Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2024 Round 3 v Warriors: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: March 23, 2024, 4:32 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 23, 2024, 4:06 pm
RedRaider wrote: March 23, 2024, 3:59 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 23, 2024, 11:48 am
gangrenous wrote: March 23, 2024, 11:41 am
You’re looking at the wrong names in my opinion. Stewart and Sanders I think are 2025 propositions.

This year it’s
Hosking as a full timer
Asomua and Schiller having a crack at the backline (I haven’t seen much of Asomua so I don’t know if he’s ready. But Schiller should be in the mix)
Mariota and Mooney in the forwards
Woolford at hooker

Those are the 2024 calls to make.
Woolford stinks.
Woolfords form in NSW Cup this year has been good and in todays match it was outstanding. All he needs is opportunity. But that comes down to one Coach making the correct decision on team selection. We've seen over the past 2 seasons how much better the FG side goes with Woolf in the 9. He is far better defensively too.
Let’s break your post down Red. You say all Woolford needs is opportunity. Then in the same breath you acknowledge he has been given a shot in first grade for the last 2 seasons. Those two statements don’t marry up mate.

Go through the three game day threads and read the number of comments complimenting our attack and backline movements. That’s has everything to do with speed out of dummy half and an attack on the front foot. But you know that Red because I’ve read your analysis on here and you are generally spot on in views. This is just a case of you not liking the player and struggling to move past that.
Crikey Billy, I didn't think I'd have to put in 'opportunity in 2024' when it is clearly this season we are talking about. Liking a player or not has nothing to do with performance. You were able to say you liked Jarrod Croker but were critical of his performance. I've never met DL to know if I'd personally like him or not, but based on NRL performance, Woolford is better for the team imo.
The point is Red that Woolford has had all the opportunity in the world. Much more than he would have received if our number 1 rake didn’t twice break his jaw last year. He didn’t grab that opportunity and make the position his own. I’d been keen to see Trev get some more opportunity but he has had limited opportunity but did ok I thought. Woolford is a solid backup if our starting 9 is out.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Looking at our 9s...

I haven't rewatched Friday's game so I may be wrong on a couple of points and I thought DL was mostly serviceable. There was the odd wobbly pass to no one- but it's greasy and most hookers have one in them. There was the odd stagger a few steps sideways and get lost looking for a play. Not great. And he fell off a couple of important tackles- Ricky drops guys for that fairly often. In among that, not bad. I think GE's 5/10 is about on the money.

Starling can run. Can hit, seriously tackle for a little guy. Impeccable technique. Can't pass though- have a look at the slow floater he throughs from the scrum base with 4 mins to go when we _really_ needed something crisp to do something from that scrum. Instead the receiver is monstered due to slow service.

Woolford has very little running game. Looks weak. Tends to make his tackles though. Has a nice wide, flat pass and can put some deception in his work and times guys onto the ball beautifully. The pack hums.

We are probably arguing the relative plusses and minusses of a bunch of bottom 6 hookers though. I like Woolf because I think our pack is our strength and he serves them best + is the most likely to deceive or create with the ball, which we lack. We have plenty of strong runners. We lack creativity.

If DL can play a handful of 7/10 games amid his 5s and 6s I'd be happy enough. But I think he's a low ceiling.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 23, 2024, 11:25 am
Rickmando wrote: March 23, 2024, 9:07 am Regardless of the names involved, It’s the second time in less than 12 months that we’ve put sentiment/emotion above winning.

Very amateurish from a supposed professional organisation.
That's a simple man's view.

The bigger picture is the club is in a very good spot because of its culture. There are many things that make up that word and keeping players happy is one large component of that.

How many games have we won because of our culture in recent season? I'd suggest it's quite a lot. So as much as you say that Whitehead has been put ahead of winning, there is a lot more to it than that.

If Whitehead and Croker weren't honoured and respected what would that do for the buy in of other members of the squad? The answer is, we don't know. However, I don't think it would be a positive. You should reflect on your own employer and how they treat you for reference to how much you're willing to buy in and give back.

I don't think Whitehead should be starting nor do I think he is in our best 17 but coaching and managing employees in general is a lot more complicated than that.
It’s very convenient to make your argument based on purely subjective intangibles rather than anything measurable. Makes it very hard to be accountable when you do that.

