Raiders reject request from Dragons to release Zac Woolford

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Re: Raiders reject request from Dragons to release Zac Woolford

Post by Raidernation »

It makes sense from woolfords point of view in that he can guarantee long term contract at likely more than he is earning and knows at the very least the coaches will try Levi starling combo at some point lowering his value.
Rejecting it makes sense from the raiders as Levi and starling are no locks and woolford has a guaranteed floor which can still win games.
It's pretty likely that none of these 9s are the answer here but there so few anywhere you run with what you have.
Only question is how far woolford is willing to push it to get the release and I suspect not very hard and see what happens by mid season.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

So people blowing up in November because we maybe wanted to let Woolford go….Now blowing up because we want to keep him??
Can’t win…obviously Ricky’s fault…worst coach ever etc etc

If Woolford is any club’s number one hooker then they are a club in need in that position. I agree with the assertion he is backup. He came to the club as he couldn’t get a run in first grade at the dogs and has performed admirably….at backup level not serious title contender level.

Not saying the other two are streets ahead but all three are serviceable without being dynamic imo. Yet to see Levi get some games under his belt but he is a kiwi international at least and you don’t just walk into that team.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
The Ang
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by The Ang »

Send them Levi, Starling, Guler and Saulo
How TF is ZW behind in the depth chart
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Get up on a roof with some Cruisers if you really want out Z Dub.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:
NoMan wrote: January 16, 2024, 4:48 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 16, 2024, 4:46 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: January 16, 2024, 4:43 pm Interesting story.

Tells me that a. Woolford does not expect to get a decent crack at a starting role, and b. the Raiders opened up the door for Woolford to look at other options in September.

On the surface, it's quite odd that the club let him look at his options and then knock back a request for a release.

Either way, I suspect Woolford won't be with the club by the end of the season.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
They opened the door by not re-signing him by 1 November…
Surely they opened the door in September when they told him he wasn't wanted?
Not sure there’s a source which confirms that.
You calling the SMH a bunch of low down liars?

Sheesh!

Fact is, for whatever reason, Zac Woolford is clearly not on the top of Ricky Stuart's list.

Goodness knows why Levi is on the top of the list, but there you go. I can't think of a single thing that Levi does better than Woolford, although I expect he's a more disciplined trainer.

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I'm glad we said no, coz I think he's either our best or 2nd best 9, even if the coach disagrees.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I doubt the Raiders would block the move if Woolford wasn’t in the plans for 2024 season. He was our first choice hooker for the back half of last season.

Either he’s in our plans, we’re trying to extract something in return from Saints or we’re just being plain difficult.

Ricky rarely stands in the way of a player he doesn’t want in the club. So I don’t think he’s just playing silly buggers.

BTW, I’m not sure I’d want to be a backup hooker at the Dragons.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BJ wrote: January 16, 2024, 5:48 pm I doubt the Raiders would block the move if Woolford wasn’t in the plans for 2024 season. He was our first choice hooker for the back half of last season.

Either he’s in our plans, we’re trying to extract something in return from Saints or we’re just being plain difficult.

Ricky rarely stands in the way of a player he doesn’t want in the club. So I don’t think he’s just playing silly buggers.

BTW, I’m not sure I’d want to be a backup hooker at the Dragons.
The newspaper seems to think Levi and Starling are ahead of him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NoMan wrote: January 16, 2024, 4:54 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 16, 2024, 4:52 pm
NoMan wrote: January 16, 2024, 4:48 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 16, 2024, 4:46 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: January 16, 2024, 4:43 pm Interesting story.

Tells me that a. Woolford does not expect to get a decent crack at a starting role, and b. the Raiders opened up the door for Woolford to look at other options in September.

On the surface, it's quite odd that the club let him look at his options and then knock back a request for a release.

Either way, I suspect Woolford won't be with the club by the end of the season.

They opened the door by not re-signing him by 1 November…
Surely they opened the door in September when they told him he wasn't wanted?
Not sure there’s a source which confirms that.
It's in the article. I'd be surprised if that part was made up but who knows.
Sorry, having re-read, I see that now.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The clubs continued miss evaluation of the hooker position is baffling

at some point on field performance has to matter doesn’t it? You can be fit, you can be a great trainer all you like, if you can’t **** play on Sunday what good does that do?

I hope Woolford leaves, the club and coach deserves to be saddled with the trash they continue to invest time and opportunity in.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

It looks like hedging bets.

Sticky rates Levi, but just in case the previous 120+ below average games really were an indicator of Danny’s ceiling, he can keep Germ Jnr around just in case. Doesn’t rate him enough to give him an extension over Danny with a broken jaw or Starlo with a number of court cases pending last year, but he’s a good safety blanket.
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

What makes the whole Levi thing even more interesting, is when he did come back from his broken jaw and had played a number of cup games, he still didn't get called up to first grade.
If Ricky loves him so - then why wasn't he called up?
If Zac is better than Levi, then why are we looking at letting him go?

There are inconsistencies in either narrative here - its very confusing.
President Clinton
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Stuart mustn’t think Woolford is a top flight nine and we will be looking to get one from 2025. Did we not extend him, but say he could look for a role for 2025? And he’s come back for a release because he found something earlier…

That’s how I see it.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

While he's probably our best current option i Think some people are probably still remembering Woolfords 2022 when he was an attacking threat, his 2023 was very very average imo.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: January 16, 2024, 6:36 pm While he's probably our best current option i Think some people are probably still remembering Woolfords 2022 when he was an attacking threat, his 2023 was very very average imo.
I dont think many, if anyone, thinks Woolford is anything more than our best hooker... we need a long term hooker but until we find one, telling our best one he's not wanted and having him trying to get an early release doesnt feel like a way to improve the football team
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

I don’t think any of the number 9’s in our system are the answer but I am interested to see Trevilyan and whether Starling can recapture some good form.

FWIW, I do think Levi is a better defender than Woolford. Woolford has had some horrible try causes over the last two years.
President Clinton
Brett Mullins

Botman wrote: January 16, 2024, 6:40 pm
kiwi raider wrote: January 16, 2024, 6:36 pm While he's probably our best current option i Think some people are probably still remembering Woolfords 2022 when he was an attacking threat, his 2023 was very very average imo.
I dont think many, if anyone, thinks Woolford is anything more than our best hooker... we need a long term hooker but until we find one, telling our best one he's not wanted and having him trying to get an early release doesnt feel like a way to improve the football team
I think we just didn’t extend him rather than tell him he is not wanted. And if we don’t believe he is the long term answer, it is probably the right thing to do.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: January 16, 2024, 6:47 pm I don’t think any of the number 9’s in our system are the answer but I am interested to see Trevilyan and whether Starling can recapture some good form.

FWIW, I do think Levi is a better defender than Woolford. Woolford has had some horrible try causes over the last two years.
That’s not what the numbers show.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

President Clinton wrote: January 16, 2024, 6:55 pm
I think we just didn’t extend him rather than tell him he is not wanted. And if we don’t believe he is the long term answer, it is probably the right thing to do.
He was given permission by the club to seek other options in September. It's not just that they dont want to extend him, they were happy for him to find another club. If asked you asked your partner if theywere happy in the relationship and their response was "Happy for you to go out tonight and see if you can find someone else" how wanted do you reckon you'd feel?

And the right thing to do was to let Starling and/or Levi go and keep Woolford as the bridge option until we find the long term solution.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote:I don’t think any of the number 9’s in our system are the answer but I am interested to see Trevilyan and whether Starling can recapture some good form.

Levi looks like he should be a better defender, but he really isn't.

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Old School Green wrote: January 16, 2024, 5:16 pm So people blowing up in November because we maybe wanted to let Woolford go….Now blowing up because we want to keep him??

If Woolford is any club’s number one hooker then they are a club in need in that position. I agree with the assertion he is backup. He came to the club as he couldn’t get a run in first grade at the dogs and has performed admirably….at backup level not serious title contender level.

Not saying the other two are streets ahead but all three are serviceable without being dynamic imo. Yet to see Levi get some games under his belt but he is a kiwi international at least and you don’t just walk into that team.
Our entire club is "at backup level not serious title contender level" so he fits right in. People are upset because we signed the worst two hookers at the club to extended contracts and left the man who should be our primary (assuming we never manage to pull in an A-grade hooker, in which case he would still be our best backup) in the dirt with-out a contract for beyond 2024. Surely you sign the best you have at least and even more so when he would have been on near minimal wage?

Looking from the outside in it just seems like terrible management with no valid reasoning anyone can ascertain, and hence it becomes guess work like "Stuart doesn't think he bleeds Green enough" or similar...
President Clinton
Brett Mullins

Botman wrote: January 16, 2024, 7:12 pm
He was given permission by the club to seek other options in September. It's not just that they dont want to extend him, they were happy for him to find another club. If asked you asked your partner if theywere happy in the relationship and their response was "Happy for you to go out tonight and see if you can find someone else" how wanted do you reckon you'd feel?

And the right thing to do was to let Starling and/or Levi go and keep Woolford as the bridge option until we find the long term solution.
I can’t read the article, but if we granted him permission to find another club for 2024 and he’s done that and we’ve rejected…moronic.
Last edited by President Clinton on January 16, 2024, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

President Clinton wrote: January 16, 2024, 7:52 pm
Botman wrote: January 16, 2024, 7:12 pm

I can read the article, but if we granted him permission to find another club for 2024 and he’s done that and we’ve rejected…moronic.
It would make more sense if the raiders told woolford he could test the market in September for 2025 and not this year. I can't imagine they would get rid of woolford this year without having someone lined up to replace him so considering there is zero noise about a replacement option 1 makes more sense.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The answer is they think they have the replacement
Levi and Starling

They're wrong, and we all know that. They dont and that's a real **** problem.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Old School Green wrote: January 16, 2024, 5:16 pm So people blowing up in November because we maybe wanted to let Woolford go….Now blowing up because we want to keep him??

Have you watched Levi play often? I have. It's never been good.

I'd trade Levi first and Woolford last, before I see how Trev pulls up this pre season.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Who? Name them
I dont think those people actually exist.
Old School Green wrote: January 16, 2024, 5:16 pmYet to see Levi get some games under his belt but he is a kiwi international at least and you don’t just walk into that team.
Go and research NZ hookers and come back to me. It's very much a position a lot of very ordinary footballers have indeed walked into
President Clinton
Brett Mullins

Botman wrote: January 16, 2024, 8:30 pm The answer is they think they have the replacement
Levi and Starling

They're wrong, and we all know that. They dont and that's a real **** problem.
This can’t be the case, otherwise they’d let him go.

I’d wager the Raiders think Woolford only offers value as a starter, but he isn’t the man beyond this year.

Whereas Starling and Levi offer spark off the bench / some utility value as part of the broader squad.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

This has coach Numb Nut’s fingerprints all over it.

Frankly the fact that rumours have been bubbling away all off season about Woolford is very ordinary. Hooker is a position you need a clear plan with, you can’t be still holding a camp battle for it in January.

If Rick’s plan is favouring Levi or Starling over Woolford (who is dramatically better than both of them), he might just have finally wandered off the reservation. The great man knows we can’t tank for draft picks in the NRL right???
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m good with this. Woolford isn’t our guy and Levi will make people eat their words.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yep, like he has at the 5 other clubs he's been binned from
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

People making the case that Woolford is miles ahead of Levi is a baffling. Whilst I agree that Woolford is the better player, it isn't by much.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

BadnMean wrote: January 16, 2024, 8:32 pm

I'd trade Levi first and Woolford last, before I see how Trev pulls up this pre season.
No I haven’t…hence the comment. He has had limited opportunities with us due to injuries. Woolford and Starling have had lots. I’ve seen what they can do in this team and I don’t think much separates all three.

Additionally only one is an international. And that’s Levi. So we shall see how he goes if he stays on the park. I read here he played well with regular games under his belt in NSW Cup late last season under Gits so I’m keen to see what he offers when not injured.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Old School Green wrote: January 16, 2024, 11:14 pm

No I haven’t…hence the comment. He has had limited opportunities with us due to injuries. Woolford and Starling have had lots. I’ve seen what they can do in this team and I don’t think much separates all three.

Additionally only one is an international. And that’s Levi. So we shall see how he goes if he stays on the park. I read here he played well with regular games under his belt in NSW Cup late last season under Gits so I’m keen to see what he offers when not injured.
Levi played perfectly healthy at the start of last year...

Here are the full replays of the games (see links below) and his stats:

Round 1 - 40 minutes, 2 runs for 26 metres (3m post contact), 27 tackles @87.1 efficiency (3 missed, 1 ineffective), 1 penalty.
Round 2 - 55 minutes, 4 runs for 26 metres (3m post contact), 1 try assist, 1 tackle break, 35 tackles @87.5% efficiency (2 missed, 3 ineffective), 1 kick for 3 metres, 1 error, 2 penalties.
*Broke his jaw in round 3.
Round 12 - 27 minutes, 1 run for 18 metres (5m post contact), 14 tackles @87.5$ efficiency (2 missed).

https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... nd-1-2023/

https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... nd-2-2023/

https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... d-12-2023/

And he is only a NZ international because better players, like even Woolford or Starling, aren't New Zealanders....
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ultima wrote:
Old School Green wrote: January 16, 2024, 11:14 pm

Levi played perfectly healthy at the start of last year...

Here are the full replays of the games (see links below) and his stats:

Round 1 - 40 minutes, 2 runs for 26 metres (3m post contact), 27 tackles @87.1 efficiency (3 missed, 1 ineffective), 1 penalty.
Round 2 - 55 minutes, 4 runs for 26 metres (3m post contact), 1 try assist, 1 tackle break, 35 tackles @87.5% efficiency (2 missed, 3 ineffective), 1 kick for 3 metres, 1 error, 2 penalties.
*Broke his jaw in round 3.
Round 12 - 27 minutes, 1 run for 18 metres (5m post contact), 14 tackles @87.5$ efficiency (2 missed).

https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... nd-1-2023/

https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... nd-2-2023/

https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... d-12-2023/

And he is only a NZ international because better players, like even Woolford or Starling, aren't New Zealanders....
Levi's defence is pretty solid and he does more work defensively than the other two.
Woolford's service is better than the other two.
Starling's running game is better than the other two, but not as explosive as when he first burst onto the scene.

Depends what you / we want out of a hooker?

I think most see that our forwards get on a better roll with better service and while our forward pack is still our strength surely that (service) has to be the most important attribute you want from your hooker.

While we have a new and developing spine surely - again - the service they receive from dummy half is critical. Giving these young blokes that extra time is really important. Even if it's just a half a second to a second, it's so important. You simply can't have a dummy half that picks up the ball and pivots, looking around to where he is going to pass it. Neither Levi or Starling can pass well enough off the ground and it stifles our entire attack.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Sometimes you have to look at things through the coaches eyes. And look to history for pointers.

What odds that Wolf actually starts the year in the 9 jersey because Sticky has transitioned Levi to 6? He’s a footballer after all.

Every year we get a left field selection, and he has history of trying to turn 7s into 9s.. why not go the other way?