11%
Eels 13+
21%

Total votes: 19

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Re: 2024 Trial 1 v Eels: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by Raider Azz »

It's so **** funny to read posts like cotric had a great game and has cemented a spot on the wing for round 1 (i agree btw) and then 3 or 4 posts later see someone else say Cotric played like a spud and deserves to be in reserve grade all year. It's like people are watching two different games.
Green Machine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Green Machine »

I thought Taateo was impressive.
2011 Bronze Member - #8066
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Mariota was great. Has to be in the 17. Footwork is brilliant.

Saulo and Guler both good and strong.
With Mooney, there a few decent players fighting it out for 18th man at our strongest. Good position to be in.

Chevy was busy, was there for chances a few times but ball didn’t find him.
Defensively sound and covering kicks was great, showed great pace and urgency chasing long kicks.
Contested high ball not so much. Will be keeping an eye on that next trial.

Strange class.
Good step and acceleration.
Kicking game a surprise. Quality long kick. Nice grubber for restart. Bombs landing well.
Defensively great!

Weekes a bit ordinary defensively. Not a fan of him in the front line, should be playing fullback.
Got Strange well ahead personally.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I'll read this karp tomorrow. After that you can ignore my words of wisdom. I did however glance at the last two pages and Botman is right, Strange will be our starting 6 in Rd 1 because he played on the left tonight. It's really quite simple.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Botman wrote: February 17, 2024, 8:50 pm Oh but i also want to say, i think Sanders didnt have his best game over all but his kicking game was really impressive. I didnt watch that game and think or feel any less excited for Sanders coming here.
He was poor. So many errors.
Kicked it out on full once. Within a whisker another time. Too long on a high kick for uncontested restart that Schiller scored off.
And also didn’t find touch.

I’m not going to hold it against him forever, but that was an absolute stinker. Let’s not pretend it wasn’t.
He looked out of sorts all game. Fell off a few tackles as well.

He needs to play some NSW Cup.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Nickman wrote: February 17, 2024, 6:46 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
The Nickman wrote: February 17, 2024, 7:26 am I really hope Schiller puts his hand up and gets that centre spot over Hopoate, and Strange does the same over Weekes.

Be interesting to see how Strange, Stewart, Weekes and Savage eventually go into two spots (assuming Cotric and Rapana are the wingers).
I just hope the best performed get the spots for round 1.

Schiller looked like he was running in sand at times during our finals game last year. Hard to carry someone that slow unless they have imense skill to make up for it. Good luck to him.
Hahaha I just logged in for the first time today and hasn’t this post aged well!
Schiller had by far the better match at centre - well done to him. Strange and Weakes all to play for next weekend, neither of them made the role their own.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

2024 Premiership here we come baby wooo!!
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Beejay wrote: February 17, 2024, 9:57 pm
Botman wrote: February 17, 2024, 8:50 pm Oh but i also want to say, i think Sanders didnt have his best game over all but his kicking game was really impressive. I didnt watch that game and think or feel any less excited for Sanders coming here.
Kicked it out on full once. Within a whisker another time. Too long on a high kick for uncontested restart that Schiller scored off.

I’m not going to hold it against him forever, but that was an absolute stinker. Let’s not pretend it wasn’t.

Agreed. He was very very poor in all facets of the game. He kicked it out on the full, then Eels got the penalty, and he doubled down by failing to find touch. That’s the first time that I’ve seen him play though, having not watched the U19 origin or lower grade football.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Can't believe Noah Martin is only 18. Could be quite a weapon if he stays fit and doesn't bulk up so much he has to shift exclusively to the middle.
Lock in Schiller for round 1.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

That was fun. Plenty to enjoy.

Saulo and Mariota had big games, good to see.
Levi looked good in defence at least.

Most of the outside backs hard nice moments, Savage and Cotric early but Schiller and Asomua perhaps even more so. First real look I've had of Strange- can step and bounce out of a tackle. Handled defence well.

A lot to like about Kaeyo's kicking game.

Sanders had a bit of a stinker agreed. Big step up.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

nachopants wrote: February 17, 2024, 8:36 pm Guler has never done it for me tbh. Today he was again ... at-best ... loafing with no leg speed.

I thought Cotric played himself back into a spot.

The most complicated one of all for me was holy moly Ethan looked so small, he looked like the perfect halfback bodyshape

I dunno what we do there.
Ethan Strange is 190cms and 99kgs. He will probably build more muscle, but is already Wighton like.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Find it very difficult to believe he is 190cm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Premiership here we come!!!

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Agree. I'm very surprised about some of the negative comments in the thread about Sanders. He had some errors, but he did some very good things too. Certainly did not have a "shocker" etc.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I was impressed with the first 15 minutes of the Raiders defence when the eels had all the ball. Given we have a young side we could have been blown off the park but they stuck at it well. The enthusiasm shown by the Raiders was impressive and with so many players going for positions in the FG side they were trying to make their minutes count.

First point noted was Strange starting on the left. If Fog is not to be moved from the right then this could indicate Strange has an inside run at Round 1 at 5/8 on the left. The next side named for trial 2 will give more focus on who the Rd 1 5/8 is likely to be.

Had to feel for Woolf, being named as Captain and then going off HIA and not returning. Most of the players did something to contribute to the highlights reel. I'd have to leave Hoppa out of that. He is no center. Saulo was very strong defensively. Schiller made the most of his opportunity and will likely take the left center spot for Rd 1.

I can't wait to see Smithies in the next game against the Cowboys.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's an awful comment, but it looked like Sanders was trying too hard... but he kept at it without dropping his head, and playing most of the game behind a beaten pack doesn't help - aside from the first ten minutes and also the ten when Martin was binned where they got a bit of a roll on.

One concerning thing for me was our attack in the red zone. Still too many crash balls and we look awful when we are attacking right on the tryline. We're better off getting super deep and having a crack - even if we lose ten or twenty metres and reposition ourselves. Teams look like they are happy to tackle us a metre out and then just prepare for the 3 crashballs.

A lot of long range tries tonight which will dry up in the regular season.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Botman wrote: - I continue to quite like Jed Stuart... he's not very talented and he's not particularly athletic... he's not got a FG future in him if im honest. But...
This made me spit out my late night water. I thought you were going to be very flattering on him. But no, an opportunity to spade him 3 ways haha

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Great to have footy back! Pleased that we've got through the weekend with no significant injuries (unless I missed something?)

Stewart looks to have done enough. That we didn't see any of Weekes at fullback itself is telling, and the kid handled what was thrown at him. Loved seeing him constantly pushing up around the ball, even if it came to little in this particular match.

Agreed that Strange starting on the left is significant, though I couldn't say there was much to split him and Kaeo in performance terms. Both did some OK things but neither really took the game on in a meaningful sense, IMO. The hooker situation also remains a mystery, next trial will likely reveal more in that regard. 14. Starling feels the surest bet of them all right now.

Cotric and Savage are exactly who we know they are. That wing spot comes down to a decision of a solid defender and strong carry vs game-breaking speed with risk, and Stuart has always preferred the former. I expect that holds when the round 1 team is announced. Schiller appears at short odds to get first crack at a spot in the backline as well.

Mariota looked very sharp and will be picked vs the Knights barring injury. I thought both Guler and Saulo played like guys who know they aren't guaranteed a spot in FG and put in solid stints. A bit to like about some of the young forwards too, but nothing that will impact first grade selection in the initial part of the season.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Very impressed with the 18-year old back rower, Noah Martin, and Schiller in the centres. Plenty of young talent out there with Strange, Stewart and Sanders.

We're going to need to be patient with them if Ricky picks them all in FG. Not necessarily the forum's strong suit.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m with Botman.

That was Ethan Sanders’ first game of open rugby league. And he played it against an almost NRL side. This time last year he wasn’t even playing Jersey Flegg.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: February 17, 2024, 10:42 pm
nachopants wrote: February 17, 2024, 8:36 pm Guler has never done it for me tbh. Today he was again ... at-best ... loafing with no leg speed.

I thought Cotric played himself back into a spot.

The most complicated one of all for me was holy moly Ethan looked so small, he looked like the perfect halfback bodyshape

I dunno what we do there.
Ethan Strange is 190cms and 99kgs. He will probably build more muscle, but is already Wighton like.
Hahahahahaha

Are these from the same stats guys that had Hopoate at 6’1
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Rick wrote: February 17, 2024, 10:51 pm Find it very difficult to believe he is 190cm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tend to agree. That's about Joey Manu size. I could believe 180cm.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

twistedbydesign wrote: February 18, 2024, 4:15 am
Cotric and Savage are exactly who we know they are. That wing spot comes down to a decision of a solid defender and strong carry vs game-breaking speed with risk, and Stuart has always preferred the former. I expect that holds when the round 1 team is announced. Schiller appears at short odds to get first crack at a spot in the backline as well.

Mariota looked very sharp and will be picked vs the Knights barring injury. I thought both Guler and Saulo played like guys who know they aren't guaranteed a spot in FG and put in solid stints. A bit to like about some of the young forwards too, but nothing that will impact first grade selection in the initial part of the season.
One thought buzzing away in the back of my mind is that he had a look at Savage on the left, where he began forming a really nice combo with Chevy when he sweeps over and runs the sweep and has the option to hit a flying winger and put him away.

And we saw Cotric on the right, where Rapa usually goes. Barring occasional short swaps it's usually been Rapa right and Cotric left for most of their careers. Maybe Rapa has the gig but down the line Cotric would take over the power winger role on the right and Savage may fill left for that combo.

Probably over-reading things though.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Noah Martin has a bit of Reuben Cotter about him
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah I just didn’t see his game that way

Few errors for sure and things to work on. I actually laughed out loud and thought “yep, you’re a raider alright!” When he failed to find touch :lol:

Certainly not an A+ game but I didn’t see an “absolute stinker” either
There were plenty of good touches to go with errors. He’s far from a finished product but I’m happy enough with what I saw last night
No doubt he needs a bit of time in nsw cup and he’ll get that this year.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Very pleasantly surprised at the amount of talent we had on show yesterday, across a number of positions. A few we know like Mariota, Asamoua, Stewart and Savage as well as some pleasant surprise packets like Martin and Taateo.

I know Rick will only be throwing these guys into first grade out of absolute necessity. It’s just not in his go to trust young up and comers. But I can’t wait to see some new names running around in the lime green at some point this season. I’ve said this a number of times but the irony is Rick has the league’s highest job security - if anyone can afford to take a full developmental approach to decisions in 2024 that set us up for half a decade of success, it’s him.

We are overdue some roster turnover - the veteran group for mine are a bit stagnant. I’m hoping they were watching yesterday and maybe have seen a pressure on their own places that hasn’t been there for a few years. Its healthy, and can only result in better outcomes.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Pretty happy with the overall performance.

Solid hit out and working on combinations.

Love the boys.

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Raider Azz wrote: February 17, 2024, 9:07 pm It's so **** funny to read posts like cotric had a great game and has cemented a spot on the wing for round 1 (i agree btw) and then 3 or 4 posts later see someone else say Cotric played like a spud and deserves to be in reserve grade all year. It's like people are watching two different games.
Somewhere in the middle for me. Great heads up and opportunist play to set up Kaeo with the 2nd kick, that's the Cotric of old. Then he couldn't finish a golden opportunity later on with the defence at 6s and 7s. That was bread and butter stuff for an NRL winger, he didn't necessarily have to score it either as he had support.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Taateo looks a handy prospect

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

An enjoyable watch. A few points:

* I don’t think there is a clear winner between Strange and Weekes, though I would keep in mind the reason Manly didn’t give Weekes opportunities in the front line was his defence, and he missed a pretty basic tackle leading to a line break in this game. I would put Strange in front based on that alone.
* I genuinely think Stuart has boxed himself into a corner with Hoppa. He made a big deal of trying to give the kid confidence, and now feels like he can’t go back on his word. The fact is, his performances are extremely subpar. He doesn’t have the pace or agility to play anywhere in the backline. He is a depth Winger if 2 of Rapana, Cotric, or Savage go down. That is his ceiling. It's a shame, but the guy had multiple ACL injuries which cruelled his career, and he has done very well to get as much out of his body as he has.
* I think Stewart has “it”. I like how he sniffs around the ball looking for an offload, he needs plenty of NRL time this year. I have always been a fan of Schiller. His issue, according to people around the club, is his application off the field, particularly with rehab and injuries. He has also had some bad luck.
* Credit where it’s due, Saulo and Levi were good, but Levi’s problem has always been NRL level where he takes wrong options (particularly after a long line break or in the opposition 10, where he goes for those infuriating “dive over” tries, which work at Cup level).
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I really loved seeing Mariota play so well. He is clearly in our best 17 every week and to be fair he probably cemented that last year.

Might be an unpopular opinion but while Stewart, Strange and Sanders all had moments I honestly feel each one still needs half to a full season of NSW Cup to really be ready for First Grade. I wouldn't rush any of them along and if Sanders comes this year at any time them building combinations in lower grades will benefit us more going forward.
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Logan Lewis has a bit of the Brandon Smith storm version about him , small , tough, hard to put down and was cutting the eels forwards in half every time
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

I can agree with Wiki. I won't be surprised if we see Rapana at fullback and both Cotric and Savage on the wings.
I think Stewart is ready to go though, he didn't get many opportunities in attack last night. I like that he doesn't come in and try hero plays, just plays his role. The 40/20 save and his 1 on 1 tackle of Tualagi were his best moments. For an 18 year old they were very impressive.
WobblyWaider
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by WobblyWaider »

greeneyed wrote: February 17, 2024, 11:03 pm
Agree. I'm very surprised about some of the negative comments in the thread about Sanders. He had some errors, but he did some very good things too. Certainly did not have a "shocker" etc.
Its important to note thar Sanders was also behind a well beaten forward pack and playing off the back foot...not many halves play well in those circumstances.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: February 17, 2024, 5:29 pm Damn Xavier not as quick as we thought - very good run nonetheless
I thought it was interesting he was run down. He was faster than this wasn't he?
I wonder if it was just faster start from Sanders due to angles needed to be run by Xavier.

I was hoping we would see more from him overall. He did well in 2022 and went missing in 2023.