A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Re: A new Canberra Stadium

Post by NoMan »

Those numbers are from the 2018 - 2019 financial year. I kind of recall the Raiders beating Souths in 2019 to make a GF in front of a record crowd about 3 months after. Using Billy's logic they catered to 6% of the population in that game.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: February 10, 2024, 10:55 am
Bay53 wrote:As usual, the debate goes to the location meaning nothing happens.

Not addressing the core problem.
Great point Bay. Andrew Barr has pulled this ‘pea under a cup’ trick in election years with a promise of a new stadium for over a decade and a half.

He speaks like it’s all locked in and then muddies the water with alternative site options and then a bit later unforeseen issues, then he restarts the clock again with a new stadium promise before voting day.
Barr has people on boards like this and social media platforms arguing to the death about where the location should be for a stadium that he’s never gonna build :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

NoMan wrote: February 10, 2024, 2:19 pm Those numbers are from the 2018 - 2019 financial year. I kind of recall the Raiders beating Souths in 2019 to make a GF in front of a record crowd about 3 months after. Using Billy's logic they catered to 6% of the population in that game.
I think your memory and your math might be failing you.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: February 8, 2024, 6:59 pm
Badger17 wrote: You'd be the only informed person in the city who thinks a new stadium at the AIS is a sensible outcome.

Any talk of a sports precinct or restaurants or bars in Bruce is fanciful nonsense. The upgrades to the arena are beyond a joke, so there goes your precinct straight away, and there's no way restaurants and bars would be able to survive in Bruce just off the back of the sporting events held in Canberra in the average year.

I'll be honest, I'll probably be done if they rebuild in Bruce. Membership prices will likely skyrocket in response to the increased rent of the new stadium with no significant improvement in the experience to show for it. In fact given this government's reputation the odds are that they'll build over the carparks, which will restrict access to huge portions of city given how incompetent public transport is here, and I'd be surprised if they even address the exposure to the elements in the stands given the average standards in the rest of the country.

Yeah a new stadium in Bruce is a complete waste of time and money, I guess it doesn't matter though as it's only getting talked about because it's an election year.
I agree that restaurants and bars will not be successful solely on the back of a sports stadium. However, good bars and restaurants in suburban areas do well irrespective.

At the end of the day, there's no question the city will be far better served with a decent entertainment centre on that pool site, rather than a stadium.

Or we could continue to compare Canberra with Melbourne, like somehow there's a huge tract of vacant land right near the city centre waiting for a sports and entertainment complex.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Why would the city be better served by an entertainment centre on the pool site than a stadium? An entertainment centre can fit just about anywhere. There’d be a whole pile of carparks an entertainment centre could be built on.

There is actually a huge tract of vacant land on the other side of Parkes Way, of course. Right near the city centre.

But all is needed is a bit of vision. Put Parkes Way underground and we can have an amazing new Canberra Stadium in Civic.
You can't plonk a 10,000 seat entertainment and convention centre just about anywhere. Nobody here will agree, but location and accessibility for that sort of complex is much more important than an outdoor stadium.

But anyway, continue rant. Get used to the fact a stadium will not be built on Parkes Way or in the middle of Commonwealth Park.

Why can't an entertainment centre be plonked at any of the transport hubs? You can't advocate for bars and restaurants to be built in Bruce purely to supplement the stadium and then turn around and say that an entertainment centre could not work at Bruce too. I'm not suggesting this as an option though.

We've hashed over this many times. Does Canberra really need an entertainment centre catering for 10k fans? Touring artists are going to have their 'big shows' in Sydney and Melbourne on weekends based purely on the numbers. Canberra will always be relegated to mid week shows and the size of the venue has nothing to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
The short answer is yes. Of course we should have a decent capacity convention centre. Canberra's population will reach 500k by 2030. We're not some suburb of Sydney.

Do you have any idea how many 18-30 year olds went to the Spilt Milk festival the last couple of years? 40-50 thousand each year. The regional population is definitely big enough to attract acts that attract 8-10k. Convention event organisers have also been screaming out for decent facilities in Canberra for years.

These new facilities should absolutely be in the vicinity of the city centre and parliamentary triangle. Not Woden or Belconnen or Gungahlin or Tuggeranong.

And that's the plan.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: February 8, 2024, 6:59 pm I agree that restaurants and bars will not be successful solely on the back of a sports stadium. However, good bars and restaurants in suburban areas do well irrespective.

At the end of the day, there's no question the city will be far better served with a decent entertainment centre on that pool site, rather than a stadium.

Or we could continue to compare Canberra with Melbourne, like somehow there's a huge tract of vacant land right near the city centre waiting for a sports and entertainment complex.

Why would the city be better served by an entertainment centre on the pool site than a stadium? An entertainment centre can fit just about anywhere. There’d be a whole pile of carparks an entertainment centre could be built on.

There is actually a huge tract of vacant land on the other side of Parkes Way, of course. Right near the city centre.

But all is needed is a bit of vision. Put Parkes Way underground and we can have an amazing new Canberra Stadium in Civic.
You can't plonk a 10,000 seat entertainment and convention centre just about anywhere. Nobody here will agree, but location and accessibility for that sort of complex is much more important than an outdoor stadium.

But anyway, continue rant. Get used to the fact a stadium will not be built on Parkes Way or in the middle of Commonwealth Park.

Why can't an entertainment centre be plonked at any of the transport hubs? You can't advocate for bars and restaurants to be built in Bruce purely to supplement the stadium and then turn around and say that an entertainment centre could not work at Bruce too. I'm not suggesting this as an option though.

We've hashed over this many times. Does Canberra really need an entertainment centre catering for 10k fans? Touring artists are going to have their 'big shows' in Sydney and Melbourne on weekends based purely on the numbers. Canberra will always be relegated to mid week shows and the size of the venue has nothing to do with it.

The short answer is yes. Of course we should have a decent capacity convention centre. Canberra's population will reach 500k by 2030. We're not some suburb of Sydney.

Do you have any idea how many 18-30 year olds went to the Spilt Milk festival the last couple of years? 40-50 thousand each year. The regional population is definitely big enough to attract acts that attract 8-10k. Convention event organisers have also been screaming out for decent facilities in Canberra for years.

These new facilities should absolutely be in the vicinity of the city centre and parliamentary triangle. Not Woden or Belconnen or Gungahlin or Tuggeranong.

And that's the plan.

I don't think it's fair to use an annual festival as a comparison or basis for building a 10k entertainment venue. Canberra can't even sustain a small venue like the Green Room, yet you think a 10k venue will somehow be different?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 10, 2024, 4:50 pm
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: February 8, 2024, 6:59 pm I agree that restaurants and bars will not be successful solely on the back of a sports stadium. However, good bars and restaurants in suburban areas do well irrespective.

And that's the plan.

Why must a music venue be centrally located, but not a Stadium?

Isn’t it exactly the same rationale for both?
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Billy Walker wrote: February 10, 2024, 3:39 pm
NoMan wrote: February 10, 2024, 2:19 pm Those numbers are from the 2018 - 2019 financial year. I kind of recall the Raiders beating Souths in 2019 to make a GF in front of a record crowd about 3 months after. Using Billy's logic they catered to 6% of the population in that game.
Did this game not occur?

https://www.nrl.com/draw/nrl-premiershi ... rabbitohs/

27k/450k (the population at the time) is 6%.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote: Why would the city be better served by an entertainment centre on the pool site than a stadium? An entertainment centre can fit just about anywhere. There’d be a whole pile of carparks an entertainment centre could be built on.

And that's the plan.

I don't think it's fair to use an annual festival as a comparison or basis for building a 10k entertainment venue. Canberra can't even sustain a small venue like the Green Room, yet you think a 10k venue will somehow be different?

Yes. Absolutely.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

NoMan wrote:
Did this game not occur?

It's in the 19/20 financial year
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

-TW- wrote: February 10, 2024, 6:56 pm
NoMan wrote:
Did this game not occur?

It's in the 19/20 financial year
I mean thats what I said. Billy’s numbers are for a financial year and cut off the Raiders best crowds ever by a few months. The average for 2019 was 16k by the end of the season.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

NoMan wrote: February 10, 2024, 6:04 pm
Did this game not occur?

No away fans attended?
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

Dr Zaius wrote: February 10, 2024, 5:14 am
greeneyed wrote:Woden would be the other best location, behind Civic.
Phillip Oval?
If the Green Room can't survive in Phillip nothing can
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

This is the song that never ends, it goes on and on my friends, Barr promised something he never would, this is the song that never ends keeps going on and on my friends.. .
Vaccinated
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Robert the Bruce wrote:
Phillip Oval?
It didn't survive at Bruce either. The live music scene is dead in Canberra and Seif is the only one that doesn't realise it.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

And that's the plan.

You're not genuinely engaged in the discussion.

The proposal is for a combined convention and entertainment centre on that pool site. I'm not going to explain (again) why a convention centre needs to be located in the city centre, and why that's more important than a football stadium.

You want a stadium there. Let's leave it at that.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on February 11, 2024, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gerg wrote:
Robert the Bruce wrote:
Phillip Oval?
It didn't survive at Bruce either. The live music scene is dead in Canberra and Seif is the only one that doesn't realise it.

OK.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 11, 2024, 8:08 am
greeneyed wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

And that's the plan.

The proposal is for a combined convention and entertainment centre on that pool site. I'm not going to explain (again) why a convention centre needs to be located in the city centre, and why that's more important than a football stadium.

I’m very genuinely engaged. I’m not arguing a Convention Centre or a music venue shouldn’t be in the centre of the city. But they needn’t be co-located. And there are plenty of sites in the city for such facilities. I fail to see why a music venue should be located in the Parliamentary Triangle, or why it’s more important that a music venue be located in the city than a stadium. There’s no difference.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
gerg wrote: Why can't an entertainment centre be plonked at any of the transport hubs? You can't advocate for bars and restaurants to be built in Bruce purely to supplement the stadium and then turn around and say that an entertainment centre could not work at Bruce too. I'm not suggesting this as an option though.

And that's the plan.

I’m very genuinely engaged. I’m not arguing a Convention Centre or a music venue shouldn’t be in the centre of the city. But they needn’t be co-located. And there are plenty of sites in the city for such facilities. I fail to see why a music venue should be located in the Parliamentary Triangle, or why it’s more important that a music venue be located in the city than a stadium. There’s no difference.
The proposal is to build a convention centre which incorporates an entertainment pavilion, not two separate facilities.

So, to be clear, your proposal is to;
- realign Parkes Way
- build a stadium on the pool site
- build a convention centre elsewhere in the city (on an unallocated parking lot?)
- build an entertainment centre elsewhere in Canberra.

I'm not sure how fiscally viable that is.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 11, 2024, 8:56 am
greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: February 10, 2024, 4:50 pm The short answer is yes. Of course we should have a decent capacity convention centre. Canberra's population will reach 500k by 2030. We're not some suburb of Sydney.

And that's the plan.

The proposal is to build a convention centre which incorporates an entertainment pavilion, not two separate facilities.

- realign Parkes Way
- build a convention centre elsewhere in the city (on an unallocated parking lot?)

A music venue could easily be co-located with a new theatre complex. The stadium could easily be co-located with a convention centre. It makes just as much sense to co-locate the stadium with the convention centre as a music venue. My point is that there’s no more reason to put a music venue in Civic than there is to locate a stadium in Civic.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If Andrew Barr hadn’t sold off so many Civic car parks and public housing sites to property developers like Geocon then we’d have had plenty of room in the city for major sporting, entertainment and convention facilities.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: February 11, 2024, 9:21 am If Andrew Barr hadn’t sold off so many Civic car parks and public housing sites to property developers like Geocon then we’d have had plenty of room in the city for major sporting, entertainment and convention facilities.
The definition of a city is a human settlement of notable size. If you don’t have developers building density accommodation then you don’t have a city. Plenty of room at Bruce, but that’s right, it hasn’t got the density population to justify the other amenities we want around this monumental covered creation.

Go for a walk around the carparks near the pool and see how many Canberrans are sleeping rough or living out of cars. Ask them where a city stadium sits on their list of priorities.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: February 11, 2024, 8:56 am
greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

- realign Parkes Way

A music venue could easily be co-located with a new theatre complex. The stadium could easily be co-located with a convention centre. It makes just as much sense to co-locate the stadium with the convention centre as a music venue. My point is that there’s no more reason to put a music venue in Civic than there is to locate a stadium in Civic.
I understand the dual stadium/convention centre idea.

I'm no engineer, but I have doubts about the viability of a dual theatre/concert venue if you want to have dedicated facilities for both. You can't combine them, like you can't combine a cricket and football stadium.

We'll see what happens. I'd love for all of it to be in the city, but have accepted that's not going to be the case.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Robert the Bruce wrote:
Phillip Oval?

OK.

I was really into the live music scene years ago and would go out to different venues every weekend to see bands. Terminus, Terrace bar, ANU, Basement, the Circus, NATEX, AIS, Greenroom, Toast, UC for Stonefest, Transit. I was there at Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Tool several times, Dub War, Whitlams, skunkhour several times, and so many more. Canberra has never been a sustainable location to draw the big acts, for big events and never will. The venues were there to have Pearl Jam play at NATEX, I've been to big dance parties at AIS, and I know other International artists have played at AIS. A lack of a large venue is not what is holding back the music scene in Canberra.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gerg wrote: February 11, 2024, 12:15 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Robert the Bruce wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: February 10, 2024, 5:14 am Phillip Oval?

OK.

I was really into the live music scene years ago and would go out to different venues every weekend to see bands. Terminus, Terrace bar, ANU, Basement, the Circus, NATEX, AIS, Greenroom, Toast, UC for Stonefest, Transit. I was there at Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Tool several times, Dub War, Whitlams, skunkhour several times, and so many more. Canberra has never been a sustainable location to draw the big acts, for big events and never will. The venues were there to have Pearl Jam play at NATEX, I've been to big dance parties at AIS, and I know other International artists have played at AIS. A lack of a large venue is not what is holding back the music scene in Canberra.

He said ok
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, all those acts plus Pink, Post Malone AC/DC, Lorde, Midnight Oil, Public Enemy, Crowded House, Dire Straits, Powderfinger, Silverchair, Elton John.... Having them all play in Canberra definitely prove our music scene is dead and we should most certainly not make available facilities to host any such concerts in the future. There's certainly no demand for these acts in Canberra.

Top logic.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:Yep, all those acts plus Pink, Post Malone AC/DC, Lorde, Midnight Oil, Public Enemy, Crowded House, Dire Straits, Powderfinger, Silverchair, Elton John.... Having them all play in Canberra definitely prove our music scene is dead and we should most certainly not make available facilities to host any such concerts in the future. There's certainly no demand for these acts in Canberra.

Top logic.

Which of those artists was the most recent? When the best and most prolific live music venue in Canberra is a grungy pub in Belconnen it perfectly depicts the current state of the music scene in Canberra.

Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

gerg wrote: February 11, 2024, 2:45 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:Yep, all those acts plus Pink, Post Malone AC/DC, Lorde, Midnight Oil, Public Enemy, Crowded House, Dire Straits, Powderfinger, Silverchair, Elton John.... Having them all play in Canberra definitely prove our music scene is dead and we should most certainly not make available facilities to host any such concerts in the future. There's certainly no demand for these acts in Canberra.

Top logic.

Which of those artists was the most recent? When the best and most prolific live music venue in Canberra is a grungy pub in Belconnen it perfectly depicts the current state of the music scene in Canberra.

Yeah how good is it. Real music, real venue. Not sitting on a seat in a stadium somewhere watching a band playing a song that is basically four bar blues with synths and overdubbed lines like "yeah babe" and "baby yeah" and "yeah baby yeah" all on backing tracks (the band aren't playing any of their instruments of course) but it's ok because there are pyrotechnics yay *clap*.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson

gerg wrote: February 11, 2024, 2:45 pm

Top logic.

Wait, grungey pub?....pub? The Pot Belly? In no way is that the best and most prolific live music venue in Canberra and just like the Green Room and Bruce Stadium, they aren't doing themselves any favors by not being in the city.

Venues in and around the city do alright, SIdeway, Smiths, Live at the Polo, The Shaking Hand, AInlie Arts Centre, Transit, Kambri, Fun TIme Pony?, there are heaps, and they are vital for supporting local artists, like the local artist who won album of the year last year at the ARIA's. The lesson they're teaching us is do it in the city, and your way better off. It's all show business baby.
Last edited by Robert the Bruce on February 11, 2024, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gerg wrote:

Top logic.

Sorry, I don't understand your point. I watch live acts on the reg at Potbelly, Dickson Taphouse, Smith's, the Basement, Transit. You absolutely need those venues going.

The city also needs the 5-10000 seat indoor venues for those bigger national and international acts, and then a 30k stadium for even bigger acts. Festivals like Spilt Milk and GTM attracts 10s of thousands of patrons. Juicy Fest isn't my thing but I think over 5000 people attended. Matchbox 20 is here this month if that's your thing. (It's not mine.)

To answer your question plenty of big names have been here the last few years as part of festival lineups (look them up yourself), but its quite clear most international acts avoid Canberra because we don't have adequate concert facilities, not because people don't care about live music. I really don't know what point you're making.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:
BJ wrote: February 11, 2024, 9:21 am If Andrew Barr hadn’t sold off so many Civic car parks and public housing sites to property developers like Geocon then we’d have had plenty of room in the city for major sporting, entertainment and convention facilities.
The definition of a city is a human settlement of notable size. If you don’t have developers building density accommodation then you don’t have a city. Plenty of room at Bruce, but that’s right, it hasn’t got the density population to justify the other amenities we want around this monumental covered creation.

Go for a walk around the carparks near the pool and see how many Canberrans are sleeping rough or living out of cars. Ask them where a city stadium sits on their list of priorities.
I’m not sure you know that much about urban planning or the pathway to where we are in Civic.

Many of those rough sleepers you mentioned came from the public housing near Civic such as Bega Flats or along Northbourne Avenue. They chose to live in cars or rough in the area they’ve lived for decades. These public housing flats were sold off by the ACT government to the likes of Geocon I mentioned.

Good cities have housing, entertainment, sports infrastructure etc in the city centre.

It wasn’t a binary choice for the government between either housing the poor or a new sports stadium. It was a choice to make a lot of money for some people, make apartments for those wealthy enough to buy them, and stuff rectangular oval sports fans and public housing tenants.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Nobody had consulted us': Barr's stadium announcement blindsides current tenants

They might be the current tenants with a long-term lease, but NSW Rugby League were blindsided by the ACT government's announcement their current Bruce headquarters was the preferred location for the new Canberra Stadium. The Belconnen Sharks, the Disability Trust and the ACT's rugby league referees also call it home.

"It was a surprise because nobody had consulted us," NSWRL chief executive Dave Trodden said. "The first we heard about it was when it was brought to our attention by somebody from the Canberra rugby league who had seen the announcements. I gather it came as a surprise to them as well.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:

Top logic.

Sorry, I don't understand your point. I watch live acts on the reg at Potbelly, Dickson Taphouse, Smith's, the Basement, Transit. You absolutely need those venues going.

The city also needs the 5-10000 seat indoor venues for those bigger national and international acts, and then a 30k stadium for even bigger acts. Festivals like Spilt Milk and GTM attracts 10s of thousands of patrons. Juicy Fest isn't my thing but I think over 5000 people attended. Matchbox 20 is here this month if that's your thing. (It's not mine.)

To answer your question plenty of big names have been here the last few years as part of festival lineups (look them up yourself), but its quite clear most international acts avoid Canberra because we don't have adequate concert facilities, not because people don't care about live music. I really don't know what point you're making.

Good to see a large international act like Matchbox 20 playing in Canberra. Apparently there are suitable venues in Canberra already. None of the other gigs you mentioned happened in the last decade ... maybe Post Malone but that's not my thing so I don't know when that was.

My point is that a lack of venues, current and your future entertainment centre, isn't the factor in holding back the music scene. It's the music scene itself.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

To be fair, the public flats in the inner city suburbs were like slums. I've had relos and friends live in Bega Flats, Condamine Courts and Stuart Flats over the years. Horrendous stuff, glad they're gone.

Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson

gerg wrote: February 11, 2024, 5:32 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:

Top logic.

Good to see a large international act like Matchbox 20 playing in Canberra. Apparently there are suitable venues in Canberra already. None of the other gigs you mentioned happened in the last decade ... maybe Post Malone but that's not my thing so I don't know when that was.

My point is that a lack of venues, current and your future entertainment centre, isn't the factor in holding back the music scene. It's the music scene itself.

Could you explain further? How is the Canberra music scene holding back the music scene in Canberra?

There are heaps of venues, all very popular, and there are heaps of festivals in Canberra, attracting international acts. Last year we had two Canberra artists in the hottest 100, you could count on one hand how many have been on that list throughout its entire history. Last year a Canberra artist won the award for the best Australian album at the Arias. You could argue it's never been better, and if it isn't, when was it?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Robert the Bruce wrote:
gerg wrote: February 11, 2024, 5:32 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:

Top logic.

Could you explain further? How is the Canberra music scene holding back the music scene in Canberra?

There are heaps of venues, all very popular, and there are heaps of festivals in Canberra, attracting international acts. Last year we had two Canberra artists in the hottest 100, you could count on one hand how many have been on that list throughout its entire history. Last year a Canberra artist won the award for the best Australian album at the Arias. You could argue it's never been better, and if it isn't, when was it?
There is enough small venues currently to accommodate the small crowds. There is enough options or venues to support the small handful of larger events. Do we need a new venue with a 10k capacity which gets used once or twice a year? The festivals probably wouldn't use it, so who is using this 10k venue?