Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Rd 1 v Knights: Teams and Previews

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's a fine line. With a good quality pack and some firepower in the 3/4 line IMO we are a top quality fullback or hooker from contending for a 4-8 spot.

The forwards have shown they just need consistent service from our 9 to be effective.

If Young, Savage and Cotric can hit peak form it will take a bit of pressure off our fullback to make big kick return metres or provide the link in attack. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

julian87 wrote: February 28, 2024, 6:40 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: February 28, 2024, 6:31 pm
julian87 wrote: February 28, 2024, 5:53 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: February 28, 2024, 5:08 pm
julian87 wrote: February 28, 2024, 11:24 am I think wanting/expecting a top 8 finish is pretty crazy tbh. Canberra fell into the 8 last year.

The 4 teams that finished directly behind have unquestionably far, far superior playing rosters. Only injury or suspension to their most important players could see them bottling it and not overtaking Raiders imo. While the 7 other teams in the ‘23 top 8 are all also much better teams.

I look at the teams across the league this season and I don’t think it’s even an argument that we have the worst spine in the NRL. And there’s a big gap between maybe 15th and the last 2 clubs as well.

Consistently beating better teams can’t and won’t happen when that’s the case. There’s no short term fix but portions of the fan base expecting a top 8 finish won’t end well.
We might be starting the year with the "worst spine in the NRL" but that might not be where we finish. If that happens, combined with a strong performance from our pack we are a chance of the 8. I don't think it's likely that we do make the 8 as I think this year is the most competitive the competition has every been in my time. But where we start and where we finish in terms of our player ratings could be very different things.

Your view is just negative so as much as there are others who might have hopeful glasses on when looking at things you don't seem to see anything other than doomsday.
So for Canberra to not have the worst spine in the competition by season’s end we’d have to have a genuine rep player in it (Levi really can’t be counted imo). Or some other club/player would have to **** the bed.

The Dogs, Sharks and Dolphins are the only other teams that don’t have this genuine rep (in position) spine player. But they also will use players there like Nicho, Hammer, Burton, Crichton and co that would be franchise players for the Raiders.

I actually think it’s far from doomsday and I’ll cop being called negative but I’m just a realist. Whatever premiership ‘window’ we slightly jimmied around 2016 is long boarded up. But the move towards working to the future (Stewart, Sanders and Strange) is by far the best move the club can make. Because this is a world where besides Cleary and Brown the best halves are all in the second half or way at the back end of their careers. Hell Easts just extended Keary because they know there’ll be no better option while their roster is red hot.

Going this route means it will be a rough 2+ (very optimistic) seasons until it potentially pans out. The extra team and dearth of halves means it is extremely unlikely there is any other avenue of becoming a threat.
There are some questionable spines out there……..

The Eels have good halves but the 1 and 9 are toilers and nothing more.

There's 5 spines that are ripe to be overtaken by us if we have a good year. Big if, but it's possible.
We’ll have to leave it there because if you think there’s even a slight chance that Canberras spine could usurp one with Moses, Brown and Gutherson then I can’t even enter that discussion. Because that would be quite silly.
OK 👍.

Gutho doesn't do much for me. Works hard and competitive but no X factor.

Moses is a lesser version of Mitchell Pearce. A glorified flat track bully.

Who is there hooker? Hands? Up there with Woolford.

Dylan Brown is an out and out gun.

On balance I don't think they deserve to be in the upper echelon of spines.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 28, 2024, 6:58 pm
julian87 wrote: February 28, 2024, 5:53 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: February 28, 2024, 5:08 pm

We might be starting the year with the "worst spine in the NRL" but that might not be where we finish. If that happens, combined with a strong performance from our pack we are a chance of the 8. I don't think it's likely that we do make the 8 as I think this year is the most competitive the competition has every been in my time. But where we start and where we finish in terms of our player ratings could be very different things.

Your view is just negative so as much as there are others who might have hopeful glasses on when looking at things you don't seem to see anything other than doomsday.
So for Canberra to not have the worst spine in the competition by season’s end we’d have to have a genuine rep player in it (Levi really can’t be counted imo). Or some other club/player would have to **** the bed.

The Dogs, Sharks and Dolphins are the only other teams that don’t have this genuine rep (in position) spine player. But they also will use players there like Nicho, Hammer, Burton, Crichton and co that would be franchise players for the Raiders.

I actually think it’s far from doomsday and I’ll cop being called negative but I’m just a realist. Whatever premiership ‘window’ we slightly jimmied around 2016 is long boarded up. But the move towards working to the future (Stewart, Sanders and Strange) is by far the best move the club can make. Because this is a world where besides Cleary and Brown the best halves are all in the second half or way at the back end of their careers. Hell Easts just extended Keary because they know there’ll be no better option while their roster is red hot.

Going this route means it will be a rough 2+ (very optimistic) seasons until it potentially pans out. The extra team and dearth of halves means it is extremely unlikely there is any other avenue of becoming a threat.

There's 5 spines that are ripe to be overtaken by us if we have a good year. Big if, but it's possible.
We’ll have to leave it there because if you think there’s even a slight chance that Canberras spine could usurp one with Moses, Brown and Gutherson then I can’t even enter that discussion. Because that would be quite silly.
OK 👍.

See above Monty Python gif
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Pack Puru at 9 and be done with this argument.

Could probably be better than all of them. Love this guys style. He could be something special given the chance.
GreenFeva
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by GreenFeva »

julian87 wrote:
Bluesbrother wrote: February 28, 2024, 6:58 pm
julian87 wrote: February 28, 2024, 5:53 pm So for Canberra to not have the worst spine in the competition by season’s end we’d have to have a genuine rep player in it (Levi really can’t be counted imo). Or some other club/player would have to **** the bed.

OK Image.

See above Monty Python gif
Agree with Bluesbrother on Eels spine, especially Moses. Glad they view him highly enough to block Sanders.
Acknowledge the limitations with our spine now, but could be a different discussion come midseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

LOL regarding the Eels spine. Brown was one of the best 5/8 in 2022 and we chased him. Gutho and Moses are on the fringes of the SOO team. Fogarty and Woolford will never ever play SOO. Ours is one of the bottom 4 spines.

I am still hopeful of making the 8 but if we don't it's all on Ricky. He's got full control of the roster and systems. He selects the team. He constantly makes the wrong decisions - look at Semi Valemei, HSS, Hoppa, Levi in recent years. He had since April 2023 to find a replacement for Wighton. He had since November 2021 to recruit a replacement for Hodgson. He chose Starling and Levi. He let CNK go but we have all seen what he can do with good coaching that he couldn't do at the Raiders. Ricky's been here 11 years but the only system that he's built is one of brawlers. Flanagan, Webster, Fitzgibbon and Payten are better coaches than him.

Last year was unacceptable and we fluked our way into the 8. Stuart bragging about the Newcastle performance whilst losing says it all. I started following the Raiders 40 years ago because of the way we played football. I am very disappointed with his coaching methods. The excuses must end sometime.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: February 28, 2024, 5:38 pm
Raoul Duke wrote: February 28, 2024, 5:02 pm
Botman wrote: February 28, 2024, 4:56 pm Penrith are pretty unique in that I don’t think their hooker really directs and drives the forwards like most clubs
That’s Yeo’s job

I think there is also a baseline level of competence you need in a hooker to really allow your forward pack to dominate, I think the panthers hookers are actually decent enough and Walters scraps the very bottom of that baseline and I think our guys are underneath it.
That's really interesting. Makes sense why Mitch Kenny could fill that void left by Api, even Penriff fans were skeptical about that but Kenny is a strong defender so it makes sense.

I think Horse has shown some similar skills, could that be the coach's vision with Levi? Can't recruit a good 9, then get an adequate one who can play 80 and be stout enough defensively?
Yeo’s pretty unique in that regard which in turn is how the panthers get to be unique too

I don’t think Hors has that sort of game speed, possession, position, high level footy IQ to actively manage the middle third the way Yeo does and I’m not sure anyone outside of him does at the lock forward position right now.

I also think it’s part the reason why he’s just not a super great origin player, because he doesn’t play that role for the blues, because they have a hooker who’s job it is
So he doesn’t get to manage the forwards at that level the way he does at the panthers.
Yeo also has the benefit of perceived threats outside him whenever he handles the ball. That's automatically going to create doubt in most defensibe lines, not all as some of the low scoring finals matches the Panthers have shown over the years illustrates.

Yeo engages the defensive line when he has ball in hand. Horsburgh tends to just shovel the ball along. This is where someone like Puru potentiallt offers us something different in making the defensive line make some decisions. The problem is squeezing Puru into the 13 jumper for a decent stint when we have 2 rep middles and Papa.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I'm not too concerned about going into the season with the lowest ranked spine tbh. Broncos round 1 spine in 2022: 1. Isaako, 6. Walters, 7. Albert Kelly, 9. Turpin... even with Reynolds in for Kelly I wouldn't say what we're running is all that much worse keeping in mind Isaako was pretty ordinary that season and Walters wasn't good. They chopped and changed the spine a fair bit but still finished 9th that year, then into the grand final the next year. We're in a similar position in my view, we will start with something like Rapana, Strange/Weekes, Fogarty, Levi but by the end of the year it could include Stewart, next year Sanders, or even an upgrade at hooker... if one or two of these guys turn out to be rep quality then our spine would jump up a few positions in the rankings. I just hope some of these younger guys get a decent run this year, especially Strange who I think has proved he's ready in these trials.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Regs Revolution wrote: February 28, 2024, 8:48 pm Pack Puru at 9 and be done with this argument.

Could probably be better than all of them. Love this guys style. He could be something special given the chance.
X2. We've recruited Smithies over the top of him at lock so let's give him a read hot crack at 9, not just 2 or 3 20 minute stints throughout the season. Might well not be up to it but neither are any of our other options.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

kiwi raider wrote: February 29, 2024, 5:33 am
Regs Revolution wrote: February 28, 2024, 8:48 pm Pack Puru at 9 and be done with this argument.

X2. We've recruited Smithies over the top of him at lock so let's give him a read hot crack at 9, not just 2 or 3 20 minute stints throughout the season. Might well not be up to it but neither are any of our other options.
X3. He is Buckley's of getting a run in our 13 jersey unless injury strikes. I'd love to see him as our long term 9.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 28, 2024, 9:43 pm Yeo also has the benefit of perceived threats outside him whenever he handles the ball. That's automatically going to create doubt in most defensibe lines, not all as some of the low scoring finals matches the Panthers have shown over the years illustrates.

Yeo engages the defensive line when he has ball in hand. Horsburgh tends to just shovel the ball along. This is where someone like Puru potentiallt offers us something different in making the defensive line make some decisions. The problem is squeezing Puru into the 13 jumper for a decent stint when we have 2 rep middles and Papa.
I deliberately kept Puru's name out of that discussion because some people are already upset about how often he's mentioned but since he's already been brought up, the toothpaste is out of the tube now.

But yeah, the one guy in the league who might be able to pull off the Yeo role is probably Puru, and not because he's some super amazing, brilliant talent.. but rather because he was the NSW Cup lock for Penrith and came through their system playing that role, and the way they run their junior systems particularly NSW Cup, is to align it as closely as they can to the way their FG team plays, that way when players come into their FG team through form/injury/natural turn over they are more able to easily transition within the team. So he has actually played that sort of role before.

FWIW I don't think he'd be able to do it to the level Yeo does, I don't think anyone can. And I agree with the above posters, that if we're locked into Smithies at #13, given the woes we have at hooker, I'd hand Puru the #9 in NSW cup, give him a solid 6-8 weeks in that spot and see if he can prove he's capable enough in that position to get us out of the **** show we have now. I think he'd be a good NRL hooker. Not elite, not a rep player but close enough to a Brailey/Egan level good player, and man we could use good right now
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I still think the answer at dummy-half is Woolford starting and Puru spelling him for 20 min or so in the middle from 14, but that plan also involves Puru getting some serious Number 9 development under his belt in NSW Cup.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: February 29, 2024, 9:49 am I still think the answer at dummy-half is Woolford starting and Puru spelling him for 20 min or so in the middle from 14, but that plan also involves Puru getting some serious Number 9 development under his belt in NSW Cup.
That's the team i'd run out next week but i have more confidence and faith in Puru playing 9 than most. I think Puru is our best utility and i think he can give us minutes at hooker and offer middle forward and edge flexibility, in that i think if we had an injury on the edges Puru could play there and at least defend well enough that it's not an immediate target for the opposition. Smithies is another option and then Puru slides into lock. It just gives us more flexibility than a rigid hooker at #14.

But as you said I think its probably reasonable that if we're going down that path, he might need some NSW Cup at #9 to prove he can play that role.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: February 29, 2024, 9:57 am
The Nickman wrote: February 29, 2024, 9:49 am I still think the answer at dummy-half is Woolford starting and Puru spelling him for 20 min or so in the middle from 14, but that plan also involves Puru getting some serious Number 9 development under his belt in NSW Cup.
That's the team i'd run out next week but i have more confidence and faith in Puru playing 9 than most. I think Puru is our best utility and i think he can give us minutes at hooker and offer middle forward and edge flexibility, in that i think if we had an injury on the edges Puru could play there and at least defend well enough that it's not an immediate target for the opposition. Smithies is another option and then Puru slides into lock. It just gives us more flexibility than a rigid hooker at #14.

But as you said I think its probably reasonable that if we're going down that path, he might need some NSW Cup at #9 to prove he can play that role.
He's not going to be worse in that reserve dummy half role than Starling has evolved into now, who essentially doesn't really offer anything anymore. He used to be a damaging ball runner, but he doesn't do that anymore, he just comes on and provides poor service for the final 59 minutes of the game. And everyone knows my thoughts on the Woolford vs Levi debate.

So having said all that, bring on the Levi/Starling combination to start the season!
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Good shout. Keen to see how our NSW cup coach goes in that development role. Seems like a good addition to the ranks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 29, 2024, 10:22 am
Good shout. Keen to see how our NSW cup coach goes in that development role. Seems like a good addition to the ranks.
I'm also keen to see how Giteau will add to and hopefully improve our A-Grade coaching ranks, particularly around attack. Do you have any thoughts on what his impact could be?

His NSW Cup team looked very polished last season.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: February 29, 2024, 10:42 am
I'm also keen to see how Giteau will add to and hopefully improve our A-Grade coaching ranks, particularly around attack. Do you have any thoughts on what his impact could be?

Giteau is looking after the defence, Crawley is still looking after attack,
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: February 29, 2024, 11:50 am

Sure, in name that might be the case, but surely they help each other out where necessary?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Puru would make a perfect 14, ala Brandon Smith.

I'm fairly sure the coaching staff would be looking at it, but would also be extremely concerned that he has been seriously knocked out in limited minutes in his last two appearances.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: February 29, 2024, 11:59 am

Sure, in name that might be the case, but surely they help each other out where necessary?
Nah, pretty sure they're kept at opposite ends of the building and not allowed to attend training sessions at the same time.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 29, 2024, 12:07 pm

Nah, pretty sure they're kept at opposite ends of the building and not allowed to attend training sessions at the same time.
"Maybe we should try something other than crash..."
"You go back over there and keep working with the tackling bags, Justin!"
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

If Giteau looks after defence and Crawley looks after attack, where does that leave Bob Turnington?! And Kenny Rogers?!

