Through green eyes 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Through green eyes 2024

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: March 17, 2024, 8:00 pm His stats are woeful, the only thing he does well is crisp service to the halves

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Kind of what you want from a 9 isn’t it? If only he could score a try out of dummy half or backing up through the middle after initiating a blind side attack- oh hang on…
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Love your work GE and I enjoyed your story above regarding the Channel 10 competition in 1989.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:His stats are woeful, the only thing he does well is crisp service to the halves

I wouldn't call it crisp per se

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 17, 2024, 7:46 pm
Finchy wrote: March 17, 2024, 6:18 am
Billy Walker wrote: March 17, 2024, 5:31 am I feel like there might be an unconscious bias against Danny Levi in these weekly ratings.
I feel like there might be a conscious bias for Danny Levi when you give him 3 points every week Billy, even when not a single other person gives him any points as he’s clearly not the best on field.

Maybe look at your own bias (aka trolling) before criticising GE’s assessments hey?
Must be mixed feelings for you watching a player you have so definitely written off doing such a great job for us. Someone once said he’d be very good for us - oh yeah it was me. :thumbsup
Nah, I think you’re mistaking “very good” for “averagely adequate”. I also recall you saying making the finals last year was dependent on Levi, and he played what, all of two partial first grade games and we still made the finals? Keep up the delusion Billy
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-TW- wrote: March 17, 2024, 8:00 pm His stats are woeful, the only thing he does well is crisp service to the halves

Except for that pass in the third minute which went to no one, his passing was ok. It is his defence which concerns me. The ineffective effort on Api for the Tigers 2nd try as an example. As the season moves on opposition coaches will do their homework. It will be up to DL to improve in this area.

The Raiders kept the Tigers scoreless in the second half. That was a fine effort from an injury (HIA) disrupted side.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: March 17, 2024, 6:18 am
Billy Walker wrote: March 17, 2024, 5:31 am I feel like there might be an unconscious bias against Danny Levi in these weekly ratings.
I feel like there might be a conscious bias for Danny Levi when you give him 3 points every week Billy, even when not a single other person gives him any points as he’s clearly not the best on field.

Maybe look at your own bias (aka trolling) before criticising GE’s assessments hey?
I'm really not sure why you bother, Finchy. You know the answer to what you're saying before you ask, it really is like shouting down a narrow corridor, and you're in fact getting the reaction he so desperately craves.

As for the writeup, another good read, Ferg! Only one minor issue, it should be "stacking on a blue" to coin the old expression, but I do appreciate the attempt.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:

Except for that pass in the third minute which went to no one, his passing was ok. It is his defence which concerns me. The ineffective effort on Api for the Tigers 2nd try as an example. As the season moves on opposition coaches will do their homework. It will be up to DL to improve in this area.

The Raiders kept the Tigers scoreless in the second half. That was a fine effort from an injury (HIA) disrupted side.
Hey Red, who's that guy not pushing across on the Fainu try? The two markers busted a gut to get there but the A defender walked.

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The levels people are going to in an attempt to justify and legitimise an unconscious bias. Keep it up, it will only become more uncomfortable and awkward for you as Danny Levi goes from strength to strength. I’d rather enjoy seeing our good players succeed than trying to death ride them. Sad to see!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

bonehead wrote:
-TW- wrote:His stats are woeful, the only thing he does well is crisp service to the halves

Compared to Starling..

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:
bonehead wrote:

Compared to Starling..

that's a low benchmark, remember when we had hodgo.... ah those were the days

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

bonehead wrote: March 18, 2024, 11:41 am
RedRaider wrote:

Hey Red, who's that guy not pushing across on the Fainu try? The two markers busted a gut to get there but the A defender walked.

It looked like a well rehearsed play boney, like they had done their homework on the Raiders defensive line. The markers will come across fast, but there are opportunities to get behind the covering markers with a pass back in the direction of the play the ball. There is no one there, and so it proved.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: Political football

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart caused a stir this week, when he spoke about the stench that was all pervasive in the tunnel and the change rooms at Canberra Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The source of the stench turned out to be a sewer pit and a failed pump at the ageing venue.

That might seem to be a trivial issue. Many people seemed to find it amusing and had some fun with it.

But the plumbing problem was emblematic of a much larger problem.

And that problem is this. Canberra Stadium is now at the end of its economic life.

The ACT Chief Minister, Andrew Barr told us all it would be by now, back in 2014.

"It will be a poor outcome for the city if by the mid-2020s we have not replaced Canberra Stadium, because it will be 50 years old and it will be at the end of its useful life," he said then.

"If Canberra wants to have teams in national competitions, we need to have the appropriate level of infrastructure to support that, and we've got to be thinking about how best to deliver that. It's got to be done. I'm very firmly of the view that has to happen."

A decade later, there is still no actual plan for building a new Canberra Stadium. There's a seventh feasiblity study/review underway. The aim, we're assured, is to build a new 30,000 seat stadium at Bruce by 2033.

No wonder Ricky Stuart was frustrated about the lack of action, when asked about the plumbing on Saturday.

"I feel sorry for those people there with the stench," Stuart said. "I know people laugh at it. But we are the capital of Australia. It's absolutely crap that they don't build a stadium to look after Canberra's people. I'm all for education and I'm all for hospitals. But we have to have some common sense."

Unusually, the mainstream media in Sydney took notice and the remarks were widely reported. Since then, there's been a new round of political football underway. It's been a bit heated, because it is an election year in the ACT.

Unfortunately, some have lost sight of the nature of the problem.

"We've got a stadium. It's not in the best of shape, but we've actually got one and there's other things we desperately need. So I think it's an interesting question of where it sits," Greens leader Shane Rattenbury said this week.

The Greens, of course, are a part of the ACT government - and they are reportedly reconsidering their support for the government commitment to do something by 2033.

Yes, we've currently got a stadium. But its time is up. Built in 1977, it has already been refurbished once. Two major stadiums in Sydney have been built, knocked down and re-built in the meantime. Stadium infrastructure generally does not last longer than 50 years.

And as pointed out recently in a submission from the NRL to a federal parliamentary inquiry, Canberra Stadium is no longer "fit for purpose". That's because it was built as an athletics facility, and was originally an oval. The sight lines for spectators are very poor, with the grandstands set well back from the sidelines.

By 2033, the facility will be 56 years old. And some seem to want to push a new stadium even further to the back burner?

I've seen plenty of other furphys thrown up this week.

Some have suggested that if the NRL and the Raiders want a stadium, they should build it themselves. The fact is, that doesn't make economic sense for any sporting code in Australia. Governments across the country build major stadiums, because they have a large element of "public good".

What is a public good? It is something that would not be provided, or would be underprovided, without the involvement of government. It is something society values and wants - but the private benefits that can be reaped by providing it are not enough to justify the costs of doing so.

Major stadiums are expensive to build. In Australia - in most places anywhere - they generally don't produce an income stream that delivers a commercial rate of return on the investment.

But governments build them in cities across the world. Why? Because sporting stadiums give cities a sense of community. They add something special to a community's way of life. A place to gather. A place that allows people to share special moments.

Anyone who saw Josh Papalii score the try at Canberra Stadium to send the Raiders into the 2019 Grand Final will know what I'm talking about.

I've also seen some complain this week that only a small number of people use Canberra Stadium... why should the rest of us pay for it? This feeling is the very reason that some goods are "public goods". Some people are unwilling to pay for something that is of value and benefit to the community as a whole. They would rather be "free riders". It is the very reason governments have to intervene.

I can think of at least one other major infrastructure project being built in Canberra right now, which is going to cost a lot more than a stadium - and will be used by a very small percentage of the population. It is still being built, because it it is seen to be beneficial to the way the city functions and the community as a whole.

As for priorities... we should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. A new Canberra Stadium has been a political football for far too long. Fifteen years and seven studies already. It can't be put off forever.

The Raiders headed to Christchurch on Monday, sitting on top of the competition ladder. It is the first time the Green Machine has finished a round in first place since Round 6, 2005.

The Raiders rank second for the best attack and defence in the league - based on tries scored and conceded. Given the Raiders finished in the bottom five teams in both departments last year, that's a promising start to the season.

The next assignment is the Warriors. That will be the biggest test Canberra has faced so far. The New Zealand outfit is yet to win a game. But they finished in the top four last year and have been playing some good football.

Teamlist Tuesday was a bit controversial this week, as far as the fans were concerned.

Zac Hosking was the man of the match in Round 2, but the return of captain Elliott Whitehead from injury has seen the Penrith recruit pushed back to the bench. Most teams bring their captain straight back in, in those circumstances, so I'm not surprised. We're also yet to see how Ricky Stuart uses the pair in a game situation. I'll reserve my opinion until I see how it works.

Many fans were also asking, 'Where's Corey Horsburgh?' Not named in the NRL or NSW Cup squads, it appears he's going to be a late addition to the Cup team on Saturday. I was surprised by that decision, but the judgement seems to be that he needs at least this week to get back into the swing of things.

The other decision that surprised was that Ata Mariota was the forward who dropped out of the top 17, with the return of Whitehead. I thought he might have jumped one or both of the bench props, myself.

All that aside, it should be a great contest on Friday night. Full house. Two teams playing good footy. There are all sorts of reasons that the Warriors should be favourites (and they are). The old nemesis Shaun Johnson worries me. But based on the opening rounds, I'm confidently tipping a Raiders win. Famous last words.

By the way, make sure you get out to Seiffert Oval on Saturday to see Corey Horsburgh in action. The NSW Cup and Flegg teams are playing the Warriors at the Raiders' spiritual home. And they have been playing some absolutely terrific footy in those grades. Entry is free. Don't miss it.

Every week I rate the Raiders players on a scale of 0-10... and here are the latest tallies. Tell us what you think of the ratings!

Total points

Jamal Fogarty 15
Zac Hosking 15
Morgan Smithies 15
Albert Hopoate 14
Josh Papalii 14
Jordan Rapana 14
Joseph Tapine 14
Matt Timoko 14
Xavier Savage 13
Ethan Strange 13
Hudson Young 13
Danny Levi 12
Emre Guler 11
Pasami Saulo 11
Ata Mariota 10
Tom Starling 10
Sebastian Kris 6
Nick Cotric 5

Average points per match

Jamal Fogarty 7.5
Zac Hosking 7.5
Morgan Smithies 7.5
Albert Hopoate 7.0
Josh Papalii 7.0
Jordan Rapana 7.0
Joseph Tapine 7.0
Matt Timoko 7.0
Xavier Savage 6.5
Ethan Strange 6.5
Hudson Young 6.5
Sebastian Kris 6.0
Danny Levi 6.0
Emre Guler 5.5
Pasami Saulo 5.5
Nick Cotric 5.0
Ata Mariota 5.0
Tom Starling 5.0

Plus follow us on X: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

In today's Daily Telegraph, their sports cartoonist Boo Bailey has a picture of GIO Stadium and the comment is "The Viking Crap"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: As I saw it

2024 Round 3. New Zealand Warriors 18 - Canberra Raiders 10. Undefeated no longer. The Raiders were right in the clash with the New Zealand Warriors. They brought their grinding game plan of the opening two rounds to Christchurch. They were on top for a lengthy period. They might have even won, but for a few crucial moments. But in the end, the Warriors prevailed, primarily because they had better strike in attack.

Canberra's defence has significantly improved in 2024. Committed and determined. At times tonight, their scramble was extraordinary. Xavier Savage produced two try saving tackles, one on prop forward Addin Fonua-Blake, felling the big man just metres from the try line. Jordan Rapana also produced a try saver, but he conceded a penalty - and the Warriors scored on the back that. More improvement is required, as a couple of Warriors tries were far too easy. There were too many line breaks conceded. Some of that reflected missing personnel.

But the main thing we learned from the game is that the Raiders have quite a way to go in attack. High completion rates and playing it tight isn't enough against the better teams. The Warriors were a clear step or two ahead with the ball in hand. At times, Canberra had a lot of ball in the red zone and struggled to crack the Warriors' line. The hooking duo of Levi and Starling did not have the forward pack rolling. And in the red zone, things looked a bit disorganised against the Warriors' strong goal line defence. The team didn't look like it was gelling well, despite having plenty of possession and territory in the middle part of the game.

The bunker made a couple of calls that proved costly for the Raiders. First, Ethan Strange was denied a try, after it was ruled he lost control in the grounding. It was one of those calls that easily could have gone the other way, had the on field referee, Liam Kennedy, sent it up as a four pointer. I thought it was grounded properly, with no separation. But I concede someone else might reach a different conclusion.

Later, Joe Tapine was denied a try under the posts after a one on one steal. The bunker ruled Tapine came in contact with the ball first and knocked on. It seemed to me that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck touched the ball first, and Tapine took it from his grasp. It proved to be a critical moment. The Warriors were quickly awarded a random off side penalty, went to the other end, and Luke Metcalf scored under the posts. Instead of a 16-6 score line in favour of the Raiders, it was 12-10 to the Warriors. All round, it was a poor performance from the referee.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart was somehow not asked about those key bunker decisions in the post match press conference. Elliott Whitehead was asked if the calls were frustrating, and he concurred. But he wasn't blaming the loss on that. He admitted errors at key times cost them. Nick Cotric had a night he'd rather forget. A horror dropped ball in the 65th minute produced the match winning try for Tuivasa-Sheck. Canberra had chances after that, but just couldn't put it together in the final 20 minutes.

The backline will be strengthened next week by the return of Sebastian Kris at centre. Cotric will probably be the player to make way. Albert Hopoate had some issues in defence. At some point, James Schiller probably deserves a shot on the wing.

I'm not sure that the back row changes this week worked either. Elliott Whitehead started, with Zac Hosking brought on at around the 20 minute mark. Whitehead returned for the final 14 minutes, with Morgan Smithies taken off. Hosking was not as good as he has been in the opening two games. He didn't seem to settle, after being injected off the bench. Smithies is needed on the field for 80 minutes... if can manage it. I'm really not sure the make up of the bench is right. Some tough choices ahead.

Stats that mattered: The Raiders ended the game with a 52 per cent share of the ball and 50 per cent of the territory. They had a 53 per cent share of both in the first half. But the Warriors had the edge in the second forty (51 per cent possession share, 53 per cent of territory). Both teams had a completion rate of about 80 per cent, despite the fact the Warriors made more errors (13-9). The Raiders conceded more penalties (6-4).

Total runs were just about even (Raiders 202, Warriors 198). But the Warriors made more running metres (1744-1624) and slightly more metres per set (41-39). Canberra produced one more tackle break (30-29) and more post contact metres (664-586). The Raiders posted more offloads (6-0), but it was the Warriors that made more line breaks (6-4).

Jamal Fogarty's kicking game was again very strong (747 kick metres from 23 kicks). He kept the Raiders out of trouble when they were under pressure in the opening 20 minutes. He often put the Warriors back to their own goal line. The problem was Shaun Johnson was also pretty handy in that department (663 kick metres from 22 kicks). Overall the Raiders produced 780 kicking metres, the Warriors 726. The Warriors forced one line drop out, the Raiders none. Fogarty's short kicking game in the red zone was once his forte, but there is less of that due to rule changes this year encouraging short line drop outs. Teams would rather not risk the contest for possession. Fogarty's changed focus and his long kicking game has become one of the best in the league.

The Warriors had to do more defensive work, but only missed one more tackle (30-29). The Raiders had the better effective tackle rate (92-91 per cent), with the Warriors posting more ineffective tackles (9-1).

Overall, the numbers show it was a tough, tight contest. But in the end, the Raiders conceded three tries, the Warriors two, and that's always the key statistical indicator.

Memorable moments: The Xavier Savage try saver on Addin Fonua-Blake near the 20 minute mark was the most memorable moment of the match, by far. For the Raiders anyway. His second try saver, aided by Hudson Young, early in the second half, was not too bad either. The Raiders scored two good tries. The second, to Nick Cotric was slick, but the defensive error for Marcelo Montoya made it easier than it should have been. He shot out of the line, leaving his wing exposed. The first, to Matt Timoko, was the better of the two for mine. It just showed how determined he was to get across the line.

Best performers:

Jordan Rapana. 28 runs for 205 metres, 77 kick return metres, 55 post contact, one line break, one line break assist, one try assist, eight tackle breaks, two offloads, seven kicks defused.

Matthew Timoko. One try, 11 runs for 135 metres, 69 post contact, one line break, two line break assists, one try assist, three tackle breaks, one offload, 15 tackles, 88 per cent tackle efficiency

Jamal Fogarty. Nine runs for 60 metres, one line break, two tackle breaks, 24 tackles, 96 per cent tackle efficiency, 23 kicks for 747 kick metres, nine bombs

Top tacklers: Hudson Young (39), Zac Hosking (33), Joseph Tapine (31), Morgan Smithies (29), Danny Levi (29)
Most metres gained: Jordan Rapana (205), Nick Cotric (141), Joseph Tapine (139), Matthew Timoko (135)

Tapine and Emre Guler (112) were the only forwards to break 100 metres gained.

My player ratings:

Jordan Rapana 8
Nick Cotric 5
Matt Timoko 7
Albert Hopoate 5
Xavier Savage 6
Ethan Strange 5
Jamal Fogarty 7
Josh Papalii 6
Danny Levi 5
Joseph Tapine 7
Hudson Young 6
Elliott Whitehead 5
Morgan Smithies 6

Tom Starling 5
Emre Guler 6
Zac Hosking 6
Pasami Saulo 5

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I agree with all of that write-up GE.

