Knights 13+
25%

Total votes: 28

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2024 Rd 1 v Knights: Teams and Previews

Post by BadnMean »

Andymachine wrote: February 16, 2024, 12:28 pm The thing is, I don't think that Guler and Saulo are actually workers either. They're called workers because they aren't dynamic, but they also don't really get through all that much work...

I think that if these four guys are given equal time out on the field, Ata and Trey are going to be putting their hands up for a lot more work than Emre and Pasami. Certainly in offense. Defence is a tricky one and I'm sure some will debate that Emre and Pasami are better defenders. That could be the case but they're hardly defensive gods anyway so I don't think that should get them into the team.

If Smithies is the defensive stud that he's made out to be then with him as our starting 13 maybe we can prioritise the ball in hand ability of our other middles.
There's also aspects/stats such as running in support and decoy runs that add into being a "worker". Guler and Saulo rate well among Raiders for those.

8 Tapine 9 Woolford 10 Ata 13 Smithies
15 Hors 16 Papa 17 Hosking

would be my preferred pack. Still not sure if I'd go #14 Puru or Mooney
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

BadnMean wrote: February 12, 2024, 5:27 pm
Finchy wrote: February 12, 2024, 5:00 pm
BJ wrote: February 11, 2024, 8:31 pm
Botman wrote:
Fox Sports wrote: February 11, 2024, 5:40 pm The versatile Seb Kris will also miss a month through suspension.
Really good example of what i always bang on about with people who cover our game. Not knowlegable enough to get the basics right and so far up their own **** that they dont do the research to make sure they dont make **** idiots of themselves

2 jokers on this by line and presumably an editor too. Embarrassing.
Yep it’s unbelievable how disconnected the rugby league media is from reality. Some ridiculous insights way too often.

My favourite was talk in the paper and on channel 9 about the key role Josh McCrone would play off the bench for the Raiders. Despite him going to the Dragons.
Forget about the Dragons, I enjoyed talk of him playing Origin even more!
To be fair on the rest of them, I only remember Joey being on that train. He probably watched Mullen, one game of McCrone and whoever played for Broncos every Friday.
Nah sterlo was also big on mcrone for a long time for some reason.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There was a couple of seasons he had Papalii running off his shoulder where he looked a world beater
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

-TW- wrote: February 18, 2024, 1:50 pm There was a couple of seasons he had Papalii running off his shoulder where he looked a world beater
If Papalii gets CTE it will be because the NRL failed to protect him from being pinged in the head every week by a McCrone rocket pass to the skull from 2m away.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

BadnMean wrote:
-TW- wrote: February 18, 2024, 1:50 pm There was a couple of seasons he had Papalii running off his shoulder where he looked a world beater
If Papalii gets CTE it will be because the NRL failed to protect him from being pinged in the head every week by a McCrone rocket pass to the skull from 2m away.
Ha ha.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BadnMean wrote: There's also aspects/stats such as running in support and decoy runs that add into being a "worker". Guler and Saulo rate well among Raiders for those.
Rating well among Raiders for those feels like… not the highest bar.

Certainly not in terms of anything regularly effective leading to breaks or poor defensive decisions in 2023.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

EARLY MAIL: Predicted teams for opening round

Raiders: Canberra’s backline remains uncertain, with several key spots up for grabs. Chevy Stewart is the frontrunner to play fullback, but he’s far from locked in. Seb Kris will miss round one due to suspension, which is likely to see Ethan Strange start at centre. However, Strange started in the halves in the trial win over the Eels, suggesting he’s in contention for Jack Wighton’s vacant five-eighth spot alongside recruit Kaeo Weekes. Xavier Savage is firming to return to the team on the wing. Corey Horsburgh is suspended to start the season, with English recruit Morgan Smithies tipped to start at lock.

Raiders’ predicted team

1. Chevy Stewart
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Ethan Strange
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Albert Hopoate
6. Kaeo Weekes
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Danny Levi
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Tom Starling
15. Zac Hosking
16. Ata Mariota
17. Emre Guler

The Daily Telegraph
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

We have a faster and better middle who is more suited to playing 2024 style footy in Mooney and we are leaning towards the sluggish Guler? The days of a 'Herman' Hamilton style of player are long gone.

I would still favor Strange at 5/8 and bring Schiller into the left center spot. I hope Woolf recovers from his HIA in time to take his rightful place in front of Levy at 9. I hope Xav gets some time at FB in the next trial match.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

I would preferably have Chevy do another year in NSW cup particularly from a physical perspective and I wouldn’t be against starting Rapana at fullback and having Cotric and Savage on the wings for that reason.

I think Chevy has enough game awareness for first grade but week in week out NRL will be tough on his body. But in saying that, we are in a position where he should be getting lots of first grade time this year whether it’s round 1 or later in the year.

Tomorrow’s team will be interesting, I expect the starting 13 to be close to the round 1 team named pending injuries and performance.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I would've liked to see Weekes get some time at fullback on the weekend. If he isn't the permanent six then he really should be the backup or even first choice number 1. It's a bit of a worry seeing Hoppa get time there.

Rapana might get through a few rounds there but I don't think he has a season in him playing fullback. Plus he will no doubt miss a few rounds when he gets himself suspended.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think Hoppa was only backup in the trial. Just a consequence of trial minutes and lineup.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

We really only have Strange and Weekes in the top 30 for halves back up so I think they have to play there all year. They would both get called in over Cook or Henderson (don’t even think either are eligible right now anyway).

We have plenty of options for fullback and I think it in terms of choice to may go something like Stewart/Rapana, Kris, Hopa/Savage. I don’t think Sticky wants Kris at fullback but he would be consider “safer” compared to Hopa or Savage which seems to be important in his decision making.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think a lot hinges on Sanders
If they cant get him early, i expect the club will at some point during the season get another half in here from somewhere, but i really get the feeling they're keeping the door firmly open for Sanders to be in the top 30 and playing NSW cup from round 7-8 onwards
RaiderSpark
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

DT reporting Rapana has won the FB role

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

EARLY MAIL: Predicted teams for Round 1 2024

RAIDERS

Jordan Rapana has won the battle for the fullback spot ahead of Chevy Stewart. Seb Kris will miss round one due to suspension and play centre when he returns. Xavier Savage is firming to return to the team on the wing. Corey Horsburgh is suspended to start the season, with English recruit Morgan Smithies tipped to start at lock.

Raiders’ predicted team

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Xavier Savage
3. Ethan Strange
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Albert Hopoate
6. Kaeo Weekes
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Danny Levi
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Tom Starling
15. Zac Hosking
16. Ata Mariota
17. Emre Guler

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7518ba2ffe

The authors are credited as: Tim Williams, Phil Rothfield, David Riccio and Pamela Whaley.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hopoate over Cotric? Come on, now.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Glad it took 4 of them to get it completely wrong
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I know one thing for certain, the Round 1 team will be different to that.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Schiller and Cotric in for Strange and Bert

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: February 22, 2024, 12:20 pm Schiller and Cotric in for Strange and Bert

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Yep, wouldnt surprise me if the Cotric in for Savage... but yeah for the most part i think that team is going to be pretty spot on
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: February 22, 2024, 10:54 am EARLY MAIL: Predicted teams for Round 1 2024

RAIDERS

Jordan Rapana has won the battle for the fullback spot ahead of Chevy Stewart. Seb Kris will miss round one due to suspension and play centre when he returns. Xavier Savage is firming to return to the team on the wing. Corey Horsburgh is suspended to start the season, with English recruit Morgan Smithies tipped to start at lock.

Raiders’ predicted team

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Xavier Savage
3. Ethan Strange
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Albert Hopoate
6. Kaeo Weekes
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Danny Levi
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Tom Starling
15. Zac Hosking
16. Ata Mariota
17. Emre Guler

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7518ba2ffe

The authors are credited as: Tim Williams, Phil Rothfield, David Riccio and Pamela Whaley.
Considering this is the exact same predicted team the daily telegraph named three days earlier but with Rapana at FB instead of Stewart and Savage at wing instead of Rapana I'm doubting they have the "early mail" on this one. However, I'm concerned that this will actually be the team Stuart names for round 1, with maybe with Cotric or Schiller on the wing instead of Savage.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I can’t see Stick giving Savage the opportunity unfortunately.

We will have the slowest back 5 in the comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

RaiderSpark wrote: February 22, 2024, 10:50 am DT reporting Rapana has won the FB role Image

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
If Rapa has had all off season to trim a little bit then I don't hate the idea. (wingers are often bulky these days due to rucking out requirements)

Chevy might need a few months to add size and experience. Rapa is 34 and is likely to get a) soft tissue injury somewhere along the line and b) suspended somewhere along the line. Chevy will get his chance.

Lol at Hoppa over Cotric after that trial though.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ricky drops selection curveball

RAIDERS

Predicted Round 1 team:

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Nick Cotric
3. James Schiller
4. Matt Timoko
5. Xavier Savage
6. Kaeo Weekes
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Emre Guler
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Tom Starling 15. Morgan Smithies 16. Pasami Saulo 17. Zac Hosking

Team tips: The uncapped Chevy Stewart has reportedly been overlooked for Round 1 for veteran Jordan Rapana. Stewart a little quiet against the Eels in the first trial and Xavier Savage is another contender for the fullback role, but it appears he’s more likely to be named on the wing in Round 1. Kaeo Weekes is the favourite to be given first crack in the five-eighth spot alongside halfback Jamal Fogarty with Jack Wighton leaving for Souths. Weekes and young gun Ethan Strange were the halves pairing against Parra in the 38-16 win, with both playing solid footy.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... VCepPXmWSo
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

-TW- wrote: February 22, 2024, 4:57 pm Ricky drops selection curveball

RAIDERS

Predicted Round 1 team:

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Nick Cotric
3. James Schiller
4. Matt Timoko
5. Xavier Savage
6. Kaeo Weekes
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Emre Guler
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

Team tips: The uncapped Chevy Stewart has reportedly been overlooked for Round 1 for veteran Jordan Rapana. Stewart a little quiet against the Eels in the first trial and Xavier Savage is another contender for the fullback role, but it appears he’s more likely to be named on the wing in Round 1. Kaeo Weekes is the favourite to be given first crack in the five-eighth spot alongside halfback Jamal Fogarty with Jack Wighton leaving for Souths. Weekes and young gun Ethan Strange were the halves pairing against Parra in the 38-16 win, with both playing solid footy.

Mightn't be that far off.

Smithies might start for Guler/Tapine.

Although the way he has it allows Tapine to play long stints with Smithies coming on after 20 and Taps going to prop. He may be eager to play long stints at this stage of his career (peak).
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’m a huge fan of JordyRaps.

He’ll give is all.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote:Ricky drops selection curveball

RAIDERS

Predicted Round 1 team:

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Nick Cotric
3. James Schiller
4. Matt Timoko
5. Xavier Savage
6. Kaeo Weekes
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Emre Guler
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

That’s more like the team I expect and hope to see.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Although I still don’t think they’ve got the forward pack quite right, I reckon they’ve nailed the back line.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Nickman wrote: February 22, 2024, 8:56 pm Although I still don’t think they’ve got the forward pack quite right, I reckon they’ve nailed the back line.
If that team is the inside word I suppose the plan is to revert back to CHors at lock and Taps at prop post-suspension. Other than locked in Edub that is probably our best collection of players. I also don't like the balance of it though. It's a lot of the same type of player, and without a creative hooker we still look like a team that is planning to bulldoze rather than strategise. We've had 3 years of that plan delivering very mediocre results.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Whoever we name.. knights by 30+
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yawn.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I thought rs was banking on youth. Rapana is a great player and he'll do well at fullback, but his time is coming to an end. I would rather he give X a shot just to see if he's up to it. Looks like Ricky has stamped his card as a winger.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Going to be funny when the new era of raiders football opens with the most conservative round 1 team that we could possibly name :lol:
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

This is what a Ricky Stuart rebuild looks like. A mix of youth that is either too raw (Chevy/Strange/Sanders) or sub-par(Hoppa/Saulo), mixed in with a few very well paid forwards long past their best and declining.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Mr Squiggle wrote:This is what a Ricky Stuart rebuild looks like. A mix of youth that is either too raw (Chevy/Strange/Sanders) or sub-par(Hoppa/Saulo), mixed in with a few very well paid forwards long past their best and declining.
Don’t forget selecting the 3rd choice journeyman hooker.

Can’t wait….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk