Re: 2024 Round 1 v Knights: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker »

+16 for and against
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Defence was pretty much on point tonight , Hosking's and Smithies very good.
Then we controlled possession.
Thought Starling added spark when he came on , fresh legs .
Strange was solid , especially in defence, he will be better for the run.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Top of the ladder! 🪜

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Yeah, the quality and discipline of Hosking and Smithies looked like it made a massive difference to the grind. Maybe it opens it up a bit more for the other players as well.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Love to win. Love that start for us.

Smithies has immediately erased any apprehension i had for him. Savage... STRONG.... Strange and Hoskings are players we need to invest time into.

Two players in my crosshairs... Levi and Hoppa... both pretty awful first halves, but bounced back and had good 2nd halves and made key plays. So i tip my cap to them.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Clearly won on the back of defence, good long kicking and a disciplined kick chase.

Smithies is a great signing. 100m and 44 tackles with one miss (his HIA).

Unreal.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: March 7, 2024, 9:02 pm Love to win. Love that start for us.

Smithies has immediately erased any apprehension i had for him. Savage... STRONG.... Strange and Hoskings are players we need to invest time into.

Two players in my crosshairs... Levi and Hoppa... both pretty awful first halves, but bounced back and had good 2nd halves and made key plays. So i tip my cap to them.
When you watch the replay, objectively watch Levi’s first half. He was very good.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Wasn't flash attack wise but we seemed to have a bit of attitude about us defensively, something you can build on imo
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Gotta love a round 1 win.
Well done boys!
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Savage needs to be utilised more around the ruck.. his speed on the back of an offload..
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Botman wrote: March 7, 2024, 9:02 pm Love to win. Love that start for us.

Well said bot man, throw in Guler may have turned a corner this year strong, Raps same big efforts, thought our pack we're excellent, crotic strong of cause.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Boy, that was special!

I’ve got a lot of thoughts about this game that I’ll probably spew out tomorrow once I’m at work and/or sober, but I do want to give full credit to Ricky Stuart and all the boys… that was a fantastic effort and really gives you hope that they’re doing all the right things for this season.

That didn’t look like a flukey underdog win, that looked like a team going about their craft well, which should only get better if they stick to those processes.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Canberra Milk wrote:Savage finished game at fullback?
Raps was cooked at the end

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Toothpicks broke and Ive awoken to a win. It's going to be a long season.
This place is woke.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

We punished a team who gave it to us on a platter, that's the best part of that win.

Last year we would've won that by 2 or 4, that last play suggests this team is going to play some ball and it's going to be a fun ride.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Clunky attack, but considering we only had 6 players in the same positions as round 1, 2023 it's to be expected.

The Knights shot themselves in the foot with their handling errors, but we handled their attack reasonably well. We conceded a couple of line breaks, but a couple were a bit unlucky.

Solid win. Savage looked great in limited opportunities. Strange was a monster in defence and finally got a chance with the ball later in the game. He's my boy.

In the end we destroyed their pack. Completely dominated them.

Can't wait to see Kris and Hors back in the lineup too.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The Nickman wrote: March 7, 2024, 9:09 pm Boy, that was special!

I’ve got a lot of thoughts about this game that I’ll probably spew out tomorrow once I’m at work and/or sober, but I do want to give full credit to Ricky Stuart and all the boys… that was a fantastic effort and really gives you hope that they’re doing all the right things for this season.

That didn’t look like a flukey underdog win, that looked like a team going about their craft well, which should only get better if they stick to those processes.
It’s only one game but Yeah that’s my reading of it too. Encouraging that it seemed to be built on some sound fundamentals, rather than a seat of your pants effort that seemed to scrape together enough wins last year.

Also, again don’t want to go off too early but I remember in 2019 our start to the season wasn’t overly flashing but we kind of just put down some good foundations with some gutsy wins and built a good top four season out of that. Our attack was never that great but we built success and momentum with some solid fundamentals.

Fingers crossed we build a similarly successful season this year.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote:We punished a team who gave it to us on a platter, that's the best part of that win.

Last year we would've won that by 2 or 4, that last play suggests this team is going to play some ball and it's going to be a fun ride.

Last year we would’ve lost that. We gave the knights absolutely nothing in the second half, they weren’t bad, we were good.

Last year we would’ve fallen apart in the second half and they would’ve beat us by twenty.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

MATCH REPORT: Fogarty steers gritty Raiders to emphatic win

In his first game with the Green Machine's keys well and truly in his pocket, Jamal Fogarty kicked the Knights to death. The Canberra Raiders halfback's kicking game steered his team to a season-opening, 28-12 victory in Newcastle on Thursday night.

CANBERRA RAIDERS 28 (Zac Hosking, Danny Levi, Xavier Savage, Jordan Rapana, Hudson Young tries; Jamal Fogarty 4 goals) bt NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS 12 (Tyson Frizell, Jackson Hastings tries; Kalyn Ponga 2 goals) at Newcastle.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329

'He just doesn't get the recognition': Stuart backs Fogarty after kicking masterclass

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says Jamal Fogarty doesn't get the credit he deserves for his kicking game. He also questioned Hudson Young's first-half sin-binning, although hoped if that was the standard then it would be consistent throughout the NRL season.

"He's a great kicker of the footy, he just doesn't get the recognition," Stuart said. "When all his foot soldiers complete [their sets], I think we were at 85 and 95 [per cent], you're going to get more opportunity to kick. When you give a good kicker the opportunity to kick you're going to be in better field position."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329

Fogarty ready to take the lead and 'let Ethan be Ethan'

Canberra’s new playmaker pairing of Jamal Fogarty and Ethan Strange passed their first test on Thursday night, steering the Raiders to an upset victory over Newcastle.

“It’s only going to get better, win or lose tonight. I think people will see out there that we’ve got someone to work with,” Canberra coach Ricky Stuart said of the former NSW Under 19s pivot.

“He’s a great kicker of the footy. He just doesn’t get the recognition,” Stuart said of Fogarty. “When all his foot-soldiers complete – I think we were at 85 per cent (first half) and 95 per cent (second half) – you’re going to get more opportunity to kick. And when you give a good kicker the opportunity to kick, you’re going to be in good field position.”

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/08/fog ... -be-ethan/

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders upset Knights for Round 1 revenge: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/07/rai ... 1-revenge/

MATCH REPORT: Raiders impress in opening game of the season: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/03 ... ch-report/

Young masterclass leads Raiders to upset over Knights: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 5b3f643687

‘Totally unnecessary’: Hudson Young sinbinned: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 38954d47cd

PRESS CONFERENCES: Raiders v Knights: https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... nd-1-2024/

GALLERY: Raiders v Knights: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/c ... =776062857
Last edited by The Greenhouse on March 7, 2024, 9:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There is a lot to work on here. This was not a super slick and professional win
But there was defintely a foundation to work from. Defensively it was pretty damn good.

Red zone offence is still disgusting. But 1-0 and lets keep it moving forward. Let's take the lessons for that last period and give our backs a shot

Timoko and Kris are weapons, Savage is a weapon. lets use them!
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Smithies might get a couple of weeks for a forearm to Hastings jaw. Hope I’m wrong, but didn’t look good.
BVRaider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by BVRaider »

Hahaha yeah the boys, Raiders 13+ and Danny Levi ATS who would of thought
The Eclipse
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by The Eclipse »

I’ve been watching Morgan Smithies since he was a15/16.
He is one of those rare players that the tougher it gets, the more he loves it.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Also, who were the couple of geezers who were bemoaning Fogs kicking game after about 5 minutes. His kicking was pretty much perfect after not nailing his first 2-3 kicks.
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Disciplined performance (apart from Huddos indiscretion). Solid defence. Still pretty clunky in attack.
Braddrew
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Braddrew »

Great start to the season for us.
Things to take away
- knights picked the wrong team: picked on last years form rather than picking cogger and KPP to start.
- Amazing game plan and we stuck to it all night (well done fog)
- minimal errors and built pressure

We can’t play like this all year though, opposition sides start to open up once combinations stick. Hopefully strange can add something to our attack and fog can keep that standard of game control for the year
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Mission Accomplished with 2 competition points and a bigger winning margin than any in Season 2023. I was very impressed with the defence of Strange on Ponga. To watch it live in the Eastern Stand surrounded by Knights fans made it even sweeter.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 7, 2024, 9:21 pm Also, who were the couple of geezers who were bemoaning Fogs kicking game after about 5 minutes. His kicking was pretty much perfect after not nailing his first 2-3 kicks.
Yeah ill put my hand up for that... 5 minutes is generous, he was kicking like **** for a bit longer than that, but he found his radar and was really good there after.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: March 7, 2024, 9:28 pm Image
:lol:
Love it
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

They always say it was the hardest preseason but you can see it really was, papa looks supa fit, Guler looks supa strong, so do the backs savage looks like bulked up handling the big hits bouncing back up, new guys young up comers smithers, Hosking's can't say enough, old guys step up again, raps, papa , foggery thought got better with his kicking longer the match went, Let's go Raiderssss
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Rads1984 wrote: March 7, 2024, 8:53 pm Hoskings is quality. Much better than Hudson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What?
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Great defence. Really get me excited.

Apart from what has already been mentioned;
I thought Hoppa was really bad for Strange. He was in poor position for the ball outside him pretty much each time it came their way. Will be much better for Strange when Kris comes back.
Last edited by Beejay on March 7, 2024, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braddrew
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Braddrew »

Botman wrote: March 7, 2024, 9:27 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: March 7, 2024, 9:21 pm Also, who were the couple of geezers who were bemoaning Fogs kicking game after about 5 minutes. His kicking was pretty much perfect after not nailing his first 2-3 kicks.
Yeah ill put my hand up for that... 5 minutes is generous, he was kicking like **** for a bit longer than that, but he found his radar and was really good there after.
Did he take every kick bar one short grubber from huddo?