Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

I was given some carbon Bondis to try and picked up a weird calf strain.. I was coming back from an ankle sprain and it was likely related to that, but I’ve been really gun shy ever since.

My feelings on carbon shoes are simple - I’m so damn slow it won’t make much of a difference anyway. If I was still doing IRONMAN where I was more concerned about time I would likely have a pair, but with the trail stuff I just love the adventure and the challenge, less worries about time (as long as I get my annual western states qualifier time!)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I generally buy the previous seasons model. Shoes are so expensive so I'm always hunting for specials with Running warehouse having regular sales. I haven't seen many super shoes at a price I'm willing to pay. I've been with Asics for a while but just recently bought a pair of Saucony to check their sizing, as they seem more affordable in general.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gerg wrote:I generally buy the previous seasons model. Shoes are so expensive so I'm always hunting for specials with Running warehouse having regular sales. I haven't seen many super shoes at a price I'm willing to pay. I've been with Asics for a while but just recently bought a pair of Saucony to check their sizing, as they seem more affordable in general.

I'm the same. The Mizuno Wave Inspire are my go to road shoe. I recently picked up two pairs a couple of years out of date for $90 each.

If people are looking for trail shoes, give the Tarkine Trail Devils a go. They are a reasonably new Aussie brand and the shoe is recyclable. I wore them for Kosci (a pretty decent test) and couldn't fault them. They're website is 40% off at the moment.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Doc: Have your 5 years on the trails been for anything other than personal preference? I'm more asking about for reduced impact on joints and muscles? Are you doing any road running in prep for Canberra? What's the time needed for Comrades? Do you have a personal target outside that?

I get what Ross is saying about being able to train more in super shoes, it makes sense. My thinking leading up to Canberra has been to get my legs conditioned in normal shoes so race day is easier. I'm happy with my scheduled training distances and since I only run twice a week, I'm not sure if the faster recovery aspect means much for me. This is food for thought though

Coastal: You're gonna do Western States?? What kind of qualifier do you need for that? I presume you then go into a ballot due to the popularity?

I've been running in zero drop Altras for road, trail and off trail for about 5 years now. I was a little worried about the 4mm drop of my Alphaflys but for the short run they were fine. Actually my gripe with them is how narrow they are. Altras are known for their width. I have wide feet naturally and have bunyuns so the Alphaflys feel super narrow. My big and adjacent toes definitely rubbed so will prob use bandaids for race day
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I just prefer the trails. Love being out in the bush away from crowds. Love that the running is broken up from different terrains. And I think that I'm much less sore on longer distances on trail than road, and it's probably better for my joints. But yes I'll need to pivot to roads for Canberra. Will probably do a bit of trail in the lead up to Comrades for the hill training. Comrades has several different medals based on time. Was looking at them today. I think that the Bill Rowan Medal for under 9 hours is within my reach, but realistically the next medal up is a bit too quick for me to grab.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 25, 2023, 9:30 pm I just prefer the trails. Love being out in the bush away from crowds. Love that the running is broken up from different terrains. And I think that I'm much less sore on longer distances on trail than road, and it's probably better for my joints. But yes I'll need to pivot to roads for Canberra. Will probably do a bit of trail in the lead up to Comrades for the hill training. Comrades has several different medals based on time. Was looking at them today. I think that the Bill Rowan Medal for under 9 hours is within my reach, but realistically the next medal up is a bit too quick for me to grab.
Have you read the book ‘rise of the ultra runner’? Great part in there about the history of comrades.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: December 25, 2023, 9:30 pm I just prefer the trails. Love being out in the bush away from crowds. Love that the running is broken up from different terrains. And I think that I'm much less sore on longer distances on trail than road, and it's probably better for my joints. But yes I'll need to pivot to roads for Canberra. Will probably do a bit of trail in the lead up to Comrades for the hill training. Comrades has several different medals based on time. Was looking at them today. I think that the Bill Rowan Medal for under 9 hours is within my reach, but realistically the next medal up is a bit too quick for me to grab.
Have you read the book ‘rise of the ultra runner’? Great part in there about the history of comrades.
No I haven't. Thanks for the tip, I'll get hold of it.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 26, 2023, 7:57 am
Coastalraider wrote:
No I haven't. Thanks for the tip, I'll get hold of it.
Probably my favourite running book. Covers a runner/journo journey from marathoner to ultra, and researching and participating in nearly every type of ultra on his journey to utmb. Track, trail, multi day, comrades, hell of a story. I listen to it as an audio book during races sometimes in the hard moments.

He also went to Kenya and Japan for 6-12 months windows to immerse in marathoning (running with the Kenyans) and Ekiden (way of the runner) scenes to write books.

I recommend all 3.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Booked in today for an ultrasound on the shoulder I had a reco on 6 or 7 years ago. Had a nothing moment on my mtb about 5 weeks ago flared and hasn't settled so I'm expecting a tear of some description.
Sold my bike to stop temptation but finding the gym boring, Convict100 in May so I'll have to dig up some motivation quick smart.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Oh ****

I just got selected for UTMB.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:Oh ****

Awesome. You weren't silly enough to apply for the miler were you? I was tempted to register but looking at a few Asian races instead. Best of luck with your training.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gerg wrote: January 16, 2024, 11:52 pm

Awesome. You weren't silly enough to apply for the miler were you? I was tempted to register but looking at a few Asian races instead. Best of luck with your training.

No point travelling all that way to do half the race..🤦‍♂️
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:

No point travelling all that way to do half the race..Image
Outstanding! Unbelievable!

This year?

So jealous.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: January 17, 2024, 4:03 pm
Coastalraider wrote:

This year?

So jealous.
Yep, this year - training just got serious!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: January 17, 2024, 4:03 pm
Coastalraider wrote:

This year?

So jealous.
Yep, this year - training just got serious!
****!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If you haven't seen them already. Really enjoyable footage of the course and event. He has some really cool videos on YouTube.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gerg wrote: January 17, 2024, 11:06 pm If you haven't seen them already. Really enjoyable footage of the course and event. He has some really cool videos on YouTube.

Cheers mate, this is going on today!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Oh wow! Congrats Coastal! And godspeed UTMB is almost like unattainable bucket list material even for most of us in the endurance game. Conquest of Paradise, some might say! Will very keenly await your race report.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Oh I'm considering whether I can swing enough leave to go for the Spartan Ultra World Champs in Morzine, France in July

I'll be there later in the month for the Olympics so if I did Morzine, I'd just stay over there till the Olympics, which would make it a very long time away, so not sure it's doable. Or if I want to train that hard for that much longer

Gotta make a decision soon tho

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

EJ wrote:Oh I'm considering whether I can swing enough leave to go for the Spartan Ultra World Champs in Morzine, France in July

I'll be there later in the month for the Olympics so if I did Morzine, I'd just stay over there till the Olympics, which would make it a very long time away, so not sure it's doable. Or if I want to train that hard for that much longer

Gotta make a decision soon tho

What event are you competing in at the Olympics? Image
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Pivoting to a more traditional road runner style training program. Building up my Saturday long run. Did 21km this morning. Man it was humid. It was a real battle. A long way to go.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

you fellas are awesome.

I'm back training on the bike, my shoulder issues turned out best case scenario of bursitis and arthritis in the ac joint so only required a steroid injection (downside was he hit something most likely kevlar from previous reco and had 3 goes to get it done ).

Convict100 has a course change so the 44km is now 48km with extended climb, I'm doing 1hr bike with 15min rower twice a week in the gym plus 32km ride loop twice a week. The 3kg I put on over Xmas is gone and results improving.

Edrick The Entertainer
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Get amongst it Bony. Good work.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Parkrun welcomes its one millionth participant in Australia this weekend. It is a wonderful thing is parkrun.

Parkrun milestone with one millionth runner expected to cross finish line: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-27/ ... /103389394
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Just registered for the Jeju 50. My wife has to wait the 48 hours until it opens up. Very excited to be doing a run with her in her home country. Should be a great experience for both of us.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gerg wrote:Just registered for the Jeju 50. My wife has to wait the 48 hours until it opens up. Very excited to be doing a run with her in her home country. Should be a great experience for both of us.

It looks stunning mate. Decent amount of elevation. Will be a challenge.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So .... and I guess I'm stupid for not realising this ... @Coastalraider ... but I've registered for the 50k and I'm sure I read that registering for the 50k or 100k, runners with running stones got priority entry but after 48 hours it was opened up to the public to register? But apparently to register for the 50k race you need to run a UTMB event prior, 'more than 20k'. So what sort of Bull pyramid scheme is this? I don't get how this attracts new runners to the sport? Particularly if runners, and I know lots of runners travel internationally for races, are committing to incorporating running events into their holiday or travel plans.

So my wife has been working her **** off, training harder than me. I've registered for the 50k on my stupid assumptions, but now we're not able to run together unless we travel to another overseas location to run the requisite 20k race, which she could do blindfolded. Or go to southern Thailand to a zone which is 'reconsider your need to travel' to get that qualifying distance? No wonder people are pissed at UTMB.

Rant over.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Gerg did you mention you are living OS at the moment?

I've started my ramp towards May for the convict100, new bike day last Friday a half price scalpel ht carbon 4, I got out and did 4x 20km rides in the last 6 days struggling a bit with shoulder bursitis as the cortisone wears off. Side note, cortisone injection they had a 3 goes to get it was no fun.

Running at cricket no issues fitness wise just the knee blew up again, last game of the season on synthetic I wore my volleys and that was a poor option. Going to try doing a 5km run twice a week on my local footy field see how I go in proper shoes with a good knee brace.

now 18mths on from gastric sleeve, maintaining 92kg and not a single regret. Isotonic gels are a godsend in the heat.

