Sharks 13+
19%

Total votes: 27

President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: 2024 Rd 4 v Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by President Clinton »

Find it hard to believe Mooney isn’t in the 17 after his game in the finals last season.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: March 26, 2024, 5:38 pm
BadnMean wrote: March 26, 2024, 5:17 pm
simo wrote: March 26, 2024, 4:51 pm I wonder if the raiders are trying to get an extended deal done with mooney before they start giving him first grade minutes?
Showcasing him prior only boosts his value
Would you sign with an employer who was prepared to negatively impact your career and stunt your professional development (in a career only a decade long) in order to manipulate you into a new contract?
People do all the time.
Do you a) think the case being described fits with Mooney/Raiders?

b) if a) do you think he should?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

BadnMean wrote: March 26, 2024, 6:00 pm
Azza wrote: March 26, 2024, 5:38 pm
BadnMean wrote: March 26, 2024, 5:17 pm
simo wrote: March 26, 2024, 4:51 pm I wonder if the raiders are trying to get an extended deal done with mooney before they start giving him first grade minutes?
Showcasing him prior only boosts his value
Would you sign with an employer who was prepared to negatively impact your career and stunt your professional development (in a career only a decade long) in order to manipulate you into a new contract?
People do all the time.
Do you a) think the case being described fits with Mooney/Raiders?

b) if a) do you think he should?
I really don't need this crap today. I inhaled my favourite whistle. I'm going to go re-watch Top Gun Maverick.

PS I'm a mooney fan.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote: March 26, 2024, 3:45 pm
Northern Raider wrote:We've got genuine speed on both wings. When was the last time that happened?
Gafa and Graham?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Gafa? :roflmao
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

simo wrote: March 26, 2024, 4:49 pm No mooney or horse named in cup….
Mooney is 18th man
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

dubby wrote:
simo wrote: March 26, 2024, 4:49 pm No mooney or horse named in cup….
Mooney is 18th man
Horse is in the 8 jersey in Cup.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

An excellent forward pack who know there are 2-4 guys with very good claim to their spots aiming up against a decent pack without three of their usuals.

A halfback who’s consistently kicked to our advantage.

And outside backs with genuine pace and the ability to beat defenders.

I’m excited.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Man i am glad to get Kravage back in my life
need Sebby and X to stay healthy, lets get 3-4 weeks of footy into these fellas and see that combination flurish

Schmoko is also piquing interest my interest but i must admit i am still yearning for Asomoko
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: March 26, 2024, 7:54 pm Man i am glad to get Kravage back in my life
need Sebby and X to stay healthy, lets get 3-4 weeks of footy into these fellas and see that combination flurish

Schmoko is also piquing interest my interest but i must admit i am still yearning for Asomoko
Oh... shut up.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: March 26, 2024, 8:02 pm
Botman wrote: March 26, 2024, 7:54 pm Man i am glad to get Kravage back in my life

Oh... shut up.
Typical response
President Clinton
Dean Lance

dubby wrote: March 26, 2024, 6:46 pm
Northern Raider wrote:We've got genuine speed on both wings. When was the last time that happened?
Gafa and Graham?

Gafa wasn’t fast. Milne, Zillman and Graham were flyers.

But we’ve had some plodders (speed wise) in the backs. Howell, Mogg, Purtell, Kelly, Monaghan, Frawley weren’t very quick for NRL standard.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

President Clinton wrote: March 26, 2024, 8:26 pm
Gafa and Graham?

But we’ve had some plodders (speed wise) in the backs. Howell, Mogg, Purtell, Kelly, Monaghan, Frawley weren’t very quick for NRL standard.
I think Mogg was deceptively quick when it came to accelerating.

Schiller is actually one of the harder players to get a gauge on. Sometimes he looks at a level between Hoptric and Kravage, then against the Knights last year he looked he was running on sand at times.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep Mogg was pretty quick. Purtell surely the slowest of that lot. Kelly was pretty leaden of foot too.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 26, 2024, 8:57 pm
Gafa and Graham?

I think Mogg was deceptively quick when it came to accelerating.

Schiller is actually one of the harder players to get a gauge on. Sometimes he looks at a level between Hoptric and Kravage, then against the Knights last year he looked he was running on sand at times.
Schiller is quick! Got some very good acceleration and top speed too. He would be second quickest back there. I hope we take advantage of the speed of our wingers
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: March 26, 2024, 8:03 pm
Azza wrote: March 26, 2024, 8:02 pm

Oh... shut up.
Typical response
Anyway, Gafa, Purtell, Buser, Asbock, Porter, Wolfgramm... my goodness this club has dished out some drivel over the years. Good to see a bit of promise emerging.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Yeah Mogg could’ve move decently well.

Brett Kelly was actually very fast, when he got into open space. Which wasn’t very often. I remember him being incredibly frustrating to watch.
Bloody_Burnham
Gary Coyne

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

Gafa and Graham?

Ahh the turtle Purtell. Monaghan at least had some size and skill but lacked pace. Some pretty average names in that list. We could only dream of having players as talented as Timoko in our backline in that era.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I just had a quick McDougall and found this old chestnut:

https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10550

Tim blowing up deluxe!

Funny how back in the day there were threads dedicated to calling out individual players.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

yeh raiders wrote:I just had a quick McDougall and found this old chestnut:

Tim blowing up deluxe!

Funny how back in the day there were threads dedicated to calling out individual players.
I hate younger me, I can't believe that was 16 years ago...

He did get dropped the next week and we pumped the Rabbits so guess it was worthwhile?

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

yeh raiders wrote: March 26, 2024, 10:09 pm I just had a quick McDougall and found this old chestnut:

Tim blowing up deluxe!

16 years of bagging out the players giving their best for this club. I guess some things just never change. Sad to see really :nooo
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
yeh raiders wrote: March 26, 2024, 10:09 pm I just had a quick McDougall and found this old chestnut:

Tim blowing up deluxe!

16 years of bagging out the players giving their best for this club. I guess some things just never change. Sad to see really :nooo
You would never bag out a player, hey Billy?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
President Clinton
Dean Lance

Billy Walker wrote: March 26, 2024, 11:55 pm

Tim blowing up deluxe!

Hahaha shut the **** up Billy T. What about your nonsense that Jarrod Croker? Muppet.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Red wine and McNuggets the secret to Rapana's NRL longevity

At 34, Jordan Rapana is aging like a fine wine for the Canberra Raiders - which makes sense after he revealed the secret to his longevity ahead of his 200th NRL game for the Green Machine this weekend.

"Two glasses of red and a 20-nugget meal from McDonalds," Rapana joked. "I pinch myself every single day," he added. "To still be able to run around at 34, playing at fullback too, I'm really blessed and grateful."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

President Clinton wrote: March 27, 2024, 5:05 am
Billy Walker wrote: March 26, 2024, 11:55 pm

Tim blowing up deluxe!

Hahaha shut the **** up Billy T. What about your nonsense that Jarrod Croker? Muppet.
There is a difference between critical analysis and bagging someone out.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Rd 4 v Sharks: Teams and Previews

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: March 26, 2024, 1:21 pm Levi comeback epitomises Raiders' grit in 2024

Well-travelled hooker Danny Levi’s early-season renaissance has been a microcosm of Canberra’s gritty, expectations-defying start to 2024.

“It’s something you can’t fault the boys on, the effort areas – they are always putting in on that side of things,” Levi said after the Round 3 defeat in Christchurch. “There’s obviously a lot of things we need to fix up – a few too many errors – but it’s still early rounds and plenty of time to fix it up. What it comes down to is just working hard for each other – and we’ve got such a good group of boys here, they want to work hard for each other.”

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/26/lev ... t-in-2024/
“It’s awesome here, the camaraderie and Sticky’s got a massive culture of bringing the boys together. It’s an unreal bunch of boys and I’d like to stay as long as possible.”

Great stuff! :thumbsup
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Some random thoughts:

* Two relatively unheralded reasons for our solid defence to start the year: our completion rate, and Fog’s long kicking game. Both put us in much better territory resulting in far less defensive pressure, fatigue.
* This is potentially the best backline we have had in a very long time. It’s up to Schiller to hold onto his spot now. If he has a big game and we win, Stuart won’t change things.
* With Talikai at second row on the left, Hosking needs to play 80 minutes. Whitehead doesn’t have the physicality at this stage of his career.
* With the number of outs in the Sharks forward pack, our game plan is obvious, but watch someone like Hazleton run for 200m and dominate. Matt Prior in the 2016 semi still gives me shudders.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

‘Lucky it only burnt his arm’: The cooking explosion that injured Hopoate

Canberra outside back Albert Hopoate suffered severe burns to his right arm when an oil can behind a barbecue exploded. Albert’s father John said his son was at teammate Corey Harawira-Naera’s house on Monday night when the accident happened. “He was at Corey’s house when one of those spray oil cans at the back of a barbecue blew up. He suffered some pretty bad burns. It was frightening. He’s lucky it only burnt his arm and not his face.”

“It’s such an unfortunate incident,” Ricky Stuart said. “Albert has been very consistent and solid for us with his performances at the start of the season. He won’t be out for long.”

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/lucky- ... 5ffhz.html

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f399627770

Horror NRL injury list laid bare after Raiders young gun ruled out due to barbecue accident: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2024- ... 72d43c554a

Ricky really likes Hoppa from this article. It’s up to Schiller to perform so he is undroppable.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Gee that last sentence sounds ominous…
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Schmoko is fantastic. Tradies across the nation with get around it. Aside from the poetic union I think they could be an excellent combination. Schiller is a try scorer and Timoko is a try creator.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Hoppa has been good IMO. What's he done wrong? I don't think he is a centre but he does a job.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I won’t apologise for liking my outside backs fast, dynamic and creative.

Rather than sluggish, one-paced battering rams.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Fair enough. Hoppa's carries are very good. Average of over 65 post contact meters a game so far. That's better that Joe Tapine.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It will be good to have a backline where all 5 players are an attacking threat
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Compare Hopoate against Timoko this season:

Hoppa:

1 try assist
5 tackle breaks
17 tackles
4 missed tackles
81% tackle efficiency
148 average running metres
445 total running metres

Timoko:

1 try assist
2 line breaks
8 tackle breaks
47 tackles made
4 missed tackles
91% tackle efficiency
174 average running metres
523 running metres

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: March 27, 2024, 9:20 am It will be good to have a backline where all 5 players are an attacking threat
I think they are this week.