You’ve learnt very well from your mate about how to dodge accountability it seems!
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Billy Walker wrote:
Botman wrote: March 23, 2024, 9:41 am The EW issue has been around for about 2 years now. Lets not pretend this is a new issue. Posters have been talking about this for a long time now.
He'll have a game here and there where he winds back the time piece and produces good football and in fairness to him it seems to me, at least anecdotally, that those games often come in important games like finals, ala last years Knights final when he was quite good
But for 2 years now, game to game, regaular season... he has not produced NRL level football.

There is the makings of a pretty good team this year in the squad, not a contender but a competitive unit who with injury luck could sneak a finals spot and give someone a frieght... we're going to be talented enough to beat bad teams but if we want to beat good teams, and a build a team that can beat good teams consistently into 2025-26, we're going to have to stop settling for the 3-4 sub par players and replace them with higher ceiling talent

We have enough floor raising talent in the team, what we are lacking is ceiling raisers.
Very true. There is obvious talent in NSW Cup, with hopefully more on the way. The real challenge is how Ricky correctly introduces them to first grade. As much as I’d love to see Stewart cut loose I think holding him back is likely the correct call. If Sanders arrives early how he is handled will also be interesting. In terms of replacing EW. There is no management or easing in required. The risk is losing players who aren’t given the opportunity ahead of EW.
You’re looking at the wrong names in my opinion. Stewart and Sanders I think are 2025 propositions.

This year it’s
Hosking as a full timer
Asomua and Schiller having a crack at the backline (I haven’t seen much of Asomua so I don’t know if he’s ready. But Schiller should be in the mix)
Woolford at hooker

Woolford stinks.
Woolfords form in NSW Cup this year has been good and in todays match it was outstanding. All he needs is opportunity. But that comes down to one Coach making the correct decision on team selection. We've seen over the past 2 seasons how much better the FG side goes with Woolf in the 9. He is far better defensively too.
I've seen Woolford play. He is the Nick Cotric of 9's. He is as slow as a wet week. Modern NRL is all about speed and he doesn't have it. No running game at all. He isn't a threat.

I don't think Levi is great but he is the pick of our lot IMO. We need to invest.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 23, 2024, 9:20 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Very true. There is obvious talent in NSW Cup, with hopefully more on the way. The real challenge is how Ricky correctly introduces them to first grade. As much as I’d love to see Stewart cut loose I think holding him back is likely the correct call. If Sanders arrives early how he is handled will also be interesting. In terms of replacing EW. There is no management or easing in required. The risk is losing players who aren’t given the opportunity ahead of EW.

This year it’s
Hosking as a full timer
Woolford at hooker

Woolford stinks.
I've seen Woolford play. He is the Nick Cotric of 9's. He is as slow as a wet week. Modern NRL is all about speed and he doesn't have it. No running game at all. He isn't a threat.

I don't think Levi is great but he is the pick of our lot IMO. We need to invest.
Did you watch todays NSW Cup game BB. Woolf was very good as usual imo.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: March 23, 2024, 10:13 pm

This year it’s
Hosking as a full timer
Woolford at hooker

Woolford stinks.

So was Tyrone Peachy for the Panthers. Goes to show the difference between NSW cup and NRL.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This year it’s
Hosking as a full timer
Woolford at hooker

Woolford stinks.

He and Trevilyan were the best hookers at the club this weekend. Though I though Owen Pattie went really well too.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

This year it’s
Hosking as a full timer
Woolford at hooker

Woolford stinks.

No I didn't mate. I'm sure he did. He is a good player just don't think he is up to NRL.

We're in an undesirable position with our 9's. We've talked about there being a lack of Halfbacks recently in the NRL. Hooker is even more dire. There are maybe 4 elite level hookers across the competition IMO - Grant, Koroisau, Egan, possibly Cook and that's a stretch.

It's not just an us problem which makes it harder to address. I'd like us to go and look for an English player.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 24, 2024, 6:53 am

Woolford stinks.

No I didn't mate. I'm sure he did. He is a good player just don't think he is up to NRL.

We're in an undesirable position with our 9's. We've talked about there being a lack of Halfbacks recently in the NRL. Hooker is even more dire. There are maybe 4 elite level hookers across the competition IMO - Grant, Koroisau, Egan, possibly Cook and that's a stretch.

It's not just an us problem which makes it harder to address. I'd like us to go and look for an English player.
We bought the best 9 from the Super League. He was playing for Huddusfield. What’s his name again?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

And a quick google search tells me James Roby was named by Man of Steel panelist as the ESL’s team of the year hooker in 2022.

Did we sign James Roby?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Good point earlier about the difference between NRL and NSW Cup.

Levi also looked well above that level last year, but it doesn’t necessarily translate to NRL.

We have three bottom of the range NRL hookers who have different strengths and weaknesses. Seems to be a bit of a dearth in hooker stocks across the board at the moment.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Schuster is in NSW Cup and looked every bit the part last week, Angus Crichton was in NSW Cup and looked like an NRL player
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Neither of those you would want to sign based on factors you won’t see on a NSW cup field
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

dubby wrote: March 24, 2024, 8:21 am Schuster is in NSW Cup and looked every bit the part last week, Angus Crichton was in NSW Cup and looked like an NRL player
Crichton wouldn't be a bad pick up for us an an edge/middle. I'm concerned about his mental state but if that was OK he would make us a better team in 25. He has played well at representative level. All for the right price of course.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 24, 2024, 10:30 am
dubby wrote: March 24, 2024, 8:21 am Schuster is in NSW Cup and looked every bit the part last week, Angus Crichton was in NSW Cup and looked like an NRL player
Crichton wouldn't be a bad pick up for us an an edge/middle. I'm concerned about his mental state but if that was OK he would make us a better team in 25. He has played well at representative level. All for the right price of course.
Agree 100%. Crichton is the type of player we should be kicking the tyres on. What can often work against us as a club can work for us here instead by promoting a change of scenery to get his head right.

Elite player, still only 28.
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

Probably late to the party here, but I was ok with our game.
Sure we lost, and thats sad. But in years gone by we would have leaked points, dropped balls, kicked out on the full etc etc and been well and truly thumped. The fact we were in that game up to our eyeballs all the way is a great sign of things to come.
Warriors (despite their bad start) are a Top 4 team, and we were in the contest the whole way.
Other random thoughts:

* I like that we didn't/don't have a "big moments player" (aka Jack) to throw the ball to. It makes us actually come up with strategies and plays. Sure it didn't land this time, but the fact Jack doesn't pull of the occasional rescue is good for us - it will make the coaching stuff come up with a better game plan then "throw it to Jack". This might take a while, but overall only good for us.

*I thought Savage played really well, defended really well, and didn't give up on defence. Big difference from years gone by. Excellent to see. With regards to attack - he really never got the ball in an attacking position

*I didn't have an issue with the refereeing - seemed equally applied to both teams. The Strange try was always going to be what ever the ref sent it up as - good arguments either way. Sadly Taps try was always going to be a knock on - maybe if the ref sent it up as try and maybe if the bunker was generous, maybe...(but really no)

As an aside, wonder how Jack is enjoying the Rabbits...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Shiv wrote: March 24, 2024, 11:42 am Probably late to the party here, but I was ok with our game.
Sure we lost, and thats sad. But in years gone by we would have leaked points, dropped balls, kicked out on the full etc etc and been well and truly thumped. The fact we were in that game up to our eyeballs all the way is a great sign of things to come.
Warriors (despite their bad start) are a Top 4 team, and we were in the contest the whole way.
Other random thoughts:

* I like that we didn't/don't have a "big moments player" (aka Jack) to throw the ball to. It makes us actually come up with strategies and plays. Sure it didn't land this time, but the fact Jack doesn't pull of the occasional rescue is good for us - it will make the coaching stuff come up with a better game plan then "throw it to Jack". This might take a while, but overall only good for us.

*I thought Savage played really well, defended really well, and didn't give up on defence. Big difference from years gone by. Excellent to see. With regards to attack - he really never got the ball in an attacking position

*I didn't have an issue with the refereeing - seemed equally applied to both teams. The Strange try was always going to be what ever the ref sent it up as - good arguments either way. Sadly Taps try was always going to be a knock on - maybe if the ref sent it up as try and maybe if the bunker was generous, maybe...(but really no)

As an aside, wonder how Jack is enjoying the Rabbits...
Well said Shiv. And can’t imagine bunny town is a happy place at the moment!
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

If we were looking at england 9s for me it would be brad oNeil from the warriors. He is a robust 9 who is defensively solid and can play in the forwards. He isn't exceptional but there are very few of those available either here or in England. Other option is one of Newcastle's 9s which for me would be crossland.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Crossland's stinks. If we're recruiting, we should be trying to recruit someone significantly better not moving from one bad option to a slightly better but still bad option.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: March 24, 2024, 7:04 pm Crossland's stinks. If we're recruiting, we should be trying to recruit someone significantly better not moving from one bad option to a slightly better but still bad option.
Or in the case of Danny Levi, moving from an average option (Woolford) to a less than average option.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Woolford stinks.

BB, Woolf played 9 in semi finals the last 2 seasons and played well. There is something in the Sticky-psyche which picks him for the big year end games and yet when a new season comes around he picks him in NSW Cup. It beggars belief that a player who does well in Finals footy 6 months ago in a spine position is not selected when not injured. Same happened the previous year. Sticky has form in doing this crazy 'selection' stuff, like he forgets about players on his bench, like he picks players out of form again and again (Valemei), or players unsuited to some positions (Kris to fullback persevered with and then the end of season admission 'he's not a fullback').
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

RedRaider wrote: March 24, 2024, 8:32 pm

BB, Woolf played 9 in semi finals the last 2 seasons and played well. There is something in the Sticky-psyche which picks him for the big year end games and yet when a new season comes around he picks him in NSW Cup. It beggars belief that a player who does well in Finals footy 6 months ago in a spine position is not selected when not injured. Same happened the previous year. Sticky has form in doing this crazy 'selection' stuff, like he forgets about players on his bench, like he picks players out of form again and again (Valemei), or players unsuited to some positions (Kris to fullback persevered with and then the end of season admission 'he's not a fullback').
Hey Red I don't disagree with you, but as we had recently watched Woolf Ms Bon said You know he looks overweight. I think it might be a stretch.... buuuut - is it possible that he's a bloke who takes a fair while to work his way into match fitness? (whisper it) a bit slack in preseason? I don't know, but DL looks pretty fit. Still not very inspiring, but at least fit.

And as I'm sure Bot knows, James Roby just retired aged 38 or 39.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think a Woolford Levi rotation has a bit to offer.

A stint in NSW Cup for Starling to work on speeding up his service and selecting which way to attack would be good for him.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Lui_Bon wrote: March 24, 2024, 9:25 pm

Hey Red I don't disagree with you, but as we had recently watched Woolf Ms Bon said You know he looks overweight. I think it might be a stretch.... buuuut - is it possible that he's a bloke who takes a fair while to work his way into match fitness? (whisper it) a bit slack in preseason? I don't know, but DL looks pretty fit. Still not very inspiring, but at least fit.

And as I'm sure Bot knows, James Roby just retired aged 38 or 39.
He looked a bit underdone in the trials but Woolford looked fit on the weekend and doesn't look to be carrying any extra weight. He played 80 minutes in round 2 and didn't struggle.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Not sure it's that. I think Woolford is just a lot slower than Levi and his long ball is very slow. Everything about him is slow. After watching him be slow all preseason its not surprising he hasnt started the year. We havent been very fast of fluid in attack the last 2 seasons. With Levi in the side to start this year we have looked outstanding in attack. Maybe he has had something to do with that, maybe he hasnt. But I haven't been too unimpressed with Levi.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Levi has shown an ability to step out of dummy half and immediately straighten our attack and he’s a good quick wrestler once in the tackle. But that’s about the end of his positives.

Woolford is more organised and has much better service from dummy half but isn’t as good at straightening our attack and has been guilty of the occasional lazy play.

Starling is electric off a quick play the ball and has a good tackle technique. But his service is even worse than Levi and his long passes make Sydney Harbour Bridge look like the Hay Plain.

Such a mixed bag we have in the hooker position without a player above an overall 6/10 NRL level.

I’ve said before
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Did BJ just have a stroke?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:Did BJ just have a stroke?
Ahhh I’m alive. Mobile phone coverage died mid post, but I don’t remember hitting send.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote: March 26, 2024, 12:15 pm
The Nickman wrote:Did BJ just have a stroke?
Ahhh I’m alive. Mobile phone coverage died mid post, but I don’t remember hitting send.
Haha I hate when that happens.

I've always thought
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

If we have to have Levi in the side then I like the idea of him being paired with Woolford.

This would allow Trev to start in NSW Cup and Starling can practice his impact of the bench.

Woolford off the bench in the NRL would give us a bit more creativity around the ruck. Why rely on Starling to run when we could have Woolford there making sure our actual attacking threats get the ball when they need it.

We might even be able to execute a scrum play with Woolford throwing the pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk