Steve Walters

Re: 2024 Rd 3 v Warriors: Teams and Previews

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:
Raidernation wrote: March 19, 2024, 1:42 am
Raiders Lim! wrote: March 18, 2024, 10:23 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2024, 9:58 pm
All we got...
We are a small team who likes to fly under the radar so its to be expected.
Do we even have a rivalry with another NRL team.
We should get more than a footnote but we also have to cultivate a media following.
I suspect we probably also create our own reality on some of these things. Ricky is constantly talking us down saying nobody gives any of our players credit for anything. What comes first the chicken or the egg? He’s hardly warm and engaging with the media in press conference. Why would the media decide to be supportive and interested in us?
Billy. The Raiders have had a good start to the season, but you’ve been sadly out of form so far.

Despite what some think, I know you can do better.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Seems like EW will be back this week.

If he, Hors are back and Kris is out we are gonna have a few changes.

Expecting to see Kris, Mariota and Guler drop out from last week's team, with Cotric, Hors and EW in.
Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

GreenMachine wrote: March 19, 2024, 8:05 am I can't believe people around here are entertaining the idea of Whitehead back into the team.....tell me you know nothing about football without telling me.
I think that most people would prefer that he didn't come back in, but the reality is that Ricky Stuart loves Whitehead and will more than likely bring him back in as soon as he's available.

Personally, I'd be happy for Whitehead to play NSW Cup indefinitely, until such time as there's either an injury/suspension to Hosking/Young or Whitehead's form looks superior to theirs. The former will inevitably happen at some stage. The latter is highly unlikely and, IMO, EW hasn't shown enough since 2020 to justify waltzing back into this forward pack. But he will.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: March 19, 2024, 8:20 am
Billy Walker wrote:
All we got...
We should get more than a footnote but we also have to cultivate a media following.
I suspect we probably also create our own reality on some of these things. Ricky is constantly talking us down saying nobody gives any of our players credit for anything. What comes first the chicken or the egg? He’s hardly warm and engaging with the media in press conference. Why would the media decide to be supportive and interested in us?
Billy. The Raiders have had a good start to the season, but you’ve been sadly out of form so far.

What are you confused about now BJ? I agree with others that the Raiders aren’t getting a fair run in the media despite the brilliant start to the season. I do think it is a fair point that to some degree we don’t help ourselves on these things. Our coach is terribly prickly with the media and intent of building a narrative that we are underdogs that nobody cares about. I do fear that if you say something enough it just might come true and perhaps that is the reality we are creating.

PS - I try and explain in smaller words if you like?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

GreenMachine wrote: March 19, 2024, 8:05 am I can't believe people around here are entertaining the idea of Whitehead back into the team.....tell me you know nothing about football without telling me.
It's Team List Tuesday so only hours to wait until Sticky names his side. For those who saw the Raiders fly out to NZ, was EW with them? If so, then I expect Sticky to name him in the team. But for an injured calf, I reckon Sticky would have had EW in the side for Rounds 1 and 2. He has been very loyal to the players who stuck with him, when the likes of John Bateman and George Williams were involved in their fizzled ructions. If EW is fit, Sticky will pick him and he'll play.
denissnowy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 19, 2024, 6:04 am
All we got...
Yeah there is definitely a bit of Ricky creating the narrative by vocalising the reality that has been observed so many times on these pages. That is that the Raiders are not objectively analysed by the rugby league scribes (despite their analyses generally lacking anyway) and dismissed as a result.

RS seems to genuinely loathe the post match pressers with the print/online journos. He is very engaging with the tv coverage though (both pre and post match), but I suspect this is more because it is ex-players asking the questions and therefore he respects them because they've played the game, whereas the scribes generally haven't (so in RS's mind - what would they know). The commentary teams and "analysts" don't generally ask tough questions either.

As a side note, I wholeheartedly agree with those that have observed that the general coverage and analysis of NRL is pretty awful.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote:I suspect we probably also create our own reality on some of these things. Ricky is constantly talking us down saying nobody gives any of our players credit for anything. What comes first the chicken or the egg? He’s hardly warm and engaging with the media in press conference. Why would the media decide to be supportive and interested in us?

Cut the kid some slack, BJ. The guy really struggles when the team is going well, I'm certain he'll come back into his own once we hit a poorer patch of our season.
Last edited by The Nickman on March 19, 2024, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Much of the media is focused on Roosters, Souths, STG and Tigers. In QLD, its mostly Broncos.

You never really hear much about us, Titans or Warriors, for example.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: March 19, 2024, 9:12 am
Billy Walker wrote:I suspect we probably also create our own reality on some of these things. Ricky is constantly talking us down saying nobody gives any of our players credit for anything. What comes first the chicken or the egg? He’s hardly warm and engaging with the media in press conference. Why would the media decide to be supportive and interested in us?

Cut the kid some slack, BJ. The guy really struggles when the team is going well, I'm certain he'll come back into his own once we hit a poorer patch of our season.
Hey if it isn’t the one emerging from the shadows to try and pass comment on me once again. Imagine that you hide behind a block button to engage with someone who calls out your bullying behaviour and nonsense for what it is. Sad to see :nooo
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Raider47 wrote: March 19, 2024, 8:41 am Seems like EW will be back this week.

If he, Hors are back and Kris is out we are gonna have a few changes.

Expecting to see Kris, Mariota and Guler drop out from last week's team, with Cotric, Hors and EW in.
Horse straight in for guler.

EW can continue recovering/ play NSW cup / or come off the bench but he sure as **** should not be replacing hosking. If you are going to replace a second rower it should be hudson young, but he also is a bit of a ricky favourite too.. and hes a **** better then EW.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Interested to know why people think Cotric should be selected this week over Schiller. Schiller is absolutely tearing it up at NSW cup level and couldn't have really done much more to put his hand up imo. He was unlucky to miss out in round 1 but didn't sook and had a proper crack in NSW cup which is exactly what you want to see from a guy in his position.
Raider47
Jason Croker

Post by Raider47 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: March 19, 2024, 10:14 am Interested to know why people think Cotric should be selected this week over Schiller. Schiller is absolutely tearing it up at NSW cup level and couldn't have really done much more to put his hand up imo. He was unlucky to miss out in round 1 but didn't sook and had a proper crack in NSW cup which is exactly what you want to see from a guy in his position.
Not sure it's a matter of thinking Cotric deserves selection over Schiller, in fact I reckon most want to see Schiller.

I just think Ricky is more inclined to stick to what he knows. And that's what happened in Rd 1.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Schiller is an absolute lock.
He's basically running around like an international against under 12's.

His game elevation this year is next level. More Jimmy. Less Nic.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Raiders_Pat wrote:Interested to know why people think Cotric should be selected this week over Schiller. Schiller is absolutely tearing it up at NSW cup level and couldn't have really done much more to put his hand up imo. He was unlucky to miss out in round 1 but didn't sook and had a proper crack in NSW cup which is exactly what you want to see from a guy in his position.
Spot on about Schiller and spot on about making it all about performance when a player goes back to NSW cup.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Raider47 wrote: March 19, 2024, 10:37 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: March 19, 2024, 10:14 am Interested to know why people think Cotric should be selected this week over Schiller. Schiller is absolutely tearing it up at NSW cup level and couldn't have really done much more to put his hand up imo. He was unlucky to miss out in round 1 but didn't sook and had a proper crack in NSW cup which is exactly what you want to see from a guy in his position.
Not sure it's a matter of thinking Cotric deserves selection over Schiller, in fact I reckon most want to see Schiller.

I just think Ricky is more inclined to stick to what he knows. And that's what happened in Rd 1.
Stuart spoke about how tough the call between Cotric and Hoppa was for him
Cotric was 18th man and wasnt afforded the opportunity to tear up NSW Cup...

If it were my call, i'd move Hoppa to centre and bring in Asomua... Hoppa on the winger and Schiller at centre is also a perfectly fine answer... but i cant see Stuart having either jump Cotric at this point
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

With Johnson kicking for the Warriors, Sticky would want players proven capable of defusing kicks in the wing and full back positions. He could leave (the now leaping) Hoppa on one wing with Xav and Rapa and bring Schiller into center. Or he could put Hoppa at center and bring in a fresh winger. If this is the choice then I reckon it would be Cotric because he is generally safe under the high ball. I get the thinking given the Warriors have a very experienced 3/4 line who will contest every kick put up. Only a few more hours and we will know.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

A little concerned as to what’s happened to our good mate Matthew waddle bum, a.k.a. question
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

The warriors will run 2 lead runners at strange all day long and if u don't have a centre who can make good decisions than it's trouble. My guess is cotric but this is one where it will come down to how they train through the week.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: March 19, 2024, 12:21 pm A little concerned as to what’s happened to our good mate Matthew waddle bum, a.k.a. question
He's now posting as "off" and just stumbling around calling everything woke.
Think he's proper cooked now :(
skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

Azza wrote: March 19, 2024, 12:21 pm A little concerned as to what’s happened to our good mate Matthew waddle bum, a.k.a. question
He's still around? Wow.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Raidernation wrote: March 19, 2024, 12:35 pm The warriors will run 2 lead runners at strange all day long and if u don't have a centre who can make good decisions than it's trouble. My guess is cotric but this is one where it will come down to how they train through the week.
I have concerns both ways - with both Schiller and Hoppa as centre and Hoppa as winger.

