The Politics Thread 2009

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Crusher

The Politics Thread 2009

Post by Crusher »

Howard's ousting of Obama ignites firestorm

John Howard's decision to stay at the luxurious Blair House mansion in Washington DC has sparked a firestorm of protest in the US, with outraged Americans demanding the former prime minister book a hotel or stay at the Australian embassy.

The story was also a hot topic on US radio and television talkshows.

President-elect Barack Obama asked to stay at Blair House before taking the keys to the White House but was told it was booked. It forced Mr Obama, his wife, Michelle, and young daughters, Malia and Sasha, to stay at a DC hotel, the Hay-Adams.

The name of the occupant booked at Blair House on January 12 was a mystery for weeks. The Washington Post broke the news on Wednesday that Mr Howard and his wife, Janette, were the mystery boarders. News network CNN's senior political analyst, Jeffrey Toobin, said yesterday, ''Let the former prime minister John Howard stay at the Hay-Adams.''

US President George W.Bush offered Mr Howard Blair House weeks ago when he invited him to Washington to receive the Medal of Freedom for his support of the US in the war on terror. It is one of Washington's most luxurious residences, a 6500sqm mansion with 119 rooms, conveniently across the street from the White House. Mr Bush's two other key allies, former British prime minister Tony Blair and Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, will also receive the medal, but both declined offers to stay at Blair House.

Mr Blair will stay at the British embassy while Mr Uribe has found his own digs.

''This irritates me to NO end!,'' a Boston Globe reader wrote on the newspaper's website. ''The Blair House is owned by the American People! We have elected Mr Obama as our next president, yet this administration lets Mr Howard stay at Blair House! Move his backside to a hotel. Let the little girls and their family the Obamas have Blair House.''

A Washington Post reader wrote, ''WOW, Australia doesn't have an Embassy in Washington? Or is John Howard just so reviled by his own countrymen that they won't let him stay there''.

Some Americans supported Mr Howard. ''John Howard is a great friend of America and deserves to stay at Blair House,'' another Washington Post reader wrote.

Mr Howard and Mr Obama have some history. In February 2007, when Mr Howard was still in power, he took issue with the then Illinois senator's plan to set a timetable to withdraw United States troops from Iraq. ''I hope Mr Obama does not become president of the US,'' Mr Howard said at the time. Mr Obama retorted, ''We have close to 140,000 troops on the ground now and my understanding is that Mr Howard has deployed 1400. So if he's ... to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest he calls up another 20,000 Australians and sends them up to Iraq.''

A Washington Post reader pondered whether the exchange almost two years ago was behind Mr Howard's decision to stay at Blair House. ''Perhaps this is payback.''

Mr Howard stressed he was staying just one night in Blair House.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/lo ... torypage=2

God this waste of space is an embarrassment to our country, even after we voted him out. He should of stayed in the White House, with George W... it's about time those two got a room!
Mick
Simon Woolford

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Mick »

I wouldn't piss on Howard if he was on fire, but **** it he got there first why not stick around.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

God bless you Johnny :D
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

thickos wrote:God bless you Johnny :D
John Howard, still pissing on the bleating left
he booked it first, Obama can deal with it

Atta boy Johnny :thumbsup
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

The president elect is not meant to move in till the 15th, Howard will be out by then so technically he has done nothing wrong
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Rick James
Jason Croker

Post by Rick James »

Continues to embarrass us long after his term.
Canberra Raiders Fan since 1984
Gold Member #3939 since 2006
2009 Golden Boogs MIA Award Winner
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Rick James wrote:Continues to embarrass us long after his term.

How is he embarrassing us? He was invited to stay by the President, and was going to be out long before Obama was meant to move in. Obama wasnt upset, why should anyone else be?
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

manbush wrote:

How is he embarrassing us? He was invited to stay by the President, and was going to be out long before Obama was meant to move in. Obama wasnt upset, why should anyone else be?
He's a soul-mate of one of the most incompetent and disastrous political leaders of modern times...
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

slow news week..imo.

wake me whence something of importance has transpired.
This place is woke.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Michael wrote:
manbush wrote:

He's a soul-mate of one of the most incompetent and disastrous political leaders of modern times...

Lol cant disagree you with you on that
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

Michael wrote:
manbush wrote:

He's a soul-mate of one of the most incompetent and disastrous political leaders in the history of mankind ...
Fixed
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Heres one for ya team, its a quick little quiz that is suppose to show where you lie on the political compass
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

my results were surprising:

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.79
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Lol mine were

Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

Mine were

Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.69
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Michael wrote:Economic Left/Right: -7.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54
extremest **** :lol:
not surprisingly im the closest to centre, which clearly means im the least biased :cool: :lol:
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

*clears throat*

Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.13

Too many Question's imo and trick one as well..
Last edited by Off on January 13, 2009, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This place is woke.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Matt is a f**king facist...
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Michael wrote:Matt is a f**king facist...
you Anarchist you.
This place is woke.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Lol just waiting to see if anyone gets a + score
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26
1-eyedgreen
Chris O'Sullivan
Location: Eating a steady diet of Government cheese, living in a van down by the river.

Post by 1-eyedgreen »

Economic Left/Right: -0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my *****. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Dr. Kenneth Noisewater.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Economic Left/Right: -2.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90

And I vote Liberal too! :D
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

1-eyedgreen wrote:Economic Left/Right: -0.62
Sieg heil Mein Fuhrer.
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

Anyone who scores over +3.5 on the Social Side will be banned immediately.
Dr. Alex
Brett Mullins

Post by Dr. Alex »

Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38
1-eyedgreen
Chris O'Sullivan
Location: Eating a steady diet of Government cheese, living in a van down by the river.

Post by 1-eyedgreen »

Michael wrote:
1-eyedgreen wrote:Economic Left/Right: -0.62
Sieg heil Mein Fuhrer.
:lol:
The more time I spend in this thread the worse I get.
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my *****. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Dr. Kenneth Noisewater.
Stringer
John Ferguson

Post by Stringer »

Economic left/right -1.00
Social libertarian/Authoritarian -0.72
A big thanks to Fistinz for the signature
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Economic Left/Right: -1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

Apparently.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Rick James
Jason Croker

Post by Rick James »

Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08 :D
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Rick James wrote:Economic Left/Right: -5.12
It's been a treat mate. Banned!
**** commie's
Crusher

Post by Crusher »

Economic Left/Right: -2.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13
Rick James
Jason Croker

Post by Rick James »

Raider_69 wrote:
Rick James wrote:Economic Left/Right: -5.12
It's been a treat mate. Banned!
**** commie's
I'm starting the Raiders Communism Army in Melbs... prepare to be invaded from the South :lol:
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Economic Left/Right: -3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21
Stringer
John Ferguson