The metal thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Re: The metal thread

Post by Green_Hammock »

Are any metal fans on this forum going to attend Soundwave this year? They just released the timetable over on their website which got me more pumped, and thank god Avenged Sevenfold, Slash, Sevendust and Coheed don't clash... So many good bands this year.
Raiders Lime Milk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Malcolm Norman Meninga

Post by Raiders Lime Milk »

B_Hammock wrote:Are any metal fans on this forum going to attend Soundwave this year? They just released the timetable over on their website which got me more pumped, and thank god Avenged Sevenfold, Slash, Sevendust and Coheed don't clash... So many good bands this year.
I'll be there, but I'm not quite as chuffed with the line-up this year. I think there are some puzzling choices in the timeslots. Firstly, I can't believe Slayer is not on the main stage, and secondly, Melvins and Saxon are only playing half an hour. Sheesh!

Monster Magnet and the Murderdolls clash as well, which sucks. Especially as there will be periods where I don't want to see any of the bands.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

No Sleep Till Sydney on Saturday.

The red stage has the Gimme Gimmes, Frenzal, Dropkick Murphy's, NOFX and the Descendents back-to-back from 3pm. Absolutely epic.
Raiders Lime Milk
Brett Mullins

Michael wrote:No Sleep Till Sydney on Saturday.

The red stage has the Gimme Gimmes, Frenzal, Dropkick Murphy's, NOFX and the Descendents back-to-back from 3pm. Absolutely epic.
Enjoy, mate. The forecast is looking good, too.
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Replace Frenzal with Katatonia and Descendents with Megadeth playing RUST IN PEACE and you've got even more epic.

As for Soundwave... I'm undecided. The venue is awful and I'm not that pysched about seeing Slayer and Maiden in a festival setting. Truth be told, the bands that I'm most interested in are High on Fire and Pennywise as they are now fronted by the singer of Ignite, who are one of my all-time favourite bands, and Pennywise are playing their own show at the Roundhouse anyway.

The rest of the bands... meh.
#BoneMcCrone
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

I'll be at the Melbourne Soundwave. I'm looking forward to it, mainly Queens Of The Stone Age and Gaslight Anthem. I'm seeing Gaslight at their sideshow w/ Social Distortion (whom I don't care for), and I'm seeing Rob Zombie's sideshow, which should be epic. I love Rob and John 5.

From a Metal point of view, it will be cool to see Maiden despite their setlists being pretty terrible lately. I've seen Slayer, but will probably watch them again. I'm not a fan of "A7X", but I wouldn't mind seeing them just for the Mike Portnoy factor.

I'll have to check out the timetable.

P.S. Monster Magnet will be cool.
DavidBoyle
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by DavidBoyle »

Avenged Sevenfold pulled out of Soundwave. I'm not going to go this year, I've been to 3 I think now, every year it's a million degrees, you have to walk a few km's between the stages, and there's no shade anywhere.

I am going to the Gaslight Anthem/Polar Bear Club show in Sydney though, that will be great.

I went to No Sleep Til In Perth, a pretty good day out. I hadn't heard much Katatonia before, but they were pretty good. And GWAR, haaha, wow, what a show, dinosaurs and everything.

Saw a couple of really good Australian bands on Friday night at The Basement....Elysian from melbourne....these are good mates of mine from primary school, they were really impressive (ffo the "Gothenburg sound") and also Ignite The Ibex from Sydney (ffo Messhugah). It's been a long time since I've gone to a show like that and been so impressed.
Raiders Lime Milk
Brett Mullins

How was No Sleep 'Til on Saturday in Sydney? Rod? Michael? Anyone else?
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Raiders Lime Milk wrote:How was No Sleep 'Til on Saturday in Sydney? Rod? Michael? Anyone else?
It was ok, but like every festival I've ever been to it failed to live up to expectations. I think I've just reached a point in my life where it's impossible for me to have a killer time at a festival.

Katatonia sounded great (despite playing outdoors at 3:00 in the afternoon - the worst possible time-slot for a Swedish gothic/doom band) but I only was able to catch 3 songs to ensure I didn't miss out on the Dropkick Murphys, who were good but played what I consider a disappointing setlist. NOFX were their usual amazing selves, but given that it was the 7th time I've seen them and they barely played for an hour there's no danger of their set being etched in my memory.

Megadeth put on what was probably the best show I've seen them play (it was my 4th) as they opened with Holy Wars and proceeded to play Rust in Peace in its entirety, in addition to classics like Sweating Bullets, Symphony of Destruction and Peace Sells. Unfortunately they also played 3 or 4 brand new songs which I took as a cue to use the facilities. What also stood out is Dave's complete lack of testicles these days. This guy used to be an animal and now he totally lacks charisma and on-stage presence. It's like watching the final season of The Sopranos where the now feeble-minded Uncle Junior is wandering around the streets of Jersey in his pyjamas...
#BoneMcCrone
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Raiders Lime Milk wrote:How was No Sleep 'Til on Saturday in Sydney? Rod? Michael? Anyone else?
I had a blast - it was nice and overcast, and the two main stages were indoors, which was glorious compared to the usual experience of standing outside in baking heat and BDO or Soundwave. Arrived just in the time to watch the Gimme Gimmes play, who were a lot of fun as always, but not really suited to the big venue. I saw them at the Manning Bar a few years back, and that was amazing - the sound quality for their set was pretty awful too.

