Knights 13+
25%

Total votes: 28

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Rd 1 v Knights: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Bay53 wrote: March 7, 2024, 2:32 pm The Knights are an interesting one. When you consider they won what 11 or 12 in a row last year before being beat in NZ, they really haven't been talked about at all before this season. Yes they have lost Dom Young and I also rated Fitzgibbon but they are pretty much the same team as last year. Hastings and Ponga probably go into the game fully fit which they weren't for the final last year.

We will need to play at least as well as we did in the final to be competitive.
Ponga no doubt is a star and can perform at a high level which we have seen last year and in SOO before Walsh took over. But is he really a consistent player game after game and season after season ? No doubt he's capable of tearing us apart like what he's done in the past, but consistency is his issue - whether it's stringing games together w/o a head knock/injuries or form. Dylan Edwards is less dynamic but more consistent. Let's see if the Knights can replicate their form of last year.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I think the Raiders exposed the Knights a bit in the semi. They couldn't match it in the middle and if not for Schiller getting hurt and Fog bottling it, they would've been out week one. Still, they are probably keen to improve and keep that winning feeling so I would think top 8 is on the cards again.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 7, 2024, 6:33 am So much to look forward to in this game. Savage and Strange being selected for starters, Smithies and Hosking debuting for us and Tapine leading the side.

No one’s tipping us but we will spring an upset tonight
Hoping so, HKR.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: March 7, 2024, 4:21 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 7, 2024, 6:33 am So much to look forward to in this game. Savage and Strange being selected for starters, Smithies and Hosking debuting for us and Tapine leading the side.

No one’s tipping us but we will spring an upset tonight
Hoping so, HKR.
Lock it in Dubs, we got this!
Motiv8dan
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by Motiv8dan »

I'm excited, new season, but hopefully a little more to our attack than the same old crash ball!!

Trial games showed some talent and some new gameplay, so let's get it on!!

I just pray we have learnt to put games away, and stop being a different team in the second half, we need leadership to pull us away from the lack of discipline and maybe Tarps is the answer?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

One day the Raiders and the Cats win the same year and make my head explode!!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Here it is Game Day,
Hoping for a season of real progression and enforcement in the forwards with depth, or will it be yet another season of lost opportunities?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Raiders_Pat wrote: March 7, 2024, 1:22 pm
Finchy wrote: March 7, 2024, 11:11 am
Billy Walker wrote:It won’t all pay off but that is where I’d like to see us become a little more ruthless in turning players over. Some positions we need to be patient and give players time to develop but I worry we sometimes hold on to some guys far too long only to see them reach modest heights.
The likes of Valemei, Elliott, Levi, and now new favourite Hoppa have only ever reached modest heights. Happy to persist with those players though weren’t you?
Tbf Adam Elliott is nowhere near as bad as many on this forum claimed... we didn't pay a ridiculous sum to get him here and we let him go when Knights offered him overs. It was a good value signing imo. There was definitely a big overreaction here on Elliott.
Never played rep footy though and likely never will. Played largely for a cellar dweller and didn’t stand out. I’d say that’s reaching only “modest heights” in his career.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: March 7, 2024, 6:59 pm
Billy Walker wrote:It won’t all pay off but that is where I’d like to see us become a little more ruthless in turning players over. Some positions we need to be patient and give players time to develop but I worry we sometimes hold on to some guys far too long only to see them reach modest heights.
The likes of Valemei, Elliott, Levi, and now new favourite Hoppa have only ever reached modest heights. Happy to persist with those players though weren’t you?
Tbf Adam Elliott is nowhere near as bad as many on this forum claimed... we didn't pay a ridiculous sum to get him here and we let him go when Knights offered him overs. It was a good value signing imo. There was definitely a big overreaction here on Elliott.
Never played rep footy though and likely never will. Played largely for a cellar dweller and didn’t stand out. I’d say that’s reaching only “modest heights” in his career.
You’ve just described Croker’s career in a sentence.
skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

Billy Walker wrote: March 7, 2024, 9:11 pm
He’s retired mate. As the highest point scorer in Raiders history. Time to find a new whipping boy.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

skeepe wrote:
Finchy wrote: March 7, 2024, 11:11 am The likes of Valemei, Elliott, Levi, and now new favourite Hoppa have only ever reached modest heights. Happy to persist with those players though weren’t you?
He’s retired mate. As the highest point scorer in Raiders history. Time to find a new whipping boy.
Pathetic really, but hardly surprising
Green Machine 2011
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

The team picked won so well done coaching stuff, good game plan. Similar-ish to last year but with some X factor. Horse and Kris just make us stronger, hopefully it’s for Hoppa and Guler/Saulo. Whitehead to come back and share the role with Hosking, but hopefully a phasing out period. Hosking right 2nd row was a great improvement despite a tired poor attempt late in the game
Last edited by Green Machine 2011 on March 7, 2024, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Haha I knew you’d pull that card.

Third on the all time point scorer list (would have gone close to breaking it if not for injuries hampering his last few years). Raiders top try scorer of all time. Over 300 games. Played in plenty of finals including a GF and prelims. 15 odd years in first grade.

I dare say his career was a little more impressive than anything Adam Elliott will deliver.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 7, 2024, 3:00 pm
Bay53 wrote: March 7, 2024, 2:32 pm The Knights are an interesting one. When you consider they won what 11 or 12 in a row last year before being beat in NZ, they really haven't been talked about at all before this season. Yes they have lost Dom Young and I also rated Fitzgibbon but they are pretty much the same team as last year. Hastings and Ponga probably go into the game fully fit which they weren't for the final last year.

Ponga no doubt is a star and can perform at a high level which we have seen last year and in SOO before Walsh took over. But is he really a consistent player game after game and season after season ? No doubt he's capable of tearing us apart like what he's done in the past, but consistency is his issue - whether it's stringing games together w/o a head knock/injuries or form. Dylan Edwards is less dynamic but more consistent. Let's see if the Knights can replicate their form of last year.
I think Ponga has 5 to 10 games in him a year - he isnt built for a full season, SOO and other international duties. Freakish player, but in my opinion lacks a lot of attention to detail. Probably a personality trait. Often falls over / slips, gets up like he got hit in the head, puts himself dangerous situations, gets smashed at times (even though its was foul play) when he isnt paying attention... however, when zoned in one of the best players in the comp.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Jellybrain Kalyn just takes a bit to wind up I reckon, once he gets his confidence he's a cracking player

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

benda wrote: March 8, 2024, 9:55 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 7, 2024, 3:00 pm

I think Ponga has 5 to 10 games in him a year - he isnt built for a full season, SOO and other international duties. Freakish player, but in my opinion lacks a lot of attention to detail. Probably a personality trait. Often falls over / slips, gets up like he got hit in the head, puts himself dangerous situations, gets smashed at times (even though its was foul play) when he isnt paying attention... however, when zoned in one of the best players in the comp.
Ponga is a very good player but so much of the Knights attack is structured around him, that defences only need to 'look for Ponga' to know where the ball is going. The Knights scored against us when we were down to 12 players and then when fatigue had set in late in the game in the very first match of the season when no one is yet 'match fit'. They have issues to sort out, like their handling and their kicking out on the full 3 times in a match. But they also could use some variety in attack.