14%
Knights 13+
25%

Total votes: 28

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2024 Rd 1 v Knights: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by greeneyed »

Haven’t had time to comment on the team… my main concern is Levi starting. I don’t know what Zac Woolford does every off season to **** off Ricky Stuart but it happens every year. Woolford should be starting, Levi not in the team.

I love Strange being selected at five eighth. I didn’t expect it. Hopoate or Schiller at centre? I don’t think it matters a great deal. Schiller is too slow to be a regular outside back. Hopoate too. Hopoate is solid and makes metres at least. Happy provided Kris comes straight in for Hopoate in Round 2. The wing selections are good.

Whitehead’s injury has offered up the chance for the coach to include both Guler and Saulo, but the best thing is, Mariota seems to have jumped at least one of them.

It could have been worse.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Haven’t had time to comment on the team… my main concern is Levi starting. I don’t know what Zac Woolford does every off season to **** off Ricky Stuart but it happens every year. Woolford should be starting, Levi not in the team.

I love Strange being selected at five eighth. I didn’t expect it. Hopoate or Schiller at centre? I don’t think it matters a great deal. Schiller is too slow to be a regular outside back. Hopoate too. Hopoate is solid and makes metres at least. Happy provided Kris comes straight in for Hopoate in Round 2. The wing selections are good.

Whitehead’s injury has offered up the chance for the coach to include both Guler and Saulo, but the best thing is, Mariota seems to have jumped at least one of them.

Yeah, I’m actually very happy with the team except for Levi over Woolford. Hoppa vs Schiller I don’t care about either, provided Kris is a straight swap for Hopoate and there’s no funny business there (Hoppa to wing or Kris to fullback).

I really hope Levi can prove us all wrong, but he’s got over 100 NRL games that says he won’t.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Nickman wrote: March 6, 2024, 5:11 am
greeneyed wrote:Haven’t had time to comment on the team… my main concern is Levi starting. I don’t know what Zac Woolford does every off season to **** off Ricky Stuart but it happens every year. Woolford should be starting, Levi not in the team.

Yeah, I’m actually very happy with the team except for Levi over Woolford. Hoppa vs Schiller I don’t care about either, provided Kris is a straight swap for Hopoate and there’s no funny business there (Hoppa to wing or Kris to fullback).

I really hope Levi can prove us all wrong, but he’s got over 100 NRL games that says he won’t.
But by God does he train hard.
The Ang
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by The Ang »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 6, 2024, 5:14 am

😂😂😂

In all seriousness, Fog shouldn’t be the most under pressure in our spine-it should be Levi. Train hard we don’t care, you play to win and his career % win rate is laughable with the amount of starts he has had
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:

I wonder if that’s all it is, he puts in super efforts over the off season and it’s enough to bamboozle the supercoach until about Round 6 where he realises “hang on a second, this bloke can’t play”
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:Apparently we can’t all figure it… let me walk you through this.. we’ll go slow, I know you need that…

That 2018 was a time in which those footballers were representative players.
None of those names matter anymore.

6 years is a long time in sports. Who gives a **** how good you were in 2018 in 2024?

We were an amazing attacking team in 1994 too. It doesn’t count for **** all in 2024
I'm talking about how our team is coached to play and the type of players named to play, by our current coach.

I'm talking about the narrative that Stuart can only coach crashball style attack and has an allergic reaction young players. I'm talking about the comments made about Savage being squeezed out of the club because he ran over Stuart's dog. It's all nonsense when you look back at his time here.

In response you make references to rep players in other teams in 2018 and what our attack was like when Tim Sheens coached us 30 years ago in a weird attempt to discredit my viewpoint. It's Afgtnk quality stuff.

It's boring and irrelevant.

I have issues with some of Stuart's methods too, and the way he sticks with some dud players. The difference is I like to bring some balance to the narrative, which you clearly have a problem with.

