Raiders player signing speculation 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by President Clinton »

julian87 wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:29 am I don’t rate him as highly as others but there could be an opportunity to snake Latu Fainu and have an each way bet on the 2 NSW under 20s halves from last season I reckon.

Scott Fulton got the ass from Tigers (signed all 3 of the brothers there). He’s been jumped by Galvin and seems the 4th choice half at Wests. And will remain that way next year when Luai replaces Sezer. You’d think Sullivan gets afforded plenty of opportunities having been signed for 500k too

Reports were they gave him a ridiculous contract (similar to Sullivan) so if he doesn’t sniff first grade he’s bit of a salary cap issue for them as well.

Could all be hot air, he may be their #6 by round 6 but it’s an interesting situation in the context of Fulton and Luai happening post his signing.
How the **** did Sullivan get $500,000?

Second coming of Richie Williams. Absolute battler.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

President Clinton wrote: March 13, 2024, 11:39 am
julian87 wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:29 am I don’t rate him as highly as others but there could be an opportunity to snake Latu Fainu and have an each way bet on the 2 NSW under 20s halves from last season I reckon.

Scott Fulton got the ass from Tigers (signed all 3 of the brothers there). He’s been jumped by Galvin and seems the 4th choice half at Wests. And will remain that way next year when Luai replaces Sezer. You’d think Sullivan gets afforded plenty of opportunities having been signed for 500k too

Reports were they gave him a ridiculous contract (similar to Sullivan) so if he doesn’t sniff first grade he’s bit of a salary cap issue for them as well.

Could all be hot air, he may be their #6 by round 6 but it’s an interesting situation in the context of Fulton and Luai happening post his signing.

Well Hooper reported last year that both of the stronger Fainu brothers are on an average of 500k a year for 4 years. That’s the astonishing one.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
President Clinton
Dean Lance

julian87 wrote: March 13, 2024, 12:21 pm

Well Hooper reported last year that both of the stronger Fainu brothers are on an average of 500k a year for 4 years. That’s the astonishing one.
Not only does that sound like a lot of money for unproven talent, they both seem like bad apples from everything I’ve read.

Very tiger-like signing!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: March 13, 2024, 12:21 pm

That's right up there with the Raiders worst overs long term deals. I don't know what's worse- chewing up overs cap and clogging up FG with dead wood or never making FG at all...
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I can't bag them for that deal, other than maybe its a year too long. They were rated as two of the top four or five players in their age groups and in the two highest value positions. Fair to say that other players are ahead of them now but it isn't that much different to signing Sanders on the reported 500k+.

Beats paying Douhei's and Mbye types 900k+.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah a little throwing stones in glass houses going on here. I think posters would be shocked to know what Chevy, Strange and soon Sanders will be on long before they've earnt it
They're making bets the same as we are.
President Clinton
Dean Lance

Botman wrote: March 13, 2024, 6:32 pm Yeah a little throwing stones in glass houses going on here. I think posters would be shocked to know what Chevy, Strange and soon Sanders will be on long before they've earnt it
I suppose you can mount the case that Chevy, Strange and Sanders could turn out to be solid to excellent FG players.

You can’t mount that argument for Sullivan. He’s hopeless.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

President Clinton wrote: March 13, 2024, 6:58 pm
Botman wrote: March 13, 2024, 6:32 pm Yeah a little throwing stones in glass houses going on here. I think posters would be shocked to know what Chevy, Strange and soon Sanders will be on long before they've earnt it
I suppose you can mount the case that Chevy, Strange and Sanders could turn out to be solid to excellent FG players.

You can’t mount that argument for Sullivan. He’s hopeless.
Chances are at least one of those three are going be on pretty good money and not be a FG level footballer. And we'll be where they are with that contract, if he indeed stinks.
They're swinging for fences, as they should. And they're not content to take one swing, they swung again with the brothers Fainu
I got no problems with it. My philosophy is you turn over every stone in the pursuit of a organisation changing half and you don't stop stepping to the plate and swinging until you hit a home run.
It's the only way to have sustained success in the NRL. I got no issue with it.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Worked for the Panthers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

generational halves are the key to premierships unless you can surround a top half with generational spine players like Brisbane or Souths did with Lockyer and GI

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don’t rate Bud Sullivan but the carry on in here about how horrid he is is rich given who are halves are.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
President Clinton
Dean Lance

julian87 wrote: March 14, 2024, 7:29 am I don’t rate Bud Sullivan but the carry on in here about how horrid he is is rich given who are halves are.
Of course we should only cast opinions on players if they are worse than our own :shock:

Basically means we are unable to rate any hooker, fullback or backrower in the competition. 
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

NoMan wrote: March 13, 2024, 4:22 pm I can't bag them for that deal, other than maybe its a year too long. They were rated as two of the top four or five players in their age groups and in the two highest value positions. Fair to say that other players are ahead of them now but it isn't that much different to signing Sanders on the reported 500k+.

Beats paying Douhei's and Mbye types 900k+.
With a few exceptions the Tigers recruitment hasn't been very successful in recent seasons. To use a rocket analogy they Shoot for the Stars and hit the fence, far too often. But I don't see much choice for them. They are looking for some diamonds in the rough to add polish to. They have Api at hooker and the developing Bula at FB. Next year they will have Luai in the halves. They could look to England for a seasoned half back and have a very good spine next year. Maybe the wraps on Galvin will come to fruition in the halves.

They have to improve on their 675 points conceded in 2023 as a must fix.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Can the Tigers average 38 points a game?

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

julian87 wrote: March 14, 2024, 7:29 am I don’t rate Bud Sullivan but the carry on in here about how horrid he is is rich given who are halves are.
What - an up and coming gun and an established first grader? I think our halves are ahead of the Tigers by a country mile. The weekend was evidence to that.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Sandon Smith is a player I'd be making enquiries about. Could see him develop into an elite 9 or 7.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:31 pm Sandon Smith is a player I'd be making enquiries about. Could see him develop into an elite 9 or 7.
if he can play nine consider me interested.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:35 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:31 pm Sandon Smith is a player I'd be making enquiries about. Could see him develop into an elite 9 or 7.
To be fair you'd be interested in an old boot if it could play 9.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yes. Yes I would :lol:
President Clinton
Dean Lance

Bluesbrother wrote: March 19, 2024, 2:47 pm
What - an up and coming gun and an established first grader? I think our halves are ahead of the Tigers by a country mile. The weekend was evidence to that.
Sullivan punted to the bench after one (horrendous) game.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

I hope we're still interested in Fifita. Des hasn't had an impact as I thought he would. He would still be a huge acquisition for us.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:37 pm
Botman wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:35 pm
To be fair you'd be interested in an old boot if it could play 9.
The bot is an old school 9.

He'd love a shot at being our 9!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 23, 2024, 3:35 pm I hope we're still interested in Fifita. Des hasn't had an impact as I thought he would. He would still be a huge acquisition for us.
The Titans have been absolutely awful
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

dubby wrote: March 23, 2024, 3:48 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 23, 2024, 3:35 pm I hope we're still interested in Fifita. Des hasn't had an impact as I thought he would. He would still be a huge acquisition for us.
It's abysmal. Something in the water on the Gold Coast. If David wants to do anything in his career he should depart.
President Clinton
Dean Lance

Bluesbrother wrote: March 23, 2024, 3:51 pm
It's abysmal. Something in the water on the Gold Coast. If David wants to do anything in his career he should depart.
Not just this iteration of the Titans.

I don’t think it’s a viable location for a football team. Such a transient place where football teams go to fold.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Odds on Hasler being the first coach sacked his first year into a 3 year deal? Maybe Demetriou actually...
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
denissnowy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

President Clinton wrote: March 23, 2024, 5:43 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 23, 2024, 3:51 pm
Not just this iteration of the Titans.

I don’t think it’s a viable location for a football team. Such a transient place where football teams go to fold.
Not just footy teams. It's nickname of the graveyard is well earned. It's where sports teams go to die.

Gold Coast graveyard: Where sport teams go to die: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/other-s ... nc6enfrvpf
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

As far as I'm concerned he can go forge a career someplace else. At some point we need to say enough is enough. I rate him, but found his comments that he was never really considered leaving the titans to be highly disrespectful. I want the club stocked with blokes that want to be at our club. It's clear he doesn't fit the bill
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Finchy wrote:Odds on Hasler being the first coach sacked his first year into a 3 year deal? Maybe Demetriou actually...
Will be harder now Tino has been ruled out for the rest of the season.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Demetriou will be gone Rd 10. Don't be surprised to see Bennett return
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Although I do still think Fifita would add to our team, after seeing the performance of Hosking over the past few weeks I think there's less of a need to upgrade second row as compared to hooker.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

It’s way overdue we let Fifita go.

We offered him a truck load of cash and he turned it down.

It’s done, move on.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

-PJ- wrote: March 25, 2024, 1:02 pm It’s way overdue we let Fifita go.

It’s done, move on.
Reminds me of Jim Carrey to the pretty girl he was chasing Lauren Holly in Dumb and Dumber: "So You're Telling Me There's A Chance?" Try an indirect way of trying to sign his partner Shaylee Bent for NRLW for 2-3 years. If she agrees, then work on Fifita. The guy is wasting his talent on the GC.

I also think we need to look in the UK again - Newcastle signed Kai Pearce Paul and he already looks like a very good player
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 25, 2024, 1:39 pm
-PJ- wrote: March 25, 2024, 1:02 pm It’s way overdue we let Fifita go.

It’s done, move on.
Reminds me of Jim Carrey to the pretty girl he was chasing Lauren Holly in Dumb and Dumber: "So You're Telling Me There's A Chance?" Try an indirect way of trying to sign his partner Shaylee Bent for NRLW for 2-3 years. If she agrees, then work on Fifita. The guy is wasting his talent on the GC.

I also think we need to look in the UK again - Newcastle signed Kai Pearce Paul and he already looks like a very good player
Brilliant film.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Mitch Moses out 6-12 weeks

This could hamper our endeavours to land Sanders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk