MLB thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

MLB thread

Post by beetlejuice »

The new MLB season is about to start! a plae to chat about teams, players, games and everything else associated with Baseball!
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
Guy Incognito
Jason Croker

Re: MLB thread

Post by Guy Incognito »

I pick Ken Griffey, Jr
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

green_tongue wrote:Image

I pick Ken Griffey, Jr
NA! I'll take wade boggs though!
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Most of the media in Toronto expects the Jays to go ok this year. I thought they were pretty good in the back half of last season. Helps having Roy Halladay on the books.

However, let's go Red Sox!!
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

thickos wrote:However, let's go Red Sox!!
Music to my ears thickos!
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Yankees lost their opening game against baltimore :thumbsup :thumbsup

the ALCS replay with the red sox and the rays was washed out and will be played tomorrow
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Your going to hate me when I tell you I'm a Yankee's fan! And they lost 20 to 3 i think the other week!!! :cry:
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

100%green wrote:Your going to hate me when I tell you I'm a Yankee's fan! And they lost 20 to 3 i think the other week!!! :cry:
:nooo say it aint so! i always considered you a man of good choice 100%!!!

but here is something for you:

Varitek, Lowell help Red Sox stop Yankees 16-11

BOSTON (AP)—It was three hours into the game, and Mike Lowell was 0-for-3 with two strikeouts while stranding five baserunners.

The next two at-bats changed everything.

The former World Series MVP hit a three-run homer in the seventh to give the Red Sox the lead, then added a three-run double in the eighth in *'s 16-11 victory over the New York Yankees. It was *'s ninth straight win, and its biggest comeback victory against the Yankees since 1968.

“It was going back-and-forth; it seemed like whoever was up last was going to win,” Lowell said. “You’ve got to be mentally prepared for every pitch.”

In all, 12 pitchers threw 385 pitches and managed to retire the side in order just twice—once for each team—in a 4 hour, 21 minute game that tied for the sixth-longest nine-inning game in baseball history. The two longest also were between the Yankees and Red Sox.

“Lot of pitching changes. Lot of runs. Lot of commercials,” Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. â€*'s that many pitches thrown, and it seems like every one is of consequence. It can drain you.”

Boston was trailing 6-0 before Jason Bay singled in a run and Jason Varitek hit a grand slam to make it 6-5 in the fourth. The Yankees led 10-9 in the seventh when they intentionally walked Bay—Friday *'s star—to face Lowell, and he homered off Jonathan Albaladejo (1-1) to make it 12-10.

The Yankees again walked Bay to get to Lowell in the eighth, and he drove in another three runs with a double off the Green Monster.

“His RBIs in the last few innings were the difference in the game,” Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. “In the first couple of at-bats, we weren’t able to get Bay out. That combination has really hurt us in this series so far.”

Hideki Okajima (1-0) got two outs for the win, then Ramon Ramirez got out of the eighth after putting runners on second and third with one out. Dustin Pedroia had three hits and Jacoby Ellsbury hit his first homer of the year for Boston.

Robinson Cano homered twice and drove in five for the Yankees.

Yankees star Jorge Posada was called for *'s interference and a passed ball in the same inning; Pedroia—the 2008 AL MVP—had a two-run error and got thrown out on a baserunning bungle. The teams swapped leads four times in fifth, sixth and seventh innings as Johnny Damon tied it with a two-run homer, David Ortiz hit a sacrifice fly put Boston on top and then the Yankees took the lead when Damon hit a hard grounder through *'s legs at second base.

Boston Red Sox third baseman M…

AP - Apr 25, 8:46 pm EDT
The Yankees intentionally walked Bay, whose two-run homer with two out in the ninth helped Boston win the night before. Lowell homered off Albaladejo inside the foul pole to make it 12-10.

The Red Sox last rallied from six runs down to beat the Yankees on May 16, 1968, when they trailed 9-3 after four innings but came back to win 11-10.

“They never quit over there,” Damon said. “Score a run here, score a run there, and then Varitek hits a big grand slam. Then they ended scoring every inning after that.”
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

:cry: :cry:
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Ellsbury steals home, Red Sox sweep Yankees

BOSTON (AP)—Jacoby Ellsbury stole home and the Boston Red Sox ran off with a three-game sweep of the New York Yankees.

*'s speedster surprised left-hander Andy Pettitte with his dash in a three-run fifth inning that gave the Red Sox their 10th straight win, 4-1 Sunday night.

They came from behind in all three games and trailed Sunday on Brett *'s sacrifice fly in the third. But the Red Sox tied it on a sacrifice fly by David Ortiz in the bottom of the inning.

In the fifth, Ortiz doubled in the go-ahead run before Kevin Youkilis was walked intentionally to load the bases. As Pettitte began his windup with J.D. Drew at bat, Ellsbury raced home and slid in headfirst ahead of Jorge *'s tag. Drew then made it 4-1 with a ground-rule double.

Justin Masterson (2-0) pitched 5 1-3 innings in his second start in place of Daisuke Matsuzaka, who is on the disabled list with shoulder problems. Takashi Saito pitched the ninth for his second save.

Pettitte (2-1) dropped to 17-2 in 24 starts when trying to prevent the Yankees from getting swept, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

*'s steal was the latest dramatic play in a series full of them for the Red Sox.

They won 5-4 Friday night when Jason Bay tied the game with a two-run homer off Mariano Rivera in the ninth and won it on Youkilis’ homer in the 11th.

Boston won 16-11 on Saturday, overcoming a 6-0 deficit with a total of six RBIs from Mike Lowell in the seventh and eighth innings.

*'s game was calm by comparison.

Pettitte struck out the side in the fourth before struggling with his control in the fifth. He walked Jason Varitek, struck out Nick Green and walked Ellsbury. The runners stayed put on Dustin *'s fly out to center.

Then Ortiz, who had been struggling, doubled off the left-field wall, scoring Varitek and sending Ellsbury to third. Youkilis, who began the day with a major-league best .444 batting average, then was walked so Pettitte could face Drew, who already had struck out twice.

But Ellsbury, who had stolen second base in the second, spotted third baseman Angel Berroa playing far off the bag and started down the line. Then, when Pettitte started his windup, Ellsbury raced home for his 10th steal of the season.

In the top of the fifth with two outs and Derek Jeter at first, Mark Teixeira hit a deep fly that right fielder Drew caught in front of the Red Sox bullpen. Teixeira, pursued in the offseason by the Red Sox as a free agent, went 0-for-4 Sunday and was 2-for-10 with five walks in the series.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

:clap:

Eat it Yankees :thumbsup
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

thickos wrote::clap:

Eat it Yankees :thumbsup
was a fantastic game to watch! didnt have the power hitting like yesterdays game, but it was jacoby at his best!
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

j raid
Peter Jackson

Post by j raid »

thickos wrote:Most of the media in Toronto expects the Jays to go ok this year. I thought they were pretty good in the back half of last season. Helps having Roy Halladay on the books.

However, let's go Red Sox!!
Hey Thickos, I was up your way last night and almost went to see the Blue Jays v White sox. I ended up getting distracted by some night life though and didn't make it. I went up the CN tower this morning and got a look at rogers stadium! wow! it looks like a great venue. It must look amazing from the CN tower when the roof is open and a game is on. I also checked out the AGO and they had some great work by a canadian artist called David Milne, hopefully it's a sign :lol:
Over all I have to say, Toronto :thumbsup
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

woo! red sox lead the AL east Division!!!!!
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

7 straight wins for the Red Sox over the Yankees!
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

The division series have started!
American League
ImageV'sImage
ImageV'sImage
National League
ImageV'sImage
ImageV'sImage
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Update: Divison series (best of 5)
National League
Phillies 1-1 Rockies
LA Dodgers 2-0 Cardinals

American League
NY Yankees 1-0 Twins
LA Angels 1-0 Boston
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

I can't believe the Red Sox and the Cards have already been swept and eliminated!

I'm on the Angels bandwagon for the rest of the playoffs.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Go Phillys

beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

IBG wrote:I can't believe the Red Sox and the Cards have already been swept and eliminated!

I'm on the Angels bandwagon for the rest of the playoffs.
I'll be backing both LA teams.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Raider_69 wrote:Go Phillys

:nooo

What link do you have to Philadelphia?

Philly sports fans are notoriously known as the worst in all of America. They're the team you love to hate - like Manly or the Roosters in the NRL.

Go Rockies! :cmon
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

IBG wrote:Philly sports fans are notoriously known as the worst in all of America. They're the team you love to hate - like Manly or the Roosters in the NRL.

No No, that honour goes to the Yankees.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

IBG wrote:What link do you have to Philadelphia?

Philly sports fans are notoriously known as the worst in all of America. They're the team you love to hate - like Manly or the Roosters in the NRL.

Picked the Eagles in the NFL, and generally once i pick a side and get passionate about them, i jump on all the local teams of that area. TBH i dont really give a **** about the Philli's or the Flyers in the NHL, but if gun is to my head, they are my team... tbh i find baseball hideously boring...

i found that pick on the Eagles Message Board.
Philli fans are teh awesome :woot: :thumbsup
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

I find that Baseball can be as exciting as a game of cricket. sometimes you get a really good one, sometimes an average one. Baseball has a few things over cricket though.

One, they play to a result. no ties. Last years all star game went into 6 extra innings for them to get a result.

2 if it rains, they make it up. the game is replayed later if its before the 5 inning.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

the one and only reason baseball is good right now is the Phillies looking like they'll be good bets for the World Series :thumbsup
I dont even care but whooo! go phillies... :lol:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raider_69 wrote:Go Phillys

Philly's # 1 ticket holder... Al Bundy
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

the poor sap has been photo shopped all over the Eagles message board :lol:
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Raider_69 wrote:the one and only reason baseball is good right now is the Phillies looking like they'll be good bets for the World Series :thumbsup
I dont even care but whooo! go phillies... :lol:
THEY BETTER BEAT THE YANKEES! :rant
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Yankees into the WS ... Go boys
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Bay56 wrote:Yankees into the WS ... Go boys
**** the Yankees!!!!!!!
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Dont worry yourself Pooley :D
The Phillis are going to take the WS easily, then they are going to take out the Lombardi, and for good measure, and for a laugh, the Flyers are going to make it a treble with the Stanley Cup... its a shame the 76ers in the NBA are dog ****
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

The Yankees will do their talking in the diamond boys :D
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Bay56 wrote:The Yankees will do their talking in the diamond boys :D
top of the 9th and the phillies are up 5-0!!!!!!!

oh and its being played at Yankee stadium!
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Phillies take the series to 1-0 after a 6-1 win over the Yankees in new York.