Edrick The Entertainer
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gerg wrote:So .... and I guess I'm stupid for not realising this ... @Coastalraider ... but I've registered for the 50k and I'm sure I read that registering for the 50k or 100k, runners with running stones got priority entry but after 48 hours it was opened up to the public to register? But apparently to register for the 50k race you need to run a UTMB event prior, 'more than 20k'. So what sort of Bull pyramid scheme is this? I don't get how this attracts new runners to the sport? Particularly if runners, and I know lots of runners travel internationally for races, are committing to incorporating running events into their holiday or travel plans.

So my wife has been working her **** off, training harder than me. I've registered for the 50k on my stupid assumptions, but now we're not able to run together unless we travel to another overseas location to run the requisite 20k race, which she could do blindfolded. Or go to southern Thailand to a zone which is 'reconsider your need to travel' to get that qualifying distance? No wonder people are pissed at UTMB.

Rant over.

That's bizarre. I've done a stack of UTMB events and there have been no such constraints. Run Larapinta had a qualification, and so does Comrades. Is it particularly remote in parts of the 50km?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:Gerg did you mention you are living OS at the moment?

I've started my ramp towards May for the convict100, new bike day last Friday a half price scalpel ht carbon 4, I got out and did 4x 20km rides in the last 6 days struggling a bit with shoulder bursitis as the cortisone wears off. Side note, cortisone injection they had a 3 goes to get it was no fun.

Running at cricket no issues fitness wise just the knee blew up again, last game of the season on synthetic I wore my volleys and that was a poor option. Going to try doing a 5km run twice a week on my local footy field see how I go in proper shoes with a good knee brace.

now 18mths on from gastric sleeve, maintaining 92kg and not a single regret. Isotonic gels are a godsend in the heat.

It's been about 12 months o/s. Great experience for the family.

Scalpel? I've been out of the mtn bike scene for a long time but they're a really respectable bike. I have three nice bikes which haven't been used in 5 years. I'd sell but the used market isn't good, so I just hang them in the garage and maybe my daughters will use them in a few years?

I imagine biking would be similar but a decent rule of thumb in running is to increase your weekly total distance by 10% a week until it's time to taper.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:
gerg wrote:So .... and I guess I'm stupid for not realising this ... @Coastalraider ... but I've registered for the 50k and I'm sure I read that registering for the 50k or 100k, runners with running stones got priority entry but after 48 hours it was opened up to the public to register? But apparently to register for the 50k race you need to run a UTMB event prior, 'more than 20k'. So what sort of Bull pyramid scheme is this? I don't get how this attracts new runners to the sport? Particularly if runners, and I know lots of runners travel internationally for races, are committing to incorporating running events into their holiday or travel plans.

Rant over.

That's bizarre. I've done a stack of UTMB events and there have been no such constraints. Run Larapinta had a qualification, and so does Comrades. Is it particularly remote in parts of the 50km?
It's a heritage site right next to a city. It's totally bizarre. How do you attract people to the sport if they can't enter the distance they want to? With a few months of consistent training almost anybody in the world could do a 50k. It has a 13 hour cut off. You could walk the entire route in 13 hours. Under 4 km an hour. Anyway I'm the type of person that has a whinge but then gets on with it, so I'll come up with a solution. It's just part of achieving your goals - to overcome the challenges that are placed on your path.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gerg wrote:
bonehead wrote:Gerg did you mention you are living OS at the moment?

It's been about 12 months o/s. Great experience for the family.

Scalpel? I've been out of the mtn bike scene for a long time but they're a really respectable bike. I have three nice bikes which haven't been used in 5 years. I'd sell but the used market isn't good, so I just hang them in the garage and maybe my daughters will use them in a few years?

I imagine biking would be similar but a decent rule of thumb in running is to increase your weekly total distance by 10% a week until it's time to taper.

cannondale scalpel, nice piece of carbon fibre goodness.
did 31km today, nasty in the heat didn't try to Pb anything but did a couple of nice segments on strava. Actually drank 1.5L of protein water on my ride which I never do.

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gerg wrote: March 10, 2024, 1:12 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:

Rant over.

It's a heritage site right next to a city. It's totally bizarre. How do you attract people to the sport if they can't enter the distance they want to? With a few months of consistent training almost anybody in the world could do a 50k. It has a 13 hour cut off. You could walk the entire route in 13 hours. Under 4 km an hour. Anyway I'm the type of person that has a whinge but then gets on with it, so I'll come up with a solution. It's just part of achieving your goals - to overcome the challenges that are placed on your path.

That doesn’t sound right at all.. it’s a licensed race not an ‘owned’ event, but should be covered by the normal structure. Can you DM me where you saw this or where the info came from?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Health and fitness

Post by Sid »

First week of the fire recruitment course down and we had our fitness testing yesterday.
My fitness is towards the lower end compared to the rest of the squad, but I was around where I expected to be and passed the beep test which is the test that counts most. Was happy with how I went for what my usual abilities are.
Strengths were beep test 9.10 (was gasping from the 7’s onwards) and plank 4:06. Other tests were pull-ups(more like ring rows), forward jump, agility and push ups. At least now I know what else is on the test and how the scoring system works for next time.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Good luck Sid. You've been at this for a few years now. I really hope you can crack it.