Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Nick »

mick63 wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:The most terrible part of this whole episode is that its diverting discussion away from the real issue i.e. what a terrible piece of legislation this ETS is and how it will have ZERO effect on climate change.
Sadly its another example of an unquestioning media focusing on the headline and not the fine print.
agreed
this ETS is absolutely balls and the fact its not the main headline, is a joke
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

God **** christ, can NSW ALP get any worse?
another leadership challange, another new premier, another tripodi puppet, another debacle

Rees unloaded all kinds of brimestone on them as a parting message, almost enough to make me respect the man. If they win this next election, so help me god, ill track down every one of the ALP voters and chemically castrate them. Not

NSW alp are certainly doing their best to outdo Fed. Libs in their decision making. Kristina Keneally's mother wont even vote for her. Pooley, your thoughts, so help me if you are actually going to vote for this pack of inept pricks. Young ALP or not, they can do the job

Fatty O Farrell might not be better but he cant possibly be worse. And at least he's stable in leadership
beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice »

well nick, i have to say i will be voting for the ALP come the next state election.

One, cause i can be expelled for the ALP if i dont.
two, cause the libs have picked a ex one nation candidate, far right nut job to run in my state seat. And id rather cut off my left testicle then EVER vote for someone associated past or present with one nation. (i dont believe in exhausting my vote......its the same as throwing it away)

I will say this: This government is slowly dying. it will not be revived by march 2011. the government is old and out of ideas. what it needs more then anything is a healthy dose of opposition. we've replaced one mediocre leader with another, then to turn around and replace him 15 months later with another mediocre leader.

for 32 years the nsw ALP had 3 leaders. We've now had 3 in the past 4 years. The likes of Wran and Carr are being replaced with pretenders who have become lackys of unpopular, electorally weak people who seem to only talk about how they won a political battle 14 years ago insted of inspiring the rank and file.

but, when we lose the party will have to re-build. which means ill probably move up a few notches within the party :thumbsup
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

:lol: Thankfully your vote shouldnt count as it should be a landslide result in favour of Fatty O'Farrell

I guess i see where your coming from but good christ, you're actually going to give these pricks a vote... that'll be one more vote than they deserve, ****, i'd be shocked if Keneally even voted for herself. Even the key boys wont vote for themselves with a straight face
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

They can put lipstick and nice clothes on a corpse...its still a corpse.
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Raider_69 wrote::lol: Thankfully your vote shouldnt count as it should be a landslide result in favour of Fatty O'Farrell

I guess i see where your coming from but good christ, you're actually going to give these pricks a vote... that'll be one more vote than they deserve, ****, i'd be shocked if Keneally even voted for herself. Even the key boys wont vote for themselves with a straight face
actually nick, the least important thing for me to (or give them) is my vote. i wont campaign, set up my booth or hand out how-to-votes. it will be the first election since i tunred 18 where i wont do anything but vote. no 5am wake up on a saturday morning to get abused, sunburnt or wet.

worst is, my seats marginal-ish so i really hope the nutter doesnt get up. but yes nick, Barry will win in a landslide. its more then likely the swing will be big enough for mine to not even matter.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

beetlejuice wrote:well nick, i have to say i will be voting for the ALP come the next state election.

Isn't it supposed to be illegal to evict/fire anybody from pretty much anything in this country if said eviction/firing is the result of a vote/political preference?

How would they find out anyway? It's not like voting slips have the voters name on them, it's completely anonymous.
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Sterlk wrote:
beetlejuice wrote:well nick, i have to say i will be voting for the ALP come the next state election.

Isn't it supposed to be illegal to evict/fire anybody from pretty much anything in this country if said eviction/firing is the result of a vote/political preference?

How would they find out anyway? It's not like voting slips have the voters name on them, it's completely anonymous.
its against the rules of the ALP if you vote or show support for any person running against an endorsed Labor canadidate.

they might not find out, but on the other hand they might put two and two together.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

beetlejuice wrote:
Sterlk wrote:

its against the rules of the ALP if you vote or show support for any person running against an endorsed Labor canadidate.

they might not find out, but on the other hand they might put two and two together.

How would they know,do you get loose lips on the pizz?
This place is woke.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

How could they possibly find out? You write on the slip and put it in the box completely anonymously.

True, they might be a little suspicious if you shout your love of the Liberal party from the rooftops... but if you do exactly as you currently plan to and just vote Lib, I'd have to think it would be literally impossible for anybody to connect you with voting for the opposition.

I'll admit I don't know a whole bundle about the voting process, but it's not like all the ALP members have their votes put in a separate box so they can detect if one their own has voted against them, as far as I know your vote'd go with the thousands of others so it would be literally impossible for them to know if any of their own voted Lib, let alone their identities.
glassandahalf
Peter Jackson

Post by glassandahalf »

Wow. Just wow.

So, I was sitting down by the water of Roselle Bay at dusk, lemonade in hand, looking at the beautiful, serene scape. As much as I hate how much the suicidal protagonist of the whitlams fantastic "Sydney 2000 Olympic theme" (a b-side to their single "I make hamburgers")- got it right, right now really rams home just how much you have to love this city for it's body, not it's mind..

Ever since the babe-in-the-woods Nathan Rees was installed as NSW premier, he has copped a world of flack. A million things are wrong with the incompetant and corrupt labour government of the last 12 years. Morris Iemma quit as his time was up, and Rees basically got handed a plate noone wanted.

For the first 6 months he got totally hammered. The terrorgraph just marauded him on every descision he made, diddnt do, should have done, shouldn't have even thought about, and he copped so much flack that actually, 8 months in, the feeling around the place was that he was actually copping all this a little unfairly.
Something changed.
He grew as a leader. And following this or that scandal, he decided if he was going to male a go of things, he took the unprecedented step of kicking out the factional heads and taking the party back.

Even yesterday I would have said the safe money would surprisingly be on labour getting returned at the next election, as the Libs are nowhere to be seen here still, and were'nt going to be.

But the diabolical animals in the Labour Right, especially the ones Rees called out this morning, Joe Trippodi, Eddie Obied and Frank Sartor, made their move, forced their Right faction to follow them today, and Rees has been deposed by a horrid patsy of the corrupt, conservative side of the party.

I garantee you two things. One -- this was a vote for corruption, and that will decimate the nsw alp at the next state election. The only benificieries of this are the greens and the libs, and fir no good reason. But the other thing is that this went in direct contradiction to Kevin rudd, and has taken so much shine off the last week of fedral politics, where they basically got the Libs to rip themselves apart, either wharrgarbling about climate change not existing, or having a pointless whinge that even if it exists, we sure shouldnt do anything about it. Except possibly consider nuclear. Which, until the actions of today, was the clear winner for most stupid political action of the year.

But those bastards acted today. For no good reason, except wanting to slash and burn thier own party.

So amazingly stupid. Vandalism of the highest order.

Lucky the city lights on the water were pretty.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
-- Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Question wrote:
beetlejuice wrote:
Sterlk wrote:

anyone from the newcaslte game knows what im like on the piss.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

beetlejuice wrote:
Question wrote:
beetlejuice wrote:
Sterlk wrote:

anyone from the newcaslte game knows what im like on the piss.
some good gear there champ by the sounds of it...**** you would have my vote.
This place is woke.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I liked Rees first politician who has come across with a mediocrum of honesty in ages.

I suppose NSW labor still think they have got a chance. Which hopefully will fire up barry enough to send them packing.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

i've had a think about it, and im officially quitting my job today and going to join the nsw labor party. By my calculations, if by some miriale they are returned to power for another term, at the current shelf life of their leaders, pooley is due for the top job but mid next term, and if i join today i should just sneak in before we get arsed and take my premiers pension with me. Win!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I heard Kineally describes herself as a staunch feminist and devout catholic. That should be enough to strike fear in the hearts of most voters.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Northern Raider wrote:I heard Kineally describes herself as a staunch feminist and devout catholic. That should be enough to strike fear in the hearts of most voters.
You have got to be kidding me.
This place is woke.
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Post by The Naked Zombie »

I HATE blokes who describe themselves as 'feminists'.
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Raider_69 wrote:i've had a think about it, and im officially quitting my job today and going to join the nsw labor party. By my calculations, if by some miriale they are returned to power for another term, at the current shelf life of their leaders, pooley is due for the top job but mid next term, and if i join today i should just sneak in before we get arsed and take my premiers pension with me. Win!
sadly nick, you have to be preimer for a certin period of time before you get that pension. Rees wotn get it and i think Iemma just made it over the threshold.
Northern Raider wrote:I heard Kineally describes herself as a staunch feminist and devout catholic. That should be enough to strike fear in the hearts of most voters.
the Labor party is full of them but i wouldnt say staunch feminist in the sense of Germaine Greer. more of a 3rd wave feminist
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

