Canberra Raiders team for 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders team for 2024

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: January 19, 2024, 9:18 pm My team, which is to bank on youth, and who seems to be the long term plan (I'll ignore suspensions, so strongest 17). So I'd go:
1. Stewart
2. Savage
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Rapa
6. Strange
7. Fog
8. Horse
9. Woolford (tempted to punt on Trev)
10. Tapz
11. Whitey
12. Huddo
13. Smithies

14. Puru
15. Mooney
16. Ata
17. Papa

My typical interchanges would be:
1. Tapz>Papa @25mins
2. Smithies>Ata @30mins
3. Horse>Puru @35mins
4. Papa>Mooney @55mins (Papa 30 mins*)
5. Ata>Tapz @60mins (Ata 30mins, Tapz 45mins)
6. Whitey>Smithies @60mins (Smithies 50mins)
7. Woolford> Horse @65mins (Puru to 9 for 45mins, Horse 50mins)
8. *injury OR need a Big Papa special (Mooney 25min max)
I like this mate, but because I know you’re a fan of writing lists - if this is your first Grade side can you show your corresponding NSW cup side? I think it would be pretty damn strong in a lot of ways.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: January 19, 2024, 9:18 pm My team, which is to bank on youth, and who seems to be the long term plan (I'll ignore suspensions, so strongest 17). So I'd go:
1. Stewart
2. Savage
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Rapa
6. Strange
7. Fog
8. Horse
10. Tapz
11. Whitey
12. Huddo
13. Smithies

14. Puru
15. Mooney
16. Ata
17. Papa

1. Tapz>Papa @25mins
2. Smithies>Ata @30mins
3. Horse>Puru @35mins
That's probably the best use of our forwards. Like plenty of others I'd like to see that. Let's see how many rounds it takes the Rickster to get there- my tip Round 16.

I'm finding it impossible to pick the backs at the moment. I have no idea really how to pick between Stewart, Weekes, Strange. Savage and in what positions. I'd just be guessing until I see a trial at least.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

BadnMean wrote: January 20, 2024, 6:57 am
1. Stewart
2. Savage
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Rapa
6. Strange
7. Fog
8. Horse
10. Tapz
11. Whitey
12. Huddo
13. Smithies

14. Puru
15. Mooney
16. Ata
17. Papa

1. Tapz>Papa @25mins
2. Smithies>Ata @30mins
3. Horse>Puru @35mins
That's probably the best use of our forwards. Like plenty of others I'd like to see that. Let's see how many rounds it takes the Rickster to get there- my tip Round 16.

I'm finding it impossible to pick the backs at the moment. I have no idea really how to pick between Stewart, Weekes, Strange. Savage and in what positions. I'd just be guessing until I see a trial at least.
There’s not enough Hopoate, Levi, Guler in there for the Rickster mate…
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: January 20, 2024, 4:31 am
1. Stewart
2. Savage
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Rapa
6. Strange
7. Fog
8. Horse
10. Tapz
11. Whitey
12. Huddo
13. Smithies

14. Puru
15. Mooney
16. Ata
17. Papa

1. Tapz>Papa @25mins
2. Smithies>Ata @30mins
3. Horse>Puru @35mins
I like this mate, but because I know you’re a fan of writing lists - if this is your first Grade side can you show your corresponding NSW cup side? I think it would be pretty damn strong in a lot of ways.
I know your being a smart a*$*, but..

1. Weekes
2. Cotric
3. Schiller
4. Hoppa
5. Asamoa
6. Sisagi
7. Henderson
8. Guler
9. Levi
10. Saulo
11. J. Martin
12. Hosking's
13. Starling

14. Trevilyan
15. N. Martin
16. Patuki-Chase
17. Hola
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Right now I would say

Savage
Cotric
Timoko
Kris
Raps
Weekes
Fog
Taps
Levi
Hors
Hudson
Hosking
Smithies

Starling
Paps
Ata
Whitehead

Strange will get a couple of games at centre with Kris suspended.
Savage is up in the air as I think fullback more than any other position will depend on who proforms in training/preseason.
I think saulo might get over Ata at the start of the season but it's a close run.
This is the first season in a long time where half of the side is up for grabs legitimately. It will be really interesting to see how reserve grade side goes early in the season because there will be a lot of disappointed players running out. It will be fascinating to see how many step up and really push the first graders and how many drop their heads.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

Here you go, straight from the horses mouth. Ricky with Crawley from News Ltd. Reads to me that Weekes is starting at 5/8 and Savage, if does everything right over the next few months, starts at fullback.

Ricky Stuart lifts the hood on the Green Machine in 2024

PC:Who fills Jack’s boots at five-eighth? Who is competing for the No.6 jumper?

RS: Kaeo Weekes, Ethan Strange.

PC:Tell us about Kaeo Weekes. A young bloke with obvious talent but limited experience. What are fair expectations for him in 2024?

RS:Kaeo is an NRL player, he has speed, a good kicking game and really good fundamentals. He will get an opportunity and has settled into Canberra and our pre-season very well.

PC:What about Ethan Strange. He was a standout in the NSW under-19s who got his NRL debut against the Storm late in the season playing centres but he grew up playing five-eighth. Is he in the mix to play six or does he stay in the centres from an NRL perspective at this point of his development?

RS: Ethan will have a successful career as an NRL player, he will be given every opportunity to push his claims for an NRL spot this season. He has had a taste and knows what he needs to work on. He is a natural footballer with toughness and is a competitor. He can play six or centre.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 8dc2b4ae75
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Thanks for posting that.
Yeah i think a lot of that is fairly telling and we're not going to get the 17 that we want for round 1.
The Ang
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by The Ang »

Botman wrote: January 23, 2024, 2:58 pm Thanks for posting that.
Yeah i think a lot of that is fairly telling and we're not going to get the 17 that we want for round 1.
Levi at hooker? 😩
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

KasparRaider wrote: January 23, 2024, 2:41 pm Here you go, straight from the horses mouth. Ricky with Crawley from News Ltd. Reads to me that Weekes is starting at 5/8 and Savage, if does everything right over the next few months, starts at fullback.

Ricky Stuart lifts the hood on the Green Machine in 2024

PC:Who fills Jack’s boots at five-eighth? Who is competing for the No.6 jumper?

RS: Kaeo Weekes, Ethan Strange.

PC:Tell us about Kaeo Weekes. A young bloke with obvious talent but limited experience. What are fair expectations for him in 2024?

RS:Kaeo is an NRL player, he has speed, a good kicking game and really good fundamentals. He will get an opportunity and has settled into Canberra and our pre-season very well.

PC:What about Ethan Strange. He was a standout in the NSW under-19s who got his NRL debut against the Storm late in the season playing centres but he grew up playing five-eighth. Is he in the mix to play six or does he stay in the centres from an NRL perspective at this point of his development?

RS: Ethan will have a successful career as an NRL player, he will be given every opportunity to push his claims for an NRL spot this season. He has had a taste and knows what he needs to work on. He is a natural footballer with toughness and is a competitor. He can play six or centre.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 8dc2b4ae75
What's the rest say?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He did have the full article up before, but you had to get in quick before GE shut it down for bypassing the paywall :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 23, 2024, 6:31 pm He did have the full article up before, but you had to get in quick before GE shut it down for bypassing the paywall :lol:
Fair enough.
Sounds like it's mostly what we suspected, but not what we hoped.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Was a lot of not much really
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: January 19, 2024, 6:32 pm
1. S̶a̶v̶a̶g̶e̶ Stewart
2. Rapana
3. S̶t̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ Timoko
4. T̶i̶m̶o̶k̶o̶ Strange
5. Cotric
6. Weekes
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Levi
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Smithies

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. S̶a̶u̶l̶o̶ Mariota
17. Hosking

Fixed. That's my prediction for round 1. Personally, I'd take Levi, Starling and either Hosking or Whitehead out and replace them with Woolford, Puru and Mooney. I think Guler would then drop out for Horsburgh for me.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

NRL free agency ratings: Experts rate each club’s 2024 recruitment drive

RAIDERS
Ins: Simi Sasagi (Knights), Kaeo Weekes (Sea Eagles), Morgan Smithies (Wigan), Zac Hosking (Panthers)
Outs: Jack Wighton (Rabbitohs), Matt Frawley (Leeds Rhinos), Jarrod Croker (retired), Harley Smith-Shields (Titans)
Rating: C-

Made a calculated gamble not going hard to recruit an experienced but potentially overpriced replacement for Jack Wighton but instead invest in youth.

That will allow former Sea Eagle rookie Kaeo Weekes (12 NRL games so far) to step up with young gun Ethan Strange (1 NRL appearance) his main competition for the No 6 jersey. Englishman Morgan Smithies (boasting 100-plus games for Wigan) arrives with a solid resume but will have a tough job pushing his way into what is a very strong pack.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 751300c156
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Raiders_Pat wrote: January 25, 2024, 4:55 pm
1. S̶a̶v̶a̶g̶e̶ Stewart
2. Rapana
3. S̶t̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ Timoko
4. T̶i̶m̶o̶k̶o̶ Strange
5. Cotric
6. Weekes
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Levi
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Smithies

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. S̶a̶u̶l̶o̶ Mariota
17. Hosking

Fixed. That's my prediction for round 1. Personally, I'd take Levi, Starling and either Hosking or Whitehead out and replace them with Woolford, Puru and Mooney. I think Guler would then drop out for Horsburgh for me.
I agree with both of your takes (Whitehead out - Hosking to play 80 at some point during the season) but I would also have Savage in for Cotric. Cotric has had such a downfall which is wild considering his strengths when he first came into grade were simple - strong carries, low errors, good under the high ball. He just seems so ineffective in attack, prone to an error and SLOW.

I also wouldn’t want Hosking to play in the middle when he comes on. Maybe he comes on for Whitehead after 25 and Whitehead can go into the middle rotation. Regardless they will both be there round 1 imo - clubs don’t sign players on 3 year contracts to start in reserve grade unless something drastic happens.

I will say, Woolford certainly doesn’t have a mortgage on the number 9 jersey. If Levi out performs him in the trials, happy for him to start. A combination of Starling and Puru also has potential to be damaging.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: January 31, 2024, 1:50 pm
1. S̶a̶v̶a̶g̶e̶ Stewart
2. Rapana
3. S̶t̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ Timoko
4. T̶i̶m̶o̶k̶o̶ Strange
5. Cotric
6. Weekes
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Levi
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Smithies

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. S̶a̶u̶l̶o̶ Mariota
17. Hosking

I agree with both of your takes (Whitehead out - Hosking to play 80 at some point during the season) but I would also have Savage in for Cotric. Cotric has had such a downfall which is wild considering his strengths when he first came into grade were simple - strong carries, low errors, good under the high ball. He just seems so ineffective in attack, prone to an error and SLOW.

I also wouldn’t want Hosking to play in the middle when he comes on. Maybe he comes on for Whitehead after 25 and Whitehead can go into the middle rotation. Regardless they will both be there round 1 imo - clubs don’t sign players on 3 year contracts to start in reserve grade unless something drastic happens.

I will say, Woolford certainly doesn’t have a mortgage on the number 9 jersey. If Levi out performs him in the trials, happy for him to start. A combination of Starling and Puru also has potential to be damaging.
Well said. Agree with the very good points you make
jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Billy Walker wrote: January 31, 2024, 3:50 pm
1. S̶a̶v̶a̶g̶e̶ Stewart
2. Rapana
3. S̶t̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ Timoko
4. T̶i̶m̶o̶k̶o̶ Strange
5. Cotric
6. Weekes
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Levi
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Smithies

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. S̶a̶u̶l̶o̶ Mariota
17. Hosking

Starling damaging lol maybe in under 14’s comp
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

jimmy82 wrote: January 31, 2024, 6:22 pm
Billy Walker wrote: January 31, 2024, 3:50 pm
1. S̶a̶v̶a̶g̶e̶ Stewart
2. Rapana
3. S̶t̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ Timoko
4. T̶i̶m̶o̶k̶o̶ Strange
5. Cotric
6. Weekes
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Levi
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Smithies

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. S̶a̶u̶l̶o̶ Mariota
17. Hosking

Starling damaging lol maybe in under 14’s comp
Can’t argue with you on that bit. Starling is damaging to supporter happiness!
Ben & Sev Love Milk
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana and Josh Papali’i

Post by Ben & Sev Love Milk »

Take 2 for round 1
1. Stewart
2. Savage
3. Strange
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Weekes
7. Forgarty
8. Papalii
9. Starling/ Woolford/ Levi / Trev ( I honestly can’t pick one , so whoever goes best in trials)
10.Tapine
11.Young
12.Whitehead
13.Smithies

14.Puru
15.Mariota
16.Mooney
17.Hosking

Kris and Big Red come into best 17 , form dependent who gets left out.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Ben and Sev Love Milk wrote: February 4, 2024, 7:21 pm Take 2 for round 1
1. Stewart
2. Savage
3. Strange
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Weekes
7. Forgarty
8. Papalii
9. Starling/ Woolford/ Levi / Trev ( I honestly can’t pick one , so whoever goes best in trials)
10.Tapine
11.Young
12.Whitehead
13.Smithies

14.Puru
15.Mariota
16.Mooney
17.Hosking

Kris and Big Red come into best 17 , form dependent who gets left out.
I'll take one of these please
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I like Ben and Sev's proposed side, except the mere mention of Levi being near the 17 makes me shiver like it's a cold Canberra winter night.

Really don't understand why Kris is still suspended - the rulings on the rep games seem arbitrary and inconsistent to me
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Yeah I can't see Hosking being left out of the side either but I think we would be better off going with either Hosking or Whitehead and the other to miss out. If they both play, then Mooney will likely be the guy who misses out and in my view we need to give him plenty of game time this year. On Levi, I don't think he should even be considered a starting option and should be viewed as a back up only. But I would take Levi starting as a concession if we could get Puru in the 14. I don't mind Savage for Cotric either but I'm not confident we will see Savage there.
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

Raiders_Pat wrote: February 11, 2024, 10:44 am

Yeah I can't see Hosking being left out of the side either but I think we would be better off going with either Hosking or Whitehead and the other to miss out. If they both play, then Mooney will likely be the guy who misses out and in my view we need to give him plenty of game time this year. On Levi, I don't think he should even be considered a starting option and should be viewed as a back up only. But I would take Levi starting as a concession if we could get Puru in the 14. I don't mind Savage for Cotric either but I'm not confident we will see Savage there.
Geez I hope we don't see a Levi/Starling pairing unless there are injuries (that sounds like something Stick would do though huh)
Braddrew
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Braddrew »

Personally, I think Levi and starling have had ample first grade games to show what they have to offer. Stats and eye test show we are a better team when Woolford is on the park, so I would rather finish the game with him on the field. To make that happen, I would be confident in Puru covering the softening up period and shoring up the middle in the first 20

1. Stewart/ Savage (happy to pick off trial form)
2. Cotric/ Savage (trials)
3. Kris (from round 2)
4. Timoko
5. Rapa
6. Weekes/ strange (trials)
7. Fogs
8. Hors (from round 3)
9. Puru (plays first 20min)
10. Taps
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Smithies

14. Woolford (plays last 60min)
15. Hosking
16. Papa
17. Ata/ Mooney (trials)
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

I think Woodfords strength is his direct passing, he gets the forwards rolling and must be our starting hooker for 2024
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

I don't remember a season where we had this much depth and a genuine battle for positions.

Based upon last night there are a lot of forwards that look fit and on the improve. In NSW cup we could see the likes of Guler, Saulo, Mooney, Hosking, Mariota and any of Woolford, Starling or Levi. Guys like Hola and Taateo will be lucky to get a spot in NSW cup which is very pleasing as they are very good players at that level in their own right.

In the backs Weekes, Strange, Savage, Cotric, Asomua, Hopoate, Schiller are all likely to play a fair chunk of NSW cup at different stages.

Players look fit and I'd be happy with any of those names at NRL level.

A lot of positive signs.

Do we honestly need Leilua? I'd suggest not this season. As it would mean another of our young emerging brigade is playing more cup at a time they should/could be playing NRL at many other clubs.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I didn’t see any standout second rowers last night so I’d say LL still makes a lot of sense.

Martin is a good prospect but hasn’t played NSW cup and could end up a middle anyway.

Spencer and Sasagi were decent enough but not pushing for NRL from what I saw.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Young is an 80 minute player, so too Hosking. EW will be there. If injury hits shifting one of Puru, Mooney or Hors to an edge wouldn't be the worst allowing young players like Mariota and Mooney more minutes.

I'm not opposed to the LL signing entirely but the cost will be that our younger players will be playing NSW cup.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Im going to leave the LL thing to the side for now, and wait for that problem to be real. Based off what Ive seen in the All Stars and the Eels trial, my 17 for Rd1, and potentially moving forward, has changed a little.

1. Stewart - not a lot in attack the other night, but he is a small bloke, and he made two 1 on 1 tackles on breaks. The one on a rampaging Tuilagi was especially good. Im willing to watch the developement. I did think it was strange (pun intended) that Ethan GKed ahead of him last night. He was a decent GKer in Cup last yr.

2. *Schiller* - I've wanted this to be a young guy, as I wasnt impressed by Cotric last year, that said he was solid yesterday barring the bombed try. I had Savage edging Schiller here in previously because of the speed upside. I liked the few runs Savage had, explosive speed with 3 or 4 half breaks and the long 70m swerving run - exactly the thing we needed last yr. It didnt help his chances that we defended for huge chunks of the time he was on either. HOWEVER, Schiller has the kick chase highlight vs Storm at AAMI park for the win, he also had 2 tries in the finals loss to the Knights last yr. His length of the field 20m tap try was straight outta the Mullins play book, which shows he has plenty of toe too; gotta love pedigree! He was arguably best on ground yesterday. Another performance like this will be hard to ignore, BUT, I also hope Ricky doesnt make the mistake again, of not picking the form guy. HSS had 2 great preseasons, he didnt get picked and got injured instead. Please please pick the form guy.

3. Kris is still my long term option, and I'm sure Ricky thinks the same. BUT, Schiller as above, is putting pressure on the incumbents. I also think Strange showed good running and elusive ability yesterday at 7. He moves more like an outside back than a half though, so might yet be a long term centre rather than half, but he is still young. I fell like Ricky will pick a Hosking or Sisagi here for a 1 wk defensive rental, but could be fun to see another kid here.

4. Timoko, had a shocker in the All Stars TBH, esp the cake of soap dropped try, but was our best last yr.

5. Jordan 'old man river' Rapa. Dont over think it, but again, the kids are coming for him, and I could see him outta the side by seasons end if they kids keep going as they are. Asamoua was scary good in that last 20mins vs the Eels. He was fast, physical, and kick chase was on point. He's a better version of Hoppa IMO, and I think hes what Ricky is hoping Hoppa could/would be.

6. Strange. I think Ricky will still go with Weekes, but IMO, Strange outplayed Weekes on the weekend. Weekes was good in the first 10-15, but as the game went on, Strange was the one who kept showing up, kept getting involved and kept calling the ball. He also put in a near 40/20, which really shocked me. Neither of them are noted kickers, but that's 1 think Ricky wont accept from his halves, and that's an inability to kick. So both have obviously worked on it. I will say, Weekes looks a more natural kicker, but Strange was as effective. I still think Strange is a better foil for Fog, but Weekes can run too.

7. Fog, VC, no brainer.

8. Horse/ Ata - doesnt really matter to me which starts, Horse is the QLD rep, so it will be him, but these two are very good and easily top 17.

9. Woolford - was captain last night, so the early HIA wasnt ideal. I really want this to be Trev, but until he proves the ability/ wraps Woolford is the best option.

10. Taps - doesnt this bloke LOOOOVE the All Stars fixture. Another big game with a try.

11. Huddo - fringe NSW rep.

12. Whitey, C, he'll be there. We've talked at length about him. My view hasnt changed.

13. Smithies - Again, this will be Ricks pick. He's a fringe English international. Puru was solid the other night, and his numbers were better than I thought, but given the weather we didnt see the ball playing. If you saw the Sharks game, his brother did a great job in that regard, and I think Hohepa has the same ability. So, might yet sneak into the 13.

14. Puru - Im not taking a Starling and being forced to cut my 9s mins short. I think he offers too much versatility for injury etc on game day, and he has plenty of ability in his own right. Ricky will take Starling.

15. Mooney - his Haka was scary, band and mean. He also carried the ball really well, and was hard to bring down. He took back to back oof the ball hits in that 2nd half. He did get up and into the game desipte being hurt too. I didnt like all the decoys, but thats the modern prop.

16. Ata/ Horse - whomever doesnt start, likely Ata. His offload in the Eels game to create the break was an example of he maturity and evolution as a player. Hes ready.

17. Papa. No brainer.

I will say, Saulo and Hola did their chances no hard in that Eels game. Saulo ran with ferocity, esp the HIA moment. Hola down the Hume Hwy was also glorious. I think both outplayed Guler the other night. So, if middle injuries occur, we are very well stocked. I cant believe we couldnt use 1 of these guys in a play swap TBH.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Nice post Matt - I’m going to put it to you though…. If LL is signed and ready to go, how do you slot him in and who misses out?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Nice side Matt !
I'd like Savage to start the trial as fullback and let's just see how he is going. Then bring Chevy on after half hour, it would give us a bit of an answer on form and best at the moment in the fullback roll
Schiller deserves Kris' centre spot for round 1 also
Last edited by Neeeegz on February 18, 2024, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Billy Walker wrote: February 18, 2024, 5:44 pm Nice post Matt - I’m going to put it to you though…. If LL is signed and ready to go, how do you slot him in and who misses out?
He plays second row and Whitehead plays as the forward utility off the bench.

You don’t need 5 props with an 80 minute lock.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote:Im going to leave the LL thing to the side for now, and wait for that problem to be real. Based off what Ive seen in the All Stars and the Eels trial, my 17 for Rd1, and potentially moving forward, has changed a little.

1. Stewart - not a lot in attack the other night, but he is a small bloke, and he made two 1 on 1 tackles on breaks. The one on a rampaging Tuilagi was especially good. Im willing to watch the developement. I did think it was strange (pun intended) that Ethan GKed ahead of him last night. He was a decent GKer in Cup last yr.

2. *Schiller* - I've wanted this to be a young guy, as I wasnt impressed by Cotric last year, that said he was solid yesterday barring the bombed try. I had Savage edging Schiller here in previously because of the speed upside. I liked the few runs Savage had, explosive speed with 3 or 4 half breaks and the long 70m swerving run - exactly the thing we needed last yr. It didnt help his chances that we defended for huge chunks of the time he was on either. HOWEVER, Schiller has the kick chase highlight vs Storm at AAMI park for the win, he also had 2 tries in the finals loss to the Knights last yr. His length of the field 20m tap try was straight outta the Mullins play book, which shows he has plenty of toe too; gotta love pedigree! He was arguably best on ground yesterday. Another performance like this will be hard to ignore, BUT, I also hope Ricky doesnt make the mistake again, of not picking the form guy. HSS had 2 great preseasons, he didnt get picked and got injured instead. Please please pick the form guy.

3. Kris is still my long term option, and I'm sure Ricky thinks the same. BUT, Schiller as above, is putting pressure on the incumbents. I also think Strange showed good running and elusive ability yesterday at 7. He moves more like an outside back than a half though, so might yet be a long term centre rather than half, but he is still young. I fell like Ricky will pick a Hosking or Sisagi here for a 1 wk defensive rental, but could be fun to see another kid here.

4. Timoko, had a shocker in the All Stars TBH, esp the cake of soap dropped try, but was our best last yr.

5. Jordan 'old man river' Rapa. Dont over think it, but again, the kids are coming for him, and I could see him outta the side by seasons end if they kids keep going as they are. Asamoua was scary good in that last 20mins vs the Eels. He was fast, physical, and kick chase was on point. He's a better version of Hoppa IMO, and I think hes what Ricky is hoping Hoppa could/would be.

6. Strange. I think Ricky will still go with Weekes, but IMO, Strange outplayed Weekes on the weekend. Weekes was good in the first 10-15, but as the game went on, Strange was the one who kept showing up, kept getting involved and kept calling the ball. He also put in a near 40/20, which really shocked me. Neither of them are noted kickers, but that's 1 think Ricky wont accept from his halves, and that's an inability to kick. So both have obviously worked on it. I will say, Weekes looks a more natural kicker, but Strange was as effective. I still think Strange is a better foil for Fog, but Weekes can run too.

7. Fog, VC, no brainer.

8. Horse/ Ata - doesnt really matter to me which starts, Horse is the QLD rep, so it will be him, but these two are very good and easily top 17.

9. Woolford - was captain last night, so the early HIA wasnt ideal. I really want this to be Trev, but until he proves the ability/ wraps Woolford is the best option.

10. Taps - doesnt this bloke LOOOOVE the All Stars fixture. Another big game with a try.

11. Huddo - fringe NSW rep.

12. Whitey, C, he'll be there. We've talked at length about him. My view hasnt changed.

13. Smithies - Again, this will be Ricks pick. He's a fringe English international. Puru was solid the other night, and his numbers were better than I thought, but given the weather we didnt see the ball playing. If you saw the Sharks game, his brother did a great job in that regard, and I think Hohepa has the same ability. So, might yet sneak into the 13.

14. Puru - Im not taking a Starling and being forced to cut my 9s mins short. I think he offers too much versatility for injury etc on game day, and he has plenty of ability in his own right. Ricky will take Starling.

15. Mooney - his Haka was scary, band and mean. He also carried the ball really well, and was hard to bring down. He took back to back oof the ball hits in that 2nd half. He did get up and into the game desipte being hurt too. I didnt like all the decoys, but thats the modern prop.

16. Ata/ Horse - whomever doesnt start, likely Ata. His offload in the Eels game to create the break was an example of he maturity and evolution as a player. Hes ready.

17. Papa. No brainer.

I will say, Saulo and Hola did their chances no hard in that Eels game. Saulo ran with ferocity, esp the HIA moment. Hola down the Hume Hwy was also glorious. I think both outplayed Guler the other night. So, if middle injuries occur, we are very well stocked. I cant believe we couldnt use 1 of these guys in a play swap TBH.
My god, this just reads like the ramblings of an absolute madman, doesn’t it?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m not going to second guess an expert in the field.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

It's the sudden all caps that always does it for me. The passion is palpable.