2024 NRL Round 3: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2024 NRL Round 3: Teams and Game Day

Post by Botman »

Good back and forth game of footy this one. Both teams looking to use the footy and attack.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Manly lead at halftime
18-16
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Thats a bad call. The Parra player was not even looking to make a tackle , so how can he be impeded
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 24, 2024, 4:39 pm Thats a bad call. The Parra player was not even looking to make a tackle , so how can he be impeded
Compounded by a very dubious penalty to follow up
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Eels got a bit of help with that win.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 24, 2024, 4:39 pm Thats a bad call. The Parra player was not even looking to make a tackle , so how can he be impeded
The call was fine. Jurbo stopped in the line and prevented the defender from having any chance of getting there. It’s an obvious penalty, as per the rules of the game.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

yeh raiders wrote:
The call was fine. Jurbo stopped in the line and prevented the defender from having any chance of getting there. It’s an obvious penalty, as per the rules of the game.
I think we all know that the defender wouldn’t have stopped Turbo, but if they allow that play we will see decoy runners trying to discretely impede defenders instead of trying to avoid them. The onus has to be on the decoy to avoid the defender.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah missing my SC points aside for Turbo, im OK with the call too
Jurbo simply has to run the extra 1-2 metres to get out of the way. The onus HAS to be on the attacker not to impede

It's ugly when you get an instance like that and you have to take a great try away to reward a defender who wasnt even trying, but that's the rule. It's simple - dont stop in the middle of the defensive line.

As an aside, i actually think Tommy T's final pass in that sequence was thrown backwards too. I saw some commentary that it was a forward pass so who cares anyways, but i thought it was thrown backwards
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Botman wrote:Yeah missing my SC points aside for Turbo, im OK with the call too
Jurbo simply has to run the extra 1-2 metres to get out of the way. The onus HAS to be on the attacker not to impede

It's ugly when you get an instance like that and you have to take a great try away to reward a defender who wasnt even trying, but that's the rule. It's simple - dont stop in the middle of the defensive line.

As an aside, i actually think Tommy T's final pass in that sequence was thrown backwards too. I saw some commentary that it was a forward pass so who cares anyways, but i thought it was thrown backwards
That was a great pass.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Yep, that was a great ball from Tommy.

Pigs right, the onus simply needs to be on the defender.

I’m not having a go at anyone on here in particular, but there are certain people who think that we shouldn’t have obstruction calls made on the basis of black / white rules.

There are always calls for “interpretation” and people like Gould will whinge for hours saying “he wouldn’t have got there in time”.

While I respect Gould as a rugby league god, he is a horrible in-game commentator and does a great job in pissing viewers off.

Of course, there are times when I think the defence “wouldn’t have got there” - but who is to say the attacker would’ve maintained the same line, had the gap been smaller (without a defender being impeded)?

Who’s to say the other defenders aren’t making defensive decisions based on one of their teammates being somewhat impeded? In plenty of cases, I’m certain they are.

But I’m not interested in having the video refs guessing and making more of their own judgement calls on what’s going through a players mind.

I don’t want them guessing any more than they already do for penalty tries. Even that has gone a bit too far this season already.

Andrew Johns of all people, would know what eyes-up footy is all about. And how to sense opportunity based on defensive decisions and his peripheral vision.

It’s bizarre that he rarely, if ever, talks about that when a try is disallowed for obstruction.

In fairness, I’m rarely listening to his commentary these days. So I’m happy to be corrected if he has done a 180.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

My issue is the impede part. Where was he impeded. He made no effort to be impeded. If anything he moved into Jurbo .
If that's what they want from the rule , fine but there should be another dozen penalties in game
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Cleary has a hamstring strain and is out 2 to 4 weeks
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Moses looking at 12 weeks , fracture in the foot