From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: The Soccer/Football Thread

Post by zim »

Liverpool thrown another one away. Story of their season. Had a really strong chance to win it all at one point and just weakly capitulated.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by PNGRaider37 »

zim wrote: May 15, 2024, 2:29 pm Liverpool thrown another one away. Story of their season. Had a really strong chance to win it all at one point and just weakly capitulated.
Pretty much. I'll take top 4 and a trophy after last seasons debacle. Wouldve been nice to send off Klopp in a bigger way but not to be 🤷🏾‍♂️ Spurs fans (those not of an ange persuasion but the ones that live there) are celebrating that loss like a huge win all over the internet 🤣🤣
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I'd just like to watch Liverpool defend with some chutzpah next season.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The final two deferred matches have been played and Chelsea beat Brighton 2-1 and Manchester United beat Newcastle 3-2. So with all sides now having played 37 of 38 matches Manchester City are on track to win a record breaking 4 Premier League titles in a row. A fabulous effort by them. The table:

1. Manchester City - 88
2. Arsenal - 86
3. Liverpool - 79
4. Aston Villa - 68
5. Tottenham Hotspur - 63
6. Chelsea - 60
7. Newcastle - 57
8. Manchester United - 57

The matches for the two sides competing for top spot are Manchester City V West Ham and Arsenal V Everton.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

zim wrote: May 15, 2024, 2:29 pm Liverpool thrown another one away. Story of their season. Had a really strong chance to win it all at one point and just weakly capitulated.
Liverpool leading the Premier League competition in late January and then Coach Klopp drops the news he will be leaving at the end of the season. I reckon the uncertainty created affected the Liverpool season. In one surprise announcement there was fog about the future. Imo some of Klopp's authority within the structure was diminished and we saw the likes of Mo Salah openly angry with Klopp on the sideline during a game to the point where he had to be restrained by other Liverpool players. Whoever replaces Klopp will be inheriting a strong squad of players who had Liverpool placed top of the Premier League beyond the half way point of the season. Good luck to whoever they choose.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Salah needed that rev up. He'd been **** since coming back and pulled it together after the confrontation. I think that defensive unit is just not as good as they think they are.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RedRaider wrote: May 16, 2024, 8:46 am
Liverpool leading the Premier League competition in late January and then Coach Klopp drops the news he will be leaving at the end of the season. I reckon the uncertainty created affected the Liverpool season. In one surprise announcement there was fog about the future. Imo some of Klopp's authority within the structure was diminished and we saw the likes of Mo Salah openly angry with Klopp on the sideline during a game to the point where he had to be restrained by other Liverpool players. Whoever replaces Klopp will be inheriting a strong squad of players who had Liverpool placed top of the Premier League beyond the half way point of the season. Good luck to whoever they choose.

Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows. But yes, whoever comes in, they have a great squad to work with. Couple of signings in defence and a defensive midfielder should help. The squad will have experience after that but they need a bit more steel and know how in those games where you just need to get the win and not try to total football oppositions for 90mins. Hopefully the new coach (looks like Arne slot is the guy) and signings bring that.

Disagreements happen all the time between players and coach (see Pep KDB). Doubt it had anything to do with the announcement. Salah was playing crap and he had a whinge that he (deservedly) wasnt starting. End.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

zim wrote: May 16, 2024, 3:56 pm Salah needed that rev up. He'd been **** since coming back and pulled it together after the confrontation. I think that defensive unit is just not as good as they think they are.

I swear to god the amount of bonehead goals conceded this year. Basic errors, lines not compact or just switching off. Allison was the busiest he's been since he joined LFC. Gotta sort that out to have any chance.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

PNGRaider37 wrote: May 17, 2024, 7:41 am

Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows. But yes, whoever comes in, they have a great squad to work with. Couple of signings in defence and a defensive midfielder should help. The squad will have experience after that but they need a bit more steel and know how in those games where you just need to get the win and not try to total football oppositions for 90mins. Hopefully the new coach (looks like Arne slot is the guy) and signings bring that.

Disagreements happen all the time between players and coach (see Pep KDB). Doubt it had anything to do with the announcement. Salah was playing crap and he had a whinge that he (deservedly) wasnt starting. End.
I reckon there is a big difference between a disagreement, which happens between people everywhere and players taking action to physically restrain a team mate. I don't know (or want to know) the details, but one half of the disagreement, Klopp, will no longer be there after next Monday, our time. I wish Liverpool FC well for next season.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RedRaider wrote: May 17, 2024, 8:56 am
PNGRaider37 wrote: May 17, 2024, 7:41 am

I reckon there is a big difference between a disagreement, which happens between people everywhere and players taking action to physically restrain a team mate. I don't know (or want to know) the details, but one half of the disagreement, Klopp, will no longer be there after next Monday, our time. I wish Liverpool FC well for next season.
U lost me mate. At least we aint spurs🙃🤣
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Match Fixing - three players from Macarthur FC have been arrested for manipulating yellow cards during matches. Allegedly acting on orders from organised crime figures from South America. Just as the A League is into the return semi final clashes, something like this has to take some of the shine off the highlight of the season, final series. If the players involved are found guilty I hope they cop a world wide playing ban.

https://time.com/6979222/australia-leag ... rd-fixing/