I can't help you mate, but your responses to my posts are increasingly more boring as time goes on.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Botman wrote:Apparently we can’t all figure it… let me walk you through this.. we’ll go slow, I know you need that…

That 2018 was a time in which those footballers were representative players.
None of those names matter anymore.

6 years is a long time in sports. Who gives a **** how good you were in 2018 in 2024?

We were an amazing attacking team in 1994 too. It doesn’t count for **** all in 2024
I'm talking about how our team is coached to play and the type of players named to play, by our current coach.

I'm talking about the narrative that Stuart can only coach crashball style attack and has an allergic reaction young players. I'm talking about the comments made about Savage being squeezed out of the club because he ran over Stuart's dog. It's all nonsense when you look back at his time here.

In response you make references to rep players in other teams in 2018 and what our attack was like when Tim Sheens coached us 30 years ago in a weird attempt to discredit my viewpoint. It's Afgtnk quality stuff.

I have issues with some of Stuart's methods too, and the way he sticks with some dud players. The difference is I like to bring some balance to the narrative, which you clearly have a problem with.

I can't help you mate, but your responses to my posts are increasingly more boring as time goes on.

You make some very valid points, Seiff. The 2017-18 attack, if it had been employed alongside our 2019 defence, would’ve damn near netted us a premiership, at least had us entrenched in the Top 4 the next half a decade.

It’s bizarre how far away we went from such free flowing and brilliant attack, when all we needed to do was sure up our defence.

Blows my mind the coach thinks you can only have one and not the other.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote:2017 and 2018 we were an amazing attacking team and missed the 8, because our defence was rubbish.

Since then, our focus went to defence and now our attack is rubbish (our defence isn’t all that great these days either).

But to coin an old Botmanism, you’re allowed to have both, guys. Good teams do, you don’t need to pick one!
Much of our play last year was rubbish.

Wighton, Croker and Whitehead were largely rubbish. Guler was rubbish, as was Levi. Starling was rubbish for most of the season.

Hopoate and HSS were rubbish. Cotric was ordinary. Kris struggled being thrown in at fullback. Savage wasn't ready to play.

Timoko, Horsburgh and Tapine were outstanding. Young was up and down. Mariota looked good at the end.

We all saw it. Most of the team were terrible, some were great. By all means blame the coach, have at it.

2023 was the biggest transition year we've had since the pommy contingent was signed. I can see the plan we have as a club and I'm right behind it. To do so, I'm not just going to focus on what happened last year.

The coach is not an idiot. He clearly knows you need a quality attack and solid defence. A cursory glance at our signings and recruitment targets tell you that. A cursory glance at our record over the years indicates he can coach both.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I am sure that Levy has a future in the fitness industry post football. I did feel sorry for him last year copping two broken jaws - no one wants to see that. But once Woolford got back into the 9 jersey the side played better. Woolfs defensive skill level went up from 2022 and his passing is better than anything currently available for FG at the Raiders. We see Levy play ok in NSW Cup because that's his level. He will be a target in the defensive line.

Speaking of targets in the defensive line, Hoppa v Gagai :nooo At least Hoppa won't have to use his 'sit down' bomb catching technique at center.

On the positive side I am looking forward to watching Smithies and Hosking in the defensive line for the Raiders. EW 'calf' injury? I hope they take it to the vet and it recovers soon.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:
The Nickman wrote:2017 and 2018 we were an amazing attacking team and missed the 8, because our defence was rubbish.

Since then, our focus went to defence and now our attack is rubbish (our defence isn’t all that great these days either).

But to coin an old Botmanism, you’re allowed to have both, guys. Good teams do, you don’t need to pick one!

Wighton, Croker and Whitehead were largely rubbish. Guler was rubbish, as was Levi. Starling was rubbish for most of the season.

Hopoate and HSS were rubbish. Cotric was ordinary. Kris struggled being thrown in at fullback. Savage wasn't ready to play.

Timoko, Horsburgh and Tapine were outstanding. Young was up and down. Mariota looked good at the end.

We all saw it. Most of the team were terrible, some were great. By all means blame the coach, have at it.

