All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Re: Peter Hola shuts down interest in Super League move

Post by Raidernation »

Botman wrote: January 21, 2024, 10:06 am
Raidernation wrote: January 21, 2024, 9:29 am I wouldn't include Puru and smithies as props.
Each grade has 2 props starting and 2 in reserve. 4 in firsts and 4 in NSW cup minimum meaning you need 8 players who can play prop forward.
As pointed out, the guys filling in at nsw cup don’t need to be in your top 30
There is absolutely no reason why 1/3rd of our 30 man roster should be middle forwards.
We are unquestionably too heavy on middle forwards in our top squad
Outside of hola I don't see who is ready to step up or drop out. Sanders comes in next season but we have multiple players off contract by then. I get the point here but I'm not seeing who deserves to be in the top 30 who is missing out.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Is it?

You have 5 or 6 middles in the 17 depending on bench makeup.

Roughly a third of your team is middles?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Raidernation wrote: January 21, 2024, 10:32 am
Botman wrote: January 21, 2024, 10:06 am
Raidernation wrote: January 21, 2024, 9:29 am I wouldn't include Puru and smithies as props.
Each grade has 2 props starting and 2 in reserve. 4 in firsts and 4 in NSW cup minimum meaning you need 8 players who can play prop forward.
As pointed out, the guys filling in at nsw cup don’t need to be in your top 30
There is absolutely no reason why 1/3rd of our 30 man roster should be middle forwards.
We are unquestionably too heavy on middle forwards in our top squad
Outside of hola I don't see who is ready to step up or drop out. Sanders comes in next season but we have multiple players off contract by then. I get the point here but I'm not seeing who deserves to be in the top 30 who is missing out.
The club should be trying to offload a middle or two to free up roster space for other positions. We're still short an edge imo, and a half, though i expect Sanders to fill that gap and with the departure of Morkos and HSS, there is an arguement to be made for outside backs
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Offload a Middle and a hooker .
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Patuki-Case and Clydsdale should be in NSW cup most of or all of this year. Theres definitely going to be a roadblock for those guys in the early rounds at least.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

NoMan wrote: January 21, 2024, 11:41 am Patuki-Case and Clydsdale should be in NSW cup most of or all of this year. Theres definitely going to be a roadblock for those guys in the early rounds at least.
Yeah that’s one of the major problems when you’re over invested, it creates road blocks for players you’re trying to develop
Like with all due respect to Peter Hola who is trying to carve out his own career, I want Clydesdale and players like him getting the nsw cup development time over Hola
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm honestly not bothered if we lose him to the comp we want Levi to go to
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prop Peter Hola turns down two Super League clubs to stay in the NRL

CANBERRA RAIDERS prop Peter Hola has rejected two Super League clubs to remain in the NRL, League Express understands. Hola had been linked with a move to the northern hemisphere earlier this month, but the 24-year-old has turned down both Leigh Leopards and Salford Red Devils.

“He hasn’t been offered, but clubs have come chasing him,” agent Chris Orr said. “Leigh and Salford were chasing him but he decided that he still has many years invthe NRL and wants to pursue his NRL journey.

Read more: https://www.totalrl.com/canberra-raider ... in-in-nrl/
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I could write 1000 words on this, but it all boils down to something pretty simple... I think Peter Hola should have taken one of these offers up. I dont see a path to FG for him at this club and i dont see a path for him to prove himself to other clubs either.

I respect him not giving up on his NRL career, and i hope it works out for him one way or the other, because i actually think he's a good player. But his best move might be to jump to the ESL and establish himself there as a quality player at that level. There is a a good long, and very respectable career to be had there.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah I think the highlight of his career with us was this post in 2021
Billy Walker wrote:I heard he is going to South’s in a straight swap for Benji.

Hola for a Marshall
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Botman wrote: January 23, 2024, 8:29 pm I could write 1000 words on this, but it all boils down to something pretty simple... I think Peter Hola should have taken one of these offers up. I dont see a path to FG for him at this club and i dont see a path for him to prove himself to other clubs either.

I respect him not giving up on his NRL career, and i hope it works out for him one way or the other, because i actually think he's a good player. But his best move might be to jump to the ESL and establish himself there as a quality player at that level. There is a a good long, and very respectable career to be had there.
The question is why does Hola see a path? Surely, he’s looked around at the congestion of middles at the club and how he’s well down the pecking order like the rest of us. Why has he still decided to hang around rather than taking the respectable pathway of hitting the ESL?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Ruben Daley wrote: January 25, 2024, 3:45 pm
Botman wrote: January 23, 2024, 8:29 pm I could write 1000 words on this, but it all boils down to something pretty simple... I think Peter Hola should have taken one of these offers up. I dont see a path to FG for him at this club and i dont see a path for him to prove himself to other clubs either.

The question is why does Hola see a path? Surely, he’s looked around at the congestion of middles at the club and how he’s well down the pecking order like the rest of us. Why has he still decided to hang around rather than taking the respectable pathway of hitting the ESL?
You see yourself as an outside chance for a bench spot Ruben?
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Billy Walker wrote: January 25, 2024, 3:59 pm

You see yourself as an outside chance for a bench spot Ruben?
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

I re-read that bit and was going to change it. Goddammit.

I reckon there’s a similar gap between Hola and the 17 as there is between Hola and me in the prop pecking order.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Could be as simple as he doesn't want to move to the UK.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

If we lose Mooney because he was road blocked by Hola and Paulo, then that is bad retention
Mooney was nsw cup captain last year and looked a level above while playing there, also looked to be comfortable in firsts, if he doesn't make the 17 this year, I think he will walk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Neeeegz wrote:If we lose Mooney because he was road blocked by Hola and Paulo, then that is bad retention
Mooney was nsw cup captain last year and looked a level above while playing there, also looked to be comfortable in firsts, if he doesn't make the 17 this year, I think he will walk
and he should

8. Hors
10. Tapine (c)
Young and Hosking
13. Smithies or Whitehead

Bench
Papa
Ata
Trey

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

bonehead wrote: January 26, 2024, 8:56 am
Neeeegz wrote:If we lose Mooney because he was road blocked by Hola and Paulo, then that is bad retention
and he should

8. Hors
10. Tapine (c)
Young and Hosking
13. Smithies or Whitehead

Bench
Papa
Ata
Trey

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
He should get a run in round 1 given Horse is out. I hope he takes his opportunity and stays in the side.

Saulo is a good squad player who could grow a lot more than some think. He hasn't had a good run with injury and is just entering his prime years.

Guler hasn't shown any growth for a few years now. He is the one I think we should be looking to let go. Mooney should be ahead of him.

I too couldn't blame Mooney for leaving. He would walk into a lot of NRL teams.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

NoMan wrote: January 25, 2024, 6:26 pm

Could be as simple as he doesn't want to move to the UK.
Yeah, true. And it’d be clever of his agent not to let that get into the media.