beetlejuice wrote:
Raider_69 wrote:i've had a think about it, and im officially quitting my job today and going to join the nsw labor party. By my calculations, if by some miriale they are returned to power for another term, at the current shelf life of their leaders, pooley is due for the top job but mid next term, and if i join today i should just sneak in before we get arsed and take my premiers pension with me. Win!
sadly nick, you have to be preimer for a certin period of time before you get that pension. Rees wotn get it and i think Iemma just made it over the threshold.
the Labor party is full of them but i wouldnt say staunch feminist in the sense of Germaine Greer. more of a 3rd wave feminist
Hey BJ(whoa) whats the pay like for a labor heavy hitter or a standover man..I am genuinely interested.
This place is woke.
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

whatever the pay is for a MP staffer's wage or union organiser is, cause they usually double as both.

Its been a while since i was a staffer so it might have gone up.
Peter Garrett
Simon Woolford

Post by Peter Garrett »

I'll be voting liberal next election on the basis that "surely they can't be any worse"

Plus, as a new resident of the inner-west, I am very much against the planned M4 east development! Spend the money on better public transport you twats!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Peter Garrett wrote:I'll be voting liberal next election on the basis that "surely they can't be any worse"

Plus, as a new resident of the inner-west, I am very much against the planned M4 east development! Spend the money on better public transport you twats!
this decision kind of reminds me of gridlock written by ben elton.

beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Peter Garrett wrote:I'll be voting liberal next election on the basis that "surely they can't be any worse"
under barry, thats actually correct.
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

1) How do they know who you vote for?

2) Are they allowed to expel you because of how you vote? Isn't that completely undemocratic?
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

The Naked Zombie wrote:

2) Are they allowed to expel you because of how you vote? Isn't that completely undemocratic?
NZ, yes they are allowed. its a political party so whom i vote for is VERY important to them.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

beetlejuice wrote:
The Naked Zombie wrote:

NZ, yes they are allowed. its a political party so whom i vote for is VERY important to them.

Except for the fact they could never find out, if you vote labour its purely because you want to, cant use the excuse "i have to", thats a cop out to take away personal responsibility
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

manbush wrote:
beetlejuice wrote:
The Naked Zombie wrote:

Except for the fact they could never find out, if you vote labour its purely because you want to, cant use the excuse "i have to", thats a cop out to take away personal responsibility
im going to take a real strong guess and say you've never been a member of a political party. cause if you have been you would know what you just said was complete BS. somehow people would know. it might just be a rumor someone started, but it would cause grief for me that i dont really want.

and quite frankly, i would know. and i might not like the government, but im still (and will be) a paid up member of the party. it would be like you cheering for another team while they are playing the raiders.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Actually have been a member of a political party a few years back, the HEMP party :lol:

The only way they could know or rumours start is if you said something so it's about your discretion, and comparing voting to cheering for your team, that's laughable, people should vote for who they believe will do the best job, not cheer for a certain team regardless of how **** up they are

If the Raiders losing would make Australia a better country then yes I'd cheer against them, huge difference between footy and politics. 1 is about the heart, the other should be about the head.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Is this Australia or Zimbabwe? Because the fact that the Labor party have ways of finding out who people voted for is, to be honest, absolutely terrifying. But then again it's full of communists so I shouldn't really be surprised. No wonder this country is **** with deranged mongs like Labor running things.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

it is disappointing that so many people in this country have some deluded belief that you have to support and vote for a certain political party comewhat may.

Instead of voting on what they bring to the table. TBH Plato so rings true.
Uncensored
Simon Woolford

Post by Uncensored »

LOVE THE SIG! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ta.

Unfortunately 'the man' didn't take to kindly to having his site banner associated with Hitler, which is fair enough and understandable. It was too right-wing. I didn't think that was possible on this forum, but there you go.

So I had to call up good ol' moderate :lol: Ironbar from the bench.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Ok I'm now a fan of Obama, wants to decriminalize pot, has admitted the war on drugs is a failure
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Obama impresses me every time I see him, obviously what effect he is having on the country he governs I dont know as I dont live there. But each interview I watch him do he comes across as intelligent and gives credible responses to the questions raised to him.

Unlike our current leader who is a mental leper compared to obama always going back to the party/marketing mantra at every chance possible never actually responding to the questions raised to him.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

I never thought I'd see an article on commercial tv putting a positive spin on legalizing marijuana, link below from Monday nights Today Tonight if anyones interested, Obama is keen and if America does it we won't be far behind, since they are the reason it's banned world wide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0BFgkvg ... tube_gdata