2023 was the biggest transition year we've had since the pommy contingent was signed. I can see the plan we have as a club and I'm right behind it. To do so, I'm not just going to focus on what happened last year.

The coach is not an idiot. He clearly knows you need a quality attack and solid defence. A cursory glance at our signings and recruitment targets tell you that. A cursory glance at our record over the years indicates he can coach both.

Absolutely nothing indicates he can do both at the same time, however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

Absolutely nothing indicates he can do both at the same time, however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, hopefully he can get us doing both well enough to make another prelim in the next couple of seasons.

Toots, Wighton and HSS are gone. Whitehead is on the way out and Hoppa is just hanging in there. Hopefully Savage has a good game and Kris comes back fit and firing.

I think all of us want to be in the mix. The key ingredient for winning the comp is a top 4 quality defence.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Guler continues to be the most bizarre GH scapegoat I’ve encountered. No, he never became a top tier prop but he wouldn’t be getting paid like one either. But he’s so much better than he’s given credit for on here.

He’d be locked in starting front rower at a few other clubs. It’s not his fault the coach picks him over some young fellas. I think he’s clearly a better prop than Saulo. He’s the bigger issue having been signed and road block the others when it was so unnecessary.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Guler is ok, he just doesn't seem to show much improvement year to year and his ceiling is low because he is a bit of a throwback to the lumbering big man prop that was in style about a decade ago. I'm not convinced Saulo can't be the better player with a little improvement.

Mooney has a much higher ceiling but I think Ricky adheres to the idea that middles are only generally ready for the NRL after about 25 and that you can't carry more than one younger one in the side. Which probably has some merit.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

julian87 wrote:Guler continues to be the most bizarre GH scapegoat I’ve encountered. No, he never became a top tier prop but he wouldn’t be getting paid like one either. But he’s so much better than he’s given credit for on here.

He’d be locked in starting front rower at a few other clubs. It’s not his fault the coach picks him over some young fellas. I think he’s clearly a better prop than Saulo. He’s the bigger issue having been signed and road block the others when it was so unnecessary.
I am not his biggest fan. He can seem like he is not switched on and errors constantly creep into his game.

I will say though, last year was one of his better years. There seemed to be less dumb errors. I don’t mind him as a big body coming off the bench. Hopefully the pressure of all those coming up around him pays off and we see him go to another level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 6, 2024, 5:54 am I'm talking about how our team is coached to play and the type of players named to play, by our current coach.

I just post and respond based on the content of the post and when you are trying to bring balance to a discussion about our attacking style of football by citing what the coach and team did six years ago... i mean what are we doing here? 6 years ago? What relevance is that in 2024? My post simply highlighted what world we were living in 6 years ago and the players who were at the top of their game 6 years ago, most of which are now out of the league! 6 years is a long time in sport. What was 6 years ago IMO has no relevance to what is now.

The game itself has actually undergone a fairly massive change when you consider the rules and interpretation changes under PVL. Teams are spending more time at either ends and less time wrestling for the middle than ever before.
The game imo is now a game of being able to absorb periods of sustained pressure and being able to cash in on sustained pressure.
And the record since these changes came in would indicate our coach and this team have done a poor job of adjusting to the new norm. He's got endless job security so he's going to keep getting opportunities to figure it out and hopefully a young crop of extremely talented players will help him do that. But so far? Not great, Bob!

Nothing personal. If you feel a way about it, you might need to spend some time with yourself unpacking that. But that's a you problem, friend.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

It should be Woolford over Levi, no Starling and probably Schiller over Hoppa - but these are all tinkering, really.

But this is the second season in a row where the Raiders haven't had a full back.

I know Rapana is a legend at this club - and rightly so - but right now he only gets into a handful of NRL sides on the wing and absolutely zero other teams at full back.

He simply doesn't have the structured game in attack or defence to make a impact from the back over any length of time.

I know Stewart is a fine player in the making, but it's criminal that this hasn't been solved for a second consecutive season.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

I don't know about you guys but I was impressed with Levi in the trials. Showed some improvement on last season. Woolford didn't look fit or fast. Levi looked to be playing with a higher tempo which I think we need to score points.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That's the problem with Levi though
He's always looked better at lower levels, it's what he does on NRL Game day that gives me cause for concern... but in saying that there is a reason why im not as vocal about the Levi selection, based on trial form, he did probably earn first crack.

He's got yet another opportunity, few in the game have been granted as many as he has... after 100 games and 8 years in FG im going to need to actually see him perform at NRL level for a consistent period of time before i believe him capable of it.
We know that the team looked substantially better in the last few years with Woolford at hooker so i hope this is a short leash situation... if Levi comes in and performs well, he should hold the job, but if we get substandard hooker play in the opening 2 weeks, Woolford should be in by week 3
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 6, 2024, 8:41 am

I don't know about you guys but I was impressed with Levi in the trials. Showed some improvement on last season. Woolford didn't look fit or fast. Levi looked to be playing with a higher tempo which I think we need to score points.
Some people have picked a position on Levi and stuck a flag in the ground so deep they can’t remove it. He is the best 9 at the club and showed that in the trials.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: March 6, 2024, 9:12 am That's the problem with Levi though
He's always looked better at lower levels, it's what he does on NRL Game day that gives me cause for concern... but in saying that there is a reason why im not as vocal about the Levi selection, based on trial form, he did probably earn first crack.

He's got yet another opportunity, few in the game have been granted as many as he has... after 100 games and 8 years in FG im going to need to actually see him perform at NRL level for a consistent period of time before i believe him capable of it.
We know that the team looked substantially better in the last few years with Woolford at hooker so i hope this is a short leash situation... if Levi comes in and performs well, he should hold the job, but if we get substandard hooker play in the opening 2 weeks, Woolford should be in by week 3
I like Woolford but if we are serious we are probably talking about a situation where the coach is favouring a Reggies hooker in Levi over a bottom 1/3 hooker in the league in Woolford.

I think the frustration for many is not so much that Woolford is a saviour being overlooked, it is that even if he is not perfect his output has been objectively much better than Levi or Starling over recent years.

The best thing we can hope for is that Trev comes through and makes the discussion about average (Woolford) v below average (Levi and arguably Starling) hookers less materially relevant to our fortunes.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 6, 2024, 9:31 am

I like Woolford but if we are serious we are probably talking about a situation where the coach is favouring a Reggies hooker in Levi over a bottom 1/3 hooker in the league in Woolford.

I think the frustration for many is not so much that Woolford is a saviour being overlooked, it is that even if he is not perfect his output has been objectively much better than Levi or Starling over recent years.

The best thing we can hope for is that Trev comes through and makes the discussion about average (Woolford) v below average (Levi and arguably Starling) hookers less materially relevant to our fortunes.
I hope he can do that too, however he's starting from a base of the bench of NSW Cup, behind Levi, Starling and Woolford (and possibly even Puru).
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I'm no Levi fan boy but Stuart was probably never going to toss him aside after only 120mins of first grade for the club.
I also think Woolfords form was very ordinary in 2023 and people are probably remembering his 2022 season
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

It comes down to a poor recruitment choice. An ok stint in the UK doesn't wipe out the crap he dished up at Manly, Knights and the Broncos.
I really hope he does well now that he is selected but we have seen enough that Woolford suits our team better.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Mickey_Raider wrote:

I think Levi gets it based mostly on his superior fitness and better defence. Woolford needs to be more committed to his fitness if he wants that 9 jersey, at any club he plays at.

The frustrating part for me is we have one of the best packs in the comp yet at the start of last season we didn't look like we were, simply because of the poor service from Levi. We couldn't get on any sort of roll. I hope with more time here he has developed better combinations with his pack.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 6, 2024, 9:31 am

100% agree
I don’t think the long term solution is in the squad. Woolford is simply in my mind the best of a bad lot

Couple of good young kids at the club in hooker but buying a short term 2-3 year solution should be considered.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

MrPosh wrote: March 6, 2024, 8:09 am I know Rapana is a legend at this club - and rightly so - but right now he only gets into a handful of NRL sides on the wing
That’s just not really true. The only team he wouldn’t walk into is Easts imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote: March 6, 2024, 10:13 am
MrPosh wrote: March 6, 2024, 8:09 am I know Rapana is a legend at this club - and rightly so - but right now he only gets into a handful of NRL sides on the wing
They haven't been called Easts since before you were watching rugby league, give it up, m8... please.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

julian87 wrote:Guler continues to be the most bizarre GH scapegoat I’ve encountered. No, he never became a top tier prop but he wouldn’t be getting paid like one either. But he’s so much better than he’s given credit for on here.

I'm sure Guler is getting paid around what he is worth on the market.

He has the physical ability to bend the line, but rarely does so. His endurance is average. His contact in defence improved last year, but he still drops off too many tackles, particularly defending the line. I think his poor defence led to six try causes last season.

The thing that gets me is his play the ball speed. The guy seems to play with zero urgency or intensity.

At the end of the day he's a guy you can bring off the bench with reasonable confidence. In a year of below-par performances from many players I guess he wasn't one of the worst, but he has the ability to improve.

Stuart has obviously given him first crack off the bench over other front row options. The rest is up to him.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote: March 6, 2024, 10:27 am
They haven't been called Easts since before you were watching rugby league, give it up, m8... please.
I guess you don't hear the "East's " chant at their home games
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m with Posh on this one. I get people find it hard to separate sentiment from logic and I appreciate that Rapa is apparently fitter than he has been in previous years, but it is a big problem that he is fill in fullback and first pick wing. It says as much about our other options as it does about him. We need Stewart, Asomua, Schiller, Weekes, Savage and every other young talent to be pushing past. Rapa has been great, but unfortunately ‘has been’ are the key words there.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: March 6, 2024, 10:42 am
They will always be easts, just like Balmain
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

East chant at the GF to a reply to our Viking clap was awesome .
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Levi has only featured in 4 NRL games for us. I am not sure how he has been written off so emphatically.

Early in his career, I remember him impressing. To the point where he made the kiwi side.

Whilst I don't think he is the long term solution I do think his ceiling is clearly higher than Zac Woolford's and he should be given an opportunity to show that in our forward pack. Servicing Joe Tapine, Papalii and Hors could make any hooker look better than they are and I am happy with the selection as Woolford showed nothing in 2023 compared to 22 form and looks slower again this season.

If it's not Levi, and he does in fact go as the experts on here suggest, we need to be looking at someone asap for the 2025 season in that role.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

So here it is fellas... the wing combinations named for each team this weekend... there might be some cases where injury has played a role but for the most part these are the wingers teams are going into their season with the idea that these guys are the best:

Manly: Saab and Paulo
Souths: Johnston and Gagai
Easts: Tupou and Suaalii
Broncos: Arthur and Mariner
Knights: Tuala and Marzhew
Warriors: DWZ and Montoya
Storm: Warbrick and Coates
Sharks: Katoa and Mulitalo
Panthers: Turuva and To'o
Eels: Simonsson and Russell
Bulldogs: Wilson and JAC
Titans: Khan-Pereira and Sami
Dragons: Lomax and Ravalawa
Dolphins: Isaako and Bostock
Cowboys: Feldt and Taulagi

There are 10 clubs there where i don't even think its up for debate that Jordan Rapana is better than one of the guys named. Add in the Tigers and you have 11. And not was better, actually is better right now
The only sides i go the other way on and say he's definitely not getting into is Easts and Penrith.
Last edited by Botman on March 6, 2024, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Billy Walker wrote: March 6, 2024, 10:52 am
dubby wrote: March 6, 2024, 10:42 am
They will always be easts, just like Balmain
It's not Balmain though, is it?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.