The Politics Thread 2009

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by T_R »

manbush wrote:The US ones are interesting, and while not the ones I was refering to, but with the huge cost of illegal immigrants to the USs social securities and benefits, considering our social services are generally a lot higher and of better quality, does make some of the US reports rellevant, unless Australia gets higher class and better educated illegal immigrants
The situations are completely different, for any number of reasons. Again, if there are so many articles out there, and this is such a strong argument you have put together, show me one credible economic piece that supports your case.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Hmmm reading more arguements against, environmental and something that should hit home, affects affordable housing.

Just a bit of a side track, on the housing, wouldve much preffered to see Rudd spend those billions on affordable housing, wouldve been great for the community, only problem though is property investors wouldve whinged
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

There are winners and losers in the affordable housing debate, Manbush. More a social debate than an economic one.

Can I see that article now? You will recall, all you have to do is do a Google serach and take your pick. Shouldn't take more than a second or two.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I guess not then.

Not so easy, is it :lol:

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Lol TR I never saw one on zimbabwe, what kind of idiot would migrate there :shock:

this was one I hadn't read, talks in general though

http://www.pc.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_ ... sub009.pdf

http://www.economics.unimelb.edu.au/dow ... 03/883.pdf

I don't argue immigrants have been great for Australia, and still are, but we're talking illegals who generally as far as I'm aware( open to be proven wrong) tend to be unskilled, and poor, not the type you assume will be a positive to the economy. If all immigrants are good for the economy why not open the door and let em pour in, our economy will definitely need help for many years to come.

It comes down to a healthy balance, I think we would both agree to that, but I'm assuming again from previous posts you're well off, so have a lot less to lose, while I'm middle ground and won't lose my job to one, I guess I'm seeing the side of the local poor a bit more, the ones more at risk of jobs, housing etc.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:I guess not then.

Not so easy, is it :lol:

Lol smart ****, I'm doing a few things here, in the middle of playing ps3 as well, I'm bed ridden so reading boring economic posts isn't making me feel any better :P

Plus the ones I found earlier were when I jumped on pc, iPhone won't open all pages and the ones it will takes longer :(

also take into account I'm high on 3 different pain killers plus an antibiotic so drifting in and out of the waking world
Last edited by Manbush on October 16, 2009, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:There are winners and losers in the affordable housing debate, Manbush. More a social debate than an economic one.
two.
the winners tend to be the wealthy or greedy while the poor suffer
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

manbush wrote:Lol TR I never saw one on zimbabwe, what kind of idiot would migrate there :shock:

I don't argue immigrants have been great for Australia, and still are, but we're talking illegals who generally as far as I'm aware( open to be proven wrong) tend to be unskilled, and poor, not the type you assume will be a positive to the economy. If all immigrants are good for the economy why not open the door and let em pour in, our economy will definitely need help for many years to come.

It comes down to a healthy balance, I think we would both agree to that, but I'm assuming again from previous posts you're well off, so have a lot less to lose, while I'm middle ground and won't lose my job to one, I guess I'm seeing the side of the local poor a bit more, the ones more at risk of jobs, housing etc.
Very true,Just have to look at all the fine foods we have.

And you would be Qless with out them.
This place is woke.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

manbush wrote:Lol TR I never saw one on zimbabwe, what kind of idiot would migrate there :shock:

An treatise by an anti-immigration group and a paper from a honours student that finds that migrants do not, indeed, take jobs from Australians. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A genuinely lame effort. Back to the ol' Playstation for you.

Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

I think you've picked the wrong battle to fight manbush, both ideologically and in your choice of opponent.
#BoneMcCrone
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Lol I think I'll have to agree Buc :opps

Though those 2 links were more than he provided ;) Runs for cover
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

I hate the fact this country has become lax on Que jumpers under Rudd's government.
I appreciate these people are poor and desperate, but so too are a lot of people who do the right thing and go through the correct channels. They should receive preference for migration. Not illegal immigrants.

Its nothing to do with skilled or unskilled etc. It's to do with fairness. Why should one man miss out on the opportunity to better his life in the greatest country on earth, because someone else jumped a leaky bath w/ plug and tried to enter this country illegally?
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Raider_69 wrote:I hate the fact this country has become lax on Que jumpers under Rudd's government.
I appreciate these people are poor and desperate, but so too are a lot of people who do the right thing and go through the correct channels. They should receive preference for migration. Not illegal immigrants.

Its nothing to do with skilled or unskilled etc. It's to do with fairness. Why should one man miss out on the opportunity to better his life in the greatest country on earth, because someone else jumped a leaky bath w/ plug and tried to enter this country illegally?
Because they want it more? Because they are more likely to make a better fist of whatever opportunities they get? Maybe because the whole idea of 'migrating through the correct channels/legally' is an absolute f**king pipe dream for the people who have the most reason to migrate?
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Radio alarm woke me up this morning, from what I could gather at the time Malcolm Turnbull had lost a leadership election to somebody.

I turned out to be wrong, but at the time I thought Joe Hockey had seized control.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Raider_69 wrote:I hate the fact this country has become lax on Que jumpers under Rudd's government.

It's like customer service, the rude ones you're forced to bend over for and break policy, yet the nice ones who accept the rules don't get ****, as with most things, the squeeky wheel gets the grease.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Michael wrote:

Because they want it more? Because they are more likely to make a better fist of whatever opportunities they get? Maybe because the whole idea of 'migrating through the correct channels/legally' is an absolute f**king pipe dream for the people who have the most reason to migrate?
I have reservations about weather they will make a better fist of things. I happen to work in an industry that is choc full of migrants. In fact i'd say at my work place, inside the factor, we have about 50 employees. I'd be shocked if more than 10 of them we're born in this country. I've asked most of them, they all came here via the correct channels and most of them work 2 jobs. I've not met a single immigrant actually that i could describe as not making a good fist of their opportunities... not many people migrate to bludge off the system, be them legal or illegal. As for wanting it more? Again, take the time to speak to the people who have come here legally, and i honestly wonder how many in your life time you've encountered (i based this on your location, and your middle-upper class up bringing and edcuation, cant imagine you've had many chats with real life imagrants, but i could easily be wrong). I doubt you could find more appreciative people about the opportunities they've been given. And take the time to ask them why they wanted to come to this country. Almost all of them were insanely poor and living in abhorrent conditions. 2 of 4 forkies at work were in these positions and had to ride out the storm until they were granted the opportunity. All absolutely tremendous guys, who work their guts out for piss all money and do so with a smile on their face because they truly know they how lucky they are. I'd hate to think these type of people were forced to wait longer than they needed to simply because they abide by the laws of this country, whilst criminals got preference ahead of them.
TBH i dont like them working in my department, they work too hard and make me look bad, they make me work harder than i want to :lol:

Its simple, for each illegal migrant we accept, a legal one has his wait extended, or maybe even cut all together. Thats not fair, on those people. I favour fairness above all else.
TR has made the argument that migrants, be them unskilled or skilled have a positive influence on our economy. If its all the same, i'd rather give the guys who are abiding by our laws the chance before i do the ones who have already committed a crime before setting foot on our land.

They should be subject to the same procedure as those going through the correct channels, by all means, if these boat people are genuine refugee's and need help, fine and dandy, but they can chill out at Christmas island until their number comes up, and they should NOT bypass the people in the que who have been through the correct procedure.

It seems to me that under K.Rudd, we're becoming incredibly lax on boarder security and allowing the boat people to become que jumpers, i classify them are two separate things, and allowing this which will only encourage more of these desperate people to attempt to gain entry into this country illegally.

I know what you are saying about the situation where the correct channels cant be accessed, and their conditions are too bad to wait any longer. What im saying is thats fine, boat people are boat people, they are desperate people needing a helping hand and are willing to contribute immediately doing pretty much any job for any pay without fuss, but people who have the means to apply through the correct process shouldnt be penalised because of that, a lot them are living in equally poor conditions and are equally as desperate and in need of this countries generosity.

They come on a boat, take their details and put them at the back of the que, when their number comes up. Assess them then, dont allow them to become que jumpers. Which is sadly what i see occurring under K.Rudd. Well put by manbush, the squeaky wheel in this case should go to the back of the line like everyone else and wait for it's grease.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 02,00.html

Interesting article and justifys the concerns of people like me
we're seeing an increase in boat people because they know once they are in australian waters, under Rudd's scheme they are 90 days away from a visa, as long as they clear security and health checks

Howard got canned for his policys on boat people, it was too strict... where is the condemnation for Rudd over his equally lax policies? Which have pretty much opened the proverbial flood gates?
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Howard wasn't condemned - he was pretty much re-elected on the back of the Tampa disgrace. Bashing illegal immigrants and boat people is a pretty safe strategy in Australia as far as I can tell.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Raider_69 wrote:
Michael wrote:

I have reservations about weather they will make a better fist of things. I happen to work in an industry that is choc full of migrants. In fact i'd say at my work place, inside the factor, we have about 50 employees. I'd be shocked if more than 10 of them we're born in this country. I've asked most of them, they all came here via the correct channels and most of them work 2 jobs. I've not met a single immigrant actually that i could describe as not making a good fist of their opportunities... not many people migrate to bludge off the system, be them legal or illegal. As for wanting it more? Again, take the time to speak to the people who have come here legally, and i honestly wonder how many in your life time you've encountered (i based this on your location, and your middle-upper class up bringing and edcuation, cant imagine you've had many chats with real life imagrants, but i could easily be wrong). I doubt you could find more appreciative people about the opportunities they've been given. And take the time to ask them why they wanted to come to this country. Almost all of them were insanely poor and living in abhorrent conditions. 2 of 4 forkies at work were in these positions and had to ride out the storm until they were granted the opportunity. All absolutely tremendous guys, who work their guts out for piss all money and do so with a smile on their face because they truly know they how lucky they are. I'd hate to think these type of people were forced to wait longer than they needed to simply because they abide by the laws of this country, whilst criminals got preference ahead of them.
TBH i dont like them working in my department, they work too hard and make me look bad, they make me work harder than i want to :lol:

Its simple, for each illegal migrant we accept, a legal one has his wait extended, or maybe even cut all together. Thats not fair, on those people. I favour fairness above all else.
TR has made the argument that migrants, be them unskilled or skilled have a positive influence on our economy. If its all the same, i'd rather give the guys who are abiding by our laws the chance before i do the ones who have already committed a crime before setting foot on our land.

They should be subject to the same procedure as those going through the correct channels, by all means, if these boat people are genuine refugee's and need help, fine and dandy, but they can chill out at Christmas island until their number comes up, and they should NOT bypass the people in the que who have been through the correct procedure.

It seems to me that under K.Rudd, we're becoming incredibly lax on boarder security and allowing the boat people to become que jumpers, i classify them are two separate things, and allowing this which will only encourage more of these desperate people to attempt to gain entry into this country illegally.

I know what you are saying about the situation where the correct channels cant be accessed, and their conditions are too bad to wait any longer. What im saying is thats fine, boat people are boat people, they are desperate people needing a helping hand and are willing to contribute immediately doing pretty much any job for any pay without fuss, but people who have the means to apply through the correct process shouldnt be penalised because of that, a lot them are living in equally poor conditions and are equally as desperate and in need of this countries generosity.

They come on a boat, take their details and put them at the back of the que, when their number comes up. Assess them then, dont allow them to become que jumpers. Which is sadly what i see occurring under K.Rudd. Well put by manbush, the squeaky wheel in this case should go to the back of the line like everyone else and wait for it's grease.
Could you please keep your posting to a Blog style format.
This place is woke.
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

There are more illegal immigrants who arrived here by plane than boat..

This being people who came for a 'holiday' and then do a runner.. Obviously if they can afford a plane ticket and get a tourist visa to begin with they were originally in a much better situation than people who flea their homeland, and are willing to spend weeks in deplorable conditions to avoid being killed by a bunch of psychopaths..

But "boat people" are much easier targets..

