The Politics Thread 2024

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23014
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by Dr Zaius »

And you can **** right off with your boomer comment. Between millennials and Boomers there is a generation that thinks that they are both a bunch of entitled *****.
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16807
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by gangrenous »

gerg wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
gerg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 3, 2024, 7:00 am Seems like a whole lot of fuss for something that realistically isn't going to make a squat of difference to people living in Gaza.
They're not just protesting the war itself, they're also protesting their own university's divestment of their tuition in companies that invest in weapons manufacturing for the Israeli military, and they want an increase in transparency about its assets, to sever ties with Israeli universities, as well as (obviously) calling for an immediate and permanent ceasefire in Gaza.

Personally, I think they're well within their rights to protest their own money being used to fund the war. The whole "why even bother" argument doesn't hold up particularly well in the face of any protest throughout history.
I don't entirely understand but wouldn't it be better for them to protest with their feet? As in finding a different university that doesn't channel money like they are claiming. If for example McDonald's was doing something you didn't like, you wouldn't go and buy their product and then protest in the carpark between mouthfuls of big mac.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Sure because it’s real easy to transfer partially completed degrees and uproot your life.

Let’s be real. A conversation asking the university to divest is a far more reasonable first step.
I don't know how easy it is to transfer but this isn't a new conflict. Unless the university has only recently started to financially support Israel?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
You don’t think things have changed significantly in Israel recently that plays a large part?
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16807
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:
gangrenous wrote:You’re officially old Doc.

You’ve reached the point of jaded where you abandon hope of change because it might not work and it’s hard.

By all means switch goalposts and go for critiquing the way they’re protesting instead. But looking down on protests generally because it’s hard to see the direct impact? That’s when you’ve reached sad old boomer status.
I've not switched the goal posts. Their protest is disruptive and intimating to people who have no role in the problem. It is spreading hate speech. I'd be all for the former if it was to achieve something but it won't, and I'll support peaceful protest but as I've consistently said, the ends in this case are doesn't justify the means.
Ok, just didn’t read that way originally since Nickman was telling you what they were protesting and the early responses didn’t speak to that aspect. Came across as against the concept more than the specific actions.

Gen X is Boomer-lite. If it quacks like a Boomer…
User avatar
gerg
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12775
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
gerg wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
gerg wrote:
The Nickman wrote: They're not just protesting the war itself, they're also protesting their own university's divestment of their tuition in companies that invest in weapons manufacturing for the Israeli military, and they want an increase in transparency about its assets, to sever ties with Israeli universities, as well as (obviously) calling for an immediate and permanent ceasefire in Gaza.

Personally, I think they're well within their rights to protest their own money being used to fund the war. The whole "why even bother" argument doesn't hold up particularly well in the face of any protest throughout history.
I don't entirely understand but wouldn't it be better for them to protest with their feet? As in finding a different university that doesn't channel money like they are claiming. If for example McDonald's was doing something you didn't like, you wouldn't go and buy their product and then protest in the carpark between mouthfuls of big mac.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Sure because it’s real easy to transfer partially completed degrees and uproot your life.

Let’s be real. A conversation asking the university to divest is a far more reasonable first step.
I don't know how easy it is to transfer but this isn't a new conflict. Unless the university has only recently started to financially support Israel?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
You don’t think things have changed significantly in Israel recently that plays a large part?
No doubt it's escalated but it's been going on for a long time. I don't want to trigger your poor generational sensitivities (tongue in cheek) but as a kid I remember seeing on the news them fighting almost daily, and that was 40 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16807
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by gangrenous »

gerg wrote: I don't want to trigger your poor generational sensitivities (tongue in cheek)
Image

On the point though. Pretty reasonable that 20 year olds wouldn’t likely have had much awareness to this point.
User avatar
gerg
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12775
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
gerg wrote: I don't want to trigger your poor generational sensitivities (tongue in cheek)
Image

On the point though. Pretty reasonable that 20 year olds wouldn’t likely have had much awareness to this point.
Yes, very true gangers. Nothing happened in the world prior to millennials coming along.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16807
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by gangrenous »

That’s not even close to what I’m saying Gerg?

I’m saying show me an 18 year old who is well versed in geopolitical history. There’s like 10 of them, and most of them are no fun.

It’s very likely that recent events triggered some of these students to actually become aware of the situation for the first time.

Plus they wouldn’t go to any institution probably if the checklist to decide went as far as the minutiae of their investment portfolio.

Finally, hate to break it to you but this crew is Gen Z!
User avatar
papabear
Steve Walters
Posts: 7060
Joined: August 27, 2007, 2:26 pm
Location: leafy part of sydney

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: May 4, 2024, 3:07 pm You’re officially old Doc.

You’ve reached the point of jaded where you abandon hope of change because it might not work and it’s hard.

By all means switch goalposts and go for critiquing the way they’re protesting instead. But looking down on protests generally because it’s hard to see the direct impact? That’s when you’ve reached sad old boomer status.
I see why Dr Zaius was triggered.

I do not see why the bolded was necessary at all.

It just comes across as lacking any social grace whatsoever. Again, you can continue making your point about protestors fighting the good fight without personal insults. It feels that this personal insult issue is coming up more and more when it doesn't need to.

re reading the post I think I was a touch kind, there were two sentences which were relevant and three sentences which were just insults.

It isn't good enough. You have posted here for long enough to know how to post with a bit of decency.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 51589
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by The Nickman »

To be fair though, Doctor Zaius DOES resemble a sad old boomer more and more everytime I catch up with him for a beer.
User avatar
papabear
Steve Walters
Posts: 7060
Joined: August 27, 2007, 2:26 pm
Location: leafy part of sydney

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by papabear »

Perhaps but your opinion in bromance and love is different to someone weaponising it unnecessarily making their about the man and not the ball.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 51589
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by The Nickman »

Honestly, I have to say your sudden "It's not fair, stop calling people mean things" is an interesting and invigorating new shtick, papa.
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23014
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by Dr Zaius »

I appreciate your support papa, though I'm not sure that I was triggered. Gangrenous not doing anything to dispell stereotypes about millennials.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 51589
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 13, 2024, 5:28 pm I appreciate your support papa, though I'm not sure that I was triggered. Gangrenous not doing anything to dispell stereotypes about millennials.
Alright, alright, stop yelling at everyone.
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16807
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by gangrenous »

papabear wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 4, 2024, 3:07 pm You’re officially old Doc.

You’ve reached the point of jaded where you abandon hope of change because it might not work and it’s hard.

By all means switch goalposts and go for critiquing the way they’re protesting instead. But looking down on protests generally because it’s hard to see the direct impact? That’s when you’ve reached sad old boomer status.
I see why Dr Zaius was triggered.

I do not see why the bolded was necessary at all.

It just comes across as lacking any social grace whatsoever. Again, you can continue making your point about protestors fighting the good fight without personal insults. It feels that this personal insult issue is coming up more and more when it doesn't need to.

re reading the post I think I was a touch kind, there were two sentences which were relevant and three sentences which were just insults.

It isn't good enough. You have posted here for long enough to know how to post with a bit of decency.
In the subsequent post Zaius clarified that he’s against the method more than the protesting in itself. I’d interpreted it more heavily on the against protesting because it wouldn’t achieve anything side from my reading of his posts.

If someone is against protesting because it might not bring the change you want directly - I stand by what I said. If you’re giving up on that then I think you have surrendered the ideology of youth. Stereotypically speaking.

I’d like to think I have posted here long enough that people know when I mean offence. When I call someone a Boomer it’s just lazily referencing the stereotypical mindset associated with the generation. I’m not sure I see the heinous slur here any more than I am hurt when someone says I’m a needy Millenial who wants a participation trophy and eats too much avo toast… I mean I’m going to call them an idiot and disagree with them, but I’m not offended.
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23014
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by Dr Zaius »

Supporters forum? More like bag out the Boomers forum
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 51589
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by The Nickman »

Won’t somebody think of the papabears?
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16807
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:I appreciate your support papa, though I'm not sure that I was triggered. Gangrenous not doing anything to dispell stereotypes about millennials.
Image
User avatar
papabear
Steve Walters
Posts: 7060
Joined: August 27, 2007, 2:26 pm
Location: leafy part of sydney

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by papabear »

The Nickman wrote: May 13, 2024, 8:00 pm Won’t somebody think of the papabears?
:p


Ftr I am < 40

I just want us to hold hands hand over flowers and discuss politics civilly at the unisex club :)
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16807
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by gangrenous »

papabear wrote: Ftr I am < 40
Typical Boomer Image




Image
Post Reply