Total votes: 27

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2024 Rd 2 v Tigers: Teams and Previews

Post by zim »

dubby wrote: March 11, 2024, 11:55 am
happymum wrote: March 11, 2024, 11:35 am What's going on with Trevilyan does anyone know? GE? He's coming off the bench in cup for a cameo at the end of the game. Looked sharp and defending well.
He's definitely part of our plans. I've heard that they want him to build more strength, while also allowing his body to rehabilitate from some very serious injuries
That was my read on it.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Crusader wrote: March 10, 2024, 5:49 pm so watching Sunday Night with Matty Johns, and see the suspended JWH playing NSW cup, I had no idea suspended players can player NSW cup, why didnt we give kris some game time under his belt, which now leads me to thinking he wont return in 1st grade and will start at cup
The fact he didn't play cup when suspended makes it more likely he will next play cup footy?

That's some 5d chess right there.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:
reptar wrote: March 11, 2024, 11:06 am
Finchy wrote:
reptar wrote: March 11, 2024, 6:33 am When will teams be announced?
On TLT I believe! Anyone know when that is?
If only there was some pattern to it!
I know one thing for certain. Team List Tuesday will be one day this week. Which day? Well, that's anyone guess.
What’s your guess? Mine is Thursday.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Bloody_Burnham
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

julian87 wrote: March 11, 2024, 5:45 am
Rickmando wrote: March 10, 2024, 3:01 pm Savage’s finish for his try last week showed you why he has to be in the side. Every single week. Whatever the petty reasons were that saw him excluded for last year cannot counter that pure speed and attacking instinct utilised to convert a half chance.

In a side that barely creates clear-cut attacking opportunities because of our conservative outlook and sloppy structure - having a few players like Savage on the park is a must.
This ^^^^
Amen. We need players like Timoko and Savage to be given opportunities because they can create half chances into tries. All the top sides have at least 2/3 of those players in the side.

Hopefully we can also consider Strange and Stewart as part of that key attacking core soon as well.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

reptar wrote: March 11, 2024, 1:55 pm
The Nickman wrote:
Finchy wrote:
I know one thing for certain. Team List Tuesday will be one day this week. Which day? Well, that's anyone guess.
Wednesday, I reckon... about 1.30pm.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

BadnMean wrote: March 11, 2024, 1:46 pm
Crusader wrote: March 10, 2024, 5:49 pm so watching Sunday Night with Matty Johns, and see the suspended JWH playing NSW cup, I had no idea suspended players can player NSW cup, why didnt we give kris some game time under his belt, which now leads me to thinking he wont return in 1st grade and will start at cup
The fact he didn't play cup when suspended makes it more likely he will next play cup footy?

haha surely your pulling my leg yeah? you Really cant connect the dots here?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

reptar wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Finchy wrote:
It's a leap year this year so who knows

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Crusader wrote: March 11, 2024, 2:21 pm
BadnMean wrote: March 11, 2024, 1:46 pm

haha surely your pulling my leg yeah? you Really cant connect the dots here?
Hmm I just think you are doing this when joining dots

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Greenhouse wrote: March 7, 2024, 12:25 am Name your own team, and then see how close you were when the official teams are named at 4:00pm on the Tuesday before the match.
In the first post...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 11, 2024, 3:43 pm
The Greenhouse wrote: March 7, 2024, 12:25 am Name your own team, and then see how close you were when the official teams are named at 4:00pm on the Tuesday before the match.
In the first post...
Is that when Teamlist Tuesday is this week? On the Tuesday before the match?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Kris in for Hoppa, and probably Whitehead extended bench

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Sezer out
raider1981
David Shillington

Post by raider1981 »

Danger game. I’m very worried about this game. Hope Ricky can get them focused.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

radicalraider wrote: March 11, 2024, 4:38 pm Sezer out
Source?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: March 11, 2024, 5:18 pm
Source?
The Mole on X.

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:
reptar wrote: March 11, 2024, 1:55 pm
The Nickman wrote:
Finchy wrote: On TLT I believe! Anyone know when that is?
Wednesday, I reckon... about 1.30pm.
Do I need to guess a time, too? In that case 12pm.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Our tactics aren't going to be any different this weekend.
We work our way upfield and kick.
Hopefully wearing them down like we did with the Knights.
Typical Sticky early season tactics.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New Raiders forward Morgan Smithies extends Canberra's British empire

Canberra's latest English import Morgan Smithies concedes he's a sucker for punishment as he sets his sights on a reunion with former teammate John Bateman.

"I loved every second of my debut," Smithies said. "Coming over here was a bit of a risk, but I knew if I put the work in I could be in contention to get picked in that 17. The hard work has paid off. When it goes set for set and you grind all game - that's when I love it. I don't think I'm anywhere near my best, I'll be watching the game back and I'll see what I need to work on and improve. But I felt like that game was a good start."

Read more: https://canberradaily.com.au/new-raider ... sh-empire/

Danny Levi finds new 'belief' with Canberra Raiders after double broken jaw nightmare

Canberra Raiders hooker Danny Levi had a nightmare debut year in the capital. But having survived - and shined - in round one for the Green Machine, he is determined to properly show fans what he can do in 2024.

"As long as I'm out there I'm happy. I want to establish that nine jersey, keep winning games and get into the finals. This team can do it," Levi said. "There's a lot of talk of what we can and can't do, but we don't worry about it. We know.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:Our tactics aren't going to be any different this weekend.
We work our way upfield and kick.
Hopefully wearing them down like we did with the Knights.
Typical Sticky early season tactics.
At some point we need to work into the plays that can break through the Panthers. Don’t rock up to that one game and expect to open it up.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Young man Galvin is going to have a lot of pressure on his shoulders. Raiders forwards need amp that pressure up.

Make him work defensively. Get pressure on kicks. See if we can force some errors from him on both sides of the ball
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Shame for the Tigers if Sezer's out To be honest I'd forgotten he had signed for them.

Actually, much like last Thursday's game, I haven't given the opposition lineup any thought. I had no real idea who Newcastle had named until the moment they ran out on the field. I feel the same way about the Tigers this week.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

BJ wrote:
Crusader wrote:so watching Sunday Night with Matty Johns, and see the suspended JWH playing NSW cup, I had no idea suspended players can player NSW cup, why didnt we give kris some game time under his belt, which now leads me to thinking he wont return in 1st grade and will start at cup
I think JWH is only available to play NSW Cup because he finished his suspension in Vegas split round. But maybe I’m wrong.
BJ Mole actually revealed the scoop early on this one before it made the media. I’ll have to quit my Mole accreditation for actually getting 1 in 10 claims correct.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Knights away, expected to lose 13+ after getting beaten by them 3 times last year? We win and win well.

Tigers at home, expected to win 13+, and their halfback is out? Strap in for a wild ride lads, these are the games we do our best to lose. They nearly got us twice last year.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Finchy wrote:Knights away, expected to lose 13+ after getting beaten by them 3 times last year? We win and win well.

Tigers at home, expected to win 13+, and their halfback is out? Strap in for a wild ride lads, these are the games we do our best to lose. They nearly got us twice last year.
This is also true.

President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

We can’t lose to a team being steered around by ‘Bud’ Sullivan. He is horrendous. Awful, awful signing.

Tigers 13+
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: March 11, 2024, 6:35 pm Knights away, expected to lose 13+ after getting beaten by them 3 times last year? We win and win well.

Going to be an interesting game to get an early read on us in
The knights win wasnt just unexpected in that we won as underdogs, but it really wasnt close. Like in games like that in previous years you could have put the house on us conceding tries late and making that game uneasy in the final 5.
Didnt happen. They just kind of professional put the game away.

1 game is a very small sample size but if they can back that sort of performance up by clinically dispatching a team that they're clearly better than, then it gets my attention

And the reverse is true, showing up this week and getting into a rock fight and winning weakly or losing to this tigers team will have me a little in that 'same old Raiders" mindset.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Botman wrote: March 11, 2024, 6:40 pm
Finchy wrote: March 11, 2024, 6:35 pm Knights away, expected to lose 13+ after getting beaten by them 3 times last year? We win and win well.

Going to be an interesting game to get an early read on us in
The knights win wasnt just unexpected in that we won as underdogs, but it really wasnt close. Like in games like that in previous years you could have put the house on us conceding tries late and making that game uneasy in the final 5.
Didnt happen. They just kind of professional put the game away.

1 game is a very small sample size but if they can back that sort of performance up by clinically dispatching a team that they're clearly better than, then it gets my attention

And the reverse is true, showing up this week and getting into a rock fight and winning weakly or losing to this tigers team will have me a little in that 'same old Raiders" mindset.
18/18 completion rate is so un-Raider like.

I love that Smithies has come out and said he loves games are the set for set the most. We need a player like him.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

We haven’t played like what we did last week for an easy 18 months. I’m hoping it’s replicated and this game would be the best measure. At home. Against the current wooden spooners. I’m even happy not to belt them cause our attack is still sorting it’s self out. More so, I want to see the team compete for 80. Nothing less.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 11, 2024, 6:55 pm We haven’t played like what we did last week for an easy 18 months. I’m hoping it’s replicated and this game would be the best measure. At home. Against the current wooden spooners. I’m even happy not to belt them cause or attack is still sorting it’s self out. More so, I want to see the team compete for 80. Nothing less.
If we play like we did last week... kick well, defend well, complete high
We will belt them.

