Eels half Ethan Sanders agrees to terms with Raiders for three year deal from 2025

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Parramatta Eels still hoping to hold onto Raiders target Ethan Sanders

Post by greeneyed »

At the earliest I would think.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Finchy wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:10 pm
bayraider wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:08 pm So by what GE is saying with the new rules,
If everything goes as is expected
we can assume he will be announced by the end
of April?
If he decides to actually sign with us, perhaps
He probably won't because Ricky has lost the dressing room and we don't develop young players...
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 5:14 am
bayraider wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:08 pm So by what GE is saying with the new rules,
of April?
He probably won't because Ricky has lost the dressing room and we don't develop young players...
Very clever BB, but this is 2024 not 2021, get with the current times. And I never claimed he doesn’t develop young players, so you’re 0-2
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

of April?
As Ricky approaches his 250th game at the club, could you remind me of all the young #7s that he has 'developed' in that time?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
MJY
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by MJY »

T_R wrote: March 22, 2024, 10:37 am
of April?
As Ricky approaches his 250th game at the club, could you remind me of all the young #7s that he has 'developed' in that time?
Do they have to be young to improve? Jamal Fogarty is playing career best - Sezer played career best football at the raiders and there's also a strong argument that George Williams played his best.. definitely based on the games I've seen since he's been back in England. That covers well over half the 250 games.
And another point. Have we had any young halves in our system that have left and become a successful first grader? If we haven't had the talent with the potential there's not much to develop.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

MJY wrote: March 22, 2024, 11:02 am
of April?
Do they have to be young to improve? Jamal Fogarty is playing career best - Sezer played career best football at the raiders and there's also a strong argument that George Williams played his best.. definitely based on the games I've seen since he's been back in England. That covers well over half the 250 games.
And another point. Have we had any young halves in our system that have left and become a successful first grader? If we haven't had the talent with the potential there's not much to develop.
But he didn't ask "which established first graders have improved since joining the Raiders", he specified young 7's. Plenty of other positions or established halves have improved.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Bluesbrother specified young players and we're talking about a young half. I think it was a reasonable question to ask.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Tbf, it's a pretty short list of young 7's developed across the league since he got here.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm impressed by the way Fogarty's kicking game has improved since he arrived.

I'm also impressed by Strange's defence in the halves. It will be interesting to see how Weekes comes along.

Stuart certainly got career best football out of Wighton when Jacky Boi straightened out his off-field nonsense for a year or two.

So yeah, I'm quietly confident the Raiders will provide the right environment for Sanders. When he arrives...

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

of April?
Jamal Fogarty, Aidan Sezer have both played their best football here.

Can you remind me of all the young 7's that have been developed into match winners across the competition in the last 10 years?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

NoMan wrote: March 22, 2024, 11:26 am Tbf, it's a pretty short list of young 7's developed across the league since he got here.
He's been at Canberra ten years now. Almost every half in the game has come through in that time!

Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 11:50 am
of April?

Can you remind me of all the young 7's that have been developed into match winners across the competition in the last 10 years?
Sezer was 25 and Fog 28 when they came here.

"Match winners" could include any number of halves, but if we're talking elite talent off the top of my head, Cleary, Moses, Hynes, Hughes
MJY
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by MJY »

It is a fair question but - this is a list of 'young' halves in our system since 2017 with Mounties and NSW cup
Cooper bambling
Ata Hingano
Brendan O'hagan
Joshua James
Adam Cook
Tyler Cornish and the best was Lachlan Croker coming off multiple ACLs
It would take some coach to turn them into an elite match winning half in the realm of a Nicho Hynes - Sanders has potential so judgement should be reserved until we see how he develops - and Strange also looks like he is improving week to week
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

T_R wrote: March 22, 2024, 11:51 am
NoMan wrote: March 22, 2024, 11:26 am Tbf, it's a pretty short list of young 7's developed across the league since he got here.
He's been at Canberra ten years now. Almost every half in the game has come through in that time!
Not really, 6 or 7 of the starting halves in round 1 had played first grade when he joined and Hunt, DCE, Johnson, Reynolds, Chad were all established. That's 3 out of the top 5 based on last year.

I'd also say about 200 washed out in the meantime and you only have to look at round 1 teams to see most will not last.

Maybe Ricky should have developed someone in a decade, but it's easily the hardest position to develop internally. At least I would give him credit and say he has covered it by buying pretty well in the position instead. I don't think Halfback has been a big weakness in his time here.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

T_R wrote: March 22, 2024, 11:51 am
Good point.

However, aside from Cleary, DCE, Hughes I don't think there is much quality in that position, let alone much quality being developed across the game in that position. Craig Bellamy is the GOAT of development IMO but aside from him there isn't many coaches out there in the business of developing halves. Players like Moses, Hynes, Dearden, Hunt aren't halfbacks I consider to be elite. They're good players but they aren't elite halfbacks in my book. They haven't delivered in big games in that position.

I think if you gave Ricky a young Cleary or DCE they'd have become good halfbacks. The ability they have has a huge impact on how good they become. The coach/club provide the environment rather than the skill acquisition or the leadership and vision required in that position. That's my view of coaching anyway. Coaches have a big impact on culture, environment and behavioural norms and standards not necessarily ability.

Of the halfbacks in the NRL I have Cleary and DCE at the top of the tree and daylight second.

You can point to halfbacks all you like but it's a problem across the game.

The overwhelming majority of players that have come to the Raiders in the last 10 years have become better players. Says a bit about the coaching.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Finchy wrote: March 22, 2024, 12:00 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 11:50 am

Sezer was 25 and Fog 28 when they came here.

"Match winners" could include any number of halves, but if we're talking elite talent off the top of my head, Cleary, Moses, Hynes, Hughes
As I said, they both played their best football at this club. I.e - they developed. Fogarty you could argue was/still is very young in his first grade career. His kicking to start this season is evidence of his development.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Whatever kick training he did over the off season we need to bottle it and pass it along to everyone that comes through the system.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

zim wrote: March 22, 2024, 3:09 pm Whatever kick training he did over the off season we need to bottle it and pass it along to everyone that comes through the system.
100% agree Zim. I reckon the Raiders will be pointing out to the Colonel the improved kicking game of Fog and saying "look at the skills development path for you".
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Reports Mitchell Moses is out 6 - 12 weeks…. Come on down Ethan Sanders. Not sure if this is a good thing for us, certainly won’t be getting him here this season.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think Ethan will get the call up. He's played 3 games of NSW Cup and they have Daejarn Asi who i think filled in for them quite admirably last year. Reckon he'll get first crack.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: March 25, 2024, 6:36 pm I dont think Ethan will get the call up. He's played 3 games of NSW Cup and they have Daejarn Asi who i think filled in for them quite admirably last year. Reckon he'll get first crack.
I'd say so. They basically were able to hold their own with Asi in the halves and scrape by with all season ambitions still intact. They'd risk blowing up their season chucking an 18 year old half in for 2 months.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: March 25, 2024, 6:52 pm
Botman wrote: March 25, 2024, 6:36 pm I dont think Ethan will get the call up. He's played 3 games of NSW Cup and they have Daejarn Asi who i think filled in for them quite admirably last year. Reckon he'll get first crack.
I'd say so. They basically were able to hold their own with Asi in the halves and scrape by with all season ambitions still intact. They'd risk blowing up their season chucking an 18 year old half in for 2 months.
If they knew he was staying they'd be tempted to give him a go. Not much to gain of he's already out the door next year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Northern Raider wrote:
BadnMean wrote: March 25, 2024, 6:52 pm
If they knew he was staying they'd be tempted to give him a go. Not much to gain of he's already out the door next year.
Well let's see. I think if he gets picked, we are in trouble as it would mean that Parra are confident of keeping him or at least trying to keep him.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

I reckon it's the opposite. If they pick Asi ahead of him its more of an indicator they are still in the hunt to keep him. Otherwise why bother playing him at halfback in NSW cup and not use him when the opportunity arises?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

NoMan wrote: March 25, 2024, 7:30 pm I reckon it's the opposite. If they pick Asi ahead of him its more of an indicator they are still in the hunt to keep him. Otherwise why bother playing him at halfback in NSW cup and not use him when the opportunity arises?
He's got 3 NSW cups to his name, and he's been solid there in the games ive watched (which has been 2 lol) but nothing particularly special. Reminds me a lot of the early Chevy Stewart NSW Cup games... you can see the skill set but he needs more time

I dont think what they'll do at the selection table will say anything either way about him. They could still have hope and quite rightly think he needs more time, they could be resigned to losing him and not pick him. I dont think they'll pick him either way.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

NoMan wrote: March 25, 2024, 7:30 pm I reckon it's the opposite. If they pick Asi ahead of him its more of an indicator they are still in the hunt to keep him. Otherwise why bother playing him at halfback in NSW cup and not use him when the opportunity arises?
Because when you think you are a top 4 and premiership chance now , and your star halfback goes down, you pick the team most likely to win you enough games to maintain those ambitions.

Any other considerations around kid who may or may not be at the club in 3 weeks and may or may no ever be a FGer come a long way down the list when you think your premiership window is on.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Very keen to see what happens here. My money would be on Talagi at 6 and Brown at 7.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

They’d be crazy to do anything other than pick Asi at 6 imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

6. Asi
7. Brown

Sanders has played 3 games of NSW cup to date, I wouldn’t put him in just yet maybe if it was round 10 or so. In saying that, his kicking game is better than both of Brown’s and ASI’s so I could see them naming him.

FWIW, I think he does come to the raiders next year and i hope he does which I have been vocal about however , if things don’t go our way and we miss out, we could do a lot worse than having Fog on our books for another two to three seasons while you search for his replacement. You can win a premiership with Fog and a serviceable 9 if Strange and Stewart hit their straps imo.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Sanders not named for FG, not even in the reserves.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

Saw the headline that Eels had shocked with the selection of a gun junior and was relieved to read that it was not Sanders.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Talagi is a highly rated talent
Thought he looked good at centre, interested to see how he goes.

I never thought they’d consider Sanders for this spot but it would have worried me a bit if he was picked
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

RedRaider wrote: March 22, 2024, 3:42 pm
zim wrote: March 22, 2024, 3:09 pm Whatever kick training he did over the off season we need to bottle it and pass it along to everyone that comes through the system.
100% agree Zim. I reckon the Raiders will be pointing out to the Colonel the improved kicking game of Fog and saying "look at the skills development path for you".
If Sanders increases his kicking distance as much as Fog has this offseason, he’ll boot it clear of the stadium.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Ruben Daley wrote:
RedRaider wrote: March 22, 2024, 3:42 pm
If Sanders increases his kicking distance as much as Fog has this offseason, he’ll boot it clear of the stadium.
a little Darrell Eastlake "HUGE"

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 26, 2024, 10:21 am Very keen to see what happens here. My money would be on Talagi at 6 and Brown at 7.
On the money BB. This is what they have done. Interesting that the Eels NSW Cup side have lost their 3 opening games. Ethan Sanders is the half back for that side. Only a few more weeks until the Round 6 deadline is upon us. Make it happen DFJ.