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Coastalraider wrote:

You know it

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: February 29, 2024, 12:19 pm

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: February 29, 2024, 1:20 pm
The Nickman wrote: February 29, 2024, 12:19 pm
:lol:
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: February 29, 2024, 12:56 pm If Giteau looks after defence and Crawley looks after attack, where does that leave Bob Turnington?! And Kenny Rogers?!

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Turno has always got his fingers on everything, trust me. You can't keep the big guy down.

And as for Kenny, he's just there to help advise the coach on when it's best to hold em and a whole bunch of other like items.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Tbh I haven't seen him coach or have I been coached by him but I know a lot of people who have. I've also spoken to some current staff and players in the NRL who speak very highly of him.

I've worked with him in another setting and he is always well liked and respected. It bodes well for coaching and he also has a good relationship with his brother, Matt who has lots of experience and ideas from his time in professional rugby around the world.

All in all, I think he will be outstanding whatever he is doing but I dont 100% know that without experiencing it myself.

As for looking after attack and defence I think he will add to both. After all, it's easier to defend when you have the ball.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 29, 2024, 2:50 pm

Tbh I haven't seen him coach or have I been coached by him but I know a lot of people who have. I've also spoken to some current staff and players in the NRL who speak very highly of him.

I've worked with him in another setting and he is always well liked and respected. It bodes well for coaching and he also has a good relationship with his brother, Matt who has lots of experience and ideas from his time in professional rugby around the world.

All in all, I think he will be outstanding whatever he is doing but I dont 100% know that without experiencing it myself.

As for looking after attack and defence I think he will add to both. After all, it's easier to defend when you have the ball.
That is true, and some very wise words. And as another wise man once said to me, it's easier to attack when you have a weapon in your hand.

Wait... what?
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Puru has played 9 at NSW cup level. Not a whole lot, but it’s been tried.

I just have a feeling that he can be a great solution to undoubtedly the biggest problem in our team. He has the motor and the skills.

And for what it’s worth, I think starling is a perfect 14. Not so much as hooker cover, but a roaming middle player.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

8 Horse
9 Puru
10 Tapine

Sign me up!!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why a Raiders rookie's heart was in his mouth while chasing the No.6 jersey

Ethan Strange admits he had his heart in his mouth when he was placed on report on the eve of round one - now the rising star is desperate to make the Canberra Raiders' No.6 jersey his own.

"I'd prefer to be at six but I'll just do whatever for the team to be honest, I just love playing footy really," Strange said. "Obviously I'm a young player so I'll keep trying to mature and being a sponge with all the older boys with my talk. That's something I definitely can work on, but everyone has got stuff to work on, you can work on everything."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I'd prefer him to be at the six too
Six and right half please and thank you.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Regs Revolution wrote: February 29, 2024, 4:38 pm Puru has played 9 at NSW cup level. Not a whole lot, but it’s been tried.

I just have a feeling that he can be a great solution to undoubtedly the biggest problem in our team. He has the motor and the skills.

And for what it’s worth, I think starling is a perfect 14. Not so much as hooker cover, but a roaming middle player.
Puru probably should have been playing 9 in reserves if he was good enough. He played maybe 3 games with 1 great and 2 pretty average. He has played 3 NRL Calibre games and knocked out twice.
I honestly don't know what to make of him. He looked really sharp and quick in the trial with a couple of runs and than nothing really and goes off.
I think at best he is a 14 but only if Levi can play 80 consistently well this year or a few injuries happen.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Strange feeling: Raiders rookie ready after sin bin scare

Ethan Strange hopes he’s done enough to earn the Raiders vacant No. 6 jersey but admitted he lost sleep on Sunday night waiting to hear his fate from the NRL Judiciary.

“It was all going good at the start until obviously that tackle, I know it happens and it was an accident but I haven’t really done anything like that up until then," Strange told NRL.com. “That's the first time anything like that's ever happened to me, I've had a pretty clean record up until now. I was definitely nervous, I didn't get much sleep the night before.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/01/str ... bin-scare/