The attack it's limited from both a personnel and tactical perspective, that's going to take time to come along. But we should get ourselves enough chances that we can put up 24+ points
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

If you have a look at Rapanas try on the weekend, all set up from Stranges footwork. The little quick skip makes the defender (Gamble) come in and create the overlap. The fact that Gagai came in from his wing helped but fancy quick footwork was fantastic.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Botman wrote: March 11, 2024, 6:58 pm
Regs Revolution wrote: March 11, 2024, 6:55 pm We haven’t played like what we did last week for an easy 18 months. I’m hoping it’s replicated and this game would be the best measure. At home. Against the current wooden spooners. I’m even happy not to belt them cause or attack is still sorting it’s self out. More so, I want to see the team compete for 80. Nothing less.
We will belt them.

The attack it's limited from both a personnel and tactical perspective, that's going to take time to come along. But we should get ourselves enough chances that we can put up 24+ points
Tactical I agree, it’s not quite right. But I’ve seen us play where they let the shackles off and it looks great. Personnel, I think we have enough across the park to match with others. But you’re right, Strange is going to be given limited opportunities in the opening 13 odds rounds. And I don’t mind that. Slowly get him to peak at the right times.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

With Jack Wighton and Whitehead among others sitting out in the final round in 2022, we put 40 plus on them. Wests personnel are better now, but they couldn’t cope physically with St George in the second trial. Our forwards can bully them, particularly Sullivan and their replacement for Sezer. They played a strong team v Warriors in the first trial against 12 men for 75% of the game and just won against a Warriors reserve grade team.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 11, 2024, 7:08 pm
We will belt them.

Tactical I agree, it’s not quite right. But I’ve seen us play where they let the shackles off and it looks great. Personnel, I think we have enough across the park to match with others. But you’re right, Strange is going to be given limited opportunities in the opening 13 odds rounds. And I don’t mind that. Slowly get him to peak at the right times.
Personnel wise i am talking spine
We have a really green LH who is creative but is being eased into things, rightly so.
We have a RH who can create tries with his boot but not with ball in his hands, not a very creative ball player
Our starting hooker has no creativity beyond close range barge over tries
And our fullback is a lunatic who can create but it's not something we can rely on.

We're not going to create much many points out of structure
Look on the weekend
Hosking try off a kick, Levi barge over, Savage off a kick
Rapana try in structure
Late game offload adlib play for Young

5 tries and 1 try that you could look at and say - "Yeah, we broken them down and striped them for numbers, that's replicable and reliable"
But i do think at least early, if we defend well, kick well and complete at a high %, there is enough points in us to win games
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Botman wrote: March 11, 2024, 7:16 pm
Regs Revolution wrote: March 11, 2024, 7:08 pm
We will belt them.

Personnel wise i am talking spine
We have a really green LH who is creative but is being eased into things, rightly so.
We have a RH who can create tries with his boot but not with ball in his hands, not a very creative ball player
Our starting hooker has no creativity beyond close range barge over tries
And our fullback is a lunatic who can create but it's not something we can rely on.

We're not going to create much many points out of structure
Look on the weekend
Hosking try off a kick, Levi barge over, Savage off a kick
Rapana try in structure
Late game offload adlib play for Young

5 tries and 1 try that you could look at and say - "Yeah, we broken them down and striped them for numbers, that's replicable and reliable"
But i do think at least early, if we defend well, kick well and complete at a high %, there is enough points in us to win games
Absolutely agree about the spine. The 9 is my biggest concern. In terms of personnel, I was thinking across the park and along the likes of Savage, Timoko, Rapana, Young (does my head in sometimes) and even Kris and Cotric. All can spark something from nothing. Especially the first two. They are easily our biggest strike and there’s plenty of points from these guys. And maybe this is our fate. We won’t have the structure and the tactical nous like other top teams, but have to rely on set plays that involves these guys.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, this will be a funny game for us. Anything short of a decent win will be heavily scrutinized by the fans, but nobody outside the club expects us to do a damn thing.

I'm very happy for us to play though the middle like last week. New team, new combinations... aim for completions, defend well and cash in at the end. Timoko and Kris just need to be given opportunities.

Sounds obvious, but the way we lose this game is gift the Tigers cheap field position and have a shoddy defensive line.