Frenzal played the best set I've seen them play - the usual fan favourites, a few really old songs and no attempts to play new stuff. They know what the punters want to see.

I managed to get up the front of the pit for the Dropkicks and then NOFX, which was sweet. Dropkicks played the 5-6 songs I really wanted to hear, the rest of it was fine by me. NOFX played a lot of fast, older songs I didn't really expect to hear, which was refreshing. Watched a little bit of the Descendents and then went into the Horden to watch Megadeth, who were pretty sweet considering I couldn't really give a crap about metal most of the time.

Oh, and Suicide Silence are the worst band I've ever had the misfortune of overhearing - even by metalcore/screamo/deathcore standards they were absolutely horrendous. All I could hear was this hoarse screaming a bass reverb, abysmal.
DavidBoyle
Glenn Lazarus

Post by DavidBoyle »

Frenzal played a new song in Perth, it was great actually.

I loved Frenzal's set at Stonefest last year....they kicked things off with a bunch of 10 second b-sides eg I Know Why Dinosaurs Became Extinct all in a row, while all the people hanging out to see the "hits" were like...what.

Completely agree on Suicide Silence, one of the worst bands I've ever seen...and the kids love them.
Gross.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I am curious to know what you guys think of Iron Maiden?

Their longevity, style, and their success.

I have one IM CD at home; Piece of Mind. Listened to it the other day and enjoyed it. Probably one of those albums you are happy to listen to once a year.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
DavidBoyle
Glenn Lazarus

Post by DavidBoyle »

Maiden are a band I just haven't really put the time into. I know plenty of their songs, know they have been around since forever, but not a band that I really listen to. They would be good to see though.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Maiden are one of the greatest bands ever - of any genre.

Killers, Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are all essential.

If you don't like them then I don't wanna know you.
#BoneMcCrone
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

I don't like them.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Michael wrote:I don't like them.
That's because you are still stuck in your "I only listen to one type of music" adolescence.
#BoneMcCrone
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

Rodman wrote:
Michael wrote:I don't like them.
That's because you are still stuck in your "I only listen to one type of music" adolescence.
Not everyone that likes metal has to like Iron Maiden... I'm not a huge fan but I went to see them when I was on holiday in Quebec (amazingly my trip coincided with a Dream Theater/Iron Maiden concert) and they were pretty good. I will be seeing them again at Soundwave, I was originally going to see Avenged Sevenfold and then catch the end of Maiden's set but A7X dropped out.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Michael doesn't like metal.

And with all due respect, Avenged Sevenfold suck (opinion) and aren't metal (fact).
#BoneMcCrone
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Dare I ask what type of music Michael likes?

Is it R&B? :lol:
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

dubby wrote:Dare I ask what type of music Michael likes?

You're an idiot.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Michael wrote:

You're an idiot.
Don't keep an idiot in suspense....what is your preferred music genre? :lol:

Captain and Tenielle?
Snoop Dog?
Will Smith?
Techno?
Ben Lee?

Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

Rodman wrote:Michael doesn't like metal.

And with all due respect, Avenged Sevenfold suck (opinion) and aren't metal (fact).
Their first two albums could be classified as metalcore, their last 3 have been closer to hard rock than metal. They are one of my favourite bands and have been for years, the whole band is talented and they are unique in that they keep evolving and don't fall back on the same style album after album like some bands do. I don't honestly care that much that you don't like A7X but their latest album "Nightmare" has changed the minds of several of my friends and Save Me is possibly my favourite song by them.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

dubby wrote:
Michael wrote:

You're an idiot.

Captain and Tenielle?
Snoop Dog?
Will Smith?
Techno?
Ben Lee?
Punk and hardcore.
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

Not a fan of most Punk. Music to **** by. But each to their own. Hopefully you will grow out of it! :P
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Michael wrote:
dubby wrote:
Michael wrote:

You're an idiot.

Captain and Tenielle?
Snoop Dog?
Will Smith?
Techno?
Ben Lee?
Punk and hardcore.
Fair enough. :)

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

dubby wrote:I am curious to know what you guys think of Iron Maiden?

Their longevity, style, and their success.

I have one IM CD at home; Piece of Mind. Listened to it the other day and enjoyed it. Probably one of those albums you are happy to listen to once a year.

they are a band that have great songs but I struggle to listen to a whole album straight through.

I have Number of the Beast and Live At Donnington , the songs Run To The Hills and Number Of The beast are brilliant and Bruce has a great voice.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

This thread desperately needs RLM.
#BoneMcCrone
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

When did this thread start?

Why wasn't I told?

Now thanks to the wonders of profiling I've discovered that 99% of my posts somehow relate to a football team, I obviously need to diversify. So as soon as I saw a reference to Amorphis I was in. Just got some album of theirs called Elegy or something (I dunno - it's on the car) but I do like Skyforger. My wife thinks it's too celtic - I'm sure she suspects the morris dancing is soon to commence. And the lyrics are silly - so that's what I think of Finnish national mythology eh?

What should I expect from a band called Nile?

ps - or edit - I probably should have read page 4 rather than page 1 - anyway - got the latest Anathema album and I can see why Allmusic says it sounds like Coldplay - though I would add some Sigur Ros in there too. I think with them I'll just work my way backwards. Help me JBs!
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Welcome, Lui_Bon. Any friend of Amorphis is a friend of mine - although we would have gotten off on an even better foot had you name-dropped Tales From the Thousand Lakes rather than Elegy, but respect nonetheless.

Nile - extremely heavy, technical death metal that derives its inspiration from ancient Egyptian mythology. Among the premier DM bands in the world right now, but not something that you find yourself putting in your stereo all that often. I have no problem recommending Annihilation of the Wicked and their latest, Those Whom the Gods Detest.

Are you familiar with Candlemass?
#BoneMcCrone
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Well thanks Rodman you buy what you can find. Or in my case can get away with hiding amongst the budget.

So my young nephew was on the right track with Nile - Allmusic had some good things to say about them too. Unfortunately the stores I checked today have nothing - he recommended Black Seeds of Somthing-or-other. I take it that they resemble Meshuggah a bit? And less the rather silly cod-Egyptian of Iced Earth?

I'll get what I can find now anyway!

Candlemass - no, never heard them. Due to the lack of interest amongst my music loving friends (many of whom are from the 60s...) I'm kind of limited to Andrew Haugh's radio show (which is where I heard bits of Skyforger)(ps did they ever actually release the Contrive album that Devin Townsend was going to produce?) and so I often just have to take a punt. Of course, like science fiction, you can be let down by the cover art... but for some reason I've always had the impression that Candlemass were a more doomy sort of thing. I'm probably hopelessly off beam.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Black Seeds of Vengeance is OK but it's way less accessible than the albums I mentioned, and IMO has too many superfluous instrumental tracks. It is however highly acclaimed amongst metalheads. And no, they don't sound like Meshuggah. Unless you are familiar with bands like Morbid Angel it's going to be near impossible for me to give you an idea what they sound like. I'm willing to bet it will be a contender for the most brutally heavy music you have ever heard.

And you are on the money in terms of Candlemass' sound. They are the best doom metal band I have yet come across. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus changed my life. Try (or get your nephew) to download it.
#BoneMcCrone
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Aha! Yeah I've heard some Morbid Angel and I understand that they are regarded as a highwatermark, but given that my interest in metal has only revived in the last couple of years after waning sometime in the late 70s, I'm not worshipful. I will look for the albums you suggest but I don't much like downloads - mind you, I wouldn't usually dismiss a band on one album, so I guess I'll pick up whatever I can find. The fact that their slots are usually empty is a good sign perhaps!

I'll have a think about Candlemass too.

By the way Anathema do now sound like Snow Patrol. Or rather a band who can do all the things Snow Patrol wish they could. It's acceptable music for company...
DavidBoyle
Glenn Lazarus

Post by DavidBoyle »

Annihilation of the Wicked...I haven't heard that for a long while...a great album. I like you're description, extremely heavy. Apt.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Well Rod for the last few weeks I've been listening on and off to Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka - to be honest it's hard going. Kind of funny but I'd really prefer something with a bit of awareness of the existence of melody beyond copying Holst... and yes it is technical, but there's not a lot of purpose to that technicality. It does get more groovy as it goes on, and I realise that as a first album it may not necessarily be at all represntative. I think I've seen Those Whom the Gods Detest though, so maybe a leap of albums is the go. Also there are copies of Icthyphallous or whatever that album is called is... opinion perhaps?

I bought the second Murderdolls album a few days ago... apart from one track it is depressingly ugly and stupid - I don't like paying twenty bucks for a song, but "Nowhere" is refreshlingly punk/silly... goes well in the car.
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Soundwave was pretty epic. Rob Zombie put on easily the best live show I've ever seen (I only saw his sideshow, didn't watch him at the festival). Played a huge set with a few rarities. John 5 is just incredible. Monster Magnet were cool, Murderdolls I do not care for.

It was pretty cool seeing Slayer again. The pit was insane, I got out of there very quickly, considering I'm not bald and tattooed.

Rod, after seeing Gary Holt playing for Slayer, I've decided to get into Exodus. After getting "Bonded By Blood", I have to say I don't know why it's taken me so long to get into them!