37%

Total votes: 27

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: 2024 Rd 3 v Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Ultima »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: March 19, 2024, 4:19 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 19, 2024, 4:16 pm Fans criticising at every chance they get. We're sitting 2-0 on top of the competition. 4 of the last 5 finals series, looking like we will get to another finals series this season. In a transition year might I add. Yet our fans take every opportunity to bag selections and pontificate like they know more than the combined football IQ of the entire raiders NRL coaching staff, which consists of 1000's of games worth of coaching experience. It's honestly baffling the ignorance of some.

Are you fans or are you just people who never got anywhere in your own life so you jump on and bag people to make yourselves feel important?
And I will continue to slag off Guler any chance I get until he gives me reason not to. You can still win games and make objectively poor team selections.
This, just because you're winning doesn't mean the coach is making all the right choices. We could be winning better with a better team selection maybe?

We have also beaten the Knights and Tigers, hardly something to start buying grand final tickets over...

That game against the Tigers was our biggest win since round 10 in 2022 (we didn't win a game by more than twelve last year from memory)... TWENTY MONTHS and our biggest win was against the back to back wooden spooners on their first game of the season (so less match fitness than us), suddenly we have to all bow down and kiss the coaches feet? PLEASE! Stuart can get some credit when we win some games in a row DUE to his decisions, not in spite of!
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I cant understand how Hosking get dropped from starting. The guy was the best second rower in the round across the entire comp with a solid first game too. He is an absolute gun.

Credit where it's due for coaching staff picking him up. Clearly a winner, I just hope he starts the game. I'm not a fan of making room for sentimental or emotional selections. He deserves to be starting on friday against the Warriors.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: March 19, 2024, 4:24 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 19, 2024, 3:55 pm
Finchy wrote: March 19, 2024, 3:51 pm He’s mates with Ricky, of course he’s going to defend anything the man does
You know more than Rick. Pop your number down and I'll make sure he runs his selection, recruitment and retention decisions by you.

You and your online mates bagging Ricky every chance you get from your protected lounge room. Get out and do something if you want to change it.
Not that I think a TLT warrants this kind of action but there was a time where a group of fans did decide to investigate doing something to change it.

Do you know what they discovered? The club has set it self up in a way in which there is absolutely no recourse for a fan or group of fans even air frustrations and have the club listen to them, let alone actually impact change :lol:

So I’d be really eager to know what exactly you expect a fan to do?
Get put, coach your local team. Justin Giteau was coaching in the local competition only a few years ago. Now he is on the full-time NRL staff. If you want to affect change on the club, make a plan to do it. Get good at something other than bagging people (I'm not referring to you BTW) just some who seem to only pipe up when they see a need to bag the club, mainly Ricky.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:lol: the long game! When you don’t have a professional sports career to lean on I reckon that you’re looking at at least 10 years before you’ll get near an NRL coaching gig

But i digress… it’s round 3, most of this this was entirely predictable even if it’s super disappointing. But there is no way you can tell me that 17 man team is either
1. The best team we can field
2. A team picked on performance
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 19, 2024, 4:16 pm Fans criticising at every chance they get. We're sitting 2-0 on top of the competition. 4 of the last 5 finals series, looking like we will get to another finals series this season. In a transition year might I add. Yet our fans take every opportunity to bag selections and pontificate like they know more than the combined football IQ of the entire raiders NRL coaching staff, which consists of 1000's of games worth of coaching experience. It's honestly baffling the ignorance of some.

Are you fans or are you just people who never got anywhere in your own life so you jump on and bag people to make yourselves feel important?
Yep - it’s sad to see.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: March 19, 2024, 3:54 pm Low key I genuinely think the club thinks Horse has another week - he doesn’t need to return via cup. It’s suspension unlike the 36 year old second rower.

Also because I’m still annoyed at the Guler selection…
2022: 76 run metres per game
2023: 87 run metres per game

Career average of 0.83 tackle breaks per game
Career average of 0.5 offloads per game
Career average of 2.2 missed tackles per game

I know he is a bench prop but what am I missing? What is he brining to the team because it isn’t run meters, opportunity, enthusiasm or second phase play. Just reminds of me Dane Tilse getting picked every week
Iskender Kebabs :D
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Knew the Whitehead thing was happening but I’m disappointed that Mariota drops out. He’s our best young prop imo. And what he did at second row as cover on the weekend speaks volumes about his adaptability as a player.

That’s what I’m annoyed at. He needs to be treated better, as does Mooney.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: 2024 Rd 3 v Warriors: Teams and Previews

Post by PNGRaider37 »

PNGRaider37 wrote: March 18, 2024, 7:09 am I doubt Ricky is that stubborn/silly to pick EW this round. Upset balance of winning team. For all those pointing to the Croker 300 thing - he was only brought back in first place because we were losing.
Spoke too soon... nevermind 🙈🙃🤣
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Where is Hors?

Post by Finchy »

Ok, so despite much conjecture and confusion and media reports telling us Horsburgh can't return from suspension until round 4, he's served his 4 games:

Offence committed vs Broncos rnd 26. Suspended 3 weeks, fights it and loses, gets 4 weeks.

Suspended vs Sharks rnd 27
Suspended vs Knights finals wk 1
Suspended vs Knights rnd 1
Suspended vs Tigers rnd 2

Here we are in round 3 and still no sign of Hors. Not named in reserves. Not named on an injury list.

So where is he? Has the club believed the media reports and think he has to sit out another week?

Much like the current Kate Middleton saga, I want proof of life! No photoshops please.

#WhereisHors?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Interestingly, neither Mariota nor Horsburgh are named in the NSW cup side...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 19, 2024, 3:47 pm Gee this place is ridiculous. Why are we going so well to start the season? Because the club, and it's staff, knows what it's doing.

People crying over a team list named on a Tuesday.

Trust the process.

Blaming Ricky for a team named on a Tuesday like he has just dropped a premiership.

1. It's unlikely that's how we will line up - our Tuesday teams are changed about 50% of the time prior to game day.
and 2. Even if it is, trust the coaches that they know what's going on. They have us in a good position right now.
Trust the coach :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
The same coach that had to let the team coach themselves to get out of a form slump? :roflmao
Stop it man.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Re: Where is Hors?

Post by NoMan »

tbh, I think they just chucked the same NSW cup team as last week into the system. It will probably change based on what happens in NZ the rest of the week.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

The team was the most likely but disappointing.

I can handle Cotric over Schiller/others and I understand needing to bring the captain back in despite also thinking he’s not in our best 17 on ability.

But I think a reasonable compromise would’ve been to start Elliott on the bench. This would’ve been a fitting nod to Hosking’s first two games and would also have eased Elliott back from injury.

I’d also have liked to see Ricky drop Guler instead of Ata. I’m far more positive about Guler than most but Ata outperformed him both when given more time in Round 1 after Smithies’ HIA and last round when he got limited minutes.

This selection appears to have been made in preseason with no evaluation of the first two performances.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Also there is no chance Ricky pulls any 'smokescreens'.

Never does. Plays 1-17 in no particular order.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Raiders_Pat wrote: March 19, 2024, 5:13 pm Interestingly, neither Mariota nor Horsburgh are named in the NSW cup side...
Horse can’t play until next week.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

dubby wrote: March 19, 2024, 4:02 pm
kiwi raider wrote: March 19, 2024, 3:24 pm Assume horsburgh will play nsw cup to get minutes under his belt?
That would be my understanding
Imagine being the poor bugger in NSW cup that looks up and sees Horsburgh lining up against him.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Bluesbrother wrote:Fans criticising at every chance they get. We're sitting 2-0 on top of the competition. 4 of the last 5 finals series, looking like we will get to another finals series this season. In a transition year might I add. Yet our fans take every opportunity to bag selections and pontificate like they know more than the combined football IQ of the entire raiders NRL coaching staff, which consists of 1000's of games worth of coaching experience. It's honestly baffling the ignorance of some.

We had this discussion last year. We played lighter weight teams and beat them despite showing clear selection/tactics deficiencies. This argument was trotted out that it’s fine because we’re winning.

Well, we weren’t fine and the naysayers were spot on.

They are again now.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Ruben Daley wrote: March 19, 2024, 5:53 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: March 19, 2024, 5:13 pm Interestingly, neither Mariota nor Horsburgh are named in the NSW cup side...
Why not. He's served his 4 games.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

julian87 wrote: March 19, 2024, 4:57 pm Knew the Whitehead thing was happening but I’m disappointed that Mariota drops out. He’s our best young prop imo. And what he did at second row as cover on the weekend speaks volumes about his adaptability as a player.

That’s what I’m annoyed at. He needs to be treated better, as does Mooney.
Yeah that was the most surprising choice for me.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Raider47 wrote: March 19, 2024, 5:51 pm Also there is no chance Ricky pulls any 'smokescreens'.

Never does. Plays 1-17 in no particular order.
Did he do any with Croker last year? I half remember him moving him to the bench last minute. Might be wrong though.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Watching the replay of Tigers game,

Harsh call on Ata, he did some serious hitups

Hoppa is a Beast, iv always liked him, he tries so hard

As does Saulo, really puts in effort

Savage really earning that wing spot, bulked up, taking some decent hitups, glad to see the rag doll era is fading on him

Guler is very average, not a terrible player

Hosking is a freak, hoping he will get the switch start over Elliot

My concern is when Horse comes back, Guler to drop off, but I hope he doesnt bring his hot head attitude.

Im a tad confident for this Game
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Love that the Raiders camp in NZ early during the week, reminds me of 2019 days they would do that, im sure we will see a table tennis comp going on
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

gangrenous wrote: March 19, 2024, 5:55 pm
Bluesbrother wrote:Fans criticising at every chance they get. We're sitting 2-0 on top of the competition. 4 of the last 5 finals series, looking like we will get to another finals series this season. In a transition year might I add. Yet our fans take every opportunity to bag selections and pontificate like they know more than the combined football IQ of the entire raiders NRL coaching staff, which consists of 1000's of games worth of coaching experience. It's honestly baffling the ignorance of some.

We had this discussion last year. We played lighter weight teams and beat them despite showing clear selection/tactics deficiencies. This argument was trotted out that it’s fine because we’re winning.

Well, we weren’t fine and the naysayers were spot on.

They are again now.
Agreed.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Ruben Daley wrote: March 19, 2024, 5:51 pm The team was the most likely but disappointing.

I can handle Cotric over Schiller/others and I understand needing to bring the captain back in despite also thinking he’s not in our best 17 on ability.

But I think a reasonable compromise would’ve been to start Elliott on the bench. This would’ve been a fitting nod to Hosking’s first two games and would also have eased Elliott back from injury.

I’d also have liked to see Ricky drop Guler instead of Ata. I’m far more positive about Guler than most but Ata outperformed him both when given more time in Round 1 after Smithies’ HIA and last round when he got limited minutes.

This selection appears to have been made in preseason with no evaluation of the first two performances.
Agree with this 100%. I would have preferred Schiller at centre and Whitehead missing out, however I can live with the decisions.

Dropping Mariota to prioritise two out and out fourth string props is nuts to me. I honestly can't think of another club that would play fringe first graders over young talent on the level of Mariota - who is past the level of emerging rookie now, with proven form over 2023 including an outstanding performance in the finals. Other clubs have left former rep players out to prioritise younger talent, while we're having to tolerate these ultra-conservative selections season after season.
Raider47
Jason Croker

Post by Raider47 »

I just cannot believe Mariota being dropped.

Absolutely disgraceful call.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

We are going to come back down to earth with a thud on Friday.

The team picked absolutely stinks.

Things are so positive atm, I don’t know why Ricky has to sabotage us with his team selections like this.

If it is a one off thing you’d accept it but we have years of data which show us that given the choice Ricky will always go for the conservative honest toiler (including veterans and ploders) over the player with a higher ceiling.

Whitehead and Guler in particular should be nowhere near the team this week and Ata and Hosking should not be dropped or demoted to the bench.

Way to burst the bubble Rocky.
Up The Milk
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Rick has coached a lot of NRL games (just ask him).

But his win % is dead on 50% over all that time. From a mathematical point of view - would we be any worse off with a plank of wood in the coach’s chair?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Corey Horsburgh likely to play NSW Cup this week to "get some minutes"

The Canberra Raiders are boosted by the return of their captain, but there wasn't room for a State of Origin star in their bench reshuffle. Corey Horsburgh will likely play NSW Cup against the Warriors on Saturday.

"He's good. He's back this week, I think he's just going to try and get some minutes and grind out some footy," Joe Tapine said. "He's obviously an Origin player, quality player, big part of our pack and once he's back it's just going to make that depth even stronger. We're just scraping to make the team at the moment to be honest, because there's so much depth, and there's more coming back."

Raiders squad: 1. Jordan Rapana, 2. Nick Cotric, 3. Matt Timoko, 4. Albert Hopoate, 5. Xavier Savage, 6. Ethan Strange, 7. Jamal Fogarty, 8. Josh Papali'i, 9. Danny Levi, 10. Joe Tapine, 11. Hudson Young, 12. Elliott Whitehead (c), 13. Morgan Smithies. Interchange: 14. Tom Starling, 15. Emre Guler, 16. Zac Hosking, 17. Pasami Saulo. Reserves: 18. James Schiller, 19. Kaeo Weekes. 20. Ata Mariota, 21. Trey Mooney, 22. Zac Woolford.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Finchy wrote: March 19, 2024, 5:56 pm
https://www.nrl.com/casualty-ward/?comp ... eam=500013
The Ang
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by The Ang »

Going to be even more interesting as to who Stick drops next week to accommodate Hors! Given Guler, Saulo and EW are undroppable
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Guler over Mariota is a crime
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ruben Daley wrote: March 19, 2024, 6:27 pm
It's wrong.
Not sure how it got there but it's wrong
https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/08 ... s-charged/

Hors was suspended after round 26, he was found guilty and suspended 4 games
Round 27, 2023
Week 1 Finals, 2023
Week 1, 2024
Week 2, 2024

He's done his time no idea why he's not playing this week but it's not because he's suspended unless the NRL **** up and he was actually suspended for 5 weeks
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

+ Tapine confirmed in the above article that Horsburgh will be playing NSW cup this week
Raider47
Jason Croker

Post by Raider47 »

Reckon Tapine gets dropped next week so Guler can keep a spot in the team.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Ruben Daley wrote: March 19, 2024, 6:27 pm
https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... 2#p1954232