AFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Catherine
John Ferguson

AFL Thread

Post by Catherine »

Hello

I have entered an AFL tipping comp, there are cash prizes! :D The thing is I know nothing about AFL, does anyone know who I should tip? I will probably end up doing better than the league one.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ah, I think I will close this thread, on the basis that AFL is not a sport. :)
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

You cant do that greeneyed

** unlock **
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ah, yes I can. :)
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

No, no we cant GE
unfortunately like hell, the AFL does exist and we cant lock it because we think its a **** sport ;) :lol:

ON another note i dont acually mind their footy show, Trev cracks me up, and last week when Sam Newman got pissed on screen, the bloke must of drinken the best part of 3/4ths a bottle of beam in about 30 minutes :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

My advice Cath is to stop associating with the enemy. Tell them they can keep their cash, you don't want anything to do with that filthy thing called AFL!
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

I agree with greeneyed, this is an "other sports" forum. AFL is not a sport, so this should be in the Social Forum :)
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

I think Cath probably didnt have much of a choice .... I agree Cath you've prob got a good chance of winning even if you know very little.

I suggest you go for the home team for the first five rounds ..... then start going for the team higher on the table .... if teams are very similar on the table go for the home team ...

btw if you win I want some of your winnings in exchange for taking the trouble to have given you this advice :D :D
Last edited by Inactive on March 22, 2005, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Boyo..... I am so close to clicking the "lock" button on this thread.........
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

:lol: :lol:

AFL is disgraceful
any physical sport with charges such as "intent to cause a melee" or "rough play" should be considered tripe
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

nonetheless it's a sport ... much like crochet or cock fighting
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

Dictionary.com describes sport as:

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Now does 30+ grown men on a field slapping each other come under this definition?
You be the judge :D
Catherine
John Ferguson

Post by Catherine »

If I win any money it will go to purchase more Raiders Gear! :D I don't intent on watching any of it.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

I like AFL, and the Swans put our membership drives and advertising to shame. :cry:
skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

AFL.... :thumbsdown
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

I don't mind a little bit of AFL.. have to rather it over Union
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

OK, if we have to have an AFL thread, let's give the likes of Patrick Smith of the Australian some of his own back:

Tigers scratched by TAC
By Guy Hand
April 1, 2005

CASH-strapped AFL club Richmond has been stripped of its six-figure sponsorship from Victoria's road safety body in the wake of the Jay Schulz drink-driving debacle.

But Schulz has been spared the sack from the club, despite the fact his indiscretion has hammered the Tigers in the hip pocket to the tune of an estimated $400,000.

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) today terminated its agreement with the Tigers after Schulz was pulled over by police on Thursday travelling 80km/h in a 40km/h zone, with a blood alcohol reading of .065.

Schulz lost his licence for six months and was fined by police.

He also received a $5000 fine from Richmond for breaching the players' code of conduct.

But sources say the 19-year-old P-plater's indiscretion has cost the Tigers around $400,000 – the amount owing to the club this year under the sponsorship deal.

TAC chief executive Stephen Grant said his organisation had no choice but to end its 16-year association with Richmond – citing a warning given to the club after a similar incident in 2001.

Former Tigers player Royce Vardy was charged with drink-driving that year and the club was put on notice a similar breach would result in the sponsorship being terminated.

"We owe it to every Victorian who has been injured or lost a loved one to road trauma to honour that pledge," Grant said.

Losing its major sponsor is the last thing Richmond needs after a $2 million loss last year.

But Richmond president Clinton Casey said the Tigers would now seek another major sponsor and were confident of emerging with a new deal soon.

"We are extremely disappointed to receive this advice given our 16-year relationship with the Transport Accident Commission that has helped change community behavior with respect to road safety and drink-driving," Casey said.

"As we have already made very clear, we in no way condone yesterday's incident, but it must be remembered that the Richmond Football Club has also undertaken a considerable amount of positive work in the community as ambassadors for the TAC.

"Over the period, we have spoken to tens of thousands of people on issues of road safety and drink-driving through education, training programs, country, hospital and school visits."

Grant denied the TAC was being too harsh over the issue, with the South Australian teenager now having to live the incident down for the rest of his career.

He said those who disagreed should visit a road accident trauma ward or meet the parents of teenagers who had been killed as a result of drink-driving incidents.

Schulz, currently sidelined with a broken ankle, was forced to front his teammates, coach Terry Wallace and club officials before training this morning to apologise.

Wallace said Schulz would not be sacked over the incident, though he and the team's leadership group were less than impressed by the young key position player's actions.

But Wallace said the club also had a responsibility to help Schulz deal with the fallout.

"We couldn't be more disappointed," Wallace said.

"But I've got a real belief we need to educate, not assassinate.

"This is a massive mistake the boy's made, but we've got to be supportive of this boy as well.pe"He's suffered the legal ramifications for what he's done, he's suffered the club ramifications for what he's done, and he's suffered the community ramifications for what he's done.

"We need to be supportive and ensure it doesn't become too overwhelming for him."

Grant said the TAC would review its remaining AFL sponsorship with Collingwood at the end of the year, but said the Schulz incident would not affect how it viewed continuing its deal with the Magpies.

"We'll obviously think about our commitments and how best to promote road safety messages in Victoria and we'll think about what the mix of football should be within that.

"We do look for role models in football players and there have been some very successful ones.

"Collingwood are well aware of their obligations under their contract and that hasn't changed."

FOX SPORTS
I Miss Marty
David Furner
Favourite Player: I'm still deciding

Post by I Miss Marty »

AFL is great! But unfortunately my lions are going **** house this season... and after about 10 THOUSAND scotches that is all i have to say :S
mike83au
Steve Walters

Post by mike83au »

I've got a bit of a dilemma...

I'll come out the closet and admit I'm a Swannies fan.... and I scored some free tickets to their game this Sunday arvo at 1.10pm.... which means I won't be able to listen/watch the Raiders game live.

I plan on watching it on Foxsports at 6pm, because I can't stand watching all the ads on free to air.

I have 2 questions:

(1) Does anyone get really, REALLY upset/down/frustrated when you can't listen/watch the game live? I mean, i get obsessive and it turns me into a fu**en monster.

and

(2) When games are on free to air on a Sunday, would you suggest not knowing the score before watching the game? I have no idea what to do :(

PLEASE HELP.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I suggest you throw out the AFL tickets. Get in the car and head down the Hume to Canberra Stadium, watch the game live. Meanwhile, set the video recorder at home so you can watch the Raiders victory again!
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Mike I suggest you take greeneyed's advice ...

I'll also admit to a sin ... I'm a Collingwood supporter :cry: but if it came to a choice between the magpies and the Raiders it'd be no contest.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

I'll also admit to the fact that many people have enquired if I have tourett's syndrome while watching the footy
Dolph
Jason Croker

Post by Dolph »

AFL is a great game but is being governed into a stop start union like palava.

Rugby League sh*ts all over it IMO.
I'm like the Phoenix, rising from Arizona.
mike83au
Steve Walters

Post by mike83au »

Oh, don't get me wrong if it came down to the cruch, the Swans would never get a look in over the Raiders.

I think I've solved my dilemma.

I'm off to watch the Swans at 1.10pm at the SCG, then when the game is over, I'm scooting over to the ajoining the Fox Studios and watching the game from the Sports Bar.

It's all good. :D
paulquinn49
Brett Mullins

Post by paulquinn49 »

'Canberra' Roos reliant on Carey

THE Kangaroos will rely on former great Wayne Carey to help sell their continued push into the Canberra, where they will play three home games this year.

But Carey was a non-starter for his scheduled appearance in Canberra today, when the Kangaroos announced they would be giving away 9000 free tickets for the June 5 match against Melbourne at Manuka Oval through a sponsorship deal with Foxtel Digital.

2006: Celebrating 25 years since Bay56 jumped ship from South Sydney to Canberra Raiders

paulquinn49
Brett Mullins

Post by paulquinn49 »

Raiders have a bye that weekend

2006: Celebrating 25 years since Bay56 jumped ship from South Sydney to Canberra Raiders

Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Yes the free tickets wre highlighted on WIN news tonight
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They announced that they are giving away the tickets, and then said something like.... "we want to make sure that the people turn up with their free tickets though"....... :lol: Hilarious. Only way for them to get a crowd is to give away every reserved seat!
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by GreenGuy »

I have no choice on AFL, it's everywhere here. But i make sure everyone knows i'm a Swans fan.
Also, the atmosphere at the MCG with a crowd of over 80k is amazing.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

More AFL bad news swept under the carpet by the media....

AFL players use drugs, says Anderson
21:54 AEST Wed May 18 2005
AAP
AFL players used illicit drugs such as ecstasy "from time to time", the league's football operations manager Adrian Anderson has said.

But Anderson refused to say whether former Carlton player Laurence Angwin was right or wrong when claiming illicit drug use was commonplace within the AFL.

With the league already embroiled in a debate over players using caffeine, Angwin claimed in The Bulletin magazine recreational drug use was rife among AFL players.

He said three other Carlton players were taking ecstasy along with he and teammate Karl Norman the night before the duo tested positive to the drug last year.

Angwin was sacked by the club, while Norman was fined and suspended.

"I believe that illicit drugs are used in society and they are used from time to time in football," Anderson told reporters in Adelaide.

"It is an issue in society, the use of these drugs, and footballers are part of society and the use of these drugs can happen in football like it happens anywhere else."

Carlton coach Denis Pagan slammed Angwin's claim that three higher-profile Blues were involved in illicit drug-taking, saying the allegations were unfounded and questioning his credibility.

But Anderson, in a somewhat farcical media conference outside the Adelaide Crows' headquarters, refused to directly answer questions about Angwin's claims or the wider issue of illicit drug use within the AFL.

"We have introduced a new illicit drugs policy this year and we're testing for illicit drugs more than we ever have before," he said in a stock line repeated in some variation 13 times in answer to reporters' questions.

He said the number of AFL players who tested positive for illicit drugs was "less than the incidence in the community".

Under the AFL's illicit drug testing program, medical officers at clubs are informed of any positive result, but the results are kept secret from the media and public.

"The incidence of drug use (by AFL players) has been well below what there has been in society," Anderson said.

Anderson conceded Angwin's claims damaged the image of the AFL, but said he had given no thought as to whether Angwin would be interviewed by the league about the allegations.

But Pagan wasn't holding back over Angwin's claims.

Angwin was axed in April 2004 following his positive drug test - the final straw for the club after he had previously pleaded guilty to four counts of burglary and theft.

"He had the opportunity to play AFL football, but it was his repeated misconduct that led to his playing contract being terminated by the club.

"The fact that he chose to make such unfounded comments some 13 months later, and not taken up the opportunity for assistance offered by the Carlton Football Club and the AFL Players' Association, certainly questions his credibility."

Pagan said it was Carlton's senior players who alerted the club to Angwin and Norman being under the influence of ecstasy at training - which led to them being tested by the club.

Pagan said the club had conducted its own investigations and found nothing to suggest other players were involved in illicit drug-taking.

"The matter was fully investigated at the time and there was no evidence to suggest any other player was involved," Pagan said.

"As coach of the Carlton Football Club, I can tell you that I fully support the playing group."

Pagan said he had every confidence in the AFL's drug-testing regimen and that those who took drugs would eventually be found out and pay the price.
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins

Post by GreenGuy »

that's been huge news over here for a couple of weeks, i'm sick of it
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Over where?
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins