Titans 13+
14%

Total votes: 14

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: 2024 Round 6 v Titans: Game Day

Post by Wiki Special »

Ricky was right in the presser, the Titans were blatantly slowing down the ruck. It was cynical and how they didn't get one player sent to the bin astounds me. Realistically should have been 10+ more 6 agains.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

**** me how can Hasler whinge about that at all

They were lucky to get off as lightly as they did with laying in the ruck all night

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:01 pm It might not have been obvious watching on TV, but it was absolutely dreadful how the Titans stood offside all night and niggled in the ruck. Des Hasler does it every time he comes to Canberra Stadium. How the Titans didn't get a player sin binned for repeat infringements is completely beyond me.

Hasler comes on in the press conference complaining about the refereeing, too many set restarts and saying the Stewart charge down was offside... saying the referee was poor. She was poor only to the extent she wasn't harsher on the Titans. I'm glad Ricky Stuart said in the presser that Des is on another planet, when informed of what Hasler had said.
It's his go to plan with the Raiders. Did it with Manly all the time.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

afgtnk wrote: April 14, 2024, 8:28 pm Joe Tapine

26 runs
303 metres
134 post contact metres
33 tackles
What an absolute beast
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Azza wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:04 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:01 pm It might not have been obvious watching on TV, but it was absolutely dreadful how the Titans stood offside all night and niggled in the ruck. Des Hasler does it every time he comes to Canberra Stadium. How the Titans didn't get a player sin binned for repeat infringements is completely beyond me.

Hasler comes on in the press conference complaining about the refereeing, too many set restarts and saying the Stewart charge down was offside... saying the referee was poor. She was poor only to the extent she wasn't harsher on the Titans. I'm glad Ricky Stuart said in the presser that Des is on another planet, when informed of what Hasler had said.
Do you blame him? It’s worked and it nearly worked again
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lots of unwarranted negativity about our play IMO.

I thought Stewart was good. He was sniffing around the ruck early. The coach kept his role simple. I thought he was good under the high ball until late in the game and his kick returns were aggressive. He is also well positioned in defence.

The performance of the Titans in this game has been underrated. They didn't do much wrong... completed at 82%, defended the high ball remarkably well, got numbers in tackles and were rock solid in defence on their line (mainly by manipulating the ruck).

That's the type of game you love to win as a squad. It was tough.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Seiffert82 wrote:I like Badger, but she was far from blameless in that game. Missed the shoulder to Hosking's head, which ended up with Jolliffe on report. Timoko (from memory) with a perfectly good offload that was called back for him to play the ball, and the ruck was out of control in the second half.

We earned the right for quick playe the balls which were never given. The Titans were lucky to not have a player or two in the bin.

I’ve said this all along, I don’t rate her as an on field ref but she is pretty good in the bunker. Tonight confirmed this.

She completely lost control of the ruck and was affected by the Titans appealing. Go back and look at the titans first try, Hass literally walked 5m off the mark well after the held call and I think it was Hudson holding a hand out to stop him and she blows a 6 again for them as we had already had a few.

That’s just one example but I am with Stick on this one, go back and watch the game and I bet there is at least another 20 set restarts she should have called for us.

Someone really should have went to the bin especially since she warned the titans at half time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:05 pm

26 runs
303 metres
134 post contact metres
33 tackles
What an absolute beast
Truly amazing. Well done.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Rick wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:13 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:I like Badger, but she was far from blameless in that game. Missed the shoulder to Hosking's head, which ended up with Jolliffe on report. Timoko (from memory) with a perfectly good offload that was called back for him to play the ball, and the ruck was out of control in the second half.

We earned the right for quick playe the balls which were never given. The Titans were lucky to not have a player or two in the bin.

I’ve said this all along, I don’t rate her as an on field ref but she is pretty good in the bunker. Tonight confirmed this.

She completely lost control of the ruck and was affected by the Titans appealing. Go back and look at the titans first try, Hass literally walked 5m off the mark well after the held call and I think it was Hudson holding a hand out to stop him and she blows a 6 again for them as we had already had a few.

That’s just one example but I am with Stick on this one, go back and watch the game and I bet there is at least another 20 set restarts she should have called for us.

Someone really should have went to the bin especially since she warned the titans at half time.

Nah. She was brilliant, apparently. :P
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The Nickman wrote: April 14, 2024, 8:32 pm
Green Machine wrote:If we ever have a game officiated by Badger, hold down all day, have your hands all over the ball and know she will never make a call on the fly. So take the tackle before the bunker can fix her mistake.
Except for, y’know, all the restarts and penalties she blew and the fact she got the majority of her calls spot on

You blokes, seriously
She honestly had a very good game. Several hard calls spot on. Barely noticed most of the game= doing it right.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Raiders_Pat wrote:

26 runs
303 metres
134 post contact metres
33 tackles
What an absolute beast
Woah!

Also before I forget, pissed at Hudson and others for our last set in regulation time.

There was 2.5 minutes to go Hudson picks up the ball holds it in 2 hands, walks a couple of steps and surrendered. This completely put us on the back foot, made it easy work for the titans, gave the titans a huge rest and allowed them to put pressure on Fog to produce a crap kick.

2 minutes with a 6 lead is a bloody long time. Defend by attacking! Tire the pricks out and put some pressure on them.

benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:09 pm Lots of unwarranted negativity about our play IMO.

I thought Stewart was good. He was sniffing around the ruck early. The coach kept his role simple. I thought he was good under the high ball until late in the game and his kick returns were aggressive. He is also well positioned in defence.

The performance of the Titans in this game has been underrated. They didn't do much wrong... completed at 82%, defended the high ball remarkably well, got numbers in tackles and were rock solid in defence on their line (mainly by manipulating the ruck).

I think Titans played really well too. Certainly not like a side coming last in the comp. Realistically they deserved to win tonight.

Our attack is still problematic, we could have run away with that and got lucky with the Schiller try.

Im pleased with the youth coming through - we got an exciting future. There will be lots of ups and downs.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

kiwi raider wrote: April 14, 2024, 8:39 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 14, 2024, 8:29 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Last week were were awesome spreading the ball and creating space for our outside backs. This week we continually turned it back inside and didn't get any decent ball to our wingers. We all know HSS can get lost in defense at centre. Can't remember really testing him at any stage.
I actually think we really missed Rapana in those backline plays this week

Hopefully Chevy will start to chime in there once he gets a bit more comfortable in A grade, he had a solid game in defence
Yea Chevy was great on debut couldn't ask for much more but Rapanas our best ball player and we sure could have done with one of those tonight, Tapine best on ground, Savage really good too.
Savage came in and "did the Rapana" for a lot of tough carries and half breaks from dummy half sensing a quick ptb.

Also loved that he came right infield in the last 2 minutes to take that last bomb himself instead of leaving Chevy isolated- smart play and a senior player play.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Chevy looked offside with his charge down so we got lucky on that call. That said Titans had to have someone in the bin for repeated infringements so were fortunate in that aspect.

Amazing run from Strange to get us in field position at the death for Fog’s field goal. 😊
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

dubby wrote:
Rick wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:13 pm

Nah. She was brilliant, apparently. :P
Stuart absolutely nailed it in the presser.

Hasler complaining about the refereeing will do me. The Titans did everything possible to slow that game down and destroy any momentum we should have had. It was blatant.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:Lots of unwarranted negativity about our play IMO.

Completely agree. This is a much better win than blowing the doors off parra last week. We grinded it out, they played very well and were very desperate for the win, they came back against the odds. Then we won and we deserved to win. The team will take a lot out of this.

Great debut from Stewart. Solid as a rock. Expect him to chime in more in the next few weeks. Hudson-Young improving every week. Strange... awesome. Savage grows with confidence and while Fogarty is a very limited player what he does well he does very well.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote:Chevy looked offside with his charge down so we got lucky on that call. That said Titans had to have someone in the bin for repeated infringements so were fortunate in that aspect.

Amazing run from Strange to get us in field position at the death for Fog’s field goal. Image
How was he offside? He was 10 metres back with the rest of the team. He was perfectly positioned.

Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Post by Regs Revolution »

Billy Walker wrote: April 14, 2024, 8:39 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 14, 2024, 8:35 pm
Colk wrote: April 14, 2024, 8:31 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 14, 2024, 8:29 pm Winning ugly. Into the top 4 with plenty to work on. Next week is going to be a big test for us. We will need to be 10 times what we were tonight. I expect us to be.
There is winning ugly and then there’s that.
2 points Colk. All you do is whinge. 2 plays there from an 18 year old and a 19 year old - spine players that won us the game. We were poor in a lot of areas but we won and we move on and address it.

You're a naysayer no matter what happens. Look at the ladder, look at our growth and cop your medicine. Stop the dribble and look at the reality big boy.
Well said
Agree, well said. The negativity from Colk and Rickmando is appalling.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

benda wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:09 pm Lots of unwarranted negativity about our play IMO.

I think Titans played really well too. Certainly not like a side coming last in the comp. Realistically they deserved to win tonight.

Our attack is still problematic, we could have run away with that and got lucky with the Schiller try.

Im pleased with the youth coming through - we got an exciting future. There will be lots of ups and downs.
Yeah, to get away with that win with such a baby squad was impressive.

I'm not going to bang on about a few issues with some players I've had for some time...but rather just enjoy the fact we overcame a very negative game plan from the Titans and most of our young fellas had a terrific game.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

59% possession, 87% completion rates
We outgained them by 500+ metres and they scored with 20 seconds left, kicked it from the sideline to force golden point, which we only won in the final 30 seconds of GP

Boy I’m glad to have missed that one! I’d have been apoplectic watching that
12/13! We keep rollin…

Sounds like Chevy had a very good debut!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Man the Titans defended their arses off in the first half. We could have easily been up by 24. We get them last week and I think a similar score to what we put on the Eels would have been on the cards.
We really went away from the plan in the second half. Far too wide too early and just allowed the Titans to slide.
Looking forward to Chevy being more involved in the attack as he warms to the task. My main concern there would be his physicality and fitness. He looks to have handled it fine and it will only get easier for him.

Nice to see HSS healthy and playing better too.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

gerg wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:25 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:Lots of unwarranted negativity about our play IMO.

Completely agree. This is a much better win than blowing the doors off parra last week. We grinded it out, they played very well and were very desperate for the win, they came back against the odds. Then we won and we deserved to win. The team will take a lot out of this.

Great debut from Stewart. Solid as a rock. Expect him to chime in more in the next few weeks. Hudson-Young improving every week. Strange... awesome. Savage grows with confidence and while Fogarty is a very limited player what he does well he does very well.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I agree with you both.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Regs Revolution wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:31 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 14, 2024, 8:29 pm Winning ugly. Into the top 4 with plenty to work on. Next week is going to be a big test for us. We will need to be 10 times what we were tonight. I expect us to be.
2 points Colk. All you do is whinge. 2 plays there from an 18 year old and a 19 year old - spine players that won us the game. We were poor in a lot of areas but we won and we move on and address it.

You're a naysayer no matter what happens. Look at the ladder, look at our growth and cop your medicine. Stop the dribble and look at the reality big boy.
Well said
Look on the bright side mate we are more likely than not to absolutely get pounded by the Broncos next week so if we don’t then I’ll be happy as the proverbial Larry
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Colk wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:06 pm

Wow. You make me and GE look like absolute rays of sunshine.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:34 pm 59% possession, 87% completion rates
We outgained them by 500+ metres and they scored with 20 seconds left, kicked it from the sideline to force golden point, which we only won in the final 30 seconds of GP

12/13! We keep rollin…

Despite the story the stats tell it was a very professional controlled performance. Titans were good and played to a good plan that nearly came off. We needed to be patient and get a lot right to win that game. It’s worth a watch if you find a replay.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

My takes on the game:

That was a very good win. This was always going to be a very challenging game mentally. Massive win over Parra, losing Rapana and having a very young inexperienced back line. The game was never going to be a light it up style game. It was always going to be a conservative game as if we had gone to play expansive footy and it didn’t come off, confidence would have been down and we would have lost our way.

Very very slow ruck. Purposely slowed down by them which made it difficult to attack. People carrying on saying it was embarrassing and we looked ordinary need to understand that we are 2nd in attack this year. It was a little clunky at times tonight but overall, I think it was a very solid win and 2 points. Yes, we made it hard for ourselves with some of our decisions.

The slow play the balls winding down the clock in the final minutes is the worst strategy in my opinion. You need to go all out at that point and fight for every meter. We put ourselves in a poor position trying to waste time which resulted in a shank from Fogarty and they score the next set.

The titans played very good. AJ at 6 completed changed the way they attack and they’re actually a quality side. That was a good performance by them and they came to play. They will go a lot better than they have started.

Stewart’s debut was very very good. Give him time to be a ball player and chime in with backline moves. The game plan was always going to be a simple one for him tonight.

Tapine. Just wow. What an amazing effort. Over 300m for a prop. His carries tonight were spectacular. What a beast!

Savage and Timoko were again spectacular. If you had asked me after the game how Timoko played, I would have said he was quite. I look at his stats, 21 runs and 216m. He just makes it look easy.

Saulo again was outstanding. He is really becoming an underrated prop.

Strange, what a run!

I’ll take that win all day every day and knew it was going to be a tough tight game. Well done team.
Last edited by Regs Revolution on April 14, 2024, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:42 pm

12/13! We keep rollin…

Despite the story the stats tell it was a very professional controlled performance. Titans were good and played to a good plan that nearly came off. We needed to be patient and get a lot right to win that game. It’s worth a watch if you find a replay.
It’ll have to wait until I’m back
But it’ll be a priority when I do
Really want to watch Chevy’s debut
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:44 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:42 pm

12/13! We keep rollin…

It’ll have to wait until I’m back
But it’ll be a priority when I do
Really want to watch Chevy’s debut
He didn’t do anything outstanding, but he did the little things well. Generally safe under kicks. Let one bounce and spilled one I recall. His positioning was great. He was fearless running it back and the kid has confidence. Tried a tap on early in the game, made a big play with a charge down. Was good in defence. I’d be happy to see him stay there all season.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Colk wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:38 pm

Well said
Look on the bright side mate we are more likely than not to absolutely get pounded by the Broncos next week so if we don’t then I’ll be happy as the proverbial Larry
Let me tell ya, I’m more confident going into next weeks game then I was going up against the Titans. Broncos haven’t been setting the world on fire and this is the game we turn up for.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Regs Revolution wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:50 pm
Colk wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:38 pm

Well said
Let me tell ya, I’m more confident going into next weeks game then I was going up against the Titans. Broncos haven’t been setting the world on fire and this is the game we turn up for.
There is a chance that the Broncos do take us lightly. That’s our chance to be fair.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Azza wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:41 pm
Colk wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:06 pm

Wow. You make me and GE look like absolute rays of sunshine.
Haha. I’m not saying I’m a fan of it at all and it is cynical as all hell but if it’s worked in the past he would be foolish not to try it again
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I only watched bits and pieces. Seems like Chevy was more safe and solid and committed rather than electric, unlike Savage's debut

I remember Dugan's attack started slowly in first grade too. Although this is only one game so not slow yet

He doesn't look all that fast to me, looks fastish but not burning the field. I'm looking forward more to his link and support play
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

While not a pretty win , it showed us how to fight and scrap for a win.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Have a look at Savages stats compared to Tomoko. These 2 seem to be pushing each other.

Both had 21 runs.
Tomoko had 216m to Savages 205
Savage had 86 post contact to Tomoko’s 82
Tomoko 3 tackle breaks to Savages 2
Both zero missed tackles.

Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Savage was very very good. Had a great game. I am a little critical of his slow play the balls sometimes. He’s always looking for that penalty or trying to chat to the ref whilst he’s playing the ball. He needs to just focus that little bit more and he could be a special winger.