Jamal Fogarty named Raiders vice captain for 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Raiders have announced Jamal Fogarty as the club's vice-captain for the 2024 season. Elliott Whitehead will remain as the club captain, after club co-captain Jarrod Croker retired at the end of the 2023 season. Fogarty’s on-field role as halfback played part in the decision to have him as Whitehead's deputy, as Fogarty will be the perfect player to take over the on-field captaincy if Whitehead is replaced during a match.

"Obviously, I'm honored to be in this position. But I also have to understand that my role doesn't really change. I've still got to be the main talker within the team and if I can knuckle down and keep doing my part then we can have a better season," Fogarty said.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/02 ... -for-2024/
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Re: Jamal Fogarty named Raiders vice captain for 2024

Post by NoMan »

Surprised it wasn't Tapine but I guess there's a decent chance of Whitehead and he been off the park at the same time.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

This says a lot of things that it shouldn't...

1. Ricky and/or Whitey are too stubborn to step aside.
2. "Fog has to step up and lead"... I'd argue wearing the 7 means it's in the job description anyway.
3. Taps isn't ready for the responsibility... :roflmao What a slap in the face.
4. You've just VCed the bloke who is "in the way of" the potentially incoming Sanders - the next big thing.

IMO, Taps should be a Co-Capt, which we have done a few times recently, OR, do a Co-VC, thus avoiding the politics.

OR, better yet....

Do what Cows did. Future is now! They cut Lolo and Chad for Deaden and Cotter.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It makes sense for Fogarty to be vice captain. But in my view, it was also time to make Joe Tapine the co-captain.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Cutting smelly would be madness! The cows are hardly and organisation to model yourself against.

I'd have thought taps would have been next in line and this could hurt his confidence. But if it was managed properly, then I see this as only positive
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

A little surprising.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

greeneyed wrote: February 2, 2024, 1:16 pm It makes sense for Fogarty to be vice captain. But in my view, it was also time to make Joe Tapine the co-captain.
could be more about not throwing Tapine in the deep end with a very inexperienced spine? Maybe 2025 when we have figured a few things out and these young guys have a bit of experience is a better time for Tapine to start his captaincy?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

FROG wrote: February 2, 2024, 1:18 pm Cutting smelly would be madness! The cows are hardly and organisation to model yourself against.

I'd have thought taps would have been next in line and this could hurt his confidence. But if it was managed properly, then I see this as only positive
They have better success than us in the last 7-8yrs.
Payten has done a good job with his roster and cap too.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I mean it's the most conservative choice possible, so it was to be expected.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Fogarty said he suggested Tapine but they want someone on the field for 80 minutes (already telling us whitehead won’t be).

I dare say Tapine captain next year with Fog VC
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Should have just kept Croker as a non playing captain
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Whitehead should be captaining NSW Cup!
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Billy Walker wrote: February 2, 2024, 3:50 pm Should have just kept Croker as a non playing captain
Getting Croker involved is more important than winning games of football Billy!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Time for Taps to get his wife on the socials!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: February 2, 2024, 1:08 pm This says a lot of things that it shouldn't...

1. Ricky and/or Whitey are too stubborn to step aside.
2. "Fog has to step up and lead"... I'd argue wearing the 7 means it's in the job description anyway.
3. Taps isn't ready for the responsibility... :roflmao What a slap in the face.
4. You've just VCed the bloke who is "in the way of" the potentially incoming Sanders - the next big thing.

IMO, Taps should be a Co-Capt, which we have done a few times recently, OR, do a Co-VC, thus avoiding the politics.

OR, better yet....

Do what Cows did. Future is now! They cut Lolo and Chad for Deaden and Cotter.
Agree with all the points you’ve made Matt
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New vice-captain Jamal Fogarty lays down marker to young Raiders

Halfback Jamal Fogarty is making his demands known early, reminding Canberra’s youthful spine they will need to blend both brawn and brains if they want to be taken seriously as an NRL premiership threat in 2024.

“I think we just have to be consistent with what we’re doing,” Fogarty said. “Last season we were bottom four in attack and bottom four in defence and we still scraped into the top eight. It shows we’re a gritty team but the more consistent we are, we can hopefully be higher up the ladder.

Read more: https://canberradaily.com.au/new-vice-c ... g-raiders/

'I wanted to tell Sticky I didn't want to': The Raiders' reluctant vice-captain

Jamal Fogarty admits he didn't want to be vice-captain - he saw Elliott Whitehead as the Canberra Raiders captain and that was that.

"To be honest it was probably something I wanted to tell 'Sticky' I didn't want to do," Fogarty said. "In my eyes [Whitehead's] my captain and us as senior players are there to support him and back him up. I'll definitely be more vocal within our team structure - that's the halfback's job.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

'There might be a utility role': Options for Raiders' five-eighth contenders

New Raiders vice-captain Jamal Fogarty was still unsure whether Ethan Strange or Kaeo Weekes would partner him in the halves, with both bringing different strengths to the five-eighth role.

"The last couple of weeks I've had a lot of time with Kaeo and Ethan. We're slowly starting to understand how we play and what we want to do. I'm pretty sure if one of those guys do miss out that there might be a utility role there because Ethan debuted out in the centres and Kaeo's played a bit of 14 for Manly and a bit of fullback.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I like the 7 having a leadership role on field.

Hopefully Tapine has been managed correctly and there is a pathway for him to join Fog next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben & Sev Love Milk
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana and Josh Papali’i

Post by Ben & Sev Love Milk »

100 % agree with Rick
As for Payton it looks to me that he wants Taumalolo out of the club and he is doing what he can to offload his contract.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Gee that’s a slap in the face to Joe Tapine.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Ricky Stuart is not afraid of upsetting people. At all.

This will sting Tapine.

Most blokes in this forum would have given him a go.

But will this improve onfield results in him in 2024?
Quite possibly
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

I think this points to the fact that Elliott won’t be playing 80 every week this season and you need someone who’s definitely going to be on the field when he’s not.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's certainly an interesting move. Im in the camp of people who dont think who has the c next to their name matters a great deal, you get the captains challenge and get to be dismissed by refs and that's kind of the extent of it on the field. You dont even get to decide if we tap and go or kick for goal, as Ricky makes those calls from the bench.
So might as well give it to the bloke you trust most to say the right things in the media responsibilites of captaincy

But with that all being said, Tapine has been very open about his desires to be captain, so it means something to him and passing him up is interesting. I do think this set up makes sense and i expect next year it will continue but with Joe being the fulltime captain and Fog retaining the vice captaincy role (if he's in the side at all)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 2, 2024, 4:40 pm Time for Taps to get his wife on the socials!
:roflmao :clap:
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Fog has spent his career here in the backseat, I haven’t seen half the on field leadership I wanted from him, let alone enough to captain the team. Dare I say his time would be better spent concentrating on leading a team around on the field without worrying about leading it off the field?

Taps is a genuine leader, speaks well and has put his hand up.

This is a kick in the nuts for our best player.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I think its a s simple as Fogs is our playmaker and will be on the field for 80min. Barring injury will play every week.
We have a leadership group in the club , Fogs is part of that as is Taps and Paps
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Matt wrote: February 2, 2024, 7:29 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 2, 2024, 4:40 pm Time for Taps to get his wife on the socials!
:lol:
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

There's 2 or 3 reasons Fogarty has been given this role.

1. He is on the field for 80 minutes. Elliot won't be this season. Neither will Tapine.

2. He speaks a hell of a lot clearer than Elliot. Anyone who has watch a press conference or an interview can see that his accent is very thick. When he is physically exhausted, this is amplified. I know for a fact this has been fed back to the club from the referees.

3. Fogarty needs to step up and feel confident that the team is his. We saw several moments last season where he lacked confidence and self belief. Giving him this role is a show of faith from the entire club that they back him and see him as worthy to lead them. This doesn't always work well for confidence so it is a risk. But given the other 2 reasons above, it has other benefits.

The comments around Tapine are fair but I think from 25 onwards he will be a captain. He should be comfortable with that. It is a team game after all.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

There's 2 or 3 reasons Fogarty has been given this role.

1. He is on the field for 80 minutes. Elliot won't be this season. Neither will Tapine.

2. He speaks a hell of a lot clearer than Elliot. Anyone who has watch a press conference or an interview can see that his accent is very thick. When he is physically exhausted, this is amplified. I know for a fact this has been fed back to the club from the referees.

3. Fogarty needs to step up and feel confident that the team is his. We saw several moments last season where he lacked confidence and self belief. Giving him this role is a show of faith from the entire club that they back him and see him as worthy to lead them. This doesn't always work well for confidence so it is a risk. But given the other 2 reasons above, it has other benefits.

The comments around Tapine are fair but I think from 25 onwards he will be a captain. He should be comfortable with that. It is a team game after all.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bluesbrother wrote:There's 2 or 3 reasons Fogarty has been given this role.

It's nice to have the 'ask Ben' segment back on the forum.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 3, 2024, 9:08 am There's 2 or 3 reasons Fogarty has been given this role.

Good call on point 3 too - I’ve already said I think this indicates reduced minutes/retirement for Whitehead and Tapine for captain next year but Fogarty is “our guy” for 2024 in the sense that we have a spine of:

1. Chevy Stewart (fresh lil 18 year old baby)
6. Ethan Strange/Kaeo Weekes (zero first grade games at 5/8)
7. King Fog
9. Levi/Woolford/Trev (all bread and butter - distribute - make tackles - don’t expect direction etc)

Fog has to play every minute of every game and be our go to guy and if he can find another level and consistency(he won us that broncos game when Wighton and Tapine were out imo) on the back of an in form forward pack that these babies can jump on then they are a really good sniff at playing finals football. Despite as fans, I think the majority of us acknowledge there will be growing pains and the top 8 isn’t a realistic expectation for 2024, the club wouldn’t be in the same camp.

They know they have a young team and there will be adversity throughout the season but they would be confident of playing finals football for a third year in a row.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Beejay wrote: February 2, 2024, 9:17 pm
Matt wrote: February 2, 2024, 7:29 pm
:lol:
Very funny 😀

But also a valid point.

I might be the minority here on this but I don't think Taps would necessarily make a great captain
Few reasons
- will he speak up and challenge the refs?
- is this his idea or her idea? My guess it's her idea.
- is he actually thought of as a leader in the team by the other players or a senior player? The young players seem to look more to papa and fogs then Taps
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Last point is blatantly wrong, go back and watch the interviews with the young forwards who all point to Taps and Papa as leaders within the group
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Even Fogarty suggested Tapine as vice captain.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

This is such a penultimate moment in time.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Fogs makes sense as VC, he is on the field at all times and is supposed to be the playmaker. Looks like a push to take greater responsibility of the team as he will be our 7 for a couple more years yet.
To me this shouldn't mean fogs is cap next year though, I'd still put tarps ahead of him.