Also "plane people" is much harder to use in headlines and start fear campaigns with..
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Bit over simplified, visa's come with a basic security check, passport etc, people are refused entry if deemed unsuitable, where as by boat normally they have no identification and no back ground checks have been done
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Schifty wrote:There are more illegal immigrants who arrived here by plane than boat..

This being people who came for a 'holiday' and then do a runner.. Obviously if they can afford a plane ticket and get a tourist visa to begin with they were originally in a much better situation than people who flea their homeland, and are willing to spend weeks in deplorable conditions to avoid being killed by a bunch of psychopaths..

Also "plane people" is much harder to use in headlines and start fear campaigns with..
Big difference. Your "plane people" enter the country legally. Once they get here you can't really stop them disappearing. I'm pretty sure they didn't put "doing a runner" under Reason for Visit when filling out the applications.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

tbh its strange that more third world country people dont buy a plane ticket and write "holiday" on there reasons for entering the country and go from there.

I am not privy to this sort of thing but it seems to me that a plane ticket would be at most 2k from SE asia and the boat rides i thought went for a lot more.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

papabear wrote:tbh its strange that more third world country people dont buy a plane ticket and write "holiday" on there reasons for entering the country and go from there.

I am not privy to this sort of thing but it seems to me that a plane ticket would be at most 2k from SE asia and the boat rides i thought went for a lot more.

Cant risk visa checks ;)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

papabear wrote:tbh its strange that more third world country people dont buy a plane ticket and write "holiday" on there reasons for entering the country and go from there.

Australia runs a series of visa category levels. These levels are based upon statistical data drawn regarding overstayers etc.

Applicants from category 4 countries (ie, places like Afghanistan and Sri Lanka) have to go through endless procedures to get a tourist visa - basically, it's just not possible.

So, the only option is a boat.

Interstingly, by the length of the straight the largest group of illegal immigrants in this country are from England, but they arrive on planes and are mostly white, so manbush isn't so worried about them. It's only the browbeaten brown chaps on boats that get him riled up.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:

Australia runs a series of visa category levels. These levels are based upon statistical data drawn regarding overstayers etc.

Applicants from category 4 countries (ie, places like Afghanistan and Sri Lanka) have to go through endless procedures to get a tourist visa - basically, it's just not possible.

So, the only option is a boat.

Interstingly, by the length of the straight the largest group of illegal immigrants in this country are from England, but they arrive on planes and are mostly white, so manbush isn't so worried about them. It's only the browbeaten brown chaps on boats that get him riled up.

Lol mate youre the only one mentioning colour, to me its irrellevant
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

manbush wrote: Lol mate youre the only one mentioning colour, to me its irrellevant
Almost certainly...I was just in the mood to stir up some trouble :lol:

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

But it is interesting to hear how fixated you are on the boat arrivals, when the English are the worst illegal immigrants by a mile.

What difference does it make if they come on a boat from a poor country of England on an Airbus?

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:But it is interesting to hear how fixated you are on the boat arrivals, when the English are the worst illegal immigrants by a mile.

What difference does it make if they come on a boat from a poor country of England on an Airbus?

Background checks help, plus pommie women are still the best ive ever had ;)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

manbush wrote:
T_R wrote:But it is interesting to hear how fixated you are on the boat arrivals, when the English are the worst illegal immigrants by a mile.

Background checks help, plus pommie women are still the best ive ever had ;)
Too blatant falsehoods in a single post :lol:

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The ones ive had went off, even beat the tiny stripper chick i went out with for awhile, and man that one could move :)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote: What difference does it make if they come on a boat from a poor country of England on an Airbus?
I think some poms would be upset at that :lol:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:
T_R wrote: What difference does it make if they come on a boat from a poor country of England on an Airbus?
It's genuinely shocking how many times I do that :lol:

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
It's genuinely shocking how many times I do that :lol:
your racist colours are starting to show TR ;)
beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice »

Schifty wrote:There are more illegal immigrants who arrived here by plane than boat..

also helps that the boat people are from the same ehtnic background as what has become the ethnic target of the decade by australian society.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.