In the NFL teams work on two minute drills. Their 'go-to' plays to win a game at the death. We tried our equivalent tonight and it just looked like utter chaos. There didn't appear to be any cohesion or plan, but this is our DNA. Individual brilliance or crash balls. This is despite Cotric scoring a really well worked try earlier in the game.

Our forwards didn't have the same impact as the last two weeks and I thought we were well contained by the Warriors. Last week in the first half, the Storm tactic of playing two passes off the ruck against the Warriors worked very well - throwing their attack at the edges - instead of trying to bash them through the middle. I was disappointed that we didn't try the same.

I'd be really interested to see or hear what the plan is to transition Chevy, Ata and Mooney into the side is? Even giving Schiller or Asomua a go? Ata, Mooney and maybe Schiller sooner rather than later but Chevy needs a taste. I wonder if we're looking at the draw and pencilling a debut for him? Understand that we don’t need significant changes because we didn't play that poorly but still a few of those guys need an opportunity plus Horse coming back next week. Will be interesting to see how it works - noting that EW was pretty ineffective tonight.

Warren Smith repeatedly commented during the game that Corey Horsburgh was returning from suspension next week. Can anybody actually explain what is going on with this situation?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Corey Horsburgh is available this week, expected to play in NSW Cup at Seiffert today.

NRL.com incorrectly has Horsbugh returning in Round 4: https://www.nrl.com/casualty-ward/?comp ... eam=500013
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I went to the NSWRL website and it looks like Raiders v Warriors NSW Cup match will be shown today on live stream at 2pm.

Pretty much agree with your ratings GE although the two Xav try savers would have had him up to 7 for me. I am finding it tough that Guler is getting longer minutes than Papa. Only Sticky would know why.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

RedRaider wrote:I went to the NSWRL website and it looks like Raiders v Warriors NSW Cup match will be shown today on live stream at 2pm.

Pretty much agree with your ratings GE although the two Xav try savers would have had him up to 7 for me. I am finding it tough that Guler is getting longer minutes than Papa. Only Sticky would know why.
Maybe Papa's thumb injury was worse than it appeared last week?

@greeneyed thanks re: Horsburgh. More fool me for thinking a commentator knew what they were talking about.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

RedRaider wrote: March 23, 2024, 6:39 am I went to the NSWRL website and it looks like Raiders v Warriors NSW Cup match will be shown today on live stream at 2pm.

You have to pay for NSWRLTV. There's no free streams anymore.

https://www.nswrl.tv/browse
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

NoMan wrote: March 23, 2024, 12:46 pm
RedRaider wrote: March 23, 2024, 6:39 am I went to the NSWRL website and it looks like Raiders v Warriors NSW Cup match will be shown today on live stream at 2pm.

You have to pay for NSWRLTV. There's no free streams anymore.

https://www.nswrl.tv/browse
There is a 14 day free trial on at the moment NoMan. They still ask for credit card details before allowing access.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Through green eyes 2024

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: "I'm going to play every game like it's my last"

Canberra Raiders winger... or should I say fullback... Jordan Rapana plays his 200th NRL game in green on Sunday night. He becomes just the 14th player to join the Green Machine's 200 club.

Rapana's already celebrated his 200th NRL game, late last year. But this milestone game is the big one for him.

"Even though I played a handful of games at the Titans, I still feel like I'm a one club man," he said last year.

Sunday's clash with the Sharks at Cronulla could be the last significant milestone game in the career of the 34 year old veteran.

Rapana started out in the NRL in 2008. He made his first class debut with the Titans at the age of 18 - and made a splash in the win over the Roosters, scoring two tries.

He played five NRL matches that year, before he headed to the other side of the world on his Mormon mission. It took him quite a while to find his way back to rugby league. He did it in Canberra, with Raiders coach David Furner giving him a shot in 2013. He was cutting hair and bar tending back then.

Now, more than a decade later, Rapana has the status of a Canberra club great.

Irrepressible is the best word to describe him. There's just no holding him back. He goes at everything, 100 kilometres per hour. That gets him in trouble at times, but there's no doubting that he gives his all, every time he runs onto the field.

In my view, he is one of the two best wingers to have pulled on a green jersey, along with John Ferguson. He might not have won a premiership, so far at least. But his career achievements with the club are impressive nonetheless.

Last year, he became only the fourth Raiders player to score 100 tries. He has every prospect of overtaking Brett Mullins' mark (105) this year. Rapana also holds the record for most tries for the club in a single season - 23 in 2016, back in the heady days of "Leipana", his partnership with centre Joey Leilua.

He's been the Dally M Winger of the Year, the Meninga Medallist. He's won the Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Player of the Year three times. He has played 16 Tests for New Zealand, and before that, three for the Cook Islands.

The reason Rapana is great is that he never gives up. There was a game in 2016 that encapsulated that.

With the end of the season approaching, the Raiders hosted the Knights at Canberra Stadium. Rapana left the field with a shoulder injury in the 15th minute and the Knights made hay down that edge. By the 25 minute mark, Canberra had conceded 22 points to Newcastle.

The comeback came for the home team in the second half, with the match forced into golden point. 25-25 at the end of regulation time, after two last gasp field goals.

The decision of coach Ricky Stuart to send Rapana back into the fray in the second half proved to be critical to the final result. In the moments beforehand, Stuart told him: "I put you on I can't take you off, the only way you're going to come off is in a coffin".

That wasn't required.

The Raiders missed two field goals in extra time. The tension was unbearable. In the 85th minute, Blake Austin missed another drop goal, with the ball sailing well wide. The hearts of the Canberra crowd sank.

But then a miracle bounce, just inside the dead ball line, happened. Jordan Rapana chased, hard, and the ball fell into his arms. Only he would have chased it, so remote was the possibility of a try. Never give up. It was the most golden of tries and the most golden of wins.

The "ultimate competitor". That's how coach Ricky Stuart and Jordan Rapana's team mates describe him. That's despite the fact Rapana comes "last in conditioning" and "doesn't put much time into his footy".

He's also a character, which is why those at the club and the Canberra fans love him.

"He's given me so much opportunity to not like him," Ricky Stuart said, laughing, on Fox League this week.

"He's just a guy you can't not like. If there's a short cut to be taken, he'll take it. But he's one of the most competitive footballers I've coached. Once he gets over the white line, game day, he's such a competitor."

"In a recent interview, I explained the impact that Mal Meninga had on players. Raps is very similar."

"He's a loyal person. We'll be friends for a long time after I've finished coaching. But gosh, he's created some tough, difficult periods."

"I remember he was being stupid on social media and I brought him into the office. He was very early in his career and I said, 'Mate, I've sacked better players than you'. And thank God I didn't."

Jamal Fogarty warns that you have to watch your breakfast when Rapana is around.

"He's just so unique. I don't think there's many words that could describe Jordy," Fogarty said.

"For an example, if you were to come in of a morning... you've got a bacon and egg burger... you know, that's yours, that's your breakfast. And he'll go, 'Hey bro!'... take a bite out of it straight away and he'd walk off."

"He's probably the most loving and caring person."

"He's definitely the biggest competitor on a football field that I've played with."

"His body's bashed at times, and the stuff that he gets through as a winger, and some of the tries that he scores and the effort... You know, he's coming last in conditioning, but as soon as you play a game of football he'll be the last person chasing someone down."

It's a similar story from Canberra prop Josh Papalii.

"Jordan's obviously just Jordan," he said.

"He doesn't really do much in the way of extras on field. You look up straight after Sticky does the talk at training and Jordan's the first person off the field."

"He's always getting told to not be late. to pick up his towel after showers."

"I think that's what makes Jordan unique - someone who doesn't put much time into his footy, but he's still a gun. He's just the ultimate competitor, he's always down for the team and that's what makes Jordan special."

Second rower Hudson Young says that Rapana is "very different to the guy you see on the footy field".

"He's the most kick back guy I've ever seen."

"He's jut a genetic freak. He doesn't have to do any training out here, or any weights and he still goes out and plays like that. Probably the most competitive player that I've played with or against."

2024 might be the last year that we see this unique character, this unique football player, on the field.

Rapana is off contract, after being given a one year extension back in May last year. It was widely expected that he would retire at the end of the season. At one stage, Ricky Stuart even said that this season will be Rapana's last. But since then, the club has been a bit more guarded and the man himself is even flirting with playing on.

Rapana trained at fullback during the off season - and that's where he's started this year. After the recent win over the Tigers, Rapana said he's lost seven kilos and has never been fitter. And that he won't be forgetting his old motto.

"I'm obviously still enjoying myself and whether it is my last year or not, I’m going to play every game like it's my last."

Every week I rate the Raiders players on a scale of 0-10... and here are the latest tallies. Tell us what you think of the ratings!

Total points

Jamal Fogarty 22
Jordan Rapana 22
Zac Hosking 21
Morgan Smithies 21
Joseph Tapine 21
Matt Timoko 21
Josh Papalii 20
Albert Hopoate 19
Xavier Savage 19
Hudson Young 19
Ethan Strange 18
Emre Guler 17
Danny Levi 17
Pasami Saulo 16
Tom Starling 15
Nick Cotric 10
Ata Mariota 10
Sebastian Kris 6

Average points per match

Jamal Fogarty 7.3
Jordan Rapana 7.3
Zac Hosking 7.0
Morgan Smithies 7.0
Joseph Tapine 7.0
Matt Timoko 7.0
Josh Papalii 6.7
Albert Hopoate 6.3
Xavier Savage 6.3
Hudson Young 6.3
Sebastian Kris 6.0
Ethan Strange 6.0
Emre Guler 5.7
Danny Levi 5.7
Pasami Saulo 5.3
Nick Cotric 5.0
Ata Mariota 5.0
Tom Starling 5.0

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Jordy Rapana is one of my favourite Raiders ever.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:Jordy Rapana is one of my favourite Raiders ever.
He’s definitely Frank’s favourite!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:
Can't question Frank!!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'm just disappointed Rapana hasn't been part of a premiership side during his time here. He deserves it.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:
reptar wrote:
Can't question Frank!!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
No. He understands the question, but can’t be bothered responding.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

That is an interesting read. Jordy has had a great NRL career based on natural ability. You could question whether he’d be even better had he been an elite trainer or committed in the weights room - I’d suggest no. If you contrast him with HSS and Cotric you see two other players that had promising possibly great natural talent but did seem too focused on the weights and in bulking up seemed to lose speed, agility and things that made them good. There probably aren’t too many clubs considered to be lazy trainers that find success, but for some players in some positions I think there is a lot to be said for allowing natural ability to shine through. I’d love to know if Rapa considered himself lazy on the training paddock or if he considered that he knows his body and what he needs to succeed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: As I saw it

2024 Round 4. Cronulla Sharks 36 - Canberra Raiders 22. It was an embarrassing performance from the Raiders. Dismal too. Those were words Raiders coach Ricky Stuart used after the match. To say it was diabolical is probably not going too far. The Raiders led 18-0, after 25 minutes, and then conceded the next five tries straight to the Sharks. It was a fade to put the regular Raiders' fades to shame. As someone said on social media, it even started before half time. Canberra's game plan of the opening few weeks - play it tight, up the middle, kick long and kick to the corners - was largely missing. No one with a calm, level head took control when it was needed.

Neither team played well in the opening stages, really. The Raiders made a number of errors in the Sharks' red zone, before finally putting some points together. But at 18-0, things almost felt comfortable.

Then in the final 10 minutes of the first half, things went wildly wrong. The Sharks piled on three tries, obliterating the Raiders' lead. It was the result of more error from the Raiders, plus poor defensive choices and a lack of urgency in getting to the ball.

The madness of the first half subsided in the second. It was a bit more of a grind. Not that the Raiders ever really got into the grind. They rarely looked like scoring. They did produce a try, with just under 10 minutes remaining, thanks to a good cut out pass from Jordan Rapana to James Schiller - and they trailed by eight. But it was the Sharks that finished the stronger.

Sadly, the match was Jordan Rapana's 200th game in green. He won't have good memories of it. What is it with milestone matches and the Raiders? Some teams like the Melbourne Storm lift for these games. The Raiders not only tend to lose these games, but they deliver the most awful performances to boot. Ricky Stuart often says in the lead up to these matches... "If they can't lift for this one, and do it for [insert player name here], then... [blah, blah, blah]". Then they don't lift. They do exactly the opposite. It has to be something in the collective mind of the team.

Stats that mattered: The Sharks ended the game with a 51 per cent share of possession and 60 per cent of the territory. Canberra did well in both departments in the first 25 minutes - but it was largely Cronulla after that. The Raiders had just 36 per cent of the territory in the second half. Neither team completed too well, but the Sharks were better (79 per cent, compared with 75 per cent for the Raiders).

The Sharks dominated many of the attacking statistics. They made more runs (191-165), running metres (1612-1393), metres per set (41-34) and kick return metres (162-118) than Canberra. They shaded the Raiders for tackle breaks (27-23) and offloads (10-9). Line breaks were even at five apiece, while the Raiders produced more post contact metres (522-486).

The Raiders made slightly more kick metres (592-545) from the same number of kicks (17). But Jamal Fogarty's kicking game was not as effective as in the opening rounds. At one stage, he was sacked on the last before he could get his kick away. However he did produce one very good 40/20 kick. Good Raiders' defence also delivered one forced line drop out.

Both teams posted an effective tackle rate of around 89 per cent, and 14 ineffective tackles. The Raiders missed more tackles (27-23) and that created too much chaos.

In terms of negative play, it surprised me that the Sharks made one more error (12-11). It seemed like the Raiders made a whole lot more than the opposition. Penalties conceded (3-3) and ruck infringements (5-5) were level. At times, the set restarts were being called willy nilly - and the officiating played a part in accentuating the wild momentum swings.

The Raiders received some tough 50/50 calls, as well, particularly late in the first half. At least one knock on was missed in the lead up to to the first Sharks try to Trindall. And it was mystifying that the bunker supported a Cronulla captain's challenge prior to that. It was a turning point. Ronaldo Mulitalo lost the ball in a tackle, but the bunker concluded Hudson Young dislodged the ball after the tackle was complete. It sure didn’t look complete to me. The officiating will be the least of coach Ricky Stuart's concerns, however. The bottom line is this. You should not lose games that you lead by 18 points.

Memorable moments: I'm tempted to try and forget the whole game. The first try to James Schiller was good. Zac Hosking feigned to take the ball towards the middle of the field, before switching it wide. Matt Timoko then delivered the ball to Schiller with a great tip on. Schiller had work to do to get to the line too. The tries to Xavier Savage and Danny Levi were mostly the result of poor Cronulla defence on the goal line. I've mentioned the good cut out pass from Rapana to set up the second Schiller try above. Now can I forget the whole game already?

Best performers:

Joseph Tapine. 16 runs for 169 running metres, 70 post contact metres, three offloads, 33 tackles, 89 per cent tackle efficiency.

Matt Timoko. 12 runs for 111 running metres, 51 post contact metres, one try assist, four tackle breaks, two offloads, 15 tackles, 79 per cent tackle efficiency.

Ethan Strange. Seven runs for 77 running metres, 33 post contact metres, one line break assist, two tackle breaks, 22 tackles and some good ones.

Morgan Smithies. 12 runs for 102 running metres, 39 post contact metres, 31 tackles, 94 per cent tackle efficiency. He conceded three ruck infringements, but I don't blame him for that.

I'll admit I've struggled to find anyone other than Joe Tapine for the list. Tapine gets my three points, Timoko, Strange and Smithies one.

Top tacklers: Hudson Young (35), Joseph Tapine (33), Morgan Smithies (31), Corey Horsburgh (31)
Most metres gained: Joseph Tapine (169), Jordan Rapana (140), Xavier Savage (121), Matthew Timoko (111)

Tapine, Morgan Smithies (102) and Josh Papalii (102) were the only forwards to break 100 metres gained. The fact is, the Raiders' forward pack was outplayed by a Cronulla pack that included a few "reggies". To be fair, the Raiders were also disrupted by the loss of Zac Hosking to concussion during the game. But the forward interchange, in particular, was poor.

I cannot avoid mentioning one other thing. Plenty of Canberra players produced errors, but sadly Xavier Savage (3) and Corey Horsburgh (2) produced some very costly ones at critical stages.

My player ratings:

Jordan Rapana 6
James Schiller 6
Matt Timoko 7
Sebastian Kris 4
Xavier Savage 4
Ethan Strange 6
Jamal Fogarty 6
Josh Papalii 6
Danny Levi 6
Joseph Tapine 7
Hudson Young 6
Zac Hosking 4 *
Morgan Smithies 6

Tom Starling 4
Ata Mariota 5
Pasami Saulo 5
Corey Horsburgh 4

* Minutes limited by injury.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I thought Danny Levi deserved slightly more than a 6, but maybe I’m bias.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I’m seeing a lot of scores above a 5. That performance was not a pass mark. Needs more 3-4’s.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Too high this week, GE. Needs to be at least 1 point deducted for each player. We let Cronulla score 30 unanswered points and eventually 36. Horse and Savage cannot be a 4 based on that performance. Young, Schiller were not a 6.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Timoko wasn’t a 7 either. Bad miss for one of the tries.

Young was a 4.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yep too many pass marks there for me
I think there was 4-5 players worthy of a 5 or 6.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’d be supportive of GE taking a mulligan and having a do-over if that is something he is inclined to do so.
Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Second that mulligan. I'll also do the exercise. These would be my ratings:

Jordan Rapana 6
James Schiller 5
Matt Timoko 5
Sebastian Kris 4
Xavier Savage 4
Ethan Strange 4