Titans 13+
20%

Total votes: 25

tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2024 Round 6 v Titans: Teams and Previews

Post by tommyhud9 »

We have struggled to have any attacking identity for years now, but last night I think we saw the birth of one.

Right side featured the power of Timoko and the speed of Schiller.

Left side it is clear that Kris and Savage have great chemistry and Savage's speed is lethal.

Pls Ricky, keep it as is.
Green Machine
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Green Machine »

Is Sticky going to have Fifita over for dinner while he’s in town?
2011 Bronze Member - #8066
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Green Machine wrote: April 9, 2024, 4:07 am Is Sticky going to have Fifita over for dinner while he’s in town?
Doubt it , Brent Read was reporting he was staying at the Titans.
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by thevikingclap on ig »

Our attack was the best it’s been in a long time, keep the backline the same.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by PNGRaider37 »

Surely Trey Mooney gets a run this weekend
Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

PNGRaider37 wrote: April 9, 2024, 9:47 am Surely Trey Mooney gets a run this weekend
I think 90% of Raiders fans are hoping so but Ricky is probably more likely to bring Guler back in :roll:

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

benda wrote: April 8, 2024, 7:40 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: April 8, 2024, 2:01 pm A lot of people are picking Stewart in their 17 for this game if Rapana is rested, but I think chances of it happening are incredibly slim. Far more likely that Kris or even Savage will go to fullback with Sasagi or Hopoate to go to the centres. Hard to speculate on how we might line up without knowing who will be available and I think there are a few different options we could go with, but Stewart to fullback for this round is the most unlikely outcome imo.
I've noticed the same thing.

Kris isn't our long term fullback. He should be our long term centre.

If Rapana is rested, I'd consider putting someone at FB that we could consider with a longer term view. Every top side has a fullback. I dont know yet if we are a "top side" ( I think not yet).... so I'd name a side that has a starting fullback that is long term.

My gut tells me that switching Rapana and Savage during the game is not something Stuart is keen on doing. Which is weird. 2022 Savage was pretty good.. so there could be data points for Stuat's decision here that aren't obvious to us.
If you're asking me, I think Stewart should come in if Rapana is rested this week but I'm not confident Ricky will go that way for this game. We're sitting fifth currently so he will go with what he sees as the safe option imo even though Titans is probably a good game to give him a run.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I doubt it.

My expectation is Hokinson back starting edge, Mariota to the bench and Sasagi back to cup. No other changes unless through injury.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

benda wrote: April 9, 2024, 12:13 am
Rick wrote: April 9, 2024, 12:10 am I think teams have realised he is a 1 trick pony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What does Cook do that Starling can't?
Maybe he needs to mirror more of Cook's game. Don't know.

Its a shame, because he was really effective a few years back for us. I do notice when he comes on we drop.

I struggle to also understand why Woolford isn't either let go or put back in our starting side. I rate him as our number 1 hooker. I do see Levi improving tho.
Starling also went through a lengthy court process that ended with all charges against him being dropped and then I think he sued the NSW police. Having things like that going on in the background is bound to have some impact on how you train and prepare and I think that the whole saga rocked his confidence to some degree.

His energy in defence has been a positive when he comes on both in the line and with kick chase but he hasn't been having the same impact with the ball.

He is 2 years younger than Woolford but I doubt that is a huge consideration.

My feeling is that Woolford is better suited to starting as his game is simple and straight forward both in attack and defence. I haven't seen anything from him that would indicate he will have an impact off the bench. I haven't seen enough of any of the other options to know if they deserve a shot.

Levi rightly has the starting spot locked up, I'm surprised and pleased with how well he is playing.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 8, 2024, 2:01 pm A lot of people are picking Stewart in their 17 for this game if Rapana is rested, but I think chances of it happening are incredibly slim. Far more likely that Kris or even Savage will go to fullback with Sasagi or Hopoate to go to the centres. Hard to speculate on how we might line up without knowing who will be available and I think there are a few different options we could go with, but Stewart to fullback for this round is the most unlikely outcome imo.

If Rapana is rested, I'd consider putting someone at FB that we could consider with a longer term view. Every top side has a fullback. I dont know yet if we are a "top side" ( I think not yet).... so I'd name a side that has a starting fullback that is long term.

My gut tells me that switching Rapana and Savage during the game is not something Stuart is keen on doing. Which is weird. 2022 Savage was pretty good.. so there could be data points for Stuat's decision here that aren't obvious to us.
The key metric for Savage seems to be confidence and Stuart has eluded to this in a number of press conferences. When he came to him about wanting to play on the wing next to Kris he said something like that he could play anywhere with his skill set and thats what disappointed him and also after the eels win he said something again.

Seems like last year rocked him with injury and playing in the lower grades and he lost that belief in himself. We saw on Sunday what he is capable of but there's a risk that putting him at fullback too soon could rock his confidence again if he didn't have a great game. He could be our best option but he needs to be able to ride the ups and downs of fullback life.

If Rapana is out for a week then I would love to see Stewart get a crack. It gives him a genuine taste of NRL and what he needs to work on. It seems like he is a potential long term option and while Kris can fill a gap he's better in the centres.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Put Stewart at fullback and it is a very young backline, and still a young team over all.
If not Stewart I would like to have a look at Weekes get a run. Certainally wouldnt slow down the team.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Whatever gives us the best chance to win this game is what I'd go with. I think we need to cash in and win the games we're supposed to win. It builds confidence within the club and will help all involved in the long term.

Debut Chevy if he is ready but not if it is to take a punt and see how he goes.

Mooney needs a go 100%.

The competition is so tight that we could legitimately be a top 4 side this season. That would be huge for us moving into 25 with Chevy being a regular part of our 17 and improving us overall. We're in a good spot, don't drop the ball and start giving guys a run if they aren't up to it.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Thought I'd selected Raiders 13+ in the poll but it has come up with Titans 13+
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

pickles wrote: April 9, 2024, 10:41 am

The key metric for Savage seems to be confidence and Stuart has eluded to this in a number of press conferences. When he came to him about wanting to play on the wing next to Kris he said something like that he could play anywhere with his skill set and thats what disappointed him and also after the eels win he said something again.

Seems like last year rocked him with injury and playing in the lower grades and he lost that belief in himself. We saw on Sunday what he is capable of but there's a risk that putting him at fullback too soon could rock his confidence again if he didn't have a great game. He could be our best option but he needs to be able to ride the ups and downs of fullback life.

If Rapana is out for a week then I would love to see Stewart get a crack. It gives him a genuine taste of NRL and what he needs to work on. It seems like he is a potential long term option and while Kris can fill a gap he's better in the centres.
Taking the long-term view, it’d be fantastic to give Stewart a taste of first grade. He will have been watching a number of his NSW Cup mates come up and thrive, and would want to do that too.

It’s just as well Hoppa’s arm still hasn’t recovered, or there would be some chance Rick would shoehorn him into the 1!

In terms of what will actually happen, I’m fairly sure we will see more fear-based decision making this week… Cotric into the centres, Kris to FB
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

After this week we have Broncos, Sharks and Manly into the bye. To be a good chance in those games we need our best players on the field so if a week will make a difference then rest them and give some younger players a go. Titans should be an easier debut than any of those games.

There's not a massive difference between the teams in the NRL so if we turn up thinking it will be easy it won't be and any team can get their pants pulled down.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If Rapana is out, I’d give Chevy a shot
I think there is great benefits to a young player like him getting a taste of FG with no pressure and no expectation to hold the spot

Gives him a chance to experience that level of football and know what this is like, so he can keep honing his craft and be all the more prepared later when the job is his to keep
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson

Post by thevikingclap on ig »

Rapana
Schiller
Timoko
Kris
Savage
Strange
Fogarty
Papa
Levi
Tapine
Young
Hosking
Smithies
Starling
Horsburgh
Mariota
Saulo

Mooney
Weekes
Sasagi
Cotric
Woolford
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I'm hoping Chevy gets a run, but I fear Kris will be fullback.

Surely Ricky would be hesitant to break up Kravage. Surely.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RaiderSpark
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

Chevy Stewart to debut for Raiders

Boom Canberra fullback Chevy Stewart is set to earn a long-awaited NRL debut this weekend with Raiders coach Ricky Stuart to blood the youngster on Sunday afternoon.
Stewart will be handed the No.1 jumper to replace veteran Jordan Rapana, who suffered a knee injury in last weekend’s win against Parramatta.

Medical staff are sweating on the results of scans to determine the extent of Rapana’s injury that could require surgery and sideline him in the medium term.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 397a9287a9

The DT reporting Chevy Stewart to debut this week Image
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Yep - I’ve been told Chevy is set to debut (let’s see how reliable the source is) but given it’s in DT, looks the goods.

1. Chevy Stewart
2. Xavier Savage
3. Seb Kris
4. Matt Timoko
5. James Schiller
6. Ethan Strange
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papali’i
9. Danny Levi
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Zac Hosking
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Hohepa Puru
15. Pasami Saulo
16. Ata Mariota
17. Trey Mooney
18. Simi Sasagi

Except, Starling in for Puru and Simi in for Trey.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 9, 2024, 12:14 pm Yep - I’ve been told Chevy is set to debut (let’s see how reliable the source is) but given it’s in DT, looks the goods.

1. Chevy Stewart
2. Xavier Savage
3. Seb Kris
4. Matt Timoko
5. James Schiller
6. Ethan Strange
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papali’i
9. Danny Levi
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Zac Hosking
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Hohepa Puru
15. Pasami Saulo
16. Ata Mariota
17. Trey Mooney
18. Simi Sasagi

Except, Starling in for Puru and Simi in for Trey.
This looks about right with the understandable adjustments. I'm a bit surprised that all the forwards bar Hors pulled up ok. There were a couple who looked like they were in a bit of trouble at different points of the game. Shows how important it is to have depth.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RaiderSpark wrote: April 9, 2024, 12:08 pm Chevy Stewart to debut for Raiders

Boom Canberra fullback Chevy Stewart is set to earn a long-awaited NRL debut this weekend with Raiders coach Ricky Stuart to blood the youngster on Sunday afternoon.
Stewart will be handed the No.1 jumper to replace veteran Jordan Rapana, who suffered a knee injury in last weekend’s win against Parramatta.

Medical staff are sweating on the results of scans to determine the extent of Rapana’s injury that could require surgery and sideline him in the medium term.

Let's see what the kid can do
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Rapa has been very good this year, but there is a chance this kid could take us to another level and we badly need that. We need to keep finding a few extra percent across the paddock. I like how this is building
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m excited.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Also, want to point this out now, Chevy can come out and make 60 metres and 3 errors this weekend and I’ll still be excited to watch him play the next week (whether cup or NRL).

Long term, I’m confident he will be our fullback (or at least an NRL fullback) for the next 10 years. I’m just not expecting him to hit the ground running - he only turned 18 in July and started playing cup a few weeks before then.

I just want to see him hold his gloves up on kick returns and put in effort.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 9, 2024, 1:16 pm Also, want to point this out now, Chevy can come out and make 60 metres and 3 errors this weekend and I’ll still be excited to watch him play the next week (whether cup or NRL).

Long term, I’m confident he will be our fullback (or at least an NRL fullback) for the next 10 years. I’m just not expecting him to hit the ground running - he only turned 18 in July and started playing cup a few weeks before then.

I agree but I’m still very excited.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

:thumbsup

Very happy about this.

If Hors is out, it HAS to be Mooney selected.

A glimpse of our future, lads.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I think Chevy is the missing link of the backline and spine... without overhyping it, I can hardly think of a better fullback to complement our current setup. He will run off Strange and the forwards, almost guaranteed to make a line break doing so... and he will also bring Savage and the other backs into the game with his passing (even more than they already are)

Should be good
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2024, 1:23 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 9, 2024, 1:16 pm Also, want to point this out now, Chevy can come out and make 60 metres and 3 errors this weekend and I’ll still be excited to watch him play the next week (whether cup or NRL).

I agree but I’m still very excited.
Yep lock him in and then let’s kick the tyres on Mooney and see if we can’t squeeze a bit more output through him. There aren’t too many players in this first grade squad feeling secure about their selection each week and the competition is a good thing.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2024 Round 6 v Titans: Chevy Stewart to debut

Post by zim »

Even if he has a rough time I like that this is the plan. Bring him up and give him a taste. The real hand over will happen next year and a short stint will give him a great idea on what's required.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Good see Stewart get a run. No doubt the Titans will target him and there will be elements of the game that he will struggle with but he needs to understand those things to keep developing. Hopefully Rapana isn't out long term and he can serve an apprenticeship this year, filling in when Rapana is injured or suspended.

As a side note Ricky has done a very good job of developing juniors into quality first graders over the past couple of years and our current depth is a credit to a good balance of development and astute recruitment.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Campbell isnt bigger than chevy.. even match up..
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Very happy to see Chevy get a go if reports are true. And if he shows he belongs in First Grade at such a young age (big if so early) our team is so much stronger with a legit fullback and Rapa (when he comes back) and Savage on the wings.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Wiki Special wrote: April 9, 2024, 2:24 pm Very happy to see Chevy get a go if reports are true. And if he shows he belongs in First Grade at such a young age (big if so early) our team is so much stronger with a legit fullback and Rapa (when he comes back) and Savage on the wings.
Chevy would have to kill it to push Rapana out of fullback this year I think but given Rapa's history of injury and suspension he should get plenty of chances in the NRL and plenty of time to work on his game in Cup.

I feel like we are better off looking towards our backline for next year and getting that stable which possibly doesn't involve Rapana.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

I actually think Rapana is at risk of missing the next 4 to 6 weeks (I think he needs a clean out for the knee) so I’m hopeful Chevy can make a fist of it.

Would hate to see him have a poor game, Rapana is still out and then Hopa comes in. Don’t get me wrong, don’t just keep playing Chevy if he isn’t ready, it’s just outside of Rapana there are no good choices.