With Schiller, he's a very good attacking player and adds pace to our team and I like him a lot. He should be in the team for Hoppa but that's another debate. He's killed it in reserve grade, but I'm not confident that he will make good decisions in defence at centre against the Warriors, particularly the way that they attack on the right hand side. It's a big step up marking Rooco Berry compared to Ryan Garner (brother of Luke).

The winger needs to be a good defender as well to stay out on DWZ as Johnson loves the long ball to him when the opposing winger comes in to help with Rocco Berry. We also compress our defence.

If Hoppa is the centre, we saw how Jarrod Croker was torn apart in both games v Warriors on the Warriors' right hand side with his lack of pace.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I'd prefer Cotric to Schiller at this stage, merely to his defensive decisions. Schiller carved up in the trials and in Cup, and if he is selected I would not complain.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Ang
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by The Ang »

What’s the bet Mariota is one of the unlucky blokes to make way 🙄
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

2024 Rd 3 NRL teams: Raiders v Warriors

Canberra Raiders v New Zealand Warriors
Friday 22 March, 6:00pm AEDT
Rugby League Park, Christchurch
Tickets: Sold out
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio coverage: ABC, Mix106.3, 2CC

The Canberra Raiders have named their team for the Round 3 match against the New Zealand Warriors in Christchurch on Friday night.

Captain Elliott Whitehead returns to the starting team in the second row, with Zac Hosking moving to the interchange bench. The shift of Hosking to the bench also sees Ata Mariota drop out of the 17 and onto the extended bench. Sebastian Kris has been ruled out for this week’s fixture due to NRL concussion protocols, which sees Nick Cotric return to the side on the wing and Albert Hopoate shifting back into the centres.

Canberra Raiders media

Canberra Raiders

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matt Timoko
4. Albert Hopoate
5. Xavier Savage
6. Ethan Strange
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Danny Levi
10. Joe Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead (c)
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Zac Hosking
17. Pasami Saulo

18. James Schiller
19. Kaeo Weekes
20. Ata Mariota
21. Trey Mooney
22. Zac Woolford

Injury/Suspension
Sebastian Kris, Concussion (Round 4)
Corey Harawira-Naera, Seizure (TBA)

New Zealand Warriors

1. Taine Tuaupiki
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. Rocco Berry
4. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
5. Marcelo Montoya
6. Luke Metcalf
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Wayde Egan
10. Mitchell Barnett
11. Jackson Ford
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Tohu Harris

14. Freddy Lussick
15. Tom Ale
16. Bunty Afoa
17. Dylan Walker

18. Adam Pompey
20. Jazz Tevaga
21. Te Maire Martin
22. Jacob Laban
23. Chanel Harris-Tavita

Injury/Suspension
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Hamstring (Round 4-5)
Leka Halasima, Ankle (Round 6)
Marata Nuikore, Foot (TBC)
Demitric Sifakula, Knee (Mid Season)

Officials

Referee: Liam Kennedy
Touch judges: Chris Sutton, Paki Parkinson
Video referee: Matt Noyen

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLWarriorsRaiders
The Greenhouse score update service
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Au contrare, I reckon Sticky lives for the post matchers. A soap box for him to set the tone for the following week's mindset and for him to highlight the inequities of media coverage and NRL treatment.
Whether that inequality is conscious or unconscious is sort of by-the-by – these are the cards we have been dealt and rather than have a defeated mindset, Stick uses it as a rallying point.

That's not to say he can't/shouldn't have a whinge about it in the hopes that there is light shed on it, and have the playing field made a little more level.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

The Ang wrote: March 19, 2024, 2:23 pm What’s the bet Mariota is one of the unlucky blokes to make way 🙄
Highly doubt it.
Raider47
Jason Croker

Post by Raider47 »

Awful team.

Mariota dropped, EW starting.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Cotric wing hosking bench
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Team is in. This place is going to explode.

EW in, Hosking to the bench.

Cotric on the wing.

Ata dropped.

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Lol
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Hate it
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Just when you start to get excited.......... worst possible team that could have been named.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

2024 Rd 3 v Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Where is horse
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I can't mentally process this team so will wait for game day.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Cotric in on the wing. EW in. No mention of HorsPower. Hosking bench in place of Ata. Guler still there?

So glad Hosking did not get the Left Right Out position. Can cover both back row and center.
Last edited by RedRaider on March 19, 2024, 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.