All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Coaching issues

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 8, 2024, 4:44 pm Written 15 years ago.

Thanks for thinking of me, Ricky, but I have better things to do

Phil Gould | April 26, 2009

Dear Ricky, perhaps you misunderstood my comments during the week about your predicament at Cronulla.

Your invitation to have me come to training and talk to your players about attacking football is quite flattering, however, I didn't actually offer you any assistance.

First, I'm retired. Second, even if I were motivated to coach, you'd be the last person I'd help. To be honest Ricky, you are the most pig-headed and ungrateful person I've met in football. I discontinued my association with you four years ago because I could no longer tolerate your petulance.

Read more: http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews ... 48338.html
Gus hating you is like Paul Kent hating you- not a cause for concern.

Probably a net positive all considered.
Paul Kent hates Hong Kong Raider?

Wait until I see that **** next, I’m going to flip him into a tree!
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I just included it as the criticisms by Gould 15 years ago equally apply today regarding the coaching of attack, ability to score points and exploit opposition weaknesses, blaming of refs for losses (although that has improved this year), being petulant, players that weren't good in attack at Canberra improving after they had left (most obvious example being CNK).
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:I just included it as the criticisms by Gould 15 years ago equally apply today regarding the coaching of attack, ability to score points and exploit opposition weaknesses, blaming of refs for losses (although that has improved this year), being petulant, players that weren't good in attack at Canberra improving after they had left (most obvious example being CNK).
Yeah, I agree completely. It really is a tale of how he runs this current club

I genuinely have no idea why Paul Kent hates you, HKR
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Phil Gould lecturing anyone on petulance. It's like Andrew Johns doing a TED talk on the social benefits of acting like a grown up.

**** me.

Anyway, good times. As you were.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

WobblyWaider wrote:
Bluesbrother wrote: May 7, 2024, 6:30 pm To sum it up, Andrew Webster is struggling. How about other highly touted coaches who have come through in the last few seasons? Adam Obrien? Stinking the house down. Todd Payten. Also wafting an abhorrent stench. Jason Demetriou? Jack is playing the best footy of his career under him.?

Ciraldo and Fitzgibbon seem to be doing outstanding.

Those giving Ricky a hard time only need to look at the results this bunch have dished up in recent times. All, barring the Bulldogs, with much bigger stars on their books.
i get what you are saying, but do we ignore the stinkathon that's been dished up to home fans over the last 3-4 years ?

its a bit like your dog smells worse than mine......but they both stink
Yeah must suck to make the finals every year while big clubs like the Tigers, Dragons and Bulldogs are no where near playing Finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
WobblyWaider
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by WobblyWaider »

Brew wrote: May 11, 2024, 10:28 am
WobblyWaider wrote:
Bluesbrother wrote: May 7, 2024, 6:30 pm To sum it up, Andrew Webster is struggling. How about other highly touted coaches who have come through in the last few seasons? Adam Obrien? Stinking the house down. Todd Payten. Also wafting an abhorrent stench. Jason Demetriou? Jack is playing the best footy of his career under him.?

Those giving Ricky a hard time only need to look at the results this bunch have dished up in recent times. All, barring the Bulldogs, with much bigger stars on their books.
i get what you are saying, but do we ignore the stinkathon that's been dished up to home fans over the last 3-4 years ?

Yeah must suck to make the finals every year while big clubs like the Tigers, Dragons and Bulldogs are no where near playing Finals.

yes, just as it does to pay your hard earned to front up at home and watch regular floggings year after year after year.
Yes, just as it does to watch the team implode year after year.
Yes, just as it does to think about the complete lack of accountability ( signing 4 hookers, having a player miss a game to allow him to celebrate a milestone at home...then arguably produce one of the worst home performances of all time, premeditated mindset to either include or exclude players, etc etc)

yes things are different this year, and it is extremely refreshing to see, but that in itself does not absolve what has occurred
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

WobblyWaider wrote: May 11, 2024, 11:06 am
WobblyWaider wrote:

yes, just as it does to pay your hard earned to front up at home and watch regular floggings year after year after year.
Yes, just as it does to think about the complete lack of accountability ( signing 4 hookers, having a player miss a game to allow him to celebrate a milestone at home...then arguably produce one of the worst home performances of all time, premeditated mindset to either include or exclude players, etc etc)

yes things are different this year, and it is extremely refreshing to see, but that in itself does not absolve what has occurred
Just ignore him... has altitude induced hypoxia from spending time in a corporate box at stadium at Bruce apparently, while the rest of us plebs suffer in the inner bowl.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Azza wrote: May 11, 2024, 11:08 am
WobblyWaider wrote:

Just ignore him... has altitude induced hypoxia from spending time in a corporate box at stadium at Bruce apparently, while the rest of us plebs suffer in the inner bowl.
The irony is, I swear I see Brew's head next to The Raiders Drummer in the front row all the time. I'm yet to see him up waving at us from the corporate box
Last edited by Finchy on May 11, 2024, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Finchy wrote:
Azza wrote: May 11, 2024, 11:08 am
WobblyWaider wrote: i get what you are saying, but do we ignore the stinkathon that's been dished up to home fans over the last 3-4 years ?

The irony is, I swear I see Brew's head next to The Raiders Drummer in the front row all the time. I'm yet to see him up waving at us from the corporate box
Yeah bro I never claim to be in there every week.

Next home game I will be, then back with the Punters the following game.

Sometimes I get 1 ticket only to a box but I don’t take it as I don’t ditch mates so I knock it back.

And my work stopped sponsoring the Raiders they are with Palmerbet now. Such is life.

In Ricky We Trust
WobblyWaider
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by WobblyWaider »

Just announced on NRL360.....

Stuart to resign until 2029
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Good to see Ricky to be extended.

Sweet 16: Ricky Stuart poised to sign massive extension: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

How good!!!

5 more years of this thread, I’ll grab the popcorn

Would this be a record GE for the longest thread by 2029?

In Ricky We Trust
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Yessss!!! Another five years of discussing crashball tactics!! At least our inbred hick of a club keeps GE in a job!
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Sick of these players playing for their Coach

So frustrating

In Ricky We Trust
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Brew wrote: May 17, 2024, 8:31 pm Sick of these players playing for their Coach

So frustrating

They are playing for Ricky without a doubt and it is delightful to see. I’d like to subscribe to your newsletter or periodical and request a berth in your corporate suite if available.
Up The Milk
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
Brew wrote: May 17, 2024, 8:31 pm Sick of these players playing for their Coach

So frustrating

They are playing for Ricky without a doubt and it is delightful to see. I’d like to subscribe to your newsletter or periodical and request a berth in your corporate suite if available.
I can only offer subscriptions to my only fans at this stage featuring Stick

In Ricky We Trust
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Interesting that Eels have parted ways with Brad Arthur.

He was the closest and only analogue to Ricky we have in the NRL in terms of a coach who has a long tenure at a club without delivering a premiership.

If there was any doubt whatsoever (there wasn't but anyway) that we are the club with the highest threshold for tolerance/patience for mediocrity, it has been swept away.

Arthur guided his team to a GF in 2022 and was sacked 18 months later.

I think if Raiders were like any other club in the NRL, Ricky would have been sacked in 2018 or when the wheels were falling off at the start of 2022.

And before anyone starts jumping up and down, no I am not calling for Ricky to be sacked, I just think it is an interesting comparison.
Up The Milk
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 21, 2024, 11:02 am Interesting that Eels have parted ways with Brad Arthur.

He was the closest and only analogue to Ricky we have in the NRL in terms of a coach who has a long tenure at a club without delivering a premiership.

If there was any doubt whatsoever (there wasn't but anyway) that we are the club with the highest threshold for tolerance/patience for mediocrity, it has been swept away.

Arthur guided his team to a GF in 2022 and was sacked 18 months later.

I think if Raiders were like any other club in the NRL, Ricky would have been sacked in 2018 or when the wheels were falling off at the start of 2022.

And before anyone starts jumping up and down, no I am not calling for Ricky to be sacked, I just think it is an interesting comparison.
I haven’t read all the way to the end, but what you’re saying is - you’re calling for Ricky to be sacked?

(posted whilst jumping up and down).
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Yawn.

You can’t really compare a big Western Sydney Club like Parramatta to Canberra, a place no one wants to visit let alone live there.

Raiders continue to punch above their weight with what we have, imagine if we had players wanting to live in Canberra instead of Sydney what could be achieved.

At least Ricky makes us relevant.

In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brew wrote: May 21, 2024, 1:38 pm Yawn.

You can’t really compare a big Western Sydney Club like Parramatta to Canberra, a place no one wants to visit let alone live there.

That’s a really awful thing to say about our city, the city our club represents. Canberra is a beautiful, great place to live and visit and a great place at which to play football.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Brewski channeling Brad Fittler with his love of Canberra
Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

greeneyed wrote: May 21, 2024, 2:00 pm

That’s a really awful thing to say about our city, the city our club represents. Canberra is a beautiful, great place to live and visit and a great place at which to play football.
I miss home down there. The Riff is good at times but the behaviour of some people in Sydney has turned me into a misanthrope. The culture is nothing like Canberra (the big town vibes it has rather than city).
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

164 points let in the last five games... 32.8 a game.... 76 points scored... 15.2 a game...

During this run we extended the coach another few years....
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

Ultima wrote: May 25, 2024, 4:57 pm 164 points let in the last five games... 32.8 a game.... 76 points scored... 15.2 a game...

:roflmao :roflmao
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: May 21, 2024, 2:00 pm

That might be true but you would have to be truly deluded to think that a player is going to choose Canberra over Sydney or Brisbane 99 times out of 100. It’s not only the perceived lack of excitement etc it’s also the lack of access to corporates and TPA’s in Canberra compared to Sydney and Brisbane.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Ultima wrote: May 25, 2024, 4:57 pm 164 points let in the last five games... 32.8 a game.... 76 points scored... 15.2 a game...

Whilst I agree there was definitely no need to extend the coach, I think coaching outside of Cleary, Bellamy and Bennett (who have clearly shown they can develop talent or makes teams better than they are) has very little effect.

We are where we are because of a general lack of talent and we definitely don’t have the talent to compete with the likes of the Roosters, Storm, Penrith, and the Broncos. Ricky haters probably think that is a cope out but it is what is. We are also probably never going to win another competition simply because of our location; not unless the player transfer system changes.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

^^^this is rubbish.

We know for a fact that Penrith Panthers players live in Penrith which is hardly a glamour location and they are winning premierships for fun.

Yes, we are never going to have the charmed existence of clubs like Manly, Roosters and Broncos.

In fact I think all “regional” teams like us, Knights and Cowboys definitely face our challenges.

But throwing our hands up and saying location location is why we can’t win stuff is a cop out.
Up The Milk
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

You cannot compare Canberra to the Panthers. Penrith are in the middle of the absolute demographic gold mine for a NRL development club. They still have to work at it but it's just not even remotely the same situation.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 25, 2024, 9:34 pm ^^^this is rubbish.

We know for a fact that Penrith Panthers players live in Penrith which is hardly a glamour location and they are winning premierships for fun.

Yes, we are never going to have the charmed existence of clubs like Manly, Roosters and Broncos.

In fact I think all “regional” teams like us, Knights and Cowboys definitely face our challenges.

But throwing our hands up and saying location location is why we can’t win stuff is a cop out.
It has always been a lot easier to get players to Penrith than it is to Canberra. They are absolutely charmed in terms of population and junior numbers.

It is about time that people realise that regional clubs like Canberra, Newcastle and Cowboys are minuscule chances of winning comps without a draft or something similar. The only hope they really have is hoping that the next superstar or superstars just happen to be born in Townsville, Canberra or Newcastle. Heck it is why the idea of a PNG team is the most ridiculous idea conceived by anybody in Australian sport; or perhaps even world sport.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki

NoMan wrote: May 25, 2024, 9:39 pm You cannot compare Canberra to the Panthers. Penrith are in the middle of the absolute demographic gold mine for a NRL development club. They still have to work at it but it's just not even remotely the same situation.
So does the coach think we can win a premiership by recruiting the right people despite the location ? He was complaining how Roosters had the better roster ? Does he consider whether people want to play for him? What systems has he established in his 11 years at the club?

So we need to wait for an additional 5 years to find out the question we already know ?
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 25, 2024, 11:09 pm
NoMan wrote: May 25, 2024, 9:39 pm You cannot compare Canberra to the Panthers. Penrith are in the middle of the absolute demographic gold mine for a NRL development club. They still have to work at it but it's just not even remotely the same situation.
So does the coach think we can win a premiership by recruiting the right people despite the location ? He was complaining how Roosters had the better roster ? Does he consider whether people want to play for him? What systems has he established in his 11 years at the club?

So we need to wait for an additional 5 years to find out the question we already know ?
Seriously mate have a think about it. Without a draft, clubs like Newcastle, Cowboys and Newcastle have literally no chance (very little) of winning a competition. That or hope some blokes from country NSW are the next superstars of the game like what happened for us in the late 80’s.

If you are a player in your 20’s are you choosing Canberra or Bondi offering similar money regardless of where the teams are sitting? Players are always going to choose Sydney or Brisbane unless they have literally no choice or we offer something well overs. Case in point, Canterbury were able to recruit Burton, Kikau, Crichton, Mahoney with Trent Barrett and then Cameron Ciraldo as coaches. Chuck that club in Canberra and see who they would have recruited with those coaches.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki

Colk wrote: May 25, 2024, 11:20 pm

Seriously mate have a think about it. Without a draft, clubs like Newcastle, Cowboys and Newcastle have literally no chance (very little) of winning a competition. That or hope some blokes from country NSW are the next superstars of the game like what happened for us in the late 80’s.

If you are a player in your 20’s are you choosing Canberra or Bondi offering similar money regardless of where the teams are sitting? Players are always going to choose Sydney or Brisbane unless they have literally no choice or we offer something well overs. Case in point, Canterbury were able to recruit Burton, Kikau, Crichton, Mahoney with Trent Barrett and then Cameron Ciraldo as coaches. Chuck that club in Canberra and see who they would have recruited with those coaches.
Have a think about your posts and what you're saying. The Cowboys, Newcastle and Warriors have been able to build good squads through recruitment. They are much closer than us to a premiership. The Cowboys won in 2015, against Brisbane, while Roosters and Melbourne were in top 4 that year.

From what you're saying, we might as well give up and fold the club.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 25, 2024, 11:30 pm
Colk wrote: May 25, 2024, 11:20 pm

Have a think about your posts and what you're saying. The Cowboys, Newcastle and Warriors have been able to build good squads through recruitment. They are much closer than us to a premiership. The Cowboys won in 2015, against Brisbane, while Roosters and Melbourne were in top 4 that year.

From what you're saying, we might as well give up and fold the club.
Are they?

The Cowboys have won one competition and they are currently sitting below us on the ladder. They had to fork out $850k for an average first grade half as an example.They can’t recruit first graders like us. They are not close to winning a competition; heck Todd Payten is probably struggling to keep his job.

The Knights had to spend $1.4m on their best player (which is overs) in order to keep him whom they also spent massive overs in order to lure him in the first place. They have recruited Mitchell Pearce, Tyson Frizell and Dane Gagai in their 30’s as their major recruits. Their last competition win was in 2001 and they have spent the majority of those years since outside of the eight. Heck they were the worst first grade side I’d seen since Wests about seven or eight years ago. They are not close to winning a competition.

The Warriors are the closest of the four, though they haven’t won a competition as yet. It would be good to see them win but I can’t see them beating Penrith, Storm or Roosters in a finals game.

So your counter argument is that one team outside a large metro has won a competition in the last 20 years, mainly on the back of the good fortune of recruiting one of the greatest halfbacks of the game before he was a big name.

It’s massively difficult to win a competition if you’re based outside of a metro. I hope the club never folds (they won’t because they have money) but in the future they may have to consider relocating to actually compete on the field
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

greeneyed wrote:

I love Canberra. I agree. It’s not my opinion it just the opinion of 20 year old footballers who would prefer to live in Sydney or Queensland.

You think if Footballers want to live there we would have signed at least one person of note in the past decade.

In Ricky We Trust