ... re=related
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Rodman wrote:
Chicka's shoe wrote:dude, I love Thin Lizzy but wouldn't really call them metal. Have you seen this? a genius bit of mash-up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqOoVetljiw
I'd say that Thin Lizzy have more respect within the metal world than Metallica.
Certainly from me.... when i was a kiddy I loved about a third of the tracks on Jailbreak - hated the rest. But Phil sure summed up metal with that bit from the Cowboy Song - Move my fingers... up and down...

Actually I like the Black Rose song much more. Any time guitars imitate bagpipes it's a winner.

The Dream Theater album isn't in shops today... shouldn't be long though. I'm told Mangini drummed for Steve Vai - I was hoping for Virgil Donati.

Found Ziltoid the Omniscient on the weekend, to go with Terria which I got a week ago. Devin Townsend - even at his silliest he's great. The new Symphony X album is alright too - I've been getting too much to listen to enough!

Nightfall and Ancient dreams (Candlemass) eh? there's a wadge of Candlemass at JBs Belco so I'll check it again.