Total votes: 19

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2024 Trial 1 v Eels: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: February 19, 2024, 8:47 am
Botman wrote:I really want to understand Stuart’s intentions in that trial

Weekes is a better left half, Strange is a better right half. They played opposite sides, which suggests to me Stuart might be leaning Strange to partner Fog.

But playing him at left half to accommodate Fogs on the right, seems incredibly short sighted to me when the long term vision is Sanders LH, Strange RH.
This is going to be something firmly on my radar this year. If Weekes is the favourite to start week 1, where he and Strange played in ghat trial is hard to make sense of.

Who Stuart goes with between Savage or Cotric will be a good early sign of just how serious all this off season chatter about turning the page and embracing a new era really is
Cotric played well enough in the trial and to end last year to justify that selection. Savage played well enough and has played well enough in FG to justify that selection.
For me that selection will be the best early indication of Stuart’s philosophy and expectations this year.
I’ve been thinking about this myself. What if Stuart’s planning on switching Fog this year to the left, but is keen on starting Weekes in Round 1 so has played him on the right?

Strange he to play on the left to accommodate Weekes getting used to the right, but long term goal is Strange right and Sanders left?

I know, I know, it’s way too much forward planning for our super coach, but a guy can dream, right?
Yeah that's the other way it might make some sense... if that's the plan, and what is going on then im on board...
Might be that Strange will be right half this next trial and Weekes is left and it's just a straight up battle for the spot in round 1 and there is no much more to it than that.

IDK, but im very curious about it and i just cant help but think we're going to see Fog on the right and Weekes on the left in round 1 and ill be sitting here scratching my head trying to figure what the **** they were doing play opposite sides in this trial
Last edited by Botman on February 19, 2024, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

zim wrote: February 18, 2024, 7:10 pm
bonehead wrote: February 18, 2024, 7:00 pm
zim wrote:I thought Rapa might be coming in at 1 too. With Cotric and Savage on the wings.
did cotric look a bit lighter?
Yeah he's trimmed a bit.
I think he just looked quicker and more agile, which gave the impression he was trimmer. I walked past him at the Multicultural Festival (he was wearing an NBA singlet) the next day and he is LARGE. I actually thought he looked bigger than last time I saw him in person. It took all my restraint not to feel his arms.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Botman wrote: February 18, 2024, 8:06 am
Beejay wrote: February 17, 2024, 9:57 pm
Botman wrote: February 17, 2024, 8:50 pm Oh but i also want to say, i think Sanders didnt have his best game over all but his kicking game was really impressive. I didnt watch that game and think or feel any less excited for Sanders coming here.
He was poor. So many errors.
Kicked it out on full once. Within a whisker another time. Too long on a high kick for uncontested restart that Schiller scored off.
And also didn’t find touch.

I’m not going to hold it against him forever, but that was an absolute stinker. Let’s not pretend it wasn’t.
He looked out of sorts all game. Fell off a few tackles as well.

He needs to play some NSW Cup.
Yeah I just didn’t see his game that way

Few errors for sure and things to work on. I actually laughed out loud and thought “yep, you’re a raider alright!” When he failed to find touch :lol:

Certainly not an A+ game but I didn’t see an “absolute stinker” either
There were plenty of good touches to go with errors. He’s far from a finished product but I’m happy enough with what I saw last night
No doubt he needs a bit of time in nsw cup and he’ll get that this year.
Yeah I thought we were looking for an improvement on Wighton's kicking game :lol:

Absolute stinker might be a bit harsh, but he also made more errors than you would like for a controlling half who is meant to get those things right.
Not finding touch might be a window into how over-awed he was in the game. As well as struggling defensively.

I got the impression he needs a bit of time in Cup to mature. If I compare him to Strange and Stewart, who are both YOUNGER than Sanders, they clearly have benefitted from their time in Cup in 2023.

He's still yet to be proven playing against men, so I'll just temper my expectations a litttle.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cotric no certainty

Raiders outside back Nick Cotric will struggle to force his way into Ricky Stuart’s Round 1 side after a lacklustre performance in his side’s thumping 38-16 win over the Eels.

Cotric bombed a certain try in the second half and finished with just 71 metres from eight carries and an error, but did have a try assist to his name. He’ll need a big performance against the Cowboys this week to cement his spot because there’s plenty of talent around him.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 89a5de81eb
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

On last years form he should be the one fighting for a spot . On the weekend I didn't think he was that bad. The no try is unlucky not much more he could do.
He ran hard, tried making metres when he was bringing it back from our end. I'd still go with Raps and Savage for my round 1 wingers though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Noah’s great!
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Mitch Henderson looked an interesting prospect on his effort late in the game. I will be watching with interest.
I'm a bit bemused by a blogger questioning the athleticism of Jed Stuarrt considering he was a Rugby Sevens international. That game is like rowing, all aerobic capacity and speed.