Sea Eagles 13+
45%

Total votes: 11

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: May 3, 2024, 9:55 pm Actually well highlighted, Brooks was a bit off tonight. He’s been very up and down this season.

He’s a good player when his team is on the front foot, but seems to struggle when his team is under the pump.
He started the year HOT man, like really good
But as the season has gone on, he's kind of reverting back to the LB's of old. He is who is is
He's going to be ok next to DCE though, it's a good spot for him
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Good PC from both coaches . Siebs giving us credit .
Looking at the game, to change the momentum and pretty much hold onto it on the back of a 5 day turn around is more impressive when you think about it.
BJ
Steve Walters

2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by BJ »

When Kris caught the ball in goal with 17 seconds of the match to go, why did the referee call time off a few seconds later?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

20m tap?
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

technically its a 20 meter restart, 7 tackle set.
Somewhat ironically, if he had of taken it over the deadball line, or even grounded it in-goal, it would be a goal line drop out. However, you get 30 seconds to take those, so the clock would have wound out prior to hitting the time limit. Would have been a gutsy play/idea to do that, but potentially a safer play...
(can't see any coach ever suggestion that idea though...)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Safer than just catching it? You're 'avin a bubble mate.
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

yeah, I'm not saying that catching was the wrong call - its always better to have the ball than not. It was more a technical point than anything.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

After beating the Titans I was thinking if we come away from the Broncos, sharks and Manly games with one win before we head into the bye then that is a pass.

Once Fog went down half way through the Broncos game I honestly did not know where our next win would come from, so to get 2 points against Manly in Manly missing everyone is a great effort regardless of how it looked.

Another 2 points next weekend for the bye, then we get Rapana back before the Dogs then hopefully Horse soon after that.

Big difference coming out of the bye on 12 points rather than 8 if we lose to Titans and Manly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

That’s one of if not the most gutsy win of the rocky era!!!
No - fog , rapana, horse, hosking, CHN
Away from home down 20-0 from a 40-0 loss last week !!! That right there is as tough as it gets.
I’m so proud of this playing group and this club right now.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Shiv wrote: May 3, 2024, 8:05 pm actually, here is Annisley - regarding the rule change.

Interesting. That's exactly what happened with Hudson then. Could hear Atkins call surrender
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 4, 2024, 2:51 am
Shiv wrote: May 3, 2024, 8:05 pm actually, here is Annisley - regarding the rule change.

Interesting. That's exactly what happened with Hudson then. Could hear Atkins call surrender
The new rule stinks, but that is now the rule.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Green Taipan wrote: May 3, 2024, 8:12 pm Let's not get carried away. We didn't get the rub of the green from the ref, but Manly were ordinary. Nevertheless a great win away from home!
Great win away from home against a bogey team, especially coming back from 20-0.

But when you analyse the tries, they weren’t from great attack or systems and structures. Weekes and Whitehead scored from Manly errors. Two tries were from kicks. Whitehead scored from a barge over close to the line. I like our second phase play though. The defence in the first half wasn’t that good but the line speed improved in the second half.

Manly kept us in the game through their errors.

Have to laugh at some of the comments that blame it on a young spine or the quality of the players when we lose or are losing and attribute it to great coaching when we win.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

2006 vibes, strong they are.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on May 4, 2024, 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:
Have to laugh at some of the comments that blame it on a young spine or the quality of the players when we lose or are losing and attribute it to great coaching when we win.
Hahahaha yeah, that was 100% my favourite thing about the game too. Certain posters spending the whole first half blaming the players and telling us they’re just not good, then seemingly disappearing for the second half before steaming back in at fulltime to claim a glorious victory for the coach.

It was simply marvelous stuff.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2024, 3:02 am

New rule or not, When was the last time someone was penalised for a voluntary tackle? It would be 10 years ago I reckon, No way Hudson was getting pinged either way imo
President Clinton
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

The Nickman wrote: May 4, 2024, 5:35 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote:
Hahahaha yeah, that was 100% my favourite thing about the game too. Certain posters spending the whole first half blaming the players and telling us they’re just not good, then seemingly disappearing for the second half before steaming back in at fulltime to claim a glorious victory for the coach.

Tell me this was Mike and/or Ultima without telling me it was Mike and/or Ultima.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Just like in round 6 vs the Titans, when the game was on the line it was Strange that made a play to get us home. Stoked we have this kid on the books long term.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue - Ethan Strange

Post by PerthRaider86 »

The Nickman wrote: May 4, 2024, 5:35 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote:

Im happy we won and it came off the young players (Strange, Weekes and Mooney) going out there and just playing their games. Not playing the 4 hit up and Bomb. We tried new things, we let strange kick..... Ricky needs to just let these kids play their style
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Dr Greenthumb wrote:
julian87 wrote: May 3, 2024, 8:24 pm I hate a player call out thread so I’ll just post here.

Albert Dropoate should never ever sniff first grade again unless there is no other option. He’s the worst outside back in the NRL. He sucks at pretty much everything.

If Rapana isn’t right it needs to be anyone but post the bye.

There really isn’t a redeeming feature.
Yeah, I was team Hoppa for a short period when Rapana was making a million errors and we had no backline depth, but it just can’t continue. Shame because he was such a good junior. ESL is calling if he’s lucky.
For its Guler, the dumbest forward in the NRL, a deadset liability who’s stupidity nearly cost us that game with dumb piggy back penalties, like Fensom was, he is a deadset liability to this team

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Dr Greenthumb wrote:
julian87 wrote: May 3, 2024, 8:24 pm I hate a player call out thread so I’ll just post here.

Albert Dropoate should never ever sniff first grade again unless there is no other option. He’s the worst outside back in the NRL. He sucks at pretty much everything.

Yeah, I was team Hoppa for a short period when Rapana was making a million errors and we had no backline depth, but it just can’t continue. Shame because he was such a good junior. ESL is calling if he’s lucky.
For me its Guler, the dumbest forward in the NRL, a deadset liability who’s stupidity nearly cost us that game with dumb piggy back penalties, like Fensom was, he is a deadset liability to this team

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2024, 3:02 am

Unpopular take
I think Annesley is right
That Mexican stand off/crawling **** is worse than just allowing a player to surrender
If you’re giving up a tackle and the defence is then allowed to lay on you longer and set their defensive line, then I think it’s fine to have a surrendered tackle in the game over that stuff
Last edited by Botman on May 4, 2024, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Albert Hopoate should never ever sniff first grade again unless there is no other option. He’s the worst outside back in the NRL. He sucks at pretty much everything.

Is it any surprise he’s another Billy favourite?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 4, 2024, 5:29 am 2006 vibes, strong they are.
Bit of a Michael Hodgson sort of Saturday, you reckon ?
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: May 4, 2024, 9:15 am
:lol:

Just the getting belted a couple of times sandwiched between 1 and 2 point wins.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 4, 2024, 9:21 am

Just the getting belted a couple of times sandwiched between 1 and 2 point wins.
Sounds like last year then!
Travis
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Travis »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 4, 2024, 5:24 am
Green Taipan wrote: May 3, 2024, 8:12 pm Let's not get carried away. We didn't get the rub of the green from the ref, but Manly were ordinary. Nevertheless a great win away from home!
Great win away from home against a bogey team, especially coming back from 20-0.

But when you analyse the tries, they weren’t from great attack or systems and structures. Weekes and Whitehead scored from Manly errors. Two tries were from kicks. Whitehead scored from a barge over close to the line. I like our second phase play though. The defence in the first half wasn’t that good but the line speed improved in the second half.

I'm not sure what people are expecting here. It's already been well-established that our key organising positions are filled currently by two rookie ball-running halves, a fullback with no ball-playing ability and two of the lowest quality hookers in the NRL (needless to say, with minimal ball-playing ability). They can't be expected to direct a team in NRL conditions (ie. against the speed and quality of defensive lines) with the structure of more experienced ball-playing halves. The coach has addressed this in multiple media appearances, and it's a result of the current team-building phase of integrating rookies into the spine combined with the injuries to our first-choice ball-playing half and experienced transition-phase, stop-gap fullback.

The second common criticism is of the tenure of the coach, the various phases of squad building he has been afforded by the organisation, the quality of that squad building and the implementation of structures to suit the squad building (ie. our quality of play). People are fully entitled to their opinions on this, but they also need to realise that the reality is that he is the coach and has been afforded the next 4-5 years to oversee this new phase of squad building.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 4, 2024, 9:21 am

And much like 2006, we’ve got a couple of young starlets to cling our hopes to
I’m gonna look up Troy Thompson highlights to get into the vibe good and proper
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Travis wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 4, 2024, 5:24 am

I'm not sure what people are expecting here. It's already been well-established that our key organising positions are filled currently by two rookie ball-running halves, a fullback with no ball-playing ability and two of the lowest quality hookers in the NRL (needless to say, with minimal ball-playing ability). They can't be expected to direct a team in NRL conditions (ie. against the speed and quality of defensive lines) with the structure of more experienced ball-playing halves. The coach has addressed this in multiple media appearances, and it's a result of the current team-building phase of integrating rookies into the spine combined with the injuries to our first-choice ball-playing half and experienced transition-phase, stop-gap fullback.

The second common criticism is of the tenure of the coach, the various phases of squad building he has been afforded by the organisation, the quality of that squad building and the implementation of structures to suit the squad building (ie. our quality of play). People are fully entitled to their opinions on this, but they also need to realise that the reality is that he is the coach and has been afforded the next 4-5 years to oversee this new phase of squad building.
Except that we have looked like that for the best part of two decades, not just this week or even this year.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Lucky DCE got that down grade eh ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Shiv wrote: May 3, 2024, 8:09 pm Rule change, not a penalty. (as an aside, it bugs me when the commentators, commentate based on rules that have long since been changed from back in their day)(not that they did in this game)
Haha agreed. The last voluntary tackle penalty I actually remember was against Jason Hetherington for the Bulldogs around 1999. The commentators still call for voluntary tackle penalties today even though they haven’t been awarded for a quarter of a century.

The other one that annoys me is when a win against the feed happens in scrum and the commentators claim they haven’t seen it happen for about 10 years. They must have short memories because it happens a few times every year.

My biggest bug bear is how surprised the commentators are when the ref goes to Bunker and says he has “no try”. They changed the rule a few years ago that the ref can only go to the Bunker if he has no try. If he thinks it’s a try he just awards it, and the Bunker can overturn it afterwards if there’s an issue.

The commentators are always surprised and are like “Oh what? The ref says he has no try!” in amazement.

Hey knuckleheads, he wouldn’t be referring it to the Bunker if he thought it was a try, so stop being so surprised when he says “no try”. It’s the only thing he can say!
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 4, 2024, 10:03 amExcept that we have looked like that for the best part of two decades, not just this week or even this year.
That is correct, but in the Game Day thread (and really, in the context of this season) it's mostly irrelevant.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Travis wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 4, 2024, 10:03 amExcept that we have looked like that for the best part of two decades, not just this week or even this year.
That is correct, but in the Game Day thread (and really, in the context of this season) it's mostly irrelevant.
Is it though?
Bulldog
Ken Nagas

Post by Bulldog »

Riaan wrote: May 3, 2024, 9:21 pm Elliot Whitehead ladies and gentleman......what a game.
Yes. Wholeheartedly agree. What a game he had! Well done EW!
Bulldog
Ken Nagas

Post by Bulldog »

NoMan wrote: May 3, 2024, 9:04 pm
julian87 wrote: May 3, 2024, 9:00 pm The Papalii take is ridiculous.
Yep, he didn't even get on until it was 20-0! I thought it was obvious trolling.
Papalii was very solid when he got on. He's probably carrying a niggling injury.

I re-watched the game on Kayo this morning. I think Savage is developing well. I wasn't a big fan when he was first touted to be the second coming a year or so ago. Now I like him as a player. I don't think Levi was all that bad. He's passionate and did some good things. Starling was actually pretty good when he came on - he opened the game up and he dug deep. It was a great game to watch.
Last edited by Bulldog on May 4, 2024, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

I'm watching the second half now because I went out last night. Good performance tbh

But tapine breaking from the scrum the literal second he was able to and putting pressure on the passer was such a huge play at the end