Total votes: 28

Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: 2024 Rd 1 v Knights: Teams and Previews

Post by Regs Revolution »

BadnMean wrote: March 3, 2024, 6:43 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: March 2, 2024, 5:43 pm

I'd have Puru at 14 as my main change to that lineup but I know we're not going to see it. I hope we do eventually get there at some point in the season though.
I like all the things Puru can do with the ball in hand. He looked sharp in the brief trial minutes I saw (20 minute stint?). He does seem to get battered in FG the couple of times I've seen him- HIA's which may just be bad luck or may be a sign there are aspects of being a middle in FG he's going to be challenged by.

As a 14 it'd be handy to have half cover. His best path might be to develop hooker skills further also and make the bench hooker redundant. 2 props, Hosking for backrow/outside backs and Puru as hooker/mobile middle/halves cover could work. I doubt until later in the season though.
I feel like a case of bad luck for him with the two HIAs. Both unfortunate positions he’s found himself in.

People are asking why some people are banging on about it him, he’s got skill! He’s got the motor. He played first receiver for a moment in the trial, he can play lock and has played 9. Imo, he needs a spot in the team, no matter where it may be. I would love for him to hone his skills in the 9 jersey.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 3, 2024, 7:25 am

I'd have Puru at 14 as my main change to that lineup but I know we're not going to see it. I hope we do eventually get there at some point in the season though.
I like all the things Puru can do with the ball in hand. He looked sharp in the brief trial minutes I saw (20 minute stint?). He does seem to get battered in FG the couple of times I've seen him- HIA's which may just be bad luck or may be a sign there are aspects of being a middle in FG he's going to be challenged by.

As a 14 it'd be handy to have half cover. His best path might be to develop hooker skills further also and make the bench hooker redundant. 2 props, Hosking for backrow/outside backs and Puru as hooker/mobile middle/halves cover could work. I doubt until later in the season though.
I feel like a case of bad luck for him with the two HIAs. Both unfortunate positions he’s found himself in.

People are asking why some people are banging on about it him, he’s got skill! He’s got the motor. He played first receiver for a moment in the trial, he can play lock and has played 9. Imo, he needs a spot in the team, no matter where it may be. I would love for him to hone his skills in the 9 jersey.
I think the challenge is we already have players who can do what he does.

Not sure the NRL is where he should be honing his skills at 9. Maybe some time there in Cup would have him lock down the 14 jersey. As it stands he is a full in at 9 at NSW cup level and a very good lock at NSW cup level.

His competitors for the role of 13 include a 23 year old super league winner, challenge cup winner and England international along with an origin representative.

Without the well refined skills at 9 his selection at 14 is hard to justify IMO. That said, his competitors for the 9 jersey are much less credintialed and with some work he could easily usurp them IMO.
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

Raiders_Pat wrote: March 2, 2024, 11:29 am Predicted team:
1. Rapana
2. Cotric
3. Timoko
4. Schiller
5. Savage
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Levi
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Smithies

14. Starling
15. Mariota
16. Hosking
17. Mooney

18. Hopoate
This will be close, I think we'll see Mariota starting, Papalii to the bench and Saulo in for Mooney.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Rapa at fullback troubles me. Yes he can do a job there and is often very good. He mixes the good with the odd crazy but beyond that it just seems short sighted. Between Stewart, Savage, Weekes and even Kris you have 4 options that could become part of your spine for the next 5-10 years if one steps up and owns it. Even if Rapa does a great job we will be in the exact same spot this time next year trying to lock down a fullback. If we think we are a premiership chance this year and Rapa is our best number 1 then by all means pick him. I think we should be trying to find our long term solution to the 1 jumper and putting Raps back on the wing.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Billy Walker wrote: March 3, 2024, 9:37 am Rapa at fullback troubles me. Yes he can do a job there and is often very good. He mixes the good with the odd crazy but beyond that it just seems short sighted. Between Stewart, Savage, Weekes and even Kris you have 4 options that could become part of your spine for the next 5-10 years if one steps up and owns it. Even if Rapa does a great job we will be in the exact same spot this time next year trying to lock down a fullback. If we think we are a premiership chance this year and Rapa is our best number 1 then by all means pick him. I think we should be trying to find our long term solution to the 1 jumper and putting Raps back on the wing.
Fair call.

However, it's also about getting certain players in the 17. Cotric, Savage and Rapana are players that arguably deserve a crack.

I'd personally like to see -

1. Weekes
2. Rapana
5. Savage
6. Strange

I think we're pretty dangerous in attack with that mix of speed, skill, energy and athleticism.

Chevy is the long term 1 but he doesn't seem ready. If he can get 10-15 games of NRL this season I'd suggest that's a win moving into 25 with him asap certainty for round 1.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 3, 2024, 10:01 am
Billy Walker wrote: March 3, 2024, 9:37 am Rapa at fullback troubles me. Yes he can do a job there and is often very good. He mixes the good with the odd crazy but beyond that it just seems short sighted. Between Stewart, Savage, Weekes and even Kris you have 4 options that could become part of your spine for the next 5-10 years if one steps up and owns it. Even if Rapa does a great job we will be in the exact same spot this time next year trying to lock down a fullback. If we think we are a premiership chance this year and Rapa is our best number 1 then by all means pick him. I think we should be trying to find our long term solution to the 1 jumper and putting Raps back on the wing.
Fair call.

However, it's also about getting certain players in the 17. Cotric, Savage and Rapana are players that arguably deserve a crack.

I'd personally like to see -

1. Weekes
2. Rapana
5. Savage
6. Strange

I think we're pretty dangerous in attack with that mix of speed, skill, energy and athleticism.

Chevy is the long term 1 but he doesn't seem ready. If he can get 10-15 games of NRL this season I'd suggest that's a win moving into 25 with him asap certainty for round 1.
I’d be happy with that line up. Looking to the future, we need someone to step up and take over from Rapa this year. Whether that is Asomua, Hoppa, Schiller, Stewart or someone else I’m not too fussed. Rapa is undoubtedly in our best 17 at the moment, but he won’t be in our next grand final team. He will be hard to replace but we need to look to the future.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I agree, if Chevy can’t make the team in Round 1, Weekes is the best used at fullback. Strange really has earned the No. 6. I’m interpreting the comment from Brock Shepperd as meaning that Weekes has the No. 6 however (could be wrong).
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Weekes didn't spend a minute at fullback in the trial, I'd be surprised if he is even considered for the role. I have Strange at 6 but we have a hole in the centres for Round 1 and probably see Strange or Hoppa there.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I wouldn’t rule Schiller out for a round 1 centre position. I’d be surprised if Weekes wasn’t part of the considerations for fullback. He’s played there before and knows the position. It’s like saying Fog didn’t spend any time in the halves in the trials so won’t be considered.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 3, 2024, 10:14 am Weekes didn't spend a minute at fullback in the trial, I'd be surprised if he is even considered for the role.
I think that’s right too. Reportedly he wasn’t training at fullback.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

My bet is Strange is named at 6 or not at all. And right now all signs point to not at all with Weekes getting the nod to start. Which is not what I’d do. Should be strange at RH IMO. But none the less I’ll be excited to see what Weekes has got if he’s named

Think Schiller is going to be the Kris centre replacement

Think the fullback spot was a decision between Rapana and Stewart with Rapana taking the cookies because they feel Chevy isn’t quite ready

There isn’t really a combination of wingers that would surprise me, save for Asomua. Cotric/Hoppa Hoppa/Savage Savage/Cotric, none would shock me and I’m very interested to see which way they go. For me it should be Cotric/Savage with Asomua breathing down their necks

I’ll be shocked if it’s anything but Levi and Starling to begin the year at hooker

And I think most of the pack picks itself the bench is probably the first selection I’ll look at on Tuesday after the #6
Who’s there and what the construction looks like will be either breathe hope into me or crush me with disappointment
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Billy Walker wrote: March 3, 2024, 10:25 am I wouldn’t rule Schiller out for a round 1 centre position. I’d be surprised if Weekes wasn’t part of the considerations for fullback. He’s played there before and knows the position. It’s like saying Fog didn’t spend any time in the halves in the trials so won’t be considered.
Not a fair comparison. Fogs is an older player been at the club for a few years. Weekes new to the club, next to no 1st grade in either position .

Yeah Schiller is a chance, I agree, I just think Hoppa is a Ricky favourite.

Personally I'm leaning towards they pick Strange to play centre Round 1.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 3, 2024, 7:37 am

Not sure the NRL is where he should be honing his skills at 9. Maybe some time there in Cup would have him lock down the 14 jersey. As it stands he is a full in at 9 at NSW cup level and a very good lock at NSW cup level.

His competitors for the role of 13 include a 23 year old super league winner, challenge cup winner and England international along with an origin representative.

Without the well refined skills at 9 his selection at 14 is hard to justify IMO. That said, his competitors for the 9 jersey are much less credintialed and with some work he could easily usurp them IMO.
If you’re referring to the 9 jersey, I strongly disagree. 13, yes. I don’t see him getting a run behind Horse and Smithies (although I believe Horse should be starting prop). However he needs to be in the team and I can see him being a strong 9.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 3, 2024, 10:45 am
Billy Walker wrote: March 3, 2024, 10:25 am I wouldn’t rule Schiller out for a round 1 centre position. I’d be surprised if Weekes wasn’t part of the considerations for fullback. He’s played there before and knows the position. It’s like saying Fog didn’t spend any time in the halves in the trials so won’t be considered.
Not a fair comparison. Fogs is an older player been at the club for a few years. Weekes new to the club, next to no 1st grade in either position .

I say we should just be brave and pick Stewart at 1 and Rapa on the wing. If the kid gets carved up early swap him with Raps. You could even put Stewart at 1, Strange at 6 and find a way to get Weekes on the bench in case either of them struggles.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 3, 2024, 11:07 am

If you’re referring to the 9 jersey, I strongly disagree. 13, yes. I don’t see him getting a run behind Horse and Smithies (although I believe Horse should be starting prop). However he needs to be in the team and I can see him being a strong 9.
You can see him being a strong 9, or you really hope he might be able to become a strong 9?

You like what you have seen from him playing in a position that isn’t 9. There is no evidence he can play 9 and if he did he would be playing a role that wouldn’t give him the scope to do the things you liked about him in the first/second receiver role.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Billy Walker wrote: March 3, 2024, 11:10 am

I say we should just be brave and pick Stewart at 1 and Rapa on the wing. If the kid gets carved up early swap him with Raps. You could even put Stewart at 1, Strange at 6 and find a way to get Weekes on the bench in case either of them struggles.
That's not brave silly Billy, that's stupid
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Neeeegz wrote: March 3, 2024, 12:08 pm

If you say so Neeeeegz. Far be it from me to argue with someone with such profound experience in stupidity.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Mate I was actually referring to him in the 13. As for the 9, I think he could but probably needs a few more runs on the board at this stage.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Billy Walker wrote: March 3, 2024, 12:16 pm

If you say so Neeeeegz. Far be it from me to argue with someone with such profound experience in stupidity.
Using big words makes you sound even dumber
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 3, 2024, 1:19 pm

Mate I was actually referring to him in the 13. As for the 9, I think he could but probably needs a few more runs on the board at this stage.
I think it’s unlikely he will reach the heights some are suggesting. If he had a bigger frame it would help him. I suspect he will etch out a respectable career as a fringe player/back up.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Neeeegz wrote: March 3, 2024, 1:34 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 3, 2024, 12:16 pm

Using big words makes you sound even dumber
The two biggest words I used were “experience” and “Neeeeegz”. One is your name, and if you’re struggling with the other I’m not sure I can help you brother :roflmao
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

This could be the most exciting Tuesday ever.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:This could be the most exciting Tuesday ever.
*sticky "hold my beer"*

Levi
Hoppa
Saulo
Guler

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The more I hear comments from within the club the more I think Stuart will be going with something like this:

1. Rapana
2. Hopoate
3. Strange
4. Timoko
5. Cotric
6. Weekes
7. Fogarty

If so, this is essentially the team he left 2023 with, with just Weekes replacing Wighton. Remember, Strange played in the centres in his one game last year to date.

If so, entirely uninspiring by the coach and it means the trials were essentially a waste of time.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

The Nickman wrote: March 3, 2024, 4:39 pm The more I hear comments from within the club the more I think Stuart will be going with something like this:

1. Rapana
2. Hopoate
3. Strange
4. Timoko
5. Cotric
6. Weekes
7. Fogarty

If so, this is essentially the team he left 2023 with, with just Weekes replacing Wighton. Remember, Strange played in the centres in his one game last year to date.

If so, entirely uninspiring by the coach and it means the trials were essentially a waste of time.
Agreed. I really believe Savage deserves a shot on the wing.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: March 3, 2024, 4:39 pm The more I hear comments from within the club the more I think Stuart will be going with something like this:

1. Rapana
2. Hopoate
3. Strange
4. Timoko
5. Cotric
6. Weekes
7. Fogarty

That looks the safest, least aspirational lineup you can possibly make. Lock it in.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I saw something during the coverage today that we are paying $7 to record the most losses this year, with only Tigers and Bulldogs shorter priced. I don’t agree with those odds, but they do suggest the experts believe our most likely isn’t very good. To me that is why we need to take risks and unearth a few players.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: March 3, 2024, 5:49 pm

1. Rapana
2. Hopoate
3. Strange
4. Timoko
5. Cotric
6. Weekes
7. Fogarty

That looks the safest, least aspirational lineup you can possibly make. Lock it in.
My fear is Tuesday we see that backline named but with Schiller over Strange
and it's coupled with a bench of 14. Starling 15. Guler 16. Saulo 17. Hosking

I cant tell you how much that would kill my excitement for the season ahead... only a few days left, hope Stuart trusts the young blokes.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:

1. Rapana
2. Hopoate
3. Strange
4. Timoko
5. Cotric
6. Weekes
7. Fogarty

I cant tell you how much that would kill my excitement for the season ahead... only a few days left, hope Stuart trusts the young blokes.
lock it in eddie

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:

1. Rapana
2. Hopoate
3. Strange
4. Timoko
5. Cotric
6. Weekes
7. Fogarty

Don’t forget the final icing on the cake with the Danny Levi Show!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

So much negativity on here. I’m looking forward to see who is named and how they go. I’m fairly certain the 17 that run out week 1 won’t be the same 17 that runs out all year so I wouldn’t sweat it too much.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Swap out Hoppa for Schiller or Savage and I wouldn't have much issue with that backline.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: March 3, 2024, 6:37 pm Don’t forget the final icing on the cake with the Danny Levi Show!
That's a forgone conclusion and has been for a while so i've come to terms with that. If he doesnt perform i hope Stuart has an itchy trigger finger on that

Ill be happy if it's Strange at RH, one of Savage/Asomua on the wing and 2 of Ata, Puru and Mooney in the 17.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Just putting on record I think you guys are jumping at shadows regarding Strange.
He’s a lock for the 6.

Schiller will get the centre spot.

Wing is a lottery, and I think Ricky has put the wind up Cotric, but he will get a spot. No idea on the other one.
As an aside, I don’t think any of them are good enough or bad enough to make that much of a difference.

Levi for 9. Probably deserves a good shot at it.

Mariota is a lock for bench.
The other bench is middle is more of a lottery than wing :lol:

We saw today the broncos lost their edge to a concussion and had to move Carrigan as they didn’t have a capable edge on the bench. They lost a lot due to that.
A capable 9 and Edge on the bench is a must in today’s game.
Hosking and Starling provides a very good bench option.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Beejay wrote: March 3, 2024, 7:32 pm Just putting on record I think you guys are jumping at shadows regarding Strange.
He’s a lock for the 6.

Schiller will get the centre spot.

Wing is a lottery, and I think Ricky has put the wind up Cotric, but he will get a spot. No idea on the other one.
As an aside, I don’t think any of them are good enough or bad enough to make that much of a difference.

Levi for 9. Probably deserves a good shot at it.

Mariota is a lock for bench.
The other bench is middle is more of a lottery than wing :lol:

We saw today the broncos lost their edge to a concussion and had to move Carrigan as they didn’t have a capable edge on the bench. They lost a lot due to that.
A capable 9 and Edge on the bench is a must in today’s game.
Hosking and Starling provides a very good bench option.
Yeah that was very noticeable today. When we had Havilli in the 14 he covered the 9 but also gave options to shuffle things to cover an edge. I agree cover is needed for both, but question if longer term we should be looking for one player who can do both. Maybe that could be Puru?