Sharks 13+
39%

Total votes: 18

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Re: 2024 Round 8 v Sharks: Teams and Previews

Post by Neeeegz »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 21, 2024, 3:07 pm Hoppa (and Kris playing FB in 2023) at FB just reeks of short termism. I want to see Chevy develop his game in FG to when Rapana comes back in the side. Hoppa’s not going to win us a premiership at FB. We need to see what Chevy has got.

Proud that he stood up in the second half.
I think hoppa to fullback was to get him match fit, and focused, he won't play fg at fullback surely
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

Can't see Ricky saying patience etc in the Presser and the dropping Chevy for a 3rd (4th?) string FB. He'll have Chevy right back on the horse.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Dimes wrote: April 21, 2024, 5:47 pm Does anyone have any idea what Woolford has done wrong to be punted from the FG side?

I thought last year our attack was much better with him on the field. I attributed (right or wrong) the 2nd half fades last year to when Papa, Taps were off yes but also Woolford off and Starling on.
Now is the time to bring in woolford to start, Levi to 14 and starling left right out. Needs to go to cup and dominate. Like Guler, except guler has been crap in cup footy
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Pretty keen to see Hoppa come in for Schiller. Other than that, the team should stay the same. Trey performed really well I thought. Glad to hear Kaeo is coming into the halves.

It's a shame our halves and edge forward depth is being tested do early. The areas where we have least coverage. Very unlucky. This CHN situation needs to be resolved asap as his spot needs to be filled.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote:Pretty keen to see Hoppa come in for Schiller. Other than that, the team should stay the same. Trey performed really well I thought. Glad to hear Kaeo is coming into the halves.

It's a shame our halves and edge forward depth is being tested do early. The areas where we have least coverage. Very unlucky. This CHN situation needs to be resolved asap as his spot needs to be filled.
Why are you pretty keen to see that? I can’t see how anyone who is a rational fan is advocating for that switch.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: April 22, 2024, 6:42 am
Bluesbrother wrote:Pretty keen to see Hoppa come in for Schiller. Other than that, the team should stay the same. Trey performed really well I thought. Glad to hear Kaeo is coming into the halves.

Why are you pretty keen to see that? I can’t see how anyone who is a rational fan is advocating for that switch.
There is a strong likelihood that Hoppa will come in for Schiller and I don’t think it is a bad call. This behaviour of attacking the poster when you don’t like the opinion needs to stop. Agree, disagree - but when your criticism moves from the issue to the person presenting it, is poor form and bullying like behaviour.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Hoppa was poor in NSW cup. Cotric was even poorer and Asomua had a shocker. So if Ricky is consistent on cup performances mattering none of them should be getting selected.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I do not understand the calls for Hoppa

He really doesn't offer anything other than metres out of our end, which isn't any better than anyone else.
His attack is pedestrian , zero pace. He can not beat his man.
It's a myth that his defence is good too.
We really need to go in a different direction
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Do we know what injury Woolford picked up yesterday? I know it is cup, but he provides so much more direction to the other players telling them exactly where to run and stand. Especially to Chevy. Interesting that he went to the halves with 30mins to go. I wonder if that is a back up plan for FG or to give Trev more time on the paddock.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Billy Walker wrote: April 22, 2024, 7:34 am

There is a strong likelihood that Hoppa will come in for Schiller and I don’t think it is a bad call. This behaviour of attacking the poster when you don’t like the opinion needs to stop. Agree, disagree - but when your criticism moves from the issue to the person presenting it, is poor form and bullying like behaviour.
I think he has you on block, BW.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Hoppa makes some sense if they are trying to replicate the first few rounds. That's pretty difficult with the other forced changes though. It would probably resemble last year instead.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

kona_dream wrote: April 22, 2024, 8:17 am Do we know what injury Woolford picked up yesterday? I know it is cup, but he provides so much more direction to the other players telling them exactly where to run and stand. Especially to Chevy. Interesting that he went to the halves with 30mins to go. I wonder if that is a back up plan for FG or to give Trev more time on the paddock.
Did he pick up an injury? I didn't notice it, I thought they may of just subbed him because he was running out of gas. I think they just wanted to give Trev more game time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:

Hahaha, I sure do, dubs… I sure do.

Also, great to see he supports the selection of Hoppa over Schiller too, basically strengthens my original comment about a thousand percent.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

I just like what Hoppa brings. Tough out of the backfield which I think we need now with Chevy at the back.

Schiller hasn't impressed me at all and now he has signed with the Knights I don't see what's gained by having him in the team.

Hoppa makes very few errors with the ball and his defence is certainly no worse than Schiller. Hoppa is a safe and solid player I think we need to steady the ship at the moment. He is good for 150+ metres a game and a lot of post contact. We've got a lot of movement in key positions and I think Hoppa is one less player I'm worried about. Schiller is a flighty player, who is no better than Hoppa, who isn't in our plans moving forward.

I personally, don't see what the benefit of Schiller playing NRL is right now. Aside from giving him an opportunity to develop at NRL level.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: April 22, 2024, 8:44 am
dubby wrote:

Hahaha, I sure do, dubs… I sure do.

Also, great to see he supports the selection of Hoppa over Schiller too, basically strengthens my original comment about a thousand percent.
Notice Billy only feigns to take the moral high ground when it relates to a player he loves (Hoppa/Levi). If Bluesbrother was advocating for a player he doesn't like to come back (Woolford/Cotric/Croker), he'd be blowing up.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Bloody_Burnham
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

NoMan wrote: April 22, 2024, 7:51 am Hoppa was poor in NSW cup. Cotric was even poorer and Asomua had a shocker. So if Ricky is consistent on cup performances mattering none of them should be getting selected.
I think Soulsy is right. Based upon what I've observed in cup, we don't have anyone on the same talent level to replace Schiller. We may need to go to market to find another winger next season.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 22, 2024, 10:00 am

I just like what Hoppa brings. Tough out of the backfield which I think we need now with Chevy at the back.

Schiller hasn't impressed me at all and now he has signed with the Knights I don't see what's gained by having him in the team.

Hoppa makes very few errors with the ball and his defence is certainly no worse than Schiller. Hoppa is a safe and solid player I think we need to steady the ship at the moment. He is good for 150+ metres a game and a lot of post contact. We've got a lot of movement in key positions and I think Hoppa is one less player I'm worried about. Schiller is a flighty player, who is no better than Hoppa, who isn't in our plans moving forward.

I personally, don't see what the benefit of Schiller playing NRL is right now. Aside from giving him an opportunity to develop at NRL level.
I genuinely don't think he brings any upside over Schiller, even the suggestion that he's safer, is a better defender or that he makes difficult carries that nobody else can seems like a bit of a myth to me.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bloody_Burnham wrote: April 22, 2024, 10:19 am
NoMan wrote: April 22, 2024, 7:51 am Hoppa was poor in NSW cup. Cotric was even poorer and Asomua had a shocker. So if Ricky is consistent on cup performances mattering none of them should be getting selected.
I think Soulsy is right. Based upon what I've observed in cup, we don't have anyone on the same talent level to replace Schiller. We may need to go to market to find another winger next season.
I would caution against small sample sizes on that
Not sure Asomua has played his best footy the last few weeks (haven’t seen it myself, just basing that on comments) but that bloke is every bit as talented as Schiller and more imo

I do think we need to bring in a winger/outside back just for roster churn, Schiller is leaving and I’d like to turn over both Cotric and Hoppa in the next 2 years but I don’t think we need to shop expensive. Think we can approach it how we did Weekes this year… get a guy who can compete and push and trust the young bloke beats him for the job
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: April 22, 2024, 10:33 am
Not sure Asomua has played his best footy the last few weeks (haven’t seen it myself, just basing that on comments) but that bloke is every bit as talented as Schiller and more imo

I do think we need to bring in a winger/outside back just for roster churn, Schiller is leaving and I’d like to turn over both Cotric and Hoppa in the next 2 years but I don’t think we need to shop expensive. Think we can approach it how we did Weekes this year… get a guy who can compete and push and trust the young bloke beats him for the job
I reckon Feagai whilst stuck in reserve grade and off contract is that player tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah good shout, I think that’s the sort of name and player we should look at
If Asomua can’t win the job because he’s not quite there, Feagai can fill in and has some high upside but you don’t feel obligated to play him if the kid steps up

He’s not a road block if Asomua is good enough
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yep. Exactly the way we got Schiller and Hoppa here- unwanted but talented (Schiller) and a pretty solid backup guy (Hoppa). Same way we got Rapa + Oldfield (same talented vs solid backup guy ratio). They were all low dollar buys from the winger discard pile.

If we spend money it's at edge or hooker (because Ricky hates our best one).
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

The Nickman wrote: April 22, 2024, 10:27 am

I genuinely don't think he brings any upside over Schiller, even the suggestion that he's safer, is a better defender or that he makes difficult carries that nobody else can seems like a bit of a myth to me.
Fair call - I see it differently.

I think the fact is these 2 players there is an argument to be made either way. The fact Schiller is leaving raises the question why would we continue to do him a favour and play him at NRL when he is on level pegging with another player who is here for longer.

What makes Schiller's case so strong in your opinion?
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

julian87 wrote: April 22, 2024, 10:52 am

I reckon Feagai whilst stuck in reserve grade and off contract is that player tbh.
How is he going this season in cup, are you aware? The two brothers were highly rated youngsters from memory.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:18 pm

I think the fact is these 2 players there is an argument to be made either way. The fact Schiller is leaving raises the question why would we continue to do him a favour and play him at NRL when he is on level pegging with another player who is here for longer.

X-factor in attack, and speed. When he's around the ball, you just get the feeling things are going to happen.

His defence can be suss at times, but so is Hopoate's, he's certainly no upgrade.

I do concede the fact about him leaving though, be happy for Asamoa or somebody else who's staying to get a shot, just not Hoppa, and probably not Crotic.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

be nice to have some height or size on a wing, Chevy and Sav bring the speed but I worry with Asomua we'd be quite height challenged

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

So is To’o, Edwards and Turvua
There is an obvious element of height to be considered in arial contests but I think strong bodies and good timing is more important
From what ive seen Asomua is pretty strong in contested contests
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:So is To’o, Edwards and Turvua
There is an obvious element of height to be considered in arial contests but I think strong bodies and good timing is more important
From what ive seen Asomua is pretty strong in contested contests
true, but all 3 at Penrith are strong and not rookies

Edrick The Entertainer
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

bonehead wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:52 pm be nice to have some height or size on a wing, Chevy and Sav bring the speed but I worry with Asomua we'd be quite height challenged

Chevy brings speed? Not sure about that yet. Seems to be "fast enough" like a Dugan or Karmichael Hunt. Nowhere near Savage
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Canberra Milk wrote:
bonehead wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:52 pm be nice to have some height or size on a wing, Chevy and Sav bring the speed but I worry with Asomua we'd be quite height challenged

Chevy brings speed? Not sure about that yet. Seems to be "fast enough" like a Dugan or Karmichael Hunt. Nowhere near Savage
in nsw cup he loomed up in support of savage a few times, in the golden point Strange bust he flashed through, he's ex Roger Fabri sprint school so pretty sure you'll see it in time

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:21 pm

How is he going this season in cup, are you aware? The two brothers were highly rated youngsters from memory.
No idea at all. Just based on potential and the good stuff he’s done in first grade at a young age.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

The Nickman wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:41 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:18 pm

X-factor in attack, and speed. When he's around the ball, you just get the feeling things are going to happen.

His defence can be suss at times, but so is Hopoate's, he's certainly no upgrade.

I do concede the fact about him leaving though, be happy for Asamoa or somebody else who's staying to get a shot, just not Hoppa, and probably not Crotic.
I guess we will see mate. I don't think it will move the needle too much either way. This week is going to be tough for whoever is on the wing. Mulitalo is probably form winger of the competition alongside Lomax.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

julian87 wrote: April 22, 2024, 4:21 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:21 pm

No idea at all. Just based on potential and the good stuff he’s done in first grade at a young age.
👍
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

I feel an upset on the cards. Down and out against the competition leader at home. This is the game that Ricky riles them up for.

And tbh, I’m not convinced of the sharks.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

Regs Revolution wrote: April 22, 2024, 7:46 pm I feel an upset on the cards. Down and out against the competition leader at home. This is the game that Ricky riles them up for.

And tbh, I’m not convinced of the sharks.
I think we are a good chance. Sharks middles are average. Last week they played another team with soft middle defence. We can take advantage of that.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

We are running with 2 5/8s this weekend. Both are running 5/8s as well.
It's a huge risk. Sharks are playing alright , their pack on paper doesn't look great they are playing well though , running hard. They beat us through the middle not long ago.

Not sure how our halves will go , it's not as if we have a creative hooker to help.