Brock Shepperd joins Raiders as NSW Cup coach

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Brock Shepperd joins Raiders as NSW Cup coach

Post by greeneyed »

Manly Sea Eagles lower grade coach Brock Shepperd to join Canberra Raiders

The departure of Brock Shepperd for the Raiders has seen Wayne Lambkin promoted to the Sea Eagles NRL coaching staff. Lambkin was initially appointed Jersey Flegg Coach for 2024. Through his new role, Lambkin will also coach the Blacktown Sea Eagles in the NSW Cup next year.

“We made the tough decision to let Brock go to the Canberra Raiders,’’ Seibold said. “There was an opportunity for us to improve our full-time coaching staff, so we promoted Wayne Lambkin.

Read more: https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2023/ ... ing-staff/

Shepperd coached Mounties in NSW Cup for 14 games in the back half of 2022, and was NSW Cup assistant at the Sea Eagles in 2023. He was to take over as head coach at Blacktown Sea Eagles NSW Cup and to be an NRL assistant coach in 2024. He’s coming to take over from Giteau as NSW Cup coach. He’s previously been with the Penrith Panthers (2007-2017) and Wests Tigers (2018-2020). He’s also been a host of the Fifth and Last podcast. Was close to Darrin Borthwick while at Mounties.

He speaks about his coaching background on the most recent Fifth and Last podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/f ... 0630303620
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Manly Sea Eagles coach Brock Sheppard to join Raiders

Post by Coastalraider »

Love listening to Brock on 5th and last, will be a must listen next year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Brock Sheppard joins Raiders as NSW Cup Coach

Post by greeneyed »

Brock Shepperd joins Canberra Raiders as NSW Cup Coach

The Canberra Raiders have confirmed the appointment of Brock Shepperd as the club’s NSW Cup coach.

Shepperd brings plenty of experience to the role, having spent time at multiple clubs including the Panthers, Tigers and Mounties.

Last year, Shepperd was the NSW Cup assistant coach for the Blacktown Sea Eagles.

Shepperd has taken over the Raiders NSW Cup coaching role from Justin Giteau, who has been elevated to NRL assistant coach this season.

Shepperd said that he is excited to take on a more hands-on coaching role and that he is already settling into the club well.

“It’s obviously a fantastic opportunity. I was pretty settled at Manly but I’ve got a few connections down here and having spoken to Ricky and others, it just seemed like too good of an opportunity to pass up,” Shepperd said.

“The family is excited, we felt really comfortable since the day we walked in here…everyone has been brilliant, really welcoming. I feel right at home.”

With plenty of exciting young players coming through the ranks, Shepperd said having a background in junior reps development coaching will help him grow that crop of players.

“That’s the core of my job, trying to progress as many players as I possibly can up into first grade,” Shepperd said.

“Obviously we want to get results and we want to win but I think the most important thing is that I’m making Ricky’s job hard, making selections difficult.

"If he’s got more players that can play first grade then the club is going to be in a stronger position.”

Canberra Raiders media
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Isn’t he the guy that came up with that move where the first receiver carried the ball behind both centres before picking up a wide runner? I think they named it after him.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Never heard of him.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Billy Walker wrote: January 18, 2024, 6:18 pm Isn’t he the guy that came up with that move where the first receiver carried the ball behind both centres before picking up a wide runner? I think they named it after him.
Then the wide runner throws it to the fullback in the end zone , does that sound right 🤪
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Bennyboy2283 wrote: January 19, 2024, 3:24 pm
Billy Walker wrote: January 18, 2024, 6:18 pm Isn’t he the guy that came up with that move where the first receiver carried the ball behind both centres before picking up a wide runner? I think they named it after him.
Then the wide runner throws it to the fullback in the end zone , does that sound right 🤪
Nah - you know the one where the ball carrier runs behind two of his teammates. I’m sure it’s called a Sheppard move.
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Billy Walker wrote: January 19, 2024, 3:45 pm
Bennyboy2283 wrote: January 19, 2024, 3:24 pm
Nah - you know the one where the ball carrier runs behind two of his teammates. I’m sure it’s called a Sheppard move.

It’s called the Madden move
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Brock Shepperd joins Raiders as NSW Cup coach

Post by greeneyed »

New Canberra Raiders coach Brock Shepperd is excited by what he sees

The Canberra Raiders’ new NSW Cup coach, Brock Shepperd, believes the ‘Green Machine’ could be on the verge of following in the successful footsteps of Penrith Panthers. Shepperd, who cut his teeth as a coach in the pathways system at Penrith, feels a similar youthful revolution is now underway in the nation’s capital.

“I spent 10 years at the Panthers and I was in and around that Under 20s side – assistant coach to the Holden Cup then – when Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai, Dylan Edwards, Moses Leota, James Fisher-Harris and those others were coming through. It’s very similar to here in Canberra at the moment with some good, young kids coming on and pathways teams doing a fantastic job.”

Read more: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2024/03/0 ... t-he-sees/

PODCAST: Brock Shepperd speaks about his decision to move to the nation’s capital and previews the 2024 season on the Fifth and Last podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/f ... 0647226038
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Well of course he’s going to say that. “New Raiders coach Brock Shepperd questioning his life choices on day one of the job” wouldn’t be an ideal headline.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The most interesting thing, I thought, was what he said about Ethan and Chevy. But there were a number of interesting things. Worth reading the story.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

It's the right approach with the young players. Week in week out NRL will be a struggle for them.
The boys on the Bloke in a Bar podcast covered the same thing talking about Tallis Duncan .
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:It's the right approach with the young players. Week in week out NRL will be a struggle for them.
The boys on the Bloke in a Bar podcast covered the same thing talking about Tallis Duncan .
Got to take into account Tallis Duncan is a forward who has already played 7 NRL games and there is the benefit of being able to bring him in off the bench.

With a 5/8 and fullback at some stage you have to bit the bullet. I agree this might be a cameo or 2 for Stewart as the year goes on but without Sanders playing 7 I struggle to see the benefit of Strange playing NSW Cup.

If we did not have a bog average hooker on the bench there would be an opportunity to have him on the bench where he could cover the halves or backline or allow for Weeks and his pace to slot in a FB giving Jordan Grandpana a spell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

It was more about bringing him on slowly , he isn't named in the 17 this week.
Idea would be to drop them in and out of first grade throughout this year.
Ricky has shown to do that in the past as do many coaches
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Good to read someone new to the club been upbeat. I know he won't bad mouth them but he genuinely seems to be positive about the direction of the team. It's also interesting to read they use the same systems across grades because watching last year you would not have thought it. It gives me hope that we will eventually see the same sort of attack as the NSW cup team showed last year.

As for bringing on the younger players, It makes sense to me to bring Chevy on slowly because Rapana is genuinely a better fullback right now and Chevy is still small for the NRL. Weekes on the other hand is only a young player who has less experience as a half. He isn't so senior that he doesn't need to justify his spot to keep out Strange.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Good to have some younger minds in the mix at Raiders HQ. Both Sheppard and Giteau from a teaching background is a good foundation for developing talent. I'd imagine he transitions into Mick Crawley's role at some point.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Agreed. I've posted before how i really like when coaches have a background in teaching. My belief is good coaches are good teachers. So if he's got background in that role then it's a good foundation for knowing how to relate to people and access different methods to teach.

Coming with experience from a really good development system like Penrith can only be good too. New ideas, fresh perspectives.
Excited to see what he does with what is probably going to be a pretty raw but very talented NSW cup squad.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sam Williams on ABC Canberra Grandstand interview with Raiders NSW Cup coach Brock Shepperd.

Won’t bring players on too early. Will apply at all levels, NRL, NSW Cup and Flegg. Will bring them up, and drop them back as needed.

Need to make sure players are having fun, giving good feedback, have the player’s best interest at heart. Will be mirroring what is done at NRL level, change room, pre game and post game.

Ricky has wrestled with the No. 6 decision a bit, having a big session tomorrow and finalise the team on Monday… not just the trials, will take into account how the players have gone in training over the preseason. Jamal Fogarty will also get his say. Mentioned Ethan Strange has not had a full season playing against men. Both showed in the trials they are capable. As NSW Cup coach I’ll be happy whichever way Ricky goes.

Ricky Stuart was ringing me two or three times a week to check in with me on the move to Canberra, shown a lot of care to me and my family. A person you really want to work hard for. Has such a strong care level, passion for the club and city.

Want plans to be clear and simple, focus on the connection with the players.

I really like the sound of Brock, told his story again, sounds like a good fellow. Sammy is great radio talent. He just switches on and talks! Still working out how to press the buttons though!

PODCAST: ABC Canberra Grandstand with Sam Williams: https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/ ... d/episodes
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

By the way, this one was interesting too.

Joel Carbone on ABC Canberra Grandstand: https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/ ... /103426120

Carbone describes how the club goes about recruitment. He explains how he initiates all the junior recruitment, while at senior level, he and Ricky Stuart work together. There is a regular formal recruitment meeting process where he and coaches meet to analyse the positions that need to be bolstered and who might be targeted. He said he raises names when he hears things on the grapevine, but Ricky Stuart is very active in coming to him with names. At senior level, all recruitment activity requires the green light from Ricky Stuart.

Also…

Chris Hutchison, Raiders Elite Pathways Coach, on ABC Canberra Grandstand: https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/ ... /103454208
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Appreciate the insight. More interviews like this please.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: March 2, 2024, 11:42 am By the way, this one was interesting too.

Joel Carbone on ABC Canberra Grandstand: https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/ ... /103426120

Carbone describes how the club goes about recruitment. He explains how he initiates all the junior recruitment, while at senior level, he and Ricky Stuart work together. There is a regular formal recruitment meeting process where he and coaches meet to analyse the positions that need to be bolstered and who might be targeted. He said he raises names when he hears things on the grapevine, but Ricky Stuart is very active in coming to him with names. At senior level, all recruitment activity requires the green light from Ricky Stuart.

Also…

Chris Hutchison, Raiders Elite Pathways Coach, on ABC Canberra Grandstand: https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/ ... /103454208
I’m shocked Botman hasn’t commented on this.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Still recovering from the shock of such a mind bending revelation. It's really floored me.

But on a more serious note, i do hope this means i've explained this to people on this site for the last time. :lol:
Still blows my mind that people actually thought this could be any other way.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: March 2, 2024, 7:15 pm Still recovering from the shock of such a mind bending revelation. It's really floored me.

But on a more serious note, i do hope this means i've explained this to people on this site for the last time. :lol:
I’m betting that this year, someone on The GH complains Joel isn’t delivering any big name recruits.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 2, 2024, 7:31 pm
Botman wrote: March 2, 2024, 7:15 pm Still recovering from the shock of such a mind bending revelation. It's really floored me.

I’m betting that this year, someone on The GH complains Joel isn’t delivering any big name recruits.
The "what does Carbone even do! Hasnt recruited any big names" and the "cant believe DFJ agreed to pay player x that amount of money, sack him" posts are going to really grind my gears on the back of this :lol: