Tigers 13+
15%

Total votes: 27

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: 2024 Rd 2 v Tigers: Teams and Previews

Post by Rickmando »

Savage’s finish for his try last week showed you why he has to be in the side. Every single week. Whatever the petty reasons were that saw him excluded for last year cannot counter that pure speed and attacking instinct utilised to convert a half chance.

In a side that barely creates clear-cut attacking opportunities because of our conservative outlook and sloppy structure - having a few players like Savage on the park is a must.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Rickmando wrote:Savage’s finish for his try last week showed you why he has to be in the side. Every single week. Whatever the petty reasons were that saw him excluded for last year cannot counter that pure speed and attacking instinct utilised to convert a half chance.

In a side that barely creates clear-cut attacking opportunities because of our conservative outlook and sloppy structure - a few players like Savage on the park are a must.
This... absolutely spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

so watching Sunday Night with Matty Johns, and see the suspended JWH playing NSW cup, I had no idea suspended players can player NSW cup, why didnt we give kris some game time under his belt, which now leads me to thinking he wont return in 1st grade and will start at cup
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

greeneyed wrote: March 9, 2024, 7:22 pm I really don’t understand why Weekes isn’t playing fullback, if he’s lost the battle for five eighth. I don’t 7nderstand why he didn’t train there… if were to believe the reports he didn’t train much there in the pre season.
I think its only because of lack of depth in halves
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Crusader wrote:so watching Sunday Night with Matty Johns, and see the suspended JWH playing NSW cup, I had no idea suspended players can player NSW cup, why didnt we give kris some game time under his belt, which now leads me to thinking he wont return in 1st grade and will start at cup
I think JWH is only available to play NSW Cup because he finished his suspension in Vegas split round. But maybe I’m wrong.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Id be really really shocked if Kris plays NSW cup and Cotric/Savage/Hoppa are in FG
One, that's just not the right thing to do, Kris is unquestionably in our best 17 and a subpar option is playing his left centre spot
Stuart also loves Kris, i know he loves Hoppa too but at the very least i expect Savage/Cotric to drop out and Hoppa to play wing...

For me anything but Hoppa dropping out for Kris is indefensiable, but if Stuart values the workload of Hoppa in our own 20 over base line level competence in all other areas then it should be Cotric dropping out. In no circumstances can it be that Kris or Savage is playing NSW Cup.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

It ain’t happening. He will be in the team.

I’d happily wager anything with anyone.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I agree
And i think it will be either Savage but more likely Cotric who drops out... and i think that's a mistake
Desperately hoping that Stuart stays the course on the wing, they won those spots, they performed well... let em cook for a little bit and get our first choice backline working together again and see what they can do

If Cotric/Savage arent giving the coach what he wants in a few weeks time, but all means bring in Asomua and roll
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: March 10, 2024, 6:03 pm
Crusader wrote:so watching Sunday Night with Matty Johns, and see the suspended JWH playing NSW cup, I had no idea suspended players can player NSW cup, why didnt we give kris some game time under his belt, which now leads me to thinking he wont return in 1st grade and will start at cup
I think JWH is only available to play NSW Cup because he finished his suspension in Vegas split round. But maybe I’m wrong.
That makes sense.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Will see what happens.

I'd find it very odd for him to rearrange the backline to keep Hopoate in on the wing. Why wouldn't he have just named Hoppa on the wing last week and put Schiller in the 4 for a week?

Out of all of Stuart's selections in the last 10 seasons, retaining Hopoate over Savage and Cotric would surprise me the most. Who knows.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 10, 2024, 8:46 pm Will see what happens.

I'd find it very odd for him to rearrange the backline to keep Hopoate in on the wing. Why wouldn't he have just named Hoppa on the wing last week and put Schiller in the 4 for a week?

Out of all of Stuart's selections in the last 10 seasons, retaining Hopoate over Savage and Cotric would surprise me the most. Who knows.

For me this logic tracks.
If Stuart thought Hoppa was one of our best 2 wingers, i would think he'd have been named Hoppa there and Schiller would have played over whoever missed out.
The most sound logic is he named his best back 5 sans Kris and put what he viewed as his best place holder in that spot

But until i see the man drop Hoppa, i wont believe it. He's pretty clearly a favourite of the coach. And he marches to the beat of his own drum for better or (often imo) worse... we'll see come 4pm Tuesday

Kris simply has to come in. Has to.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:

If Stuart thought Hoppa was one of our best 2 wingers, i would think he'd have been named Hoppa there and Schiller would have played over whoever missed out.
The most sound logic is he named his best back 5 sans Kris and put what he viewed as his best place holder in that spot

But until i see the man drop Hoppa, i wont believe it. He's pretty clearly a favourite of the coach. And he marches to the beat of his own drum for better or (often imo) worse... we'll see come 4pm Tuesday

Kris simply has to come in. Has to.
Yeah, I have no question Kris comes straight back in. He, Timoko and Rapana have 3 of the 5 positions stitched up (and rightfully so).

If Rapa plays fullback the wing spots are up for grabs based on form. It's clear Hoppa is above Schiller in the pecking order, so his selection at 4 checked out for me. Savage and Cotric were both very good in the trials. Both were better than Hopoate. I truely believe Stuart genuinely took trial form into consideration, and from what I can gather both Sav and Cotric impressed at training over the offseason - they both look set for big years.

Anything could happen, but all things considered I'm backing Hopoate to make way for Kris.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

No matter who misses out between Savage, Cotric and Hoppa they'll be disappointed because they all contributed to the win this round.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

The moment I saw the team list for the knights it made sense that we saw Hoppa in the centres as there would be a straight swap for Kris. This means little disruption. But who knows. If Savage drops out, I’m gonna be livid. His speed alone almost secures his spot. That speed of his, got us a try and also potentially saved one as well when Tuala went down the field. He’s bigger, stronger and seems to have a more level head. He could be one of the top wingers in the NRL given the opportunity.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: March 10, 2024, 8:54 pm

That's the overwhelmingly likely position. I think Savage will have a good ten rounds or so to make his case on the wing. That seems to be Ricky's MO, to give a good ten rounds or so to let a selection play out. We saw it with Valemei, with Kris at fullback, with Savage at fullback etc etc. Hoppa was only picked due to Kris's injury, so I don't think the same applies to his spot
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82 wrote:Yeah, I have no question Kris comes straight back in. He, Timoko and Rapana have 3 of the 5 positions stitched up (and rightfully so).
Savage has a fourth stitched up in this squad if you want to win football games in 2024…
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Rickmando wrote: March 10, 2024, 3:01 pm Savage’s finish for his try last week showed you why he has to be in the side. Every single week. Whatever the petty reasons were that saw him excluded for last year cannot counter that pure speed and attacking instinct utilised to convert a half chance.

In a side that barely creates clear-cut attacking opportunities because of our conservative outlook and sloppy structure - having a few players like Savage on the park is a must.
This ^^^^
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

When will teams be announced?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

reptar wrote: March 11, 2024, 6:33 am When will teams be announced?
On TLT I believe! Anyone know when that is?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by thevikingclap on ig »

Kris comes straight in for Hoppa who moves to 18th man. I’m more interested in how EW and Horse will return, i’m not moving Papa or Hosking.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The way I see it
Early in the season at least Hopoate is first in player in to cover for left centre/left wing if they are out.

Schiller is first choice for right centre and I'd guess also right wing until Asomua is considered ready.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Asomua had 200 metres on the weekend
If we lost a winger at training tomorrow, I’d be really eager to give him a run

If he plays and isn’t ready, that’s fine you’ve given him a taste and he can go back to Cup and work on the things he needs to, and you move on to a Schiller or Hoppa or whoever

But I reckon there is a good chance that if he’s given a jersey, he won’t give it up
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Botman wrote: March 11, 2024, 9:34 am Asomua had 200 metres on the weekend

If he plays and isn’t ready, that’s fine you’ve given him a taste and he can go back to Cup and work on the things he needs to, and you move on to a Schiller or Hoppa or whoever

But I reckon there is a good chance that if he’s given a jersey, he won’t give it up
Asomua looks the goods and I think will be more than fine in the NRL. The way he dismantled Taulagi (an Australian and QLD winger) in the trial, shows me he is capable of stepping up. I’m happy to see Savage and Cotric there for now but for me, he’s next cab off the rank for whatever reason, injury or form.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Asomua is locked in for top 30 in 2025, 2026.
In 2024 he's on a development contract, so I don't know how much that'd weigh in for him to hold down a starting position for an extended period of time this year.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 10, 2024, 6:19 pm It ain’t happening. He will be in the team.

I’d happily wager anything with anyone.
I think we're more concerned about who drops out. Because it's most likely Savage, and the general GH consensus is that we'd prefer Hoppa to drop out
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Finchy wrote:
If only there was some pattern to it!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I actually think Kris will just straight-up replace Hopoate. I know Sticky can be stubborn and pigheaded sometimes, but I just can't see why he'd shuffle his whole backline unnecessarily just for one week.

Surely Cotric and Savage keep their spots on the wing and Kris comes straight in for Hoppa? Like I said previously, Hoppa could make a pretty good 18th man.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

reptar wrote: March 11, 2024, 11:06 am
Finchy wrote:
If only there was some pattern to it!
I know one thing for certain. Team List Tuesday will be one day this week. Which day? Well, that's anyone guess.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:Asomua had 200 metres on the weekend

Yep. He's 100% ahead of Hopoate and Schiller for mine.

happymum
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: ricky stuart

Post by happymum »

What's going on with Trevilyan does anyone know? GE? He's coming off the bench in cup for a cameo at the end of the game. Looked sharp and defending well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is surprising. He only played the last 20 minutes of NSW Cup on Thursday. I am presuming that the Raiders are trying to give Woolford big minutes to build match fitness. No reports of injury, but he didn't get a run in the Preseason Challenge...
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

It's nice feeling getting a win first up and our depth in our squad with hard choices to make and all looking like fit and ready to play, I have good feeling about our year, A part of me is saying don't touch a winning side, but if the hype about Asomua is true, then bring him in for a red hot go, maybe Hopoate drops out for him..Strange deserves another go..
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Re: 2024 Round 2 v Tigers: Game Day

Post by daley6 »

At home games is there anything for young kids to do ? Years ago i remember a jumping castle, but not sure if that was just for a particular game, thanks
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

happymum wrote: March 11, 2024, 11:35 am What's going on with Trevilyan does anyone know? GE? He's coming off the bench in cup for a cameo at the end of the game. Looked sharp and defending well.
He's definitely part of our plans. I've heard that they want him to build more strength, while also allowing his body to rehabilitate from some very serious injuries
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Yeah, I have no question Kris comes straight back in. He, Timoko and Rapana have 3 of the 5 positions stitched up (and rightfully so).
Savage has a fourth stitched up in this squad if you want to win football games in 2024…
Yes, I'm hoping that to be the case. What I've seen so far indicates to me he's now ready to have a full breakout season.

All four of Savage, Kris, Timoko and Cotric are capable of breaking the line. They are now all very good defenders as well. There is no question in my mind those four can be the equal of any 3/4 line in the comp.