Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: 2024 Rd 2 v Tigers: Teams and Previews

Post by Crusader »

BadnMean wrote: March 11, 2024, 3:40 pm
Crusader wrote: March 11, 2024, 2:21 pm
BadnMean wrote: March 11, 2024, 1:46 pm
Crusader wrote: March 10, 2024, 5:49 pm so watching Sunday Night with Matty Johns, and see the suspended JWH playing NSW cup, I had no idea suspended players can player NSW cup, why didnt we give kris some game time under his belt, which now leads me to thinking he wont return in 1st grade and will start at cup
The fact he didn't play cup when suspended makes it more likely he will next play cup footy?

That's some 5d chess right there.
haha surely your pulling my leg yeah? you Really cant connect the dots here?
Hmm I just think you are doing this when joining dots

oh no!! you were being serious :lol: :lol: :lol:
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Tigers will stun us early but Canberra will handle it and win, Raiders 26-16
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Commentary has not much mentioned our kick chase against Knights. There was the winning of the game. Replicate that and they will win again, easily.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cranky Old Man wrote: March 11, 2024, 8:38 pm Commentary has not much mentioned our kick chase against Knights. There was the winning of the game. Replicate that and they will win again, easily.
They talked about it a bit on the Sunday Footy Show. Brad Fittler actually sounded like he knew something about footy when discussing it. He no doubt does, but doesn’t often reveal it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Cranky Old Man wrote:Commentary has not much mentioned our kick chase against Knights. There was the winning of the game. Replicate that and they will win again, easily.
It was first class. Probably the highlight for me after a few early kicks from Fog that were a little overcooked.

I watched a few games over the weekend. There were some very good defensive performances, Melbourne were excellent, but I thought we also looked well prepared. Our kick chase was outstanding and if it wasn't for that bogus Young sin binning we could easily have kept them to a single try.

I'm really looking forward to Strange settling in and becoming a second kicking option. From what I've seen he's got a decent boot on him too.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: March 11, 2024, 5:24 pm
zim wrote: March 11, 2024, 5:18 pm
radicalraider wrote: March 11, 2024, 4:38 pm Sezer out
Source?
The Mole on X.

Thanks. That's a big out for them.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 11, 2024, 7:03 pm If you have a look at Rapanas try on the weekend, all set up from Stranges footwork. The little quick skip makes the defender (Gamble) come in and create the overlap. The fact that Gagai came in from his wing helped but fancy quick footwork was fantastic.
He’s got a fantastic little step, saw it a number of times in the trials.

It looked really natural when playing on the RH side of the field too
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Can the backs to the wall, call to bleed green patented ambush work 2 weeks in a row?

After such a bright start I’ll be disappointed if we aren’t pumped up and ready to deal with an untalented rabble like this current Tigers team
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Rickmando wrote: March 12, 2024, 7:15 am
Regs Revolution wrote: March 11, 2024, 7:03 pm If you have a look at Rapanas try on the weekend, all set up from Stranges footwork. The little quick skip makes the defender (Gamble) come in and create the overlap. The fact that Gagai came in from his wing helped but fancy quick footwork was fantastic.

What was actually really impressive about that for me was earlier in the game, he got the ball in a similar spot, and the Knights defence rushed him, got a good shot on and forced the error. The next time he got the ball in that sort of spot, Strange sees it coming, makes the guy miss with footwork, gets outside and now its a catch and pass drill
I LOOOOOOOVE when young players get a situation like that and then learn and adjust to it in the same game... didnt need the coach or film room to figure it out. Just thought about it, had a plan and executed.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Botman wrote: March 12, 2024, 7:39 am

What was actually really impressive about that for me was earlier in the game, he got the ball in a similar spot, and the Knights defence rushed him, got a good shot on and forced the error. The next time he got the ball in that sort of spot, Strange sees it coming, makes the guy miss with footwork, gets outside and now its a catch and pass drill
I LOOOOOOOVE when young players get a situation like that and then learn and adjust to it in the same game... didnt need the coach or film room to figure it out. Just thought about it, had a plan and executed.
Agree. Really small sample size so far but I’m seeing a lot of football IQ in him. Something this squad has been sorely lacking for a long time, here’s hoping he develops not only his play but his leadership in time.

The natural footballing is not something that can be coached in, but…. it is certainly something that can be coached out if he’s loaded up with messaging/ideology. The message to him should be “play football” and not “bleed green”
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The main thing tigers have going for them this match is that we're still in the receptionist rounds, there were a lot of upsets last week. Would back raiders (or pretty much any side except maybe titans) to put them away

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Foxsports predicting Cotric will drop out , Hoppa to his wing and Kris in. Levi should be good to play.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 12, 2024, 9:48 am Foxsports predicting Cotric will drop out , Hoppa to his wing and Kris in. Levi should be good to play.
If that's how it breaks IMO we'd be playing 3 outside backs in NSW Cup who are better players than Hoppa
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: March 12, 2024, 11:13 am
LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 12, 2024, 9:48 am Foxsports predicting Cotric will drop out , Hoppa to his wing and Kris in. Levi should be good to play.
If that's how it breaks IMO we'd be playing 3 outside backs in NSW Cup who are better players than Hoppa
If we have everyone available and Hoppa is our best winger then it suggests our roster is lacking, which I don't believe is the case. More like Ricky going with his favourite grind ball option.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Botman wrote: March 12, 2024, 7:39 am

What impressed me the most is, look what he does after he gets flattened by Saifiti. He’s laying on the floor and whilst he’s on the floor, goes to tackle the player that ends up with the ball. Didn’t lay down. Kept fighting. Love that.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

I’d take this with a grain of salt. They were way off at picking our round 1 team. 3.5 hours to wait and we will know.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I think one thing this shows is that Ricky Stuart is faultlessly a man of his word, and it is unbreakable.

Only problem is, last year when he promised Hoppa he wouldn't lose his place in the team if he went to his sister's wedding it appears he's taken it all too literally.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Cotric dropping out is probably about right. Having savage spell rapa when needed is a better option than hoppa or cotric spelling rapa and hoppa had a pretty good game, probably our best outside back from an attacking perspective.
Personally I want to see if savage can keep some consistency and see if hoppa can raise his level.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: March 12, 2024, 11:44 am I think one thing this shows is that Ricky Stuart is faultlessly a man of his word, and it is unbreakable.

Only problem is, last year when he promised Hoppa he wouldn't lose his place in the team if he went to his sister's wedding it appears he's taken it all too literally.
In 2038 Hoppa will be the longest serving player at the club, still picked somewhere in the backline, still not sure which position is his best.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Coastalraider wrote: March 12, 2024, 11:49 am
The Nickman wrote: March 12, 2024, 11:44 am I think one thing this shows is that Ricky Stuart is faultlessly a man of his word, and it is unbreakable.

In 2038 Hoppa will be the longest serving player at the club, still picked somewhere in the backline, still not sure which position is his best.
In 2038, Rick (in his 24th year as Raiders head coach) gives Hoppa a week off against the Wests Tigers at Campbelltown just so he can bring up his 300 game milestone in front of the home fans!

That’s man management
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Genuinely the smart thing to do.
Cotric hasn't been up to standard for a long time.

People who have been around rugby league a long time speak very strongly of Hoppa's abilities.
He has more upside at this stage of his career and isn't afraid of contact.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Picking Hoppa on the wing is like picking a 5ft player in the NBA.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Love4Noa wrote: March 12, 2024, 12:27 pm
Genuinely the smart thing to do.
Cotric hasn't been up to standard for a long time.

People who have been around rugby league a long time speak very strongly of Hoppa's abilities.
He has more upside at this stage of his career and isn't afraid of contact.
I'd argue that most of these people who highly rate Hopoate don't actually watch many of our games and have formed their opinion off the back of his stats, specifically his running metres.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If that's the way the cards fall and it means Savage stays in the team, I'll bear it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

If it’s between Hoppa and Cotric for a wing position outside Timoko I’m not too concerned. Personally I would go Cotric however there is not a great deal in it. I would expect when Stewart eventually comes into the side Rapana will move to this wing before Asomua eventually makes it his next year.

