'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says Trey Mooney will get his crack

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says that there would have been more changes to his team this week, if the NSW Cup team had not performed poorly last weekend. Many Raiders fans have been wondering what else prop Trey Mooney needs to do to be promoted. Stuart says consistency of performance is the key.

"With Trey, he's a great young player and he's going to get his crack, and when he gets his crack it's his job to keep his spot. But he's got a little bit of seniority above him at the moment. His pathway and development has been to the tee. He's ready to step up and as soon as there's an opportunity for him I'm sure he's going to be hard to put out."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Stuart: There would have been more changes made if second grade had have been better: https://canberradaily.com.au/stuart-sti ... els-clash/
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: 'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

Post by Finchy »

"With Trey, he's a great young player and he's going to get his crack, and when he gets his crack it's his job to keep his spot. But he's got a little bit of seniority above him at the moment. His pathway and development has been to the tee. He's ready to step up and as soon as there's an opportunity for him I'm sure he's going to be hard to put out."
I'd understand if the likes of Guler and Saulo are killing it, but they're not. They should make room for him.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Just confirms seniority not form is how Stick operates.

It’s why EW is starting every week.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m not sure why Ricky Stuart is saying the NSW Cup team were individually, across the board, poor.

Mooney missed four tackles against the Jets, and that produced a tackle efficiency rate of 88 per cent, but that was the only blemish. Only one of the misses could have been considered close to a try cause (the first Jets try)… but I’d say Spencer and Guler were the main players responsible.

Other than that he scored a try, made 156 metres from 14 runs, 46 metres post contact, two line breaks, five tackle breaks, 2.81 seconds play the ball speed, one offload, 36 tackles, no errors, no penalties.
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

-PJ- wrote: April 6, 2024, 6:06 pm Just confirms seniority not form is how Stick operates.

It doesn’t really confirm anything. This tactic doesn’t explain why Schiller is in the team over Cotric. Is this selection based on form, rather than seniority?

If so, why does Starling hold his position? And how does Saulo keep Mooney out? Baffling.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

I'd understand if the likes of Guler and Saulo are killing it, but they're not. They should make room for him.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

President Clinton wrote:
-PJ- wrote: April 6, 2024, 6:06 pm Just confirms seniority not form is how Stick operates.

It doesn’t really confirm anything. This tactic doesn’t explain why Schiller is in the team over Cotric. Is this selection based on form, rather than seniority?

If so, why does Starling hold his position? And how does Saulo keep Mooney out? Baffling.
It’s pretty clear that seniority buys you a lot of leeway.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

But Trey is a middle
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: April 6, 2024, 7:04 pm

But Trey is a middle
You get my point dubs..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

President Clinton wrote: April 6, 2024, 6:54 pm

Cotric has been phoning it in. That change needed to be made and I would have been happy with Asomua.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

greeneyed wrote: April 4, 2024, 7:31 pm If we wanted to keep him 1,000,000 per cent, why is he off contract? Why wasn’t he signed up before he was off contract.

We saw Trey’s dad coming on The GH Facebook page in last week or so… and basically he doesn’t know what else Trey has to do to get a run in firsts. Which suggests Trey doesn’t know either. Seems to a communication breakdown. Communication breakdown.
This is a concern. I wrote in another post that I hope the coaching staff have been transparent in their feedback and sat Mooney down and told him what else he needs to do to make FG.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

He needs to have played consistently in first grade before to make first grade.
Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Yeah it's a BS comment from Ricky. Most coaches go by "when you're good enough, you're old enough". Ricky seems to have flipped those adjectives in his head and thinks that age is an acceptable metric. Trey is 21, he's not a child. He's been good enough for over a year and has continued to wait and continued to perform whilst 2 guys in firsts plod along making their 8 runs for 65m a game. It's become a bit of bad joke - both the Raiders tendency to fade as soon as the bench middles come on and Trey's continued relegation to NSW Cup.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

They aren't 1,000,001 percent on keeping Trey though. 1,000,001 percent and I'm satisfied.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I'm not getting why seniority has to run all the way to the bench. We've already got huge seniority in Tapine/Paps. And Saulo/Guler are really more journeymen than proper seniors

I thought Saulo presented really well when presenting Sasagi with his jersey. Maybe Stick likes his attitude and mentality, which I suspect he does with Levi too

When we're winning games it's like ok the seniority strategy is paying off, when we're losing games it's an easy target for criticism. Either way it shouldn't extend to Mooney, he should be playing
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 7, 2024, 3:36 pm I'm not getting why seniority has to run all the way to the bench. We've already got huge seniority in Tapine/Paps. And Saulo/Guler are really more journeymen than proper seniors

I thought Saulo presented really well when presenting Sasagi with his jersey. Maybe Stick likes his attitude and mentality, which I suspect he does with Levi too

When we're winning games it's like ok the seniority strategy is paying off, when we're losing games it's an easy target for criticism. Either way it shouldn't extend to Mooney, he should be playing
I hate to re-open the “journeyman” definition debate again, but hasn’t Guler only played first grade for us?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Finchy wrote: April 7, 2024, 5:25 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: April 7, 2024, 3:36 pm I'm not getting why seniority has to run all the way to the bench. We've already got huge seniority in Tapine/Paps. And Saulo/Guler are really more journeymen than proper seniors

I hate to re-open the “journeyman” definition debate again, but hasn’t Guler only played first grade for us?
Yeah, CM has completely butchered the use of the term ‘journeymen’.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

:cry:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Trey Mooney's chance to cement NRL spot

The Raiders have offered Trey Mooney an extension until at least the end of 2027 - and potentially longer. But Mooney wants to see where he is in the Raiders pecking order before committing to a long-term stay in the capital.

"We want him at the club. We want Trey. We have made it very, very clear that we want Trey to be a Raider and we've offered him a very good deal," Ricky Stuart said. "But Trey wants to be playing NRL and I totally understand his position and that is a big part of the process going forward for Trey to play NRL and be a future Raider."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

We’ll happily after a couple of cup stints it seems he has finally leapfrogged Emre in Stickys eyes.

Next up, Saulo.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Make it count, Trey. Go like blazes
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Offered a deal to 2027 potentially longer, so good to hear.

I’m sure he’ll kill it and hopefully sign an extension in coming weeks. EXCITING TIMES
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

“We’ve offered him a very good deal”. Interesting language and public messaging there.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Regardless of what happens with Trey I think we will have one of the best middle rotations/forward packs in the competition for as long as Ricky is involved. It's an area he does very well. Trey is a gun and I want him to stay but I trust the club massively in this area.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Trey has a medium term opportunity to take over from Papa. That’s a great long term place to be in for a young developing Prop with your career in front of you.

Imagine having Taps as your front row partner. What an awesome pairing they could become.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Very keen to watch Trey this weekend.

Perhaps being held back for 4-5 weeks will have himself breathing absolute fire when he runs on! Can’t wait to see his early involvements.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Mindblowing to me that Guler has been there ahead of this bloke. Never been so confident a bloke will kill it as a forward in FG. But, I'm not a coach and maybe there are reasons we aren't aware of.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

He plays the next 4 games easy and cements his place in the top level
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

BJ wrote: April 12, 2024, 6:57 pm Trey has a medium term opportunity to take over from Papa. That’s a great long term place to be in for a young developing Prop with your career in front of you.

Imagine having Taps as your front row partner. What an awesome pairing they could become.
He'd probably have to get ahead of Ata first. IMO Ata is the better prospect.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Billy Walker wrote:“We’ve offered him a very good deal”. Interesting language and public messaging there.
He has other firm offers. Raiders may not be offering enough.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: April 12, 2024, 8:14 pm
Billy Walker wrote:“We’ve offered him a very good deal”. Interesting language and public messaging there.

Everyone is trying to spoil my night!
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Hope I’m wrong but theres a hint they may have faafo’d on this one.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: April 12, 2024, 8:18 pm

Everyone is trying to spoil my night!
Love Island stinks

If we lose him, I will never forgive Rocky
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I wonder if that quote is aimed at the supporters or aimed at the player.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I think we still have time to play this right.
Dont delete this GE