Something to keep in mind though; last year when Hoppa was given a long run on the wing he we seemed to get worse not better which is a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

In his defence he had Wighton/Croker in side him who made some absolute stinkers of defensive reads towards the end of the season

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I prefer Cotric to Hoppa.

I prefer pre-Dogs Cotric to current Cotric, though. How he went from an elite winger to fighting Hoppa for a spot is remarkable
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Considering Fox predicted Savage at fullback, Strange in the centres and Weekes at 5/8th just before the round 1 teams were released, I wouldn’t put too much effort overthinking Ricky’s selection decisions or non decisions.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I think that is the correct answer. Prefer Hoppa over Cotric but not entirely convinced either are the long term answer. Seen enough to know Cotric isn’t our guy, will need to see Hoppa develop more to convince me that he is our guy. Asomua must be close. Didn’t love his effort with the kickoff at Seiffert but he recovered quite well I thought.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd rather Asomua than both of them tbh

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

-TW- wrote: March 12, 2024, 1:50 pm I'd rather Asomua than both of them tbh

I would prefer Asomua too however I think it will be a little while before we see him in the NRL side
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

What an experience for Smithies this weekend running out in front of a home crowd for the first time.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders silenced doubters in Newcastle: Danny Levi

Hooker Danny Levi says the upset, ‘nobody believes in us’ win by the Raiders over the Knights in Round 1 was trademark Stuart.

“There’s been plenty said about us, but we’ve said before we don’t worry about that, we know what we can do and we’re confident in ourselves,” he said. “It was just a real grinding effort that ‘Sticky’ (Stuart) loves, and that’s what made us proud. It shows we’re willing to stick in and do the ugly stuff … but obviously there’s heaps to work on and we’re only going to get better.”

Read more: https://canberradaily.com.au/canberra-s ... raid-levi/
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

2024 Rd 2 NRL teams: Raiders v Tigers

Canberra Raiders v Wests Tigers
Saturday 16 March, 3:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio coverage: ABC, Mix106.3, 2CC

The Canberra Raiders have named their squad for the round two match against the Wests Tigers on Saturday afternoon.

Sebastian Kris returns to the side in the centres after serving his suspension, shifting Albert Hopoate to the wing. Nick Cotric has been named as 18th man.

Canberra Raiders media

Canberra Raiders

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Albert Hopoate
3. Matt Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Xavier Savage
6. Ethan Strange
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Danny Levi
10. Joe Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Zac Hosking
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Ata Mariota
17. Pasami Saulo

18. Nick Cotric
19. Kaeo Weekes
20. Simi Sasagi
21. Zac Woolford
22. Trey Mooney

Injury/Suspension
Corey Horsburgh, Suspension (Round 4)
Elliott Whitehead, Calf (Round 4)
Corey Harawira-Naera, Seizure (TBA)

Wests Tigers

1. Jahream Bula
2. Charlie Staines
3. Starford To'a
4. Solomona Faataape
5. Junior Tupou
6. Lachlan Galvin
7. Jayden Sullivan
8. Stefano Utoikamanu
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. David Klemmer
11. Isaiah Papali'i
12. John Bateman
13. Alex Seyfarth

14. Aidan Sezer
15. Fonua Pole
16. Alex Twal
17. Samuela Fainu

18. Asu Kepaoa
19. Tallyn Da Silva
20. Justin Matamua
21. Alexander Lobb
22. Jake Simpkin

Injury/Suspension
Justin Olam, Knee (Round 3)
Latu Fainu, Hamstring (Round 4)
Adam Douehi, Knee (Indefinite)

Officials

Referee: Peter Gough
Touch judges: Wyatt Raymond, Paki Parkinson
Video referee: Ashley Klein

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersTigers
The Greenhouse score update service
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

If the Tigers pick Starford Toa we should run Sebastian Kris at him all day like a hammer.

The dude is allergic